• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
A worldwide release date announcement for Samurai Shodown and Nakoruru in Smash would certainly go a long way towards to maybe piquing the interest of Western fans.

Obviously Banjo and Joker arent promoting anything, but I feel like the Dragon Quest XI S/Hero cross promotion has done wonders for that franchise, and wouldn't be surprised if SNK would be interested in something similar.

But realistically Sakurai chooses protags and the obvious choices are Terry and Kyo.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As someone overall unfamiliar with SNK there's a few names I see tossed around that being the currently discussed Kyo, Terry and Mai.

However the fourth SNK name I heard a lot pre-this leak was Iori. Is he particularly significant or just a popular character from KOF?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
As someone overall unfamiliar with SNK there's a few names I see tossed around that being the currently discussed Kyo, Terry and Mai.

However the fourth SNK name I heard a lot pre-this leak was Iori. Is he particularly significant or just a popular character from KOF?
He's Kyo's main rival, and is quite popular too.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Iori is Kyo's rival, like Ken. You can find out more by googling.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
A worldwide release date announcement for Samurai Shodown and Nakoruru in Smash would certainly go a long way towards to maybe piquing the interest of Western fans.

Obviously Banjo and Joker arent promoting anything, but I feel like the Dragon Quest XI S/Hero cross promotion has done wonders for that franchise, and wouldn't be surprised if SNK would be interested in something similar.

But realistically Sakurai chooses protags and the obvious choices are Terry and Kyo.
I agree that Nakoruru should be chosen but ain't Samurai Showdown coming out only in Japan ?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Luckily we probably won't have to wait too long until the SNK character is revealed.
We might even get the Nintendo Direct announcement today if it airs this Wednesday instead of Thursday though I doubt it...
Anyway NAKORURU FOR SMASH

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I agree that Nakoruru should be chosen but ain't Samurai Showdown coming out only in Japan ?
I think its listed for Q4 Japan at the moment, with a worldwide release to follow. But announcing that date during a direct with Nakoruru being in Smash would be a smart move

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know, just Sabi saying is obvious doesn't say anything about who it is. Thats a super vague leak that can be right no matter who is picked, saved a metal slug character. It could fot Terry, it could fit Mai, it could fit Kyo, it could fit Nakoruru.

Right now, its best to just... wait till someone else says something, VR plant or something, or wait till the direct this week. No use just keep dancing around Sabi's dance.

its obvious right now she is being super vague due to the C&D, so she cannot have anything directly traced back to her. she is painting a fine line right now though

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder that as of right now, every dlc fighter in Smash Ultimate as a companion with them on the Smash Ultimate Mural.
Y'all get what I mean? :p

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
You know, just Sabi saying is obvious doesn't say anything about who it is. Thats a super vague leak that can be right no matter who is picked, saved a metal slug character. It could fot Terry, it could fit Mai, it could fit Kyo, it could fit Nakoruru.

Right now, its best to just... wait till someone else says something, VR plant or something, or wait till the direct this week. No use just keep dancing around Sabi's dance.

its obvious right now she is being super vague due to the C&D, so she cannot have anything directly traced back to her. she is painting a fine line right now though
i mean when i think of SNK i think of terry for the most part but your right it's best too wait

zferolie

Smash Hero
Friendly reminder that as of right now, every dlc fighter in Smash Ultimate as a companion with them on the Smash Ultimate Mural.
If it keeps that pattern, then Nakoruru seems the most likely

i mean when i think of SNK i think of terry for the most part but your right it's best too wait
Thats exactly my point. some people may say the obvious is Mai, others Kyo, and others Nakoruru.

ze9

Smash Ace
Yeah, can't wait to see Marco with the war prisoner who's handing him a heavy machine gun.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I have no knowledge on SNK but the funny and great thing with Smash is that it introduces me to all these new game series, even if through just rumors/leaks which may not even end up being the real deal. Anyway, after done some research, my personal choice would be Nakoruru since she seems to bring the most new stuff to the table. But I dunno. Kinda bummed we're looking to get another human character, though I guess there aren't that many big animals/other creatures to choose from.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
If it keeps that pattern, then Nakoruru seems the most likely

Thats exactly my point. some people may say the obvious is Mai, others Kyo, and others Nakoruru.
I mean if it's terry I'll riot if I don't hear him say ARE YOU OKAY

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm almost certain its Kyo. All the Challenger Packs are framed as "Super Smash Bros. X [insert franchise or game here]" and not "Smash Bros. X [Insert company here]" and it would be weird to have a franchise represented by what are as far as KoF itself is concerned basically minor side characters (Terry, Mai) and a guest star (Nakoruru) as opposed to its literal posterboy and Sakurai is very peculiar about representing each franchise as accurately as possible.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
terry is the most realistic. you can build him easily using ken assets already in-game.

kyo imo has the second-best odds.
mai is third.

Attachments

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
terry is the most realistic. you can build him easily using ken assets already in-game.
That's why I don't feel that interested in Terry. I get his importance though but he feels too much coming across like Ken at least in terms of vibe and appearance.

Kyo on the other hand though.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
In regards to Mai, apart from Joker and Cloud (mostly because their franchuses consist of standalone games). Has there ever been a character from a new franchise to Smash who was not present in the first game in that franchise?

Edit: just realised Ness and Hero are also significant exceptions. Interestingly all JRPG characters from franchises who's games more or less standalone.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
In regards to Mai, apart from Joker and Cloud (mostly because their franchuses consist of standalone games). Has there ever been a character from a new franchise to Smash who was not present in the first game in that franchise?
Earthbound

No one from the first game was in when Ness got in Smash 64.

Also Dragon Quest. Although the Hero from the first game does appear, the playable ones are from 3, 4, 8, and 11.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
On the SNK rep - To be honest, I had a feeling that based on the number of their characters featured as guests from Geese Howard in Tekken 7 to Mai Shiranui in Dead or Alive to Haohmaru in SoulCalibur 6, I wasn't going to be that surprised that they would want someone from SNK to rep their franchise for Smash.

My personal choices would be between King of Fighter's Kyo Kusanagi, Fatal Fury's Terry Bogard or Mai Shiranui, Psycho Soldier's Athena Asamiya or Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Funny enough, just look at the back cover of the latest Famitsu
https://imgur.com/MlTR5Va (big image)
With Joker Promoting the switch Version of Persona 5 and the Persona Warriors game, Hero promoting DQ11S on the switch, and MAYBE Banjo promoting a rare replay or banjo VC games coming, it would make sense to pick a SamSho character to promote that switch game.

Also, every SNK Guest character has been a different character. Terry is in Fighter EX, The samurai is in Soul Caliber, and Mai is in DoA. I have a feeling they may be doing that on purpose, for both legal(maybe those characters can only crossover in those, like how Snake couldn't be in PSASBR due to smash and they put in Raiden instead), and marketing reasons(the more characters of yours you spread around the more interest in your brand overall). That feels like Nakoruru would be the pick for smash, despite Sabi saying its a KoF fighter(and lets be honest, she wants to leak but is being super vague so we cannot tell what is actually legit or what she fully means)

However, I'm still set on the Milk Botsu leak, so I am expecting Nakoruru or Mai.

zferolie

Smash Hero
From the art I find it hard to believe the bird girl would be the playable character. With how people seem to think shes likely I thought she was the main character but it looks more like shes the 'Cammy' of the game (random female player 2)
The Samurai is the main character, but she is considered the face, and is the top 3 most popular SNK characters. I don't even think the samurai is in the top 10

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
After giving it some thought, I’m thinking it’s Nakoruru.

Take a step back and look at all the pieces:

-It’s SNK for sure.
-Milk Bosatsu correctly called the Hero release, Labo VR, and a few other things, and has been saying one of the fighters is female for a while.
-So FEMALE for sure.
-MB also gave the following three criteria - fighting game, female, has a “flying weapon” compared it to a boomerang.
Now, stop focusing on the Hawk for a bit, and look at this:
View attachment 236471

Look at the object on her back that she’s holding in her hand... What does it LOOK like? If you’re looking at a colorless 3D model on screen, it wouldn’t be hard to say that looks like a boomerang. Especially if you don’t know the character. Mamahaha would also be a seperate model animated and rigged seoerately, so it’s unlikely you’d see them together during the modeling process. Whereas Nako’s sword is an object within her model and would be placed alongside her.

Continuing on...
-There was the Starling leak on Sabi’s discord, people assumed it was a cryptic hint for Geno (STARling), no, it was way more obvious.
-This one’s a good one: Ryu Hayabusa was a serious point of discussion recently due to other leaks. What’s Hayabusa even mean in Japanese? 隼 (はやぶさ), is the Japanese word for Falcon, more specifically, the Peregrine Falcon. Look familiar to a certain hawk?
Often false leaks crop up due to connections to a legit character, Steve in relation to Banjo being a decent example.
-Last one, Nako is the only major SNK character not in any major 3rd party crossover. SNK Heroines and SamSho are her most recent appearances.

So, it’s not just one thing. But you’ve got multiple things pointing straight at Nakoruru. Like, there comes a point, where you do have to take a step back and look at where all the clues are pointing, like we had with Banjo right before E3. It’s too much, for at least me to ignore. Out of three-four SNK characters that could be in Smash, she has the most clues in her favor. I’m like, 90% sure she’s in.
Milk Bosatsu also said the female character is not Reimu from Touhou, right? Why do you think he would specifically mention Reimu and not other female characters? Look at Reimu's design below and compare it to Nakoruru:

https://i.imgtc.ws/mN2TCxX.png

Get what I'm trying to say? You'd be forgiven if you mistake them for the same person. The fact they are both shrine maidens also means something.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Milk Bosatsu also said the female character is not Reimu from Touhou, right? Why do you think he would specifically mention Reimu and not other female characters? Look at Reimu's design below and compare it to Nakoruru:

Get what I'm trying to say? You'd be forgiven if you mistake them for the same person. The fact they are both shrine maidens also means something.
I want reimu as much as the next guy for sure. Its possible the person knew who reimu was and could tell it wasn't? who knows.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
It's basically Terry, Kyo or Nakoruru(my personal choice) for sure, but regardless of who makes it in, SNK deserves respect.

Untouch

Smash Master
Going to throw out a whacky prediction and guess that #4 won't just be Terry, but Kyo/Iori/Terry to represent KoF with switching like Pokemon Trainer (I know this isn't how it works in KoF, but I don't think switching on death would work).

Ryu/Ken had the action commands and canceling for combos, Heihachi was GOING to work like Tekken (before he got scrapped because Sakurai couldn't find a way to make it work), the 3 team thing is KoF's main gimmick/mechanic and I think Sakurai is going to bring it over in some way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda like the concept of the KoF character mixing the Shotos with Pokemon Trainer.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Going to throw out a whacky prediction and guess that #4 won't just be Terry, but Kyo/Iori/Terry to represent KoF with switching like Pokemon Trainer (I know this isn't how it works in KoF, but I don't think switching on death would work).
i was about to post this. but sakurai is sometimes flexible on game mechanics when they clash with smash. like if he was 100 percent on with bayonetta she wouldnt be able to block at all in-game. But im all for an execution complex DLC character banjo, plant, and hero arent execution heavy characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom