• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
- Tons of people posting Octoling as a good idea for an Echo fighter for an Ultimate Deluxe

Nice to see this thread having quality taste.

Anyhoo, my take on an Ultimate Deluxe is a little hard to say given Ultimate isn't done yet. I think for me personally, I'd have to wait and see what this game's completed state looked like before requesting anything or doing a write-up for what I would expect to see next time.
To be fair, Octoling seems like the most guaranteed for an Echo if we were to get an update/port. Pretty much the same model to base off on Inkling.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Guardian would be a pretty cool character. I would be interested just to see the walk/run cycles in smash with those spider legs.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I do really like the idea of a playable BoTW Guardian. Aside from Link himself, Guardians are the most recognizable parts of BoTW, and it has a really unusual body structure.
The Guardian would be hilarious but the animations of a Standard guardian might be a bit too awkward, especially since they will have to size them down. That is why my vote goes towards this small egg

Slime Master

Smash Ace
As someone who hasn't put much time in any real fighting games and didn't play any of the FGC characters in smash until Terry, the only input in smash that I don't have very consistent is the Z-inputs. Once you spend some time in training mode getting the feel for it (I had to figure out there's a slight delay between when I think I've finished the input and when I press the button) it's not bad at all. Now, it would take more practice if I wanted to do them reflexively, but I think that's part of the point? The way these moves beat a lot of options you kind of want to have to plan ahead to use them.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
On today's episode of "Can Somebody Fact Check This For Me?", I saw on the Geno thread that apparently, all the weeks in which we didn't have maintenance on a Monday were near new game announcements (although one was a week earlier). Since we have maintenance scheduled for tomorrow, I wanted to make sure this was true.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On today's episode of "Can Somebody Fact Check This For Me?", I saw on the Geno thread that apparently, all the weeks in which we didn't have maintenance on a Monday were near new game announcements (although one was a week earlier). Since we have maintenance scheduled for tomorrow, I wanted to make sure this was true.
81FAB98E-97A7-4BD3-A7A3-EDBA1CB7ECC8.jpeg

theyre NSO and eShop... it might be but then again I seem to recall it saying “all network services will be unavailable” instead of “network services may be unavailable”

plus they said the partner mini last week would be the last one for this year... regular mini? Shadowdrop? Gasp perhaps — the first full ACTUAL DIRECT IN OVER A YEAR??

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The Guardian would be hilarious but the animations of a Standard guardian might be a bit too awkward, especially since they will have to size them down. That is why my vote goes towards this small egg
I don't think a Guardian would be too weird, it works at about the size of K. Rool. Maybe shrink the legs a little.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think a Guardian would be too weird, it works at about the size of K. Rool. Maybe shrink the legs a little.
The problem with Guardians isn't that they're tall it's that they're super wide. You can't feasibly have the legs stretch out even remotely like they do in the original game without messing up hitboxes and visual clarity.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
View attachment 290980
theyre NSO and eShop... it might be but then again I seem to recall it saying “all network services will be unavailable” instead of “network services may be unavailable”

plus they said the partner mini last week would be the last one for this year... regular mini? Shadowdrop? Gasp perhaps — the first full ACTUAL DIRECT IN OVER A YEAR??
Ok but does anyone remember if before shadow drops/announcements the maintenance said “MAY be unavailable” or “WILL be unavailable”?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People are talking about a Guardian as a potential newcomer and not Impa? TRAVESTY I SAY!
I've never been a fan of Impa personally...

Until Age of Calamity. The moveset they gave her is much more representative of her "village ninja" origins while also being incredibly stylish and flashy in its own right. Of course, the moment I buy into the Impa hype train, she's too early and misses the Ultimate DLC train...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The problem with Guardians isn't that they're tall it's that they're super wide. You can't feasibly have the legs stretch out even remotely like they do in the original game without messing up hitboxes and visual clarity.
That's one of the big problems. My idea would be shortening them dramatically, with them extending for attacks.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
No doubt that Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo are the best franchises to represent Blizzard's legacy and they're still pretty popular today, Overwatch on the other hand is by far their most 'active' franchise right now.

They reported having more than 50 million players last year at Blizzcon 2019 so even if some people are claiming that 'Overwatch is dead/dying', it's really not, it's still very much alive. At some point, they had a slow decrease in players and in general interest for OW as an esport. From what i understand, the playerbase seem to have fully recovered from it but the competitive/esport side not so much. It's still relatively popular as an esport tho especially in South Korea. Point is, it has seen better days like you said but it's still very popular nonetheless.

I got a feeling that if Blizzard would want to 'push' one of its franchises via a rep. in Smash it would be Overwatch. I just feel like it would be the smartest move marketing wise, not only from Blizzard but also from Nintendo (to capitalize on Overwatch current popularity). Also, not that all DLC fighters need to promote something (obviously) but OW2 could realistically be released in 2021 so the timing could be good for a OW2 / Smash Fighters Pass 2 cross-promotion.

Personally i'd be hyped for any Blizzard rep* in Smash, always been a big fan of their games (Starcraft 2 in particular) so whether they'd want to go for a 'legacy pick', a 'recency pick' or whatever...

*Yes, even the Lost Vikings :p
If its up to Nintendo and Blizzard, I would think Overwatch and it would be Tracer. And that saddens me when I think about Blizzard reps. Even Overwatch reps, because Tracer just isn’t all that interesting to me regarding gameplay. Shoot, teleport, shoot, reverse, bomb. “What ya lookin at?”

That said, I’m sure they’d give her a lot more attacks so she fits in, but damn it all, teleporting and shooting would be her primary strategy or she just wouldn’t feel right.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Or just not play the three fighting game characters, you have like 70 others to choose from.
I would normally argue against that, because if you're a superfan of the specific character, it's REALLY frustrating if their mechanics make them unplayable for you(Hero).

But in the case of Terry, if you're a superfan of Terry, you probably KNOW how to do those inputs already.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Spiciest hot take of the day.

If we end up getting Sinnoh remakes next year, Garchomp all of a sudden looks pretty good as a shill choice for DLC.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random question, have we had a presentation of any sort on Tuesday this year?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
aside from Gen 8, which Pokémon gens don’t have a playable rep?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
3 and 5. 2 only has Pichu, which is kinda debatable.
They do have Gardevoir (3) and Zoroark (5) as Pokeballs, but that’s it

and I’m now realizing if pra_mai from Brawl was indeed meant to be Plusle and Minun we would have had a Gen 3 rep...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can see things go either way
-3 weeks of tourneys in a row
-A standard spirit event with nothing new
-New spirits

I hope for the third. I'm expecting 1 or 2
This actually has me thinking

have maintenances preceded new spirit events? Or just updates to certain games (I.e. Splatoon 2) in general?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
They do have Gardevoir (3) and Zoroark (5) as Pokeballs, but that’s it

and I’m now realizing if pra_mai from Brawl was indeed meant to be Plusle and Minun we would have had a Gen 3 rep...
There are a few more from each (Oshawatt, Kyogre, Kyurem, Deoxys, etc) and Unova got a stage. Johto, Hoenn, Alola, and Galar don't have a dedicated stage, and Kalos gets 2.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We're doin' another fun forum game, aren't we?
sigh
FINE, here's my Pokemon:

Gen 3-Aggron
Gen 5-Golurk
Gen 8-Appletun

While we're at it, trade Pichu for Scizor

%$#@ logic and %$#@ likelihood, I'm doing the cool guys.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Gen 1, 4, and 6 are really the only Gens that've been well-represented in Smash.

Gen 5 isn't too bad. Despite the lack of a character, it does have a stage, a decent number of tracks, and a fair number of Pokéball Pokémon. Gen 7 is the same, just swap the stage with a character.

Gen 2 has a character on the roster, but it's a clone. A few Pokéball Pokémon, but no stage and a single track.

Gen 3 and Gen 8 are pitiful, but Gen 8's lack of representation should be fairly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom