• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/hEUKV9B05GI
There may still be hope! Small, but still!

Also I'm being hyperbolic for how much I dislike Nakoruru. Birds are cool. I just prefer Doom Slayer several octillion times more.
Eh. Doomguy is pretty boring to me, and aren't there enough Western characters in the roster already? People need to stop being selfish after we just got many characters highly requested in the West like K. Rool, Ridley, and now Banjo.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Eh. Doomguy is pretty boring to me, and aren't there enough Western characters in the roster already? People need to stop being selfish after we just got many characters highly requested in the West like K. Rool, Ridley, and now Banjo.
The East/West argument would make more sense to me if Smash were only released in one region.
But most of Smash's fanbase is Western. Does money not talk?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Take a closer look at the number of votes, and then compare the two on Google Trends. Mai is “Miss Fighting Games” not Terry, Geese, or Nako. Mai is Chun-Li’s Rival. Not Terry, Geese, or Nako.
>Literal character popularity poll from SNK
>Dude but check out google trends

Mai is not even "Miss Fighting Games" majority of her popularity comes from how sexualized she is. Nakoruru is more popular than her. Please stop.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Who would you deem as expected?
I'd say that a character like Rayman would be expected third party.
Getting closer, maybe switch to Nintendo properties to make the cost depreciation worth it.
Ending the whole game on Waluigi, thusly.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Just saying everyone but banjo is promoting a game. its a trend so far. I just want confirmation that they weren't confused or anything. Because just saying yes and then silent isn't helping it.
I'm sorry but I still refuse to believe Joker was announced to promote the Musou spinoff. That makes no sense to me.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Just watched a Nakoruru trailer from Samurai Showdown, and wow. She seems like she could have a really unique and whimsical moveset. (guess I have a thing for bird companions)

I'm already more than satisfied with this roster thanks to Banjo & Kazooie... But KoF has really cool characters, and none of them are named Terry or Kyo. lol

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Nakoruru is pretty much confirmed. All of the leaks leading up to this have led to this point. "Random female fighting character", "girl with a flying weapon", "bird pic from sabis discord", SNK

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
If you think, KOF is bigger deal than ShoSho, a most well known franchise, so If guess that Kyo, Terry and Mai fit better than Nako. Speaking of which the females are not the face of their franchises and that hurts their chances in my opinion, being Kyo or Terry more logical... But Ultimate killed the logic, so who knows ... If I had to choose one I'll go with Mai but is my own subjective vision.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As a former ardent Google Theory supporter until just hours ago, I can confidently say that I was wrong, and ANYONE that doesn't see that the next character is Nakoruru is BLIND.
I'm MORE convinced of this than I was with Erdrick, and I was ready to bet the farm on Erdrick. The stars are perfectly aligned.
1. Sabi's bird -> Nakoruru
2. Flying weapon leak -> Nakoruru
3. SNK leak straight from Nintendo that is completely undeniable -> Nakoruru
4. New Samurai Showdown game coming to Switch -> Nakoruru

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
idk man i think doomguys a lock
I hope so. I can live without Hayabusa, but after getting used to the idea, Doom Slayer started to pull on my heartstrings.
The only way I can see Ryu coming now is if Nintendo's like, "Ey guys! We know Nakoruru and Ryu Hayabusa are both relatively niche picks, and since they're releasing during the holiday season, we thought we'd be festive and include them both in Challenger Pack 4! Happy Holidays!"
I'm really grasping here. :laugh:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As a former ardent Google Theory supporter until just hours ago, I can confidently say that I was wrong, and ANYONE that doesn't see that the next character is Nakoruru is BLIND.
I'm MORE convinced of this than I was with Erdrick, and I was ready to bet the farm on Erdrick. The stars are perfectly aligned.
1. Sabi's bird -> Nakoruru
2. Flying weapon leak -> Nakoruru
3. SNK leak straight from Nintendo that is completely undeniable -> Nakoruru
4. New Samurai Showdown game coming to Switch -> Nakoruru
I dunno man it could be King

https://www.fightersgeneration.com/np6/char/nw/king-nw.jpg

Source: me I love her

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The bird image from Sabi’s private discord has been confirmed to have nothing to do with KoF and maybe SNK as a whole (not sure).

Fatmanonice and the others in the know aren’t allowed to say what it’s for, however, and they might not be able to even when what it’s for has passed...

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1347#post-23519539

“selfish”

My dude, this is a videogame, and most people don’t actually give a frick about what region the character is from anyway, they just want the character. The only reason the West argument existed was because some people said a Western-owned character could never happen until Banjo came and they stopped saying it or moved the goalposts. No one is being selfish, we’re consumers and it’s not like we’re throwing fits over the game anyway (well, most people at least).

And even if people did want more Western representation and didn’t care about the characters themselves, the roster is still 90% Eastern.

Also, a whole lot of people in the East loved Banjo-Kazooie’s reveal and some of the Western characters Nintendo owns, so what you’re saying isn’t fair (not that it’s fair to begin with).

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Calling this now. When Sakurai does his stream for the SNK fighter, he will mention, "I enjoyed King of Fighters a lot back in the day, but Super Smash Bros. is now the highest selling fighting game franchise, so who's the REAL king of fighters?"

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
how does this put you in a position to call other people blind?

cothero

Smash Lord
Nakoruru is pretty much confirmed. All of the leaks leading up to this have led to this point. "Random female fighting character", "girl with a flying weapon", "bird pic from sabis discord", SNK
If i'm not mistaken, i remember that some dataminer found a "ponytail" reference on a DLC character file, so Terry could still be on board. Also, chosing Nakoruru as a DLC fighter would be quite strange, i mean, she's cool and all, but she's not even the protagonist from the Samurai Shodown series.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I just want to point out that Nakoruru is ALSO a KoF character.

And I argue that barely counts for anything considering she's only in one game. That being said...

The bird image from Sabi’s private discord has been confirmed to have nothing to do with KoF and maybe SNK as a whole (not sure).

Fatmanonice and the others in the know aren’t allowed to say what it’s for, however, and they might not be able to even when what it’s for has passed...

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1347#post-23519539
While the picture itself may not be related to KoF, it could be related to Samurai Shodown... :mybodyisreggie:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
how does this put you in a position to call other people blind?
Because it immediately dissolved my faith in another theory.
I base my options based on data, and at the time, Google Theory had the most going for it, getting Banjo right and being unreplicable. Artorias was explained to likely be an algorithm, so I discarded him.
But this leak comes straight from NINTENDO, and satisfies not one, but TWO popular leaks, one being from Sabi.
My beliefs instantly changed upon the new data.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While the picture itself may not be related to KoF, it could be related to Samurai Shodown... :mybodyisreggie:
That’s true.

From what he’s said I’m honestly kinda confused about it and if he meant any SNK character (someone later said he mentioned SNK but I don’t remember), as it seems like it may not be for Smash, but I don’t know.

D

Deleted member

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1347#post-23519539

“selfish”

My dude, this is a videogame, and most people don’t actually give a frick about what region the character is from anyway, they just want the character. The only reason the West argument existed was because some people said a Western-owned character could never happen until Banjo. No one is being selfish, we’re consumers and it’s not like we’re throwing fits over the game anyway (well, most people at least).

And even if people did want more Western representation and didn’t care about the characters themselves, the roster is still 90% Eastern.
Regarding the bird picture, at this point this **** is ****ing ridiculous.
Vergeben has said he's heard a name in relation to a SNK character being in Smash.

He's said that he doesn't want to say anything more than that.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77980705?jumpto=32#32
Interesting, next couple of days should be fun. Haven't played pretty much anything of SNK but congrats to the fans.

D

Deleted member

Vergeben has said he's heard a name in relation to a SNK character being in Smash.

He's said that he doesn't want to say anything more than that.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77980705?jumpto=32#32
Looks like the signs are definitely pointing to an SNK character.

It's a shame for me since I have a bigger bias for Hayabusa than an SNK rep and the 4th pack being make or break for Ninja Gaiden, so I'm pretty much dead set on him being deconfirmed whenever Verge starts saying who the SNK rep could possibly be. That said, an SNK rep is a great pick for the 4th Fighter Pack, so it'll still be cool to see who it is.

StormC

Smash Hero
Is this your schtick or something?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wow. 3 out of 75... what a good ratio.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Because it immediately dissolved my faith in another theory.
I base my options based on data, and at the time, Google Theory had the most going for it, getting Banjo right and being unreplicable. Artorias was explained to likely be an algorithm, so I discarded him.
But this leak comes straight from NINTENDO, and satisfies not one, but TWO popular leaks, one being from Sabi.
My beliefs instantly changed upon the new data.
it sounds like you’re just trying to reconcile possibly unrelated rumors. That doesn’t sound like good data to me.

Google theory didn’t have anything going for it besides Banjo, but Banjo was in every other rumor. There were too many gaps in Google theory to even consider entertaining it.

On the topic of Sabi, they apparently teased KoF stuff in their private discord. I’m not completely in the loop, but maybe that’s something worth looking into before you go 100% in.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Wow. 3 out of 75... what a good ratio.
And like only two of the characters he listed were actually made in the west. And only one is a 3rd party owned by a western company. Man these western characters are really over filling the roster aren’t they?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
it sounds like you’re just trying to reconcile possibly unrelated rumors. That doesn’t sound like good data to me.

Google theory didn’t have anything going for it besides Banjo, but Banjo was in every other rumor. There were too many gaps in Google theory to even consider entertaining it.

On the topic of Sabi, they apparently teased KoF stuff in their private discord. I’m not completely in the loop, but maybe that’s something worth looking into before you go 100% in.
It was how "unfakeable" it was that got me. Getting a Google ad is no small thing, and no one was able to disprove it by buying an ad that linked to the Fighter's Pass.
But unless all this smoke for SNK bares no fire, it seems I was fooled.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Is the image that is floating around any kind of definitive SNK character popularity poll? Feels like we've kind of settled on Terry/Kyo/Mai/Nakoruru as the front runners?

Terry being the original Fatal Fury character (and to many extents the face of SNK)
Kyo being the protagonist of King of Fighters originally (which is most likely what Sakurai would have been playing back in the 90s)
Mai because of cultural recognition (I feel like this is the weakest of the four, just based on how Sakurai tends to pick characters, and also other attributes)
Nakoruru being the face of Samurai Shodown (although Haohmaru is the protag, which works against much like Mai), has appeared in KoF which would cover Sabi's line about it being a KoF character, and has a load of smaller leaks that seem to point to her, as well being in a game coming to Switch in December.

Does that more or less sum up who our front runners are at the moment?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Is the image that is floating around any kind of definitive SNK character popularity poll? Feels like we've kind of settled on Terry/Kyo/Mai/Nakoruru as the front runners?

Terry being the original Fatal Fury character (and to many extents the face of SNK)
Kyo being the protagonist of King of Fighters originally (which is most likely what Sakurai would have been playing back in the 90s)
Mai because of cultural recognition (I feel like this is the weakest of the four, just based on how Sakurai tends to pick characters, and also other attributes)
Nakoruru being the face of Samurai Shodown (although Haohmaru is the protag, which works against much like Mai), has appeared in KoF which would cover Sabi's line about it being a KoF character, and has a load of smaller leaks that seem to point to her, as well being in a game coming to Switch in December.

Does that more or less sum up who our front runners are at the moment?
It's a low sample size but it's pretty accurate all things considered. It's from last year, iirc.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It was how "unfakeable" it was that got me. Getting a Google ad is no small thing, and no one was able to disprove it by buying an ad that linked to the Fighter's Pass.
But unless all this smoke for SNK bares no fire, it seems I was fooled.
Getting a google ad absolutely is a small thing, and if you pay per click and target a specific region, it’s not even expensive.
Wow, way to stick his neck out.

Uhhh guys, I also heard about SNK! Possibly a fighting game character too. There, am I a leaker now?
he is actually in contact with sabi atm. He probably heard from them yesterday. Sabi DM’d verge after Sabi got caught lying about DM’ing verge... yeah it’s kind of stupid.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fan boy in me wants it all to be fake and it be Ryu Hayabusa because I've been wanting this character for forever it seems.

The psychopath in me wants to see Hayabusa get revealed just to see the ceiling crumble down on the fanbase when the one no name insider is right and the two reputable insiders and the Nintendo Website itself are completely wrong.

The realist in me is just thankful I got Snake, Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and a tons more in a single game and is looking forward to the potential SNK rep. I know they'll blow me away and I'm more than satisfied with the Pass as is.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
The fan boy in me wants it all to be fake and it be Ryu Hayabusa because I've been wanting this character for forever it seems.

The psychopath in me wants to see Hayabusa get revealed just to see the ceiling crumble down on the fanbase when the one no name insider is right and the two reputable insiders and the Nintendo Website itself are completely wrong.

The realist in me is just thankful I got Snake, Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and a tons more in a single game and is looking forward to the potential SNK rep. I know they'll blow me away and I'm more than satisfied with the Pass as is.
Still one more character on the pass after this! And if it is SNK, then that becomes a free for all!

D

Deleted member

Wow, way to stick his neck out.

Uhhh guys, I also heard about SNK! Possibly a fighting game character too. There, am I a leaker now?
I predic- I mean “Leaked” yeah, that’s what I mean guys, I leaked Mai two months ago, can I get insider street cred if- I mean, when it turns out to be the case? I mean, look at my track record guys, I was right about Banjo and a few others too!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I predic- I mean “Leaked” yeah, that’s what I mean guys, I leaked Mai two months ago, can I get insider street cred if- I mean, when it turns out to be the case? I mean, look at my track record guys, I was right about Banjo and a few others too!
1) Mai is not gonna be the character

2) Vergeben has nothing to prove. We know he's legit. So even if this post from him is vague and safe, it doesn't have any effect (positive or negative) on his credibility as a leaker.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well evidence IMO points it toward being Nakoruru and the only rumor that had her was that 5ch ones with Tales and RE. The guy also claimed that Hero would come with Slime Hat and Erdrick's Armor mii costumes which he did. So the last fighter is likely Tales or RE IMO.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
1) Mai is not gonna be the character

2) Vergeben has nothing to prove. We know he's legit. So even if this post from him is vague and safe, it doesn't have any effect (positive or negative) on his credibility as a leaker.
A leaker only has credibility as long as he continues leaking. If he expects us to keep paying attention to him when all he's had to say for months is 'Uh yeah I heard that too' he's got another thing coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom