• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Character's repped: May be quoted and upgraded.

Konami: Frogger, Bomberman (Hudson Soft, RIP), Pitfall
Activisition: Crash, Spyro
Square Enix: Lara Croft, Sora
Falcom: Adol
Ubisoft: Rayman, Ezio

Capcom: Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine, Danta, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu
Bethesda: Doomguy
Blizzard: Tracer, ANYONE Warcraft earned it
Koei-Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa

Sega: Aiai
Nether Realm: Scorpion, (echo) Sub Zero
Bandai Namco: Agumon, Heihachi, Nightmare
Rockstar: CJ/alts
Sony: Kratos, ...not sure what their next biggest game is
Microsoft: Master Chief

NINTENDO: Balloon Fighter; Ring Fit Adventure, Captain Toad, Excite Bike, Lip
Retro: Dixie Kong
Skip LTD: Chibi Robo
Gamefreak: Eevee, Team Rocket
Monolith: -------------
Camelot: Isaac
Intelligent Systems: Andy, Paper Mario
Throw goemon on the konami list

cashregister9

Smash Hero

For Falcom you could add Estelle and Rean

For Bandai-Namco you could add Don-chan, Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell

For Square-Enix You could add Neku and 2B

Kiryu and Sakura Shinguji for Sega

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I actually really like Spirit Battles, but I'm... ambivalent about the whole thing where you actually equip Spirits. The mechanic is a little complicated to mess with, and I always just hit auto-pick, so I'm not convinced it's pulling its weight.

I'm also not a fan of how you're encouraged to just nullify part of a battle's mechanics. I think I would prefer it if there wasn't any of these RPG mechanics and the fights were all designed so that you would just fight them and whatever special stuff they have going on.

Or you could let us play as the puppet fighter. So you can select "Smoky Progg" off a menu and play as a Mario that turns metal occasionally. That'd be fun,

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There's one thing that makes me doubt that: Smash reveals are usually frontloaded, which means that both as the third character in this Pass and next year's first release, it would make more sense to have either a big reveal or a fan-favorite (or a combination of both).

I think the "low key" reveals will probably be CP10 and CP11. Maybe CP9 too.
I think FP2 is a little different because it was probably set up to last at least two E3s (again, before the pandemic), hence the end of 2021 deadline. FP1 only lasted a year, so in that sense it made sense to have all the big reveals like Hero and Banjo out of the way by the end of E3 2019.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

In that case uhhh

some additions I’d suggest

Bandai Namco: KOS-MOS, Tales Of character
Capcom: Viewtiful Joe
Square Enix: Neku, 2B
Sega: Vyse
Riot: either Ahri, Jinx or Yasuo
Microsoft: Ori
Nintendo: Octoling, Black Shadow
Monolith: Mecha-Fiora, Elma

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I do wonder though if the fact that FP2's spread over two years will affect that. As a hypotheoretical scenario (and purely hypotheoretical) there might be some incentive for Nintendo to try and spread the "big names" (as porous of a definition as that is) a bit in order to keep FP2 going a while. Neither 4's DLC nor FP1 were spread over two years after all.
I think FP2 is a little different because it was probably set up to last at least two E3s (again, before the pandemic), hence the end of 2021 deadline. FP1 only lasted a year, so in that sense it made sense to have all the big reveals like Hero and Banjo out of the way by the end of E3 2019.
Well, I know it does make sense, but I'd argue aside from the two-year thing, so did Smash 4 DLC and Pass 1. Plus, Nintendo isn't exactly known for always making sound marketing decisions.

Tbh, it's one of these cases where I'm actually kinda hoping to be wrong, because it makes things more interesting imo. But I guess we'll see.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Throw goemon on the konami list
For Falcom you could add Estelle and Rean

For Bandai-Namco you could add Don-chan, Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell

For Square-Enix You could add Neku and 2B

Kiryu and Sakura Shinguji for Sega
In that case uhhh

some additions I’d suggest

Bandai Namco: KOS-MOS, Tales Of character
Capcom: Viewtiful Joe
Square: Neku, 2B
Sega: Vyse
Microsoft: Ori
Nintendo: Octoling, Black Shadow
Monolith: Mecha-Fiora, Elma
Edit: I misunderstood the intention. My apologies

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Every E3 with Smash involved has had at least one big "megaton" announcement.

2013: Mega Man
2014: Pac-Man
2015: Ryu
2018: Everyone is here + Ridley
2019: Hero + Banjo & Kazooie

2020 was most likely going to be Steve before the pandemic.

So if there's another big headliner character this pass, I think they were originally going to be saved until E3 2021.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Are you guys really taking a list of characters from each company that someone would like and telling them to change it? Really? That seems kinda wack.
If you just post a list of characters from companies and say "It may be upgraded" with little context it sends off the impression that the creator wants to add more to the list.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I do wonder though if the fact that FP2's spread over two years will affect that. As a hypotheoretical scenario (and purely hypotheoretical) there might be some incentive for Nintendo to try and spread the "big names" (as porous of a definition as that is) a bit in order to keep FP2 going a while. Neither 4's DLC nor FP1 were spread over two years after all.
Being fair, Smash 4’s DLC had three returning veretans, two of them being semi-clones of a base game character, so conceptualizing and developing movesets was actually much faster for that game’s DLC than either of Ultimate’s Passes.

And as far as we know, nothing from Pass 1 required the entire game to be reworked like what happened with Steve, so development wasn’t as nightmarish.

Furthermore, because no one seems to get it, we don’t know the true deadline. “December 31st 2021” is a localization thing; Japan only says the year. Could’ve been only a year and a half before COVID, for all we know.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the whole deal is that The Subspace Emissary is better if you like Adventure Mode better, and The World of Light is better if you like Event Mode better.

Hot take though? The Great Maze was great. Y'all are just mean. :p In all seriousness it might could have done with being a bit smaller, and having a map that you can access whenever, but I think it's a good level.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
SSE was obviously great but you gotta realize that it was also a massive development sink. Practically a whole movie's worth of cutscenes, unique locations and enemies, etc. If not for that Brawl wouldn't have been delayed and/or we would have gotten at least Mewtwo and Roy back, maybe even Dixie, Toon Zelda, and whoever pra_mai is. It becomes a question of if the tradeoff was really worth more than "was SSE good?"

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the whole deal is that The Subspace Emissary is better if you like Adventure Mode better, and The World of Light is better if you like Event Mode better.

Hot take though? The Great Maze was great. Y'all are just mean. :p In all seriousness it might could have done with being a bit smaller, and having a map that you can access whenever, but I think it's a good level.
My issues with SSE were actually because I really liked the potential of Adventure Mode, and thought the former squandered a good chance to really expand on it. While the disappointing nature of the platforming may have been inevitable given the contrasting characters (designing interesting levels for fighters with different weights, speeds, and jumps is pretty difficult), the lack of real Nintendo settings and overreliance on original enemies vs. actually fighting Metroids, Kremlings, Moblins, etc was not. Its especially odd given the cutscenes and most of the bosses are novel because they're mixing up various Nintendo IP's in interesting combinations and yet the core game doesn't do that nearly enough.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
SSE was obviously great but you gotta realize that it was also a massive development sink. Practically a whole movie's worth of cutscenes, unique locations and enemies, etc. If not for that Brawl wouldn't have been delayed and/or we would have gotten at least Mewtwo and Roy back, maybe even Dixie, Toon Zelda, and whoever pra_mai is. It becomes a question of if the tradeoff was really worth more than "was SSE good?"
Or maybe the game would’ve had better balance?

:metaknight:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

So if there's another big headliner character this pass, I think they were originally going to be saved until E3 2021.
In that case we should expect a megaton character next year as well.

As for who it could be. Crash, Sora, Master Chief, etc. We'll have to wait and see.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
As an avid Duke fan, I'd be all aboard for his inclusion. But man, oh man would people flip if he made it in but Mai didn't even get a spirit cuz she's 'not a good girl' XD And as much as I love Duke, I'm still in the Doom Guy camp because the meme needs to be official. That tiny pupper needs to be handing her bestest friend a Smash invite.
I love Duke Nukem too but I don't even think his games were ever released in Japan. At least Doom was. But I think even Doom has an uphill battle to get in Smash. I'd consider it lucky if we got a Mii costume.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I personally think it was worth it, as it was a pretty endless source of enjoyment for me. An Adventure Mode like this would be worth doing in the future as well imo so long as it's outsourced like it was supposed to be for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Which, in that case, that megaton fighter would likely be CP11. The last of the pass...

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm of the opinion that it makes more sense to lead with the biggest names and secure sales while interest is at its peak. Most people that were interested in it will have probably already bought the pass after the first few fighters and then they can toss in lesser known characters to end things off with a la Terry and Byleth for FP1.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I personally think it was worth it, as it was a pretty endless source of enjoyment for me. An Adventure Mode like this would be worth doing in the future as well imo so long as it's outsourced like it was supposed to be for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
I will say I think SSE was a good choice for the direction Brawl went. Meaty single player content is great for the more casual focus of the game, and it felt pretty "epic" which was sort of a design direction with Brawl. I think I like ult's overall direction better and SSE would have run counter to it though.

If the next smash truly is a reboot with significant cuts, I think a big adventure mode like SSE would be a great choice to offset that.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm of the opinion that it makes more sense to lead with the biggest names and secure sales while interest is at its peak. Most people that were interested in it will have probably already bought the pass after the first few fighters and then they can toss in lesser known characters to end things off with a la Terry and Byleth for FP1.
We so far got Steve. I don't know how bigger you can get than Minecraft.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If you just post a list of characters from companies and say "It may be upgraded" with little context it sends off the impression that the creator wants to add more to the list.
I am more curious about what the colors are supposed to mean

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Don't you know? Colors weave into a spiral of flame! :4pacman:

I think red are companies with fighters in Smash, green not.
Microsoft was marked as Green though, so I guess it’s a “newcomer” company. Anyone in red is a “veteran” company who’s been in smash before Ultimate

I guess?

Ivander

Smash Legend
People talk about SSE, World of Light, and Melee Adventure mode, but nobody talks about this 10/10 mode
View attachment 290902
What I would give for that mode back with some new additions/options, like being able to choose the endgame mode you play at the end, how much time you do the Smash Run for, maybe select which enemies appear more frequently, etc. Just like Air Ride's City Trial. Heck, with Bosses available and most Assist Trophies defeat-able, it'd be cool if some Bosses and Assist Trophies appeared as in-game Smash Run bosses to fight against, kinda like how City Trial had moments like Dyna Blade or T.A.C.

But seriously, I want Smash Run back so much.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like with Smash, you really have to make a choice between having a large roster (of both characters AND stages) or having a whole bunch of extra game modes (trophies, adventure mode, break the targets, etc). You can't really do both unless you want the game to come out in like, five years.

It's clear for Ultimate they decided to basically sacrifice nearly everything else for the sake of having the largest possible crossover.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Again, we don’t know that!

You’re using localization-exclusive words rather than the original Japanese statements
Tbh, December 2021 souds like a pretty reasonable deadline. Roughly one character every 3 and a half months - not that different from what we had in Pass 1 and would fit reasonably well with the wait between Min Min and Steve.

Plus, I'd rather expect that and be pleasantly surprised if we get the final 4 sooner rather than expect it to end sooner and be disappointed if it doesn't.

We so far got Steve. I don't know how bigger you can get than Minecraft.
As far as singular games, we can't. For series, there's about two or three, but I'm not sure Nintendo would go for those.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
???

The pass doesn't end until 2021 of December.

If anything it'll be CP9 or CP10. Plus Smash is always known for ending on anti-climatic notes.
Judging from the fact that each character has been 3ish months apart just like last pass was 2ish months apart. That would put CP9 around Jan-Feb, CP10 around Apr-May, and finally CP11 around Jul-Aug

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually I Gotta ask

in your opinion, What do you think would need to be in a Ultimate port (if they decided to do an upgraded Ultimate Port), for people to buy it, knowing it's the same game but it's upgraded and such

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Actually I Gotta ask

in your opinion, What do you think would need to be in a Ultimate port (if they decided to do an upgraded Ultimate Port), for people to buy it, knowing it's the same game but it's upgraded and such
Few new characters. A few new modes. Promise of future content. That sort of thing. New modes is a big one though. Only reason I bought MK8DX was cause of Battlemode.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Actually I Gotta ask

It would, obviously, need to include all characters from the previous packs. It'd also likely need at least a few new fighters (Lets face it, characters are the main reason people will buy Smash) and likely a few more stages and modes (Likely additional music tracks to go along with the added fighters and stages). It doesn't need a huge amount of new content but it needs enough to really make you want to buy it.

Edit: But then it'd basically be another fighters pass, plus a mode or two.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually I Gotta ask

Literally nothing.

It's Smash.
It'll sell.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Actually I Gotta ask

More characters and an extra mode. That's pretty much the only reason more casual players buy new Smash games in the first place, TBH. :drshrug:

Hardcore fans will pretty much buy it regardless for the same reasons: More characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom