• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Not to mention he'd be able to dodge chalk if they tried throwing it at him.
Nah, he'd just dodge... ...Until Arsene comes out and Joker starts spamming Makarakarn in order to return the chalk. :4pacman:

An odd thought, maybe, but it would be neat if we could get an Atari themed stage, referencing stuff like breakout. I don't know what kind of legal hurdle that would bring, though.
It's difficult to say. Luckily people like Bushnell do serve in Atari SA's (Atari Inc.'s current successor company) executive branch it seems - and SA appears to have Inc's trademarks, so there's that.

It would get a lot murkier though if Nintendo wanted to incorporate any pre-Pong (1972) elements outside their own. Like if they wanted to do a stage based on the very earliest video games... would they have to contact University of Manchester and Christopher Strachey's surviving family members (if he has any) in case Nintendo wanted to include lets say Strachey's Draughts (one of the very earliest games, 1952)?

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Hot take but I like WOL wayyy more than Subspace Emissary. Don't get me wrong... Subspace is pretty fun for the cutscenes... but that's the thing. The cutscenes are really the only draw to the mode(for me anyway), and the actual mode itself is super boring and tedious platforming with the same 5 enemies copypasted every 2 seconds. In short; it's fun to watch, not fun to play. I feel WOL strikes a better balance between the two, what with how there's still somewhat of a story(but told in a bit more subtle way) while at the same time traveling the newborn world is really fun, save for a couple dozen annoying battles here and there.
I love the subspace emissary! I wanna play my characters in platforming! I wanna beat up a bunch of enemies! World of light was SUPER tedious. Battle after battle, same characters, same stages, nothing truly unique compared to the base game. By the time I got to the dark world I just started to rush through it. It was exhausting.

The only thing I didn’t like about Subspace is that it slowed your characters down. I love the sticker system. I’m not kidding. I just wish that stickers didn’t stick to one character and go away when you try to remove them. Basically I wish you could switch stickers to other characters, but that’s the point of stickers I guess. If you remove them, they’re gone. It makes you strategize and carefully place them on the characters you want too.

Anyway, I like subspace more than WOL and even if it didn’t have cutscenes I’d still love Subspace way more than WOL. The cutscenes aren’t what I like the most.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I Knew there be alot of Ultimate DX Ideas with Shadow as an echo. I thought people didn't like how Sonic is designed though?

anyway unless Characters are being developed in 2's only instead of 3's, I think the pass could perhaps finish very early in comparison to December. We might get all of our characters revealed by E3 Perhaps
People don't have to love Sonic's design to want Shadow in the game. And while everyone would probably prefer Shadow to be unique, or even a semi-clone like how Doc is to Mario, there's no denying that he makes sense as an echo fighter. To be honest, the thought that we'd more or less have the same weird moveset twice never really crossed my mind in that way. Like yeah, of course I realized Shadow as an echo would have probably 2 different moves from Sonic at the most, I just never thought of it as a problem.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
People don't have to love Sonic's design to want Shadow in the game. And while everyone would probably prefer Shadow to be unique, or even a semi-clone like how Doc is to Mario, there's no denying that he makes sense as an echo fighter. To be honest, the thought that we'd more or less have the same weird moveset twice never really crossed my mind in that way. Like yeah, of course I realized Shadow as an echo would have probably 2 different moves from Sonic at the most, I just never thought of it as a problem.
Way I see it, it's a "Black Shadow" issue. Like, it makes more sense to rework Ganon and then give his old moveset to someone like BS. It's also a thing with Samus and DS.

It's a similar thing with Sonic and Shadow - the latter is kinda held back by the former's current toolkit - at most, I can see him having a different up B, but if they reworked Sonic first, Shadow could probably shine as an Echo a la Ken/Chrom.

Also Shadow could just replace one of the ball specials with something else. The two rolling specials are people's biggest gripe as far as I can tell, so just replacing one with a chaos ability would be a cool design change that also takes minimal effort.

Honestly just changing Sonic's specials makes him an entirely different character, to the point that it would make a ton of sense for Shadow to go that route. Beyond that I'd mostly just want a unique run animation.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
New NEW forum game(TM)

so with the Ultimate Deluxe idea that DLC would have their own spaces in Ult DX’s WoL, where would you place those characters?

for me;

Piranha Plant - Light Realm, just to have one more villainous character under Galeem’s control for irony purposes, we have a lot of heroic characters under Dharkon’s control so
Joker - Dark Realm, just because the aesthetic fits
Hero - Light Realm, he’s seen fighting Dharkon and their minions in his trailer and Galeem is Dharkon’s natural enemy
Banjo & Kazooie - Light Realm, tbh almost all the cartoony characters are there anyway
Terry - Dark Realm, idk why
Byleth - either, but Light Realm is preferred to have one more FE character there (currently it’s only Marth and Roy, everyone else from FE is in the Dark Realm)
Min Min - Light Realm obviously since her Spirit was there in Vanilla Ult
Steve - also Light Realm

and for some of my ideal Ultimate DLC picks:
Elma - Dark Realm, to contrast Shulk being in the Light Realm
KOS-MOS - Dark Realm
Arle - Light Realm
Octoling - Dark Realm, cause the Spirit they’re based on (Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy) is there. The one named Octoling is in the Light Realm and technically of the Enemy Octoling, not the Octo Expansion kind
Crash - Light Realm, as previously established with cartoony characters
Neku - Light Realm, to contrast fellow Nomura-designed character Cloud being in the Dark Realm
Ahri - Dark Realm
Black Shadow - Dark Realm cause he’s an Edgy(TM) villain
Falcom character - if Adol or Estelle, Light Realm. If Rean, Dark Realm cause Trails of Cold Steel. dark and edgy. Get it???
Magnus would be in light realm since he’s met so early in Kid Icarus

Dante and Nero would be in the final battle (especially Dante) since they’re both uber powerful. I think that Dante would’ve been another one of the characters to survive. His Sin Devil Trigger is mental. Like it’s crazy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nah, he'd just dodge... ...Until Arsene comes out and Joker starts spamming Makarakarn in order to return the chalk. :4pacman:

It's difficult to say. Luckily people like Bushnell do serve in Atari SA's (Atari Inc.'s current successor company) executive branch it seems - and SA appears to have Inc's trademarks, so there's that.

It would get a lot murkier though if Nintendo wanted to incorporate any pre-Pong (1972) elements outside their own. Like if they wanted to do a stage based on the very earliest video games... would they have to contact University of Manchester and Christopher Strachey's surviving family members (if he has any) in case Nintendo wanted to include lets say Strachey's Draughts (one of the very earliest games, 1952)?
I'm gonna be that guy and point out that the current Atari SA only owns part of the rights of the original Atari's IP (specifically, most of their console output). Their arcade division, after numerous buyouts, mergers and dissolutions, is now part of Netherrealm Studios - so WB Games.

That's kind of why I doubt we'll get any Atari content any time soon. It might be legal hell to do anything game-related with them. There's a reason why Atari nowadays is building hotels instead of making games.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I also enjoyed World of Light more than Subspace. I got tired of Subspace quickly and I already spoiled myself on the cutscenes beforehand so there was not much point in playing it. I am not a fan of Brawl's movement and it felt awkward while platforming. World of Light on the other hand I had a blast exploring the map and finding all the treasure chests. There were some puzzles thrown in and some of the sections like the Castlevania and Street Fighter sections were really cool and made it feel like multiple game franchises existed in the same universe. I do miss the Rayquaza and Porky boss fights though.

SKX31

Smash Master
Also Shadow could just replace one of the ball specials with something else. The two rolling specials are people's biggest gripe as far as I can tell, so just replacing one with a chaos ability would be a cool design change that also takes minimal effort.

Honestly just changing Sonic's specials makes him an entirely different character, to the point that it would make a ton of sense for Shadow to go that route. Beyond that I'd mostly just want a unique run animation.
It pretty much is the biggest gripe a lot of competitive-leaning people have with Sonic's design since an online Sonic can choose to either Side B / Down B, choose when to engage / run away, and the opponent might have lots of trouble reacting / punishing the Sonic due to the online being bad. It becomes very campy quick. VODs of Sonics (like Wrath's) at online tournaments have generally very high dislike ratios because that playstyle leads to a lot of timeouts. The number of dislikes generally grow a lot if the Sonic wins (and Sonics have gone far in a number of online tournaments using that strategy).

If only more people played Sonic like KEN does. His Sonic is actually aggressive and I like that a lot:

(Yes, KEN the Sonic player. There's also Hero the Bowser player. Here's a link to Hero fighting an actual Hero player.)

That said, I'm in favor of giving Sonics different specials (like the Lightspeed Dash) in a future game because of that. Shadow could work as an echo, especially since that single change might make the general playstyle more interesting.

I'm gonna be that guy and point out that the current Atari SA only owns part of the rights of the original Atari's IP (specifically, most of their console output). Their arcade division, after numerous buyouts, mergers and dissolutions, is now part of Netherrealm Studios - so WB Games.

That's kind of why I doubt we'll get any Atari content any time soon. It might be legal hell to do anything game-related with them. There's a reason why Atari nowadays is building hotels instead of making games.
Ah, gotcha. Didn't actually know that (although the troubles Atari's had in the past must've had some effect). Thank you very much.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Did someone say Don Chan?

don chan.jpeg

He would be awesome.

While it's on my mind, I will post my most wanted Bandai Namco characters from most wanted to least-but-still-want character:

1. Agumon - One of my most wanted characters period. I grew up with Digimon and Agumon would have a great gimmick with digivolution making him more powerful and giving him more abilities.

2. Nightmare - A very close second. Soul Calibur is a great series and Nightmare has an awesome design and moveset potential. Soul Calibur music would also be lit.

3. Klonoa - He would fit perfectly in Smash and the games are charming as heck. Great moveset potential, great music, beautiful series overall.

4. Don Chan - Not much to say. He is cute and a music-based moveset sounds awesome (R.I.P Donkey Kong's Smash 4 final smash, it was great).

Honorable mention goes to Heihachi and a Tales Of character. I got into Tekken 7 only after Heihachi got deconfirmed and now I'm not confident at all we will get a Tekken character. I also started playing Tales of Vesperia so Yuri might be joining my support list depending on how I feel about the game in the long-run.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I get that. Like I know that even if People didn't want Shadow to be an echo, They wanted Shadow above all else as playable and even if Shadow had to make the Sacrifice of being an echo, they will be down with it, even if they Find Sonic's Moveset bleh

But Personally, I could never be down with the idea. Shadow as an echo is my Worst Nightmare, Despite Shadow being my Most wanted Character. Even a Semi-Clone would be fine (that actually might be the best Thematically as well), but a Full Echo would be the worst. I'd actually prefer if they made Shadow a Mii Costume over Echo. I think if he were to be an echo he'd probably would have been added in Base game.

And also Everytime I hear Shadow be considered an "easy Addition for an echo" I feel Attacked, which is weird because it's just a Video game and I shouldn't take it seriously, But I can't help it, especially since other Additions get mentioned as unique as well and I do grow a little resenting of the additions. just a little though and it's no problem

and on another Note, I Like Subspace and Smash Run because they are like beat-em ups, with all the eneimes and also all the Platforming, and it's very different from the Usual Smashing. It's why World of Light is okay, but I don't consider it the best at all

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Side note - anyone else notice how dummy slow this place has been today?

As in, lag slow?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Echo Fighters are weird. Ideally, they'd put some sort of twist on their original fighter's moveset so that picking one over the other means anything, but literally only Chrom does this.
  • Dark Pit has more focus on his Neutral Special, and has a different K.O. option with his Electroshock Arm, but it doesn't really do much in the grand scheme of things.
  • Lucina is inherently better or worse than Marth depending on how successful the implementation of his tipper mechanic is. If it's good, play Marth. If it's bad, play Lucina. There's no meaningful decision here.
  • Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus have differences that are so insignificant that it really doesn't matter who you pick.
  • Chrom has different combo routes, a DP (kind of), and more consistent damage in exchange for a worse recovery. He behaves pretty differently from Roy despite only having a single different move, and it baffles me that the other Echo Fighters aren't like this.
  • Ken is so different from Ryu that work load wise, he's a Semi-Clone, not an Echo Fighter, which completely defeats the purpose of the Echo Fighter. Thus, I do not consider him to be an actual Echo Fighter.
I love the concept of Echo Fighters, but they really need to be done better than they currently are. We can't go as far as Ken and his 8 different moves, but more intelligent changes can be made in order to make these characters worth more than just their face. That goes for future Echo Fighters as well. I don't want the Octoling to be just the Inkling, but with different ink colors or Shadow to just be Sonic, but his jump animation doesn't turn him into a ball so his hurtbox is bigger than Sonic's during that specific animation.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Echo Fighters are weird. Ideally, they'd put some sort of twist on their original fighter's moveset so that picking one over the other means anything, but literally only Chrom does this.
  • Dark Pit has more focus on his Neutral Special, and has a different K.O. option with his Electroshock Arm, but it doesn't really do much in the grand scheme of things.
  • Lucina is inherently better or worse than Marth depending on how successful the implementation of his tipper mechanic is. If it's good, play Marth. If it's bad, play Lucina. There's no meaningful decision here.
  • Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus have differences that are so insignificant that it really doesn't matter who you pick.
  • Chrom has different combo routes, a DP (kind of), and more consistent damage in exchange for a worse recovery. He behaves pretty differently from Roy despite only having a single different move, and it baffles me that the other Echo Fighters aren't like this.
  • Ken is so different from Ryu that work load wise, he's a Semi-Clone, not an Echo Fighter, which completely defeats the purpose of the Echo Fighter. Thus, I do not consider him to be an actual Echo Fighter.
I love the concept of Echo Fighters, but they really need to be done better than they currently are. We can't go as far as Ken and his 8 different moves, but more inelegant changes can be made in order to make these characters worth more than just their face. That goes for future Echo Fighters as well. I don't want the Octoling to be just the Inkling, but with different ink colors or Shadow to just be Sonic, but his jump animation doesn't turn him into a ball so his hurtbox is bigger than Sonic's during that specific animation.
I'm convinced that the Term Echo Fighter only exists so people would shut up about "Clones are wasted slots." (that doesn't explain Doctor Mario and Pichu but I Digress) and was only applied arbitrarily to characters that people might complain about

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty much the only person in the world who's fine with Sonic's moveset in Smash and thinks it suits him well. I mean, between my username and avatar I'm obviously biased, but still.
I think if Sonic got a Special to replace one of the Spin Dashes (and make the Spindash have both functions of Spin dash and Spin Charge), it would go a Long way of making his Moveset much Cooler. I would also perhaps add Air Taunting

But Sonic does honestly represent his games well, the Classic Games at least, since Most of his Animations and moveset comes from the Classic Era. He has Homing attack, and his design is Closer to the Modern Design, but he's mostly Classic Sonic in Spirit

I think perhaps Next Game if they add more than 4 Special Moves, or Custom Moves, there could be more inspired Modern Moves, Like Light Speed Dash, Boost, Blue Tornado, Stomp, Any of the Sonic Battle Moves. That or they could Add Shadow, who could use The Modern Techniques Sonic doesn't use, along with Having His Chaos Powers for unique moves and mechanics.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh

I’m hearing someone is trying to DDOS the Geno thread like what happened with Rayman a few months ago

i know we all have differing opinions about that place but can we all agree that DDOSing is a real ****ty thing to do? You’re even making people who aren’t Geno supporters suffer

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So uh

I’m hearing someone is trying to DDOS the Geno thread like what happened with Rayman a few months ago

i know we all have differing opinions about that place but can we all agree that DDOSing is a real ****ty thing to do? You’re even making people who aren’t Geno supporters suffer
Some people are just too self-centered, especially over a freaking video game. It's quite sad, really.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So uh

Well that are perhaps The guests are starved for news (that's what some members of the Geno thread were saying)

That or Perhaps Geno leaked somewhere. Of course it's probably is DDOS Attack or such

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I love the concept of Echo Fighters, but they really need to be done better than they currently are. We can't go as far as Ken and his 8 different moves, but more intelligent changes can be made in order to make these characters worth more than just their face. That goes for future Echo Fighters as well. I don't want the Octoling to be just the Inkling, but with different ink colors or Shadow to just be Sonic, but his jump animation doesn't turn him into a ball so his hurtbox is bigger than Sonic's during that specific animation.
Another thing I’ve thought of for a long time was giving :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit: some of their original fighters’ custom moves from Smash 4 and making:ultrichter:’s Holy Water work how it does in Rondo of Blood.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It pretty much is the biggest gripe a lot of competitive-leaning people have with Sonic's design since an online Sonic can choose to either Side B / Down B, choose when to engage / run away, and the opponent might have lots of trouble reacting / punishing the Sonic due to the online being bad. It becomes very campy quick. VODs of Sonics (like Wrath's) at online tournaments have generally very high dislike ratios because that playstyle leads to a lot of timeouts. The number of dislikes generally grow a lot if the Sonic wins (and Sonics have gone far in a number of online tournaments using that strategy).

If only more people played Sonic like KEN does. His Sonic is actually aggressive and I like that a lot:

(Yes, KEN the Sonic player. There's also Hero the Bowser player. Here's a link to Hero fighting an actual Hero player.)

That said, I'm in favor of giving Sonics different specials (like the Lightspeed Dash) in a future game because of that. Shadow could work as an echo, especially since that single change might make the general playstyle more interesting.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't actually know that (although the troubles Atari's had in the past must've had some effect). Thank you very much.
Don't forget Joker, the Samus player! But anyway, I agree aggressive Sonic is much more fun to watch. I recommend checking out Supergirlkels, I'd say she has my favorite Sonic overall and is mostly aggressive

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So uh

DDOS?

checks google

Ah
I see
Not good

Ivander

Smash Legend
I missed the forum game with missing Pokemon gens, so...

Gen 3 - Blaziken or Sceptile, if Gardevoir and Deoxys are stuck as Pokeball Pokemon. Heck, Blaziken would be an easy Echo Fighter to make with Captain Falcon as the base. Sceptile would be more original.
Gen 5 - Zoroark is definitely the Gen 5 mascot, although the fan in me wants Galvantula or Chandelure.
Gen 8 - Zacian would be cool.

And yeah, we need a Gen 2 rep that isn't Pichu. Scizor would definitely be awesome. If not him due to Pokeball shenanigans, then Tyranitar would also be awesome.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty much the only person in the world who's fine with Sonic's moveset in Smash and thinks it suits him well. I mean, between my username and avatar I'm obviously biased, but still.
And that's completely fine honestly! I do recommend taking a look at the KEN VoD I posted above (and also StrangeKitten StrangeKitten suggestion to look for Supergirlkels' VoDs). My preference for agressive playstyles aside, I posted it since it showed an example how Sonic's maneuverability can be used.

do we usually have THIS much guests...?
Saw 415 guests:

guests.png

Besides mostly agreeing with this, I'd like to offer a few suggestions (absent any new moves since Echo fighters exist because they're easy to make). These are rough suggestions mind:

* Dark Pit could be made slightly faster in the air compared to Pit as well as a slightly faster / altered Down B and Up B, while Pit could be faster on the ground and have more favorable angles on his combo starters.

* Lucina's in a decent spot, but could use slightly better air movement compared to Marth, while Marth could have slightly faster ground speed to further differentiate the two.

* Daisy could have a shorter float than Peach and perhaps recovery (which is Peach's signature) - in exchange, perhaps Daisy could deal slightly higher damage elsewhere to reflect her more athletic and tomboyish personality.

* Simon could have stronger versions of moves that originated in Castlevania I / IV compared to Richter, and Richter stronger moves that originated in RoB / SotN compared to Simon.

* Dark Samus could have faster air movement as well as stronger Missile and Up-Smash perhaps compared to Samus - giving a nod to how terrifying Dark Samus can actually be in the Prime games - while Samus could be faster on the ground, have a stronger Dash Attack and have a more maneuverable Morph Ball to help emphasize the 2D Metroid games.

* Octolings in turn could get one different weapon (my vote is to replace the Roller) and more coverage on the Splat Bomb compared to Inkling, while Inkling could have a stronger Shot and perhaps.

* Shadow would have a slightly harder time turning than Sonic, slightly weaker defense and a slightly worse vertical recovery, but have slightly better burst, air movement and a more lateral recovery or even movement option through Chaos Control.

These are, again, rough suggestions, but hopefully they're at least give something to go off on.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Pichu has always felt pretty lame to me as the sole gen 2 rep. I get that baby Pokemon were the new thing at the time, but to have an entire generation repped by what was supposed to be "worse Pikachu" just feels bad. I can't help but feel like Pichu happened in part due to how rushed the game was, and wonder if we wouldn't have gotten someone different if the game had something like an extra year of development time (since making a clone is faster than making a new fighter). Since Pichu has a fanbase now, it should definitely stick around, but I'd be upgrading Scizor from Pokeball to playable if I was in charge of the roster to give gen 2 some more love. Scizor just checks all the boxes as the ideal gen 2 rep, promoting the new evolutions Johto added while also promoting the then-new Steel type (and as a bonus, Bug is a type we don't have playable). The only other new evolution that promotes a type that was new back then is Umbreon, but I feel like Umbreon would be best added if we had playable Eevee be able to evolve, which is another can of Wurmples.

For gen 3, my favorite pick is Grovyle, who covers both the gen, and Mystery Dungeon (which also made its debut in the gen).

For gen 5, I feel like Zoroark would be a solid choice and could probably work as a semiclone of Lucario. Trade aura for faster stats, consistent power, better hitboxes at low%. Aura Sphere is now Dark Pulse - there's no aura to boost it, so it'd pretty much be Shadow Ball/Charge Shot. I also love the idea of Chandelure as a gen 5 rep if it also repped Pokken by bringing over some tracks from said game. Might be a little weird since we already have a chunk of Pokken's roster in Smash, but I don't really care about that so long as we're giving the spinoffs more love.

Toxtricity is my favorite potential gen 8, but I like all the usual suspects that get talked about for this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom