• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
There have been gimmicks since the first smash game people, you honestly look at Kirby and tell me they aren't gimmicky?

Gimmicks aren't always bad and sometimes they are more subtle like with Min Mins

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A fighting game roster without unique gimmicks just ends up being stale bread.

Just look at Street Fighter V. It took until Gill, the game's 23rd DLC character and 39th overall before we finally started seeing some unique mechanics that were actually interesting. Then Seth came along and he's genuinely the most unique thing Street Fighter ever had... and it's FUN

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If we got some kind of Ultimate Deluxe... Hm. Let me see, I think mostly I would want something you couldn't really do just with DLC to Ultimate. Or, well, you probably theoretically could do the things I'm about to say with DLC and/or patches but it wouldn't really fit with the way they've been doing things. Heck, I'll even give specific examples. Rate My Ult Deluxe. That's what we're doing now, I guess.
  • Obviously, all previous DLC comes in the base-game now.
  • Equally obviously, overhauled online.
  • I think an Ultimate Deluxe would be a good chance to include characters who feel a little more like base roster material than DLC. Not that that's a criterion that's in anyway objective - I definitely would've put down Byleth as one of 'em. Three characters come to mind for me on this one.
    • Bandana Waddle Dee is probably the best example of a "deluxe-y" character.
    • Dixie Kong is also a great example. I see her as sort of the Isabelle of the new inclusions, even if she wouldn't be nearly as much of a clone as Isabelle would be.
    • Rex & Pyra are characters I actually could see being DLC, but I'm not sure if the timing would really work out. This feels like a good spot for them.
  • It'd also be a good opportunity to promote some Assist Trophies into full characters. You could probably do a full Fighter's Pass out of these, to be honest, but I wanted to limit myself, so I had leave some characters alone that I really didn't want to.
    • Isaac is also one of the characters that's at the forefront of my mind as someone you include in a deluxe port.
    • Bomberman being one of the ones to get promoted just makes sense to me, as well. Out of all the assist trophies from third-party series, he seems like he could be one of the bigger gets.
    • Shovel Knight is in a similar position to Bomberman. In general, when I was making the Assist Trophy picks, I wanted to prioritize new series to contrast the other new characters, who all struck me as picks that were good for a Deluxe specifically because they were from old series.
  • Since they're not doing new Echo Fighters as DLC, I think this would also be a good time to introduce some. Preferably more Ken-like than the ones we got in Ultimate.
    • Shadow as fighter #38ε. Stick some glowy effects on his normal attacks, make him more about single hits than multi-hits, and give him a teleporting up-B. Honestly, even as a huge Shadow fan, I'd be fine with that moveset even if there's more you could theoretically do with him.
    • Alph as fighter #40ε, upgraded from an alternate costume. Instead of purples and whites, he plucks Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin. Instead of his up-B being more effective with less Pikmin, it's more the effective the more Winged Pikmin he has.
    • Octoling as fighter #64ε. Sort of a reverse-Wolf situations, where their normals are mostly the same but with different weapons and their specials are different, involving the Dualies, Splatling, Charger, and Brella.
    • Spring Man as fighter #76ε. He has different ARMS from Min Min, and instead of kicking, he has more attacks with his ARMS. Kind of a Chrom situation, in that while I feel we did end up getting somewhat more interesting picks... he was still a little bit robbed.
  • Oh, I could also see some adjustments being made to existing fighters a little bit. Not, like, a complete overhaul, but maybe like a new special or Final Smash. Or a couple new normals. A little less than we normally get between games.
  • Having every stage back would be cool, but I don't know how realistic that is. I think I may have already put a little too much on here.
Well, that's everything. Honestly, halfway through I realized this was a little too much effort for something neither y'all nor I would care about that much, but I was too far in to back out.
This is easily the best Ult Deluxe concept I've seen, so if you wanted a rating there you have it.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
This is easily the best Ult Deluxe concept I've seen, so if you wanted a rating there you have it.
Aw, thanks! I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it, and I don't know how realistic it is, but I just went in with the philosophy of doing things that you probably wouldn't see as DLC and I guess it turned out pretty well.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Aw, thanks! I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it, and I don't know how realistic it is, but I just went in with the philosophy of doing things that you probably wouldn't see as DLC and I guess it turned out pretty well.
Honestly, it's among the more basic concepts, and in a good way. Everyone on it are fairly popular to some degree, and got a decent amount of speculation in the base game era. I'd say your philosophy covered most of the bases of the pre-release speculation era.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There have been gimmicks since the first smash game people, you honestly look at Kirby and tell me they aren't gimmicky?

Gimmicks aren't always bad and sometimes they are more subtle like with Min Mins
Gimmicks aren't bad but there are some fighters that are more defined by their gimmick than others. Kirby's gimmick really doesn't completely redefine how you play as him, unlike someone like Steve. And I'm okay with gimmicky characters. I just wanted to make a distinction.

See whenever I propose a Smash reboot that reimagines older fighters with a more modern moveset a lot of people accuse me of wanting Mario with a gimmicky moveset lol! No, not at all. I just feel like Mario should have a more Mario-ie moveset that's more fun and animated beyond punches and kicks.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While I do find the subject of what is and isn't considered gimmicky a little bit too subjective to really have everyone agree, I've nonetheless attempted to kinda nail down the nebulous feelings of what makes a character considered that much different from their peers
Obviously it's my own interpretation and it didn't receive a particularly high amount of scrutiny, but I tried at least blurring the line between "simple" characters and "gimmicky" characters and why one might consider those that straddle the line in one category or another.

Shroob

Sup?
While I do find the subject of what is and isn't considered gimmicky a little bit too subjective to really have everyone agree, I've nonetheless attempted to kinda nail down the nebulous feelings of what makes a character considered that much different from their peers

Obviously it's my own interpretation and it didn't receive a particularly high amount of scrutiny, but I tried at least blurring the line between "simple" characters and "gimmicky" characters and why one might consider those that straddle the line in one category or another.
I'd honestly bump Cloud up to the first tier tbh.

I remember all too well, and even in recent times, how people called the newcomer DLC for Smash 4 "Overdesigned", with Cloud's Limit gauge being a huge point of gripe.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My Ultimate Deluxe

Playable Characters
82. Mii Mage
83. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
84. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
85. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
86. Kunio [River City Ransom]
87. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
88. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
89. Shantae [Shantae]
90. Bomberman [Bomberman]
90. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
91. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
92. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
93. Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
94. Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
95. Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
97. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
98. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
99. Dante [Devil May Cry]
100. King Hippo [Punch-Out]

Echo Fighters
10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
86e. Riki [River City Ransom]

Bosses
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Astaroth [Ghosts N' Goblins]

Assist Trophies
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Chocobo [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime[Dragon Quest]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Mike Jones [Star Tropics]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Firebrand [Ghosts N' Goblins]
Majima [Yakuza]

Mii Costumes
:ultswordfighter:
Crono [Chrono Trigger]
Randi [Secret of Mana]
Adol [Y's]
Simea [Crystalis]
Kuros [Wizards & Warriors]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
:ultbrawler:
Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon]
Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
The Amazon [Pro Wrestling]
:ultgunner:
Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]

Character Changes
Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate character, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his echo. Make Roy Marth's echo.
Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
Make Dr. Mario and Pichu echoes.

Gameplay Features
Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive.
Boss Rush mode.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I’ll take any gimmick as long as it’s not fighting game inputs. Those make me want to tear my hair out trying to do them consistently.
Oh please, fighting game inputs in Smash isn't that bad compared to the other fighting games that requires great precision and/or speed to activate the move. The video below was made during the time Terry was shown in the presentation, and Terry's inputs in Smash are basically joke compared to these games.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd honestly bump Cloud up to the first tier tbh.

I remember all too well, and even in recent times, how people called the newcomer DLC for Smash 4 "Overdesigned", with Cloud's Limit gauge being a huge point of gripe.
Hmm yeah, I could definitely see that. Cloud's "limit state" does modify the damage of his entire moveset and his overall speed. It kinda slipped my mind with him in Ultimate having it run out. I suppose while the "limit" moves are only specials, the rest of the movest does feed into getting juice for those specials.
Of course that'd mean I'd have to bump up Hero with his copious amounts of moves that buff his whole kit up as well.

Suppose it just goes to show how blurry the line between "a character with unique traits" and "a character that relies on gimmicks" is.

Shroob

Sup?
Hmm yeah, I could definitely see that. Cloud's "limit state" does modify the damage of his entire moveset and his overall speed. It kinda slipped my mind with him in Ultimate having it run out. I suppose while the "limit" moves are only specials, the rest of the movest does feed into getting juice for those specials.
Of course that'd mean I'd have to bump up Hero with his copious amounts of moves that buff his whole kit up as well.

Suppose it just goes to show how blurry the line between "a character with unique traits" and "a character that relies on gimmicks" is.
....wait you didn't put Hero in tier 1?

The guy with a literal random down B and completely RNG dependent critical hits on regular smash attacks?

Yeah, he's a de-facto gimmicky dude lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh please, fighting game inputs in Smash isn't that bad compared to the other fighting games that requires great precision and/or speed to activate the move. The video below was made during the time Terry was shown in the presentation, and Terry's inputs in Smash are basically joke compared to these games.
The title of this video is misleading as it implies making Smash players cry requires an effort.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh please, fighting game inputs in Smash isn't that bad compared to the other fighting games that requires great precision and/or speed to activate the move.
Yeah, fighting game inputs are like the only gimmick in this game I have no problem doing(other than Crack Shoot).

Probably from a lifetime ofdoing those inputs in other fighting games.

Whereas, a lifetime of Dragon Quest game didn't prepare me AT ALL for navigating randomized menues in a fighting game. How weird...

....wait you didn't put Hero in tier 1?

The guy with a literal random down B and completely RNG dependent critical hits on regular smash attacks?
Steve and Hero are, by far, the two worst offenders.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seeing as at this point, we're never ever getting my most wanted first party character, I've decided to make a moveset for her. Oh boy, a 9th Fire Emblem character.
Introducing Lyn from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade,
View attachment 290945
Introducing Lyndis, better known by her nickname Lyn, from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade! Her unbelievable popularity has finally earned her a spot within the pantheon of Smash characters, and with her inclusion, a brand new kind of playstyle!

Lyn blitzes onto the scene with the blazing speed of the wind itself. Her speed and mobility is unparalleled, having more ways to move about the battlefield than any other character in the cast. With her nigh uncontrollable speed and her frail frame though, her power comes at a cost. She reflects her original character archetype, a high-risk/high-reward character that has overall weak attacks, but critically important killing blows. Invest in Lyn, and her strength will grow proportional to your skill.
01 Introduction
Multiple after-images of Lyn converge to form one whole Lyn who gets ready to strike.

02 Stance
Lyn has her basic Lord stance.

03 Crouch
Kneels one leg on the floor while she has her hand hovering over her blade ready to strike.

04 Idle 1
Lyn briefly tenses up and assumes her Blade Lord stance.

05 Idle 2
Lyn fluffs her giant ponytail.

06 Sprint
Lyn sprints forward while clutching the sheath of her katana behind her.

07 Double Jump
Lyn flips forward or backwards.

08 Wall Jump
Lyn kicks off the wall.

09 Taunt 1
Lyn takes out her katana and points it at the enemy saying "I'll cut you down!" before stylishly sheathing her katana.

10 Taunt 2
Lyn holds the sheathed katana to the ground saying "I've no mercy for you."

11 Taunt 3
Lyn holds the sheathed katana and points at the enemy "If you want to run, do so now."

12 Victory 1
Lady of the Plains
Lyn starts mid-air firing an arrow at the ground, landing and aiming the bow at the camera.

13 Victory 2
Blade Lord
Lyn splits into 5 after images and leaps into the air striking at the camera.

14 Victory 3
We Need Disguises...
A brown cloak descends from the sky wherein Lyn grabs it and clothes herself in it.

15 Defeat
Sorry Mark
Lyn happily claps for the victor.

16 Victory Theme
Winning Road
The first 7 seconds of Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade's version of "Winning Road"
17 Kirby Hat
Sacaen Style
Kirby has Lyn's green ponytail.
01 Shield
Pavise
Lyn holds up her sheath and braces her other forearm against it.

02 Parry
Aegis
Lyn blocks the attack by half-pulling out the katana.

03 Shield Broken
Confusion
Lyn has her hand over her forehead as stars circle her head.

04 Sleeping
Sleep
Lyn sleeps clutching the sheath on her shoulder.

05 Forward Dodge
Repel
Lyn dives forward

06 Backwards Dodge
Close Call
Lyn backflips into position.

07 Spot Dodge
Miss!
Lyn twists and turns briefly almost not moving at all

08 Air Dodge
Blessing of Sacae
Lyn twirls in the air deftly moving away from incoming attacks.

09 Ledge Attack
Vengeance
Lyn flips over and does a vertical slash downwards.

10 Get-up attack
Defiant Attack
Lyn spins around hitting people on both sides with her katana.
00 Shield Special
Law of Sacae
Lyn turns her back towards the camera and flickers, creating an afterimage of herself that repeats her actions but with a half-second delay. As this is an extremely powerful maneuver, it does have a few stipulations: It takes a long time to activate making using it unfeasible unless given ample time, it only lasts for 15 seconds, it vanishes upon shielding, vanishes upon grabbing an enemy, unlike Arsene it has a hurtbox and is destroyed upon any contact with damage, and if the original Lyn takes damage the clone is destroyed.

01 Neutral Special
Galeforce
Lyn goes into an exaggerated iai stance and prepares to strike. From here, pressing in any direction will have Lyn teleport to that position. She can teleport twice before she is forced to either cancel the attack or commit to the strike. Letting go of the special button will have Lyn unsheath her sword and strike with her katana imbued with wind. If she hits, she can immediately go back into the stance, but if she misses she goes into free-fall with significant ending lag.

02 Side Special
Astra
Lyn draws her blade and points it forward. She then flickers, splitting into 3 after-images and dashes forward in a flurry of blade strikes, anyone caught in the middle of dash is caught in a storm of sword slashes which throw the enemy in front of Lyn.

03 Down Special
Wind Sword
Lyn quickly unsheathes and resheaths her katana, creating a sphere of razor wind a set distance away that knocks enemies up for further followups. Similar to Palutena, doing the smash input changes the distance of the sphere of razor wind.

04 Up Special
Mulagir
Lyn dashes forward and disappears, teleporting to whereever the left stick is pointed. She reapears with Mulagir, her nation's legendary bow, and fires an incredibly fast and strong arrow. If she's on the ground, she'll fire it straight forwards, if she's in the air, she'll fire it diagonally downwards.
01 Jab
Adept
Attacks once with an inwards strike with the sheath of the katana, follws up with an outwards strike of the sheath, and then ends the attack with a single diagonal iaijutsu strike, before resheathing her blade.

Mashing the button uses her jab infinite, a flurry of sword strikes before she sheathes the blade.

02 Forward Tilt
Mani Katti
An advancing completely horizontal iaijutsu strike. Has speed, range, and impressive power, but an extremely narrow hitbox.

03 Down Tilt
Desperation
Lyn does a sweeping iaijutsu strike that comes out relatively fast and attacks at the enemy's feet.

04 Up Tilt
Killing Edge
Lyn does a vertical iaijutsu strike, serving as a launcher for anyone on the ground and an anti-air for anyone caught in the air

05 Dash Attack
Rapier
While Lyn dashes, she suddenly stabs forward into the enemy.
01 Forward Smash
Brave Sword.
Lyn leans back and prepares to strike. Upon release, she does a triple strike involving a leaping upwards iaijutsu strike, a quick stab, and finishing with a wide horizontal sweep while dashing forward and past the enemy.

02 Down Smash
Blazing Wind
Lyn adapts a wide stance and prepares to strike. Upon releases, she does a 360 degrees iai strike.

03 Up Smash
Wyrmslayer
Lyn crouches down and prepares to jump. Upon release, she leaps into the air while striking simultaneously.
01 Neutral Aerial
Tempest Blade
Lyn spins diagonally upwards, slicing all those around her and launching them forward and up for further continued combos.

02 Forward Aerial
Swordfaire
A single powerful forward strike that's extremely fast but very narrow.

03 Back Aerial
Vantage
Lyn back flips and does an upside down bicycle kick at anyone behind her. There's a sweetspot at the end of the attack that spikes enemies straight downwards.

04 Down Aerial
Sol Katti
A two part down air which consists of an initial hit where Lyn swings the katana doing a vertical flip, spiking anyone caught. An additional button press has Lyn follow up with a falling air attack downwards slamming the katana into the earth (or flying off the edge).

05 Up Aerial
Brash Assault
Lyn does a sweeping double kick into the air.
01 Grab
Provoke
Reachs out with her right hand and grips them by the collar.

02 Pummel
Blunt Sword
Jabs them in the gut with the pommel of the katana.

03 Forward Throw
Smite
Lyn does does a lunging straight with the pommel with all the force she can muster, sending the enemy a short distance but low to the ground, setting up for further attacks

04 Back Throw
Regal Blade
Lyn dashes behind the opponent and stabs backwards with the katana, an extremely powerful kill throw that ends stocks early.

05 Down Throw
Armorslayer
Lyn spins in the air with her leg out, landing on the opponent with a fierce axe kick, popping enemies up for further comboes.

06 Up Throw
Lancereaver
Lyn leaps into the air kneeing the opponent in the face. An effective kill option at high percents.
01 Final Smash
She imbues her katana with the power of wind and strikes horizontally across the entire stage. Her follow-up animation will change depending on if they were hit in the air or on the ground.

By Mother Earth
On the ground, the closest person hit will have Lyn teleport to them and unleash an unrelenting flurry of attacks finishing with her striking the opponent with 4 after-images. Damage and knockback is only applied once she resheaths her sword.

By Father Sky
In the air, the closest person hit will have Lyn teleport next to them. She then splits into 5 after-images which all surround the enemy and rapidly strike them one by one, finishing with the real Lyn slicing through the opponent. Damage and knockback is only applied once she resheaths her sword.
Lyn's head, complete with her remarkable ponytail and her jewelery.
View attachment 290946
Source
The stage is the plains of Sacae, Lyn's homeland.
View attachment 290947
The main platform is the top of a tent supported by wooden poles.
Her skins are based off of a number of female myrmidons/swordmasters throughout the series.
View attachment 290948
1. Lyn from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
2. Ayra from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
3. Mareeta from Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
4. Fir from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
5. Marisa from Fire Emblem: The Sacred STones
6. Mia from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
7. Say'ri from Fire Emblem: Awakening
8. Hina from Fire Emblem: Fates
Lyn's songs, instead of just being from her game, serve as a "greatest hits" series of songs that serve to fill in the gaps of popular Fire Emblem songs that were not included in Smash Bros.

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Mystery of the Emblem/Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem
Each Map's Beginning (Trouble!)
Endless Battle
On the Path to Victory
Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Twilight of the Gods
What Lies at the End
Genealogy of the Holy War
The Final Holy War
Thracia 776
Applying Justice
The Binding Blade
Attack!
The Blazing Blade
Wind Across the Plains
Companions
The Sacred Stones
Determination
Truth, Despair, and Hope
Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
With Us/Stalwarts Unite
Beauty is a Mad Mistress
Awakening
Divine Decree
Don't Speak Her Name
Mastermind
Fates
Dusk Falls
Justice RIP
Alight
Road Taken
Three Houses
Corridors of the Tempest
Shackled Wolves
God Shattering Star
Heroes
Book II Boss Theme
Book III Boss Theme
Book IV Boss Theme
As you can see from my profile picture, I took a lot of inspiration from another beloved character of mine.
I cannot ****ing believe you managed to find a way to give Lyn Judgement Cut and justify it with canon. ****ing Vergil simps are a on a completely different level I swear

I.D.

Smash Lord
I love gimmick characters. One of the things I loved about Blazblue was how they tried to make each character distinct through drives.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I cannot ****ing believe you managed to find a way to give Lyn Judgement Cut and justify it with canon. ****ing Vergil simps are a on a completely different level I swear
Yeah you can't even get that sword normally. You gotta link your FE with a copy of Mario Kart Double Dash's Bonus Disk to get it. But by god it's all the reasoning I need.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Did that tasteless snk ad really offend people? Looked to be in more bad taste then offensive. I keep seeing articles about how offensive it was. Given what i saw, it was more stupid then anything.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hot take, because apparently this is a hot take.

Fighting game inputs in Smash really aren't that bad. People who complain about not being able to do a quarter-circle just need to git gud.
Or just not play the three fighting game characters, you have like 70 others to choose from.

Only way to play ken is inputs.
fixed it for you

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly I’ll take any gimmick as long as it’s not fighting game inputs. Those make me want to tear my hair out trying to do them consistently.
If you’ve played traditional fighting games all your like it’s easy. I guess it is pretty alien to Smash exclusive players but for someone like me who grew up on Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, and Tekken these inputs are the easiest in fighting games.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hot take, because apparently this is a hot take.

Fighting game inputs in Smash really aren't that bad. People who complain about not being able to do a quarter-circle just need to git gud.
If anything, I find them way too easy to execute compared to SF/KoF. So much so that it sometimes happens by accident when I'm doing aerials.

I do think restricting inputs to the B button could be a good thing, tbh. But then again, I could just reduce stick sensitivity when I play Terry.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Just for fun I'm going to give my take on a Ultimate deluxe. I'm going to stay pretty realistic and I will create it like Steve was the last fighter of Ultimate (instead of assuming X was add as DLC). I'm assuming the port would be in around 5 years.

Every dlc is back (inlcude mii costumes).
New characters:
-78. Waluigi
-79. Monster hunter
-80. Akira Howard
-81. Dixie kong
-82. Gen 9 Pokémon/other unnanounced Nintendo characters.

New echo:
-38e Shadow (Sonic)
-49e Glass Joe (Little mac)
-63e. Jeanne (Bayonetta)
-64e Octoling (inkling)
-68e Tom Nook (Isabelle)
-76e Spring man (Min min)

New stages:
-Monster hunter stages
-Harmony square (Astral chain)
-Tropical freeze/New donkey kong stages
-Gen 9 Pokémon stage
-Gormott (Xenoblade chronicles 2)
-Inkopolis (Splatoon)

New assist trophies:
-Chocobo
-Slime
-Gruntilda
-Geese Howard
-Max Brass
-Creeper
-Mach rider
-Marx

New Pokéball Pokémon
-Grookey
-Inteleon
-Cramorant
-Galar Slowbro
-Kubfu
-Toxtricity
-(other gen 9 stuff)

New music from neewer switch games that couldn't really get anything else (like botw 2, Luigi's mansion 3, Ring fit adventure, Paper Mario the origami king, Bayonetta 3 etc.) Obviously new franchises get new music as well (Monster hunter and Astral chain).

World of light expansion: add a new zone with many spirits that where originally dlc. 5 new bosses:
-Enderdragon
-DJ Octavio
-Porky
-Shadow queen (Paper Mario)
-Giratina

This might seems disapointing to some, but I wanted to make something closer to base game with more first party and only one third party. I think that starting with a popular request like Waluigi would still hype people in general. From there you can add a big third party (and really there's nothing really as big as Monster hunter if I'm adding only one), and after that some more recent characters that couldn't be in Ultimate, and Dixie's a small bonus like Isabelle.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If anything, I find them way too easy to execute compared to SF/KoF. So much so that it sometimes happens by accident when I'm doing aerials.
That's mostly due to Ultimate's buffer giving you ample time to pull off the input.

Not that other fighting games don't have buffers, just that Ultimate's is twice as big as most traditional fighters.

They also kept those inputs to the most basic of the bunch, so no pretzels, pentagrams or whatever the hell Summon Suffering is suppoed to be.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Did that tasteless snk ad really offend people? Looked to be in more bad taste then offensive. I keep seeing articles about how offensive it was. Given what i saw, it was more stupid then anything.
I mean it wasn't good... the ad wasn't made by SNK tho, it's from a licensed mobile game and then I think the ones who made the game did the video.

The ad itself is mediocre at best and very low quality effort. Looks like one of those random ads you find on random websites. But the worst part is that the video brings
1. Questionable (being generous) treatment towards female characters and their bodies
2. Very poor representation of the characters, specially in Terry's case
3. Kula is like 14-15 years old, Mai is the girlfriend of Terry's brother, and Blue Mary is the closest thing to a love interest Terry has, yet in the ad Terry slaps their rears in a very out of the character moment

Luckily SNK dismissed the ad quickly. Gotta be careful with who you license your characters, I guess.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do think restricting inputs to the B button could be a good thing, tbh. But then again, I could just reduce stick sensitivity when I play Terry.
Use your C-Stick or Right Stick instead for aerials, this is a rule any shoto main has to live by. You cannot RAR without doing a Tatsu or Knuckle if you use the actual A button, it's just not possible.

Using for right stick in general is a pretty good habit to pick up with the game anyway so you aren't losing much by switching to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom