• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just because we don’t have Waluigi, Geno, Isaac, Dixie & Bandana Dee doesn’t mean that Nintendo’s been ignoring hardcore Nintendo fans.

:ultbanjokazooie::ultridley::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultinkling: getting in as well as all of the veterans returning happened because they wanted to please fans. If it wasn’t for fan demand, the only one of those characters we would’ve seen is Inkling.
We were specifically talking about the context of first parties in DLC, though. Most of these are either base game or third party.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I believe Hero’s the only FP to have content exclusively from the fighter’s series only, no costumes of any other series, Square or otherwise
Which is why I'm awfully suspicious of Geno and Chocobo's situation - not to say Geno is definitely coming, but I'm fairly confident that someone from Square Enix will. I have an itching feeling Square Enix is a little more strict about the distribution of their costumes compared to Capcom or Namco.

I will say though if any of the remaining costumes straight up will not come back... it would probably be Chocobo. The FF stuff is difficult enough as is so that wouldn't surprise me. Geno on the other hand I can't see being that much of an issue.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Which is why I'm awfully suspicious of Geno and Chocobo's situation - not to say Geno is definitely coming, but I'm fairly confident that someone from Square Enix will. I have an itching feeling Square Enix is a little more strict about the distribution of their costumes compared to Capcom or Namco.
I feel the same tbh, it was the same way in 4. They could have included Geno sooner if not Chocobo but no his costume HAD to come with Cloud

kinda sus

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel the same tbh, it was the same way in 4. They could have included Geno sooner if not Chocobo but no his costume HAD to come with Cloud

kinda sus
Yeah that's also true, although I would say that it makes sense for them to have waited until the first Square Enix character was revealed to release Geno - since otherwise that would have been the first deal struck with them at all.

Granted this theory of SE's costume distribution at least remains consistent through Smash 4 either way. It's much weirder now though.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Nah. I want Waluigi but I will never expect him to join the Roster. Thus why I'm expecting King Boo to be the Mario Character if we even get one.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
We were specifically talking about the context of first parties in DLC, though. Most of these are either base game or third party.
They front loaded the beginning of this game’s life with big fan requested Nintendo characters, I don’t think it’s unreasonable that they’ve focused on other things now. I’m sure there’s one more character left that’s been a long time fan request too.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to buy into there being some deeper significance to the fact that the Geno costume isn't back yet. In reality, the only cases of returning Mii costumes being timed to come out alongside a "related" character were, at most, the Tails & Knuckles ones with Joker (both technically Sega) and Akira & Jacky alongside Terry (fighting games).

We've gotten 4 returning Mega Man costumes, Heihachi, and Gil, and yet none of these are at all related to the character that came out at the same time. There's 4 character patches left to add costumes back with, and 3-5 sets of costumes from SSB4 left to bring forward (depending on whether you lump Chocobo with Geno / lump together the MonHun ones). There's probably just going to be 1-2 returning costumes per patch for the rest of the DLC, as it's more or less been that way all along.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as “appealing to their fanbase” I think it’s understated just how many things have been covered with 1st party representation in the base game.

We have the main protagonist and main villain from several of the core franchises. We have over 10 Mario characters and 10 Pokémon characters. We have Nintendo characters new and old, highly requested and unexpected.

We even have Banjo-Kazooie, a character who characterizes a time many look back at fondly, and is one of the most hype inclusions from the viewpoint of “adding a character for first party fans”.

Now, I’m not going to say anybody should just “be fine with what they have”. That’s just rude. For context, however, we’ve got folks who are eatin good...dozens of quality Nintendo characters to choose from, stages, and music. Now, the highest requested Nintendo characters are lower in importance either as individuals or within the series they are in. While they are great characters, we’re down to picks like Dixie Kong, Waluigi, or Bandanna Waddle Dee. Dixie has been a protagonist in 2 games, one several years older than the other, while the other two are consistently supporting characters in series that have plenty of content in Smash already. You have characters such as these lines up with characters outside of Nintendo who are the lead of their respective games or series.

This is not to say they wouldn’t be quality additions, or that anybody is silly for wanting them.

However, the line of thinking that “1st party fans need to have a bone thrown to them” implies that:

1) Nintendo fans can only be pleased with Nintendo characters
2) Any 3rd party character satisfies fans who want specific 3rd party characters

Steve is cool, but does he appeal to fans of Monster Hunter or Devil May Cry? He could, but there are folks who specifically want their characters, who have no playable content or little content in the game.

Certainly, the same logic applies to folks who want Nintendo characters, but those folks might want Dixie and have 3 Donkey Kong characters, while somebody who wants 2B has...nothing.

At least, there’s where I can see the difference in appeal for fans, and the appeal for Nintendo to branch out to new brands. There is plenty of content from their own IP that it may be considered desirable on their end to continue collaborating.

So basically, I’m not telling Waluigi, Dixie, and BWD fans to shut up and accept what they have. Keep supporting your characters! However, just keep in mind where we currently are at and why many folks are more interested in 3rd parties. This doesn’t necessarily apply to myself, as I would likely be pleased with anything, but I advise folks to keep that in mind.

Frankly, if it makes anybody feel better I believe this is part of why some folks would prefer characters from new 3rd parties as opposed to those we already have. Though, most 3rd party rosters are already covered in non-playable forms. Shadow is an AT, Knuckles is an AT and costume, Tails is a costume, Zero is an AT, several Mega Man costumes, Dr. Wily is an AT, Yellow Devil Boss, etc.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Nah. I want Waluigi but I will never expect him to join the Roster. Thus why I'm expecting King Boo to be the Mario Character if we even get one.
I'd rather see Professor E. Gadd before King Boo, but I certainly wouldn't mind King Boo.

-----------

On the topic of Geno's Mii Costume, I think it means something that it hasn't returned yet. Maybe not "GENO CONFIRMED!!!," but there's seemingly no issue getting the costume back (since Geno's spirit is in the game), and Sakurai has addressed Geno's popularity a few times. I'd say either he's a deluxe costume, or that puppet might actually be in the game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A strong, yet non-gimmicky character being added would be pretty nice. Or at least one that's not super over the top. Banjo just has some 'charges' to his Side B and thats it; that's not bad at all. Even Joker isn't all that bad; it's basically just Limit break that provides a temporary buff. Not super complicated.
Crash and Rayman could be simple. We've seen most platform characters are more so.

SKX31

Smash Master
Steve is cool, but does he appeal to fans of Monster Hunter or Devil May Cry? He could, but there are folks who specifically want their characters, who have no playable content or little content in the game.
Y'know what? %$#@ it, stylish action Minecraft. It's a thing now.

Block May Cry

%$#@ YEAH
TURN UP THE MUSIC!

:4dedede:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As far as “appealing to their fanbase” I think it’s understated just how many things have been covered with 1st party representation in the base game.

We have the main protagonist and main villain from several of the core franchises. We have over 10 Mario characters and 10 Pokémon characters. We have Nintendo characters new and old, highly requested and unexpected.

We even have Banjo-Kazooie, a character who characterizes a time many look back at fondly, and is one of the most hype inclusions from the viewpoint of “adding a character for first party fans”.

Now, I’m not going to say anybody should just “be fine with what they have”. That’s just rude. For context, however, we’ve got folks who are eatin good...dozens of quality Nintendo characters to choose from, stages, and music. Now, the highest requested Nintendo characters are lower in importance either as individuals or within the series they are in. While they are great characters, we’re down to picks like Dixie Kong, Waluigi, or Bandanna Waddle Dee. Dixie has been a protagonist in 2 games, one several years older than the other, while the other two are consistently supporting characters in series that have plenty of content in Smash already. You have characters such as these lines up with characters outside of Nintendo who are the lead of their respective games or series.

This is not to say they wouldn’t be quality additions, or that anybody is silly for wanting them.

However, the line of thinking that “1st party fans need to have a bone thrown to them” implies that:

1) Nintendo fans can only be pleased with Nintendo characters
2) Any 3rd party character satisfies fans who want specific 3rd party characters

Certainly, the same logic applies to folks who want Nintendo characters, but those folks might want Dixie and have 3 Donkey Kong characters, while somebody who wants 2B has...nothing.

At least, there’s where I can see the difference in appeal for fans, and the appeal for Nintendo to branch out to new brands. There is plenty of content from their own IP that it may be considered desirable on their end to continue collaborating.

So basically, I’m not telling Waluigi, Dixie, and BWD fans to shut up and accept what they have. Keep supporting your characters. However, just keep in mind where we currently are at and why many folks are more interested in 3rd parties. This doesn’t necessarily apply to myself, as I would likely be pleased with anything, but I advise folks to keep that in mind.

Frankly, if it makes anybody feel better I believe this is part of why some folks would prefer characters from new 3rd parties as opposed to those we already have. Though, most 3rd party rosters are already covered in non-playable forms. Shadow is an AT, Knuckles is an AT and costume, Tails is a costume, Zero is an AT, several Mega Man costumes, Dr. Wily is an AT, Yellow Devil Boss, etc.
True, that is a good point, but then you could make a similar argument to third-party series that are already represented in other ways, like Bomberman, MH, NMH and Resident Evil. And it would also be extremely rude to say "nah, you've already got something, even though it wasn't really what you wanted". I'm not one of those people who sees Spirits or Miis as a slight or anything, but they'll never be the same as getting a full-blown character. And that applies to first parties as well.

I know that's not what you are saying, but tbh that's the vibe I get from other posts here sometimes. There's also the whole idea that any remaining first party wouldn't sell (which is a bizarre argument after the SwSh controversy, the limited time offer thing and of course, :ultpiranha: being an early-purchase bonus). This is Smash - people, especially casuals, will likely buy it regardless.

Slightly off-topic, I sometimes think that the whole "biggest crossover in gaming that will never happen again" gets overstated to fearmongering levels. Like, there's 4 slots left, it's impossible, by definition, to cover all video game icons left.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly, none of my characters are happening, so I would be fine with anything for them.
Waluigi as a Mii
Dixie Kong as a Mii
Ruby Heart as a Mii, or just Marvel vs Capcom getting an Event, labeled as something like (THE CAPCOM ALL-STARS or something)
Deltarune getting ANYTHING!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly I think the only reason Geno is still allowed to be talked about is because of this interview

View attachment 290074

And also the fact that we still haven't seen his Mii costume return, after seven different waves.
I honestly think that Geno was the inspiration for the Mii Gunner (not the Mii Shooter...) I think the design was based with the costume in mind was Geno. Most guns are not arm cannon-s that's a very specific take for the base. This is why I think Geno is important, and also why I think he will be in- as a preMiium.

TheBeastHimself

Honestly, none of my characters are happening, so I would be fine with anything for them.
Waluigi as a Mii
Dixie Kong as a Mii
Ruby Heart as a Mii, or just Marvel vs Capcom getting an Event, labeled as something like (THE CAPCOM ALL-STARS or something)
Deltarune getting ANYTHING!
A line of thought I could personally never get behind is "if my most wanted is a Mii Costume, I'll be pissed. I'd rather have nothing than a Mii Costume." To me personally, your character is still getting represented in gaming's biggest crossover.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If it makes you feel better, I don't see how they can overcomplicate Kunio. Then again, I've never played his games...
I mean, by Rival Showdown, he has, like, 60 moves. But if he just plays like he does in, say, Tokyo Rumble, his moveset is perfect for a standard Smash character.

But then Sakurai would probably ruin it with some kinda going in a shop and buying food mechanic...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A line of thought I could personally never get behind is "if my most wanted is a Mii Costume, I'll be pissed. I'd rather have nothing than a Mii Costume." To me personally, your character is still getting represented in gaming's biggest crossover.
It depends on how invested you are, I suppose. I'm actively thinking/hoping Reimu has a chance, so I'd be pretty bummed if she got Mii'd. It's not the end of the world, obviously, but it'd be a bit of a dampener for my mood. Adol, I'm not as invested, but I'd still go "Aw, darn." Though, with Ys' influence of RPGs, I'd still be proven correct that we'd get some sort of representation for it, so at least I can take solace in that. And Klonoa? I'd be happy that he's even acknowledged.

In the end, it's better than nothing. Any sort of representation is nice. Still, it would suck since you know there could've been a better outcome.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t think it’s unreasonable that they’ve focused on other things now.
You could say the same thing about trying to attract new audiences to the game. SSBU is already the best selling fighting game of all time, and the one character Nintendo has been begging for for years is already in, and I doubt any other character would've been in the same position as Steve.

TheBeastHimself

It depends on how invested you are, I suppose. I'm actively thinking/hoping Reimu has a chance, so I'd be pretty bummed if she got Mii'd. It's not the end of the world, obviously, but it'd be a bit of a dampener for my mood. Adol, I'm not as invested, but I'd still go "Aw, darn." Though, with Ys' influence of RPGs, I'd still be proven correct that we'd get some sort of representation for it, so at least I can take solace in that. And Klonoa? I'd be happy that he's even acknowledged.

In the end, it's better than nothing. Any sort of representation is nice. Still, it would suck since you know there could've been a better outcome.
Oh absolutely, that makes sense. But, have you seen people rage over it, saying things like "Sakurai is a ****ing idiot who doesn't listen to the community by making 'X' a Mii Costume!" I haven't seen it necessarily on this site, but there's definitely folks out there with that kind of attitude.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I honestly think that Geno was the inspiration for the Mii Gunner (not the Mii Shooter...) I think the design was based with the costume in mind was Geno. Most guns are not arm cannon-s that's a very specific take for the base. This is why I think Geno is important, and also why I think he will be in- as a preMiium.
To Be Fair, I think an Arm Cannon is the most kid-Friendly Base to make a Mii Gunner around, Kind of like how Samus and Mega Man have Arm Cannons

As for Geno though, I do think Sakurai does see the Similarities between Geno and Mii Gunner, and due to Geno's Situation, That might be For or Against him. Remember that Sakurai noted the Most about Geno's Gun for an arm, which Mii Gunner Heavily uses in his Moveset

So I think if the Slots are really tight, and Geno can match up to snuff to secure a Slot, it at least makes it much easier to Make Geno seems he's playable, if they give him the Costume Upgrade.

True, that is a good point, but then you could make a similar argument to third-party series that are already represented in other ways, like Bomberman, MH, NMH and Resident Evil. And it would also be extremely rude to say "nah, you've already got something, even though it wasn't really what you wanted". I'm not one of those people who sees Spirits or Miis as a slight or anything, but they'll never be the same as getting a full-blown character. And that applies to first parties as well.

I know that's not what you are saying, but tbh that's the vibe I get from other posts here sometimes. There's also the whole idea that any remaining first party wouldn't sell (which is a bizarre argument after the SwSh controversy, the limited time offer thing and of course, :ultpiranha: being an early-purchase bonus). This is Smash - people, especially casuals, will likely buy it regardless.

Slightly off-topic, I sometimes think that the whole "biggest crossover in gaming that will never happen again" gets overstated to fearmongering levels. Like, there's 4 slots left, it's impossible, by definition, to cover all video game icons left.
Maybe or maybe not. I talked to some buddies yesterday and they told me they only Got Steve and not Min-Min. Granted there was only like 2 or 3 that said that, but I bet that stretches more in the fanbase

Not to say Min-Min doesn't sell, or First Parties in general. However I will say that since FP2 is extra Cost on top of base game and FP1, and less people are sticking around with the game, 1st party characters are gonna have more trouble appealing to casuals. They can still do that though, but it needs to be Really Popular like Waluigi.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

It also depends on the specific situation. When Terry was revealed I talked about how I wanted Kyo to at least get a costume - because there was no way they were both gonna be playable, at least not in the same Pass. It would have been better than just a Spirit imo.

Then again - Bomberman got an AT, a Spirit AND a Mii Costume - and if anything, it's only made me want the little guy more for future Smash games.

It can also be more disappointing when said character seemed to have a good shot beforehand - it was the case with Isaac and Shadow's ATs and Travis' Mii Costume, for example.

...but yes, a Klonoa costume would make me happy, considering how the series is dormant (heh).

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Mii Costumes of my most wanteds?

If Octolings can't be playable, I'd totally be down for some Mii costumes. All the Splatoon ones look super good, honestly.

Waluigi's already got a hat, but the outfit would be nice. Honestly, I wouldn't mind them making a Waluigi mask either, although making a good Waluigi Mii isn't too terribly hard.

Yuri getting costumed probably ain't happening 'cause Lloyd's costume will probably come back instead IMHO, but on the off-chance Lloyd actually makes it to playable, Yuri probably has a good shot at being costumed. I'd take it. :drshrug:

Eggman getting a costume would be hilarious given all the meme potential, but I figure that would've come with the returning Tails and Knuckles costumes, so that's probably out.

Ooooh, y'know what would make a good Mii costume? Katamari Prince. That'd be amazing, especially if it includes a music track.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh absolutely, that makes sense. But, have you seen people rage over it, saying things like "Sakurai is a ****ing idiot who doesn't listen to the community by making 'X' a Mii Costume!" I haven't seen it necessarily on this site, but there's definitely folks out there with that kind of attitude.
If that's how people act I don't think I want to see them rage
It also depends on the specific situation. When Terry was revealed I talked about how I wanted Kyo to at least get a costume - because there was no way they were both gonna be playable, at least not in the same Pass. It would have been better than just a Spirit imo.

Then again - Bomberman got an AT, a Spirit AND a Mii Costume - and if anything, it's only made me want the little guy more for future Smash games.

It can also be more disappointing when said character seemed to have a good shot beforehand - it was the case with Isaac and Shadow's ATs and Travis' Mii Costume, for example.

...but yes, a Klonoa costume would make me happy, considering how the series is dormant (heh).
Yeah, context is everything. The guessing games, both the intentional one and the unintentional one, gave hope for characters that nobody would even consider. I wonder what would happen if we woke up one day and found that someone had accidentally placed Falcom's name in the trademarks...

Either way, I'm more worried for characters I think have an actual shot. I'll happily accept Mii Costumes fir those who didn't. Doesn't help that Adol and Reimu have both had designs in some games with small, Mii-like proportions. Then again, Travis got Mii'd despite not looking the part, so...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not to say Min-Min doesn't sell, or First Parties in general. However I will say that since FP2 is extra Cost on top of base game and FP1, and less people are sticking around with the game, 1st party characters are gonna have more trouble appealing to casuals. They can still do that though, but it needs to be Really Popular like Waluigi.
Do you think Steve had to wait until FP2 because of casuals being stingy? Because it wasn't that. It was the needed amount of dev time, and being bigger than anyone in FP1 was merely a coincidence. Plus I'd think a dwindling audience would be better for smaller characters, because you wouldn't have as many people complaining that it wasn't Jonesy or whoever.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I can't see Maxwell getting anything but a fighter (on the immensely slim chance he's chosen). He's in a very terrible position: he's owned by At&t, which is a very big company that I see no reason dealing with for anything less than a fighter, but he's not significant enough to actually be added as a fighter. His only avenue is a bargaining chip in a much bigger deal (we give you zelda's movie rights but one of the conditions is the addition of Maxwell to Smash)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Do you think Steve had to wait until FP2 because of casuals being stingy? Because it wasn't that. It was the needed amount of dev time, and being bigger than anyone in FP1 was merely a coincidence. Plus I'd think a dwindling audience would be better for smaller characters, because you wouldn't have as many people complaining that it wasn't Jonesy or whoever.
I Didn't say anything about Steve having to wait till FP2, and I Know it was because of Implementation issues he's in FP2

I'm just saying that Casuals won't just buy everything now, Especially now when Less casuals are Paying attention to Smash than back when FP1 was happening. Getting Smaller Characters could be best, if only because it be cheaper to License and with the budget probably not being as big, would make sense. I'm just saying that not every Casual gonna by Min-Min, or something like that

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You'll see it on Twitter, people are rabid thinking it's a ****ing insult when the entire purpose of a costume is to include them when they literally can't be a part of the playable roster. It's astounding people honestly believe Sakurai is spitting on their face or something by giving someone a Mii costume option.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You'll see it on Twitter, people are rabid thinking it's a ****ing insult when the entire purpose of a costume is to include them when they literally can't be a part of the playable roster. It's astounding people honestly believe Sakurai is spitting on their face or something by giving someone a Mii costume option.
It's unfortunate that people think this way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
...That explains a lot, actually.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its a bit shame that base game didn’t get these 4 fighters; Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kids and Elma. You get 2 very big “eternal” requests from first party IPs, complementing Ridley and King K Rool as the big quarter (first party IPs, not including folks like Banjo-Kazooie), another Xeno rep (an IP that is growing more any day) and one of the last internal developed Nintendo IPs that don’t have playable representation. In addition, they should have added a MH stage with more music and spirits. With that, I think base game would have feel very complete and people would be a bit more relaxed with DLC choices.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Rhythm Heaven should've gotten a Stage. It could've even been based off of only one Mini Game, like Night Walk for example. That alongside some more music and it would've felt complete.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
For some, anything short of directly playable is a middle finger. Especially in a game where you can play as a Piranha Plant and the Dog from Duck Hunt, as well as the trainer from Wii Fit. And yet (so-and-so Mii Costume/Assist/pre-Min Min or DLC Spirit) isn't?

For others, and the likely intent, it's a way to celebrate them even if time and money couldn't be put into making them a fighter.

I've noticed this before, but the positive reactions tend to come from newcomer Mii Costumes/Assists (introduced in that game) while the negative ones come from veteran ones (returning from previous games), with a few exceptions. People were raving when Sans and Cuphead got Miis and Shovel Knight got an Assist. Less so when Waluigi/Isaac/Shadow got Assist'd and Heihachi got Mii'd.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Any left-field characters you guys could see make it in? Some that comes to mind are

Chun-Li
Lara Croft (I feel people are really sleeping on her and if any Square character is gonna get in next its her given she's next in line to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest as Mario, Pokemon, and Legend of Zelda are to Nintendo)
Nightmare
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Sephiroth/Tifa Lockhart
Sol Badguy

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Any left-field characters you guys could see make it in? Some that comes to mind are

Chun-Li
Lara Croft (I feel people are really sleeping on her and if any Square character is gonna get in next its her given she's next in line to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest as Mario, Pokemon, and Legend of Zelda are to Nintendo)
Nightmare
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Sephiroth/Tifa Lockhart
Sol Badguy
Those aren't left-field at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom