• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nintendo out here once again with the FOMO tactic lol. This likely won't be the last of it.
If this trend sets forth with a potential Mother 3 localization, I'd better see a negative response leveling that of the National Dex uproar from last year.
And even worse if they tried to do it with next year's Pokemon game.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Nintendo out here once again with the FOMO tactic lol. This likely won't be the last of it.
If this trend sets forth with a potential Mother 3 localization, I'd better see a negative response leveling that of the National Dex uproar from last year.
And even worse if they tried to do it with next year's Pokemon game.
That's a neat trailer, but it's a shame that it won't be a part of NES Online. And no, I'm not gonna pirate it. I'm too much of a coward to hack my Switch.
Nintendo will pull this crap with BotW2. Honestly, if CNN, MSNBC, or FOX ever decide to do a Story on Nintendo's Limited Release Strategy, then that would be a G O D S E N D ! because Nintendo's Stock would drop IMMEDIATELY!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, they're definitely doing the Limited Release thing with BotW2 now that I think about it.
I doubt they'll do that since they're gonna want the revenue of their new titles to come in for much longer than a month or two, but this is almost certainly going to become standard with any special re-releases, and perhaps ports in general down the line.

can we drop the piracy discussion please? Especially for a console that’s literally on the market right now

if it was Wii U or older I could excuse it but come on, that’s like trying to emulate the PS5 or XSX
Yeah, it's illegal, and it's not OK. If you don't like the practice, then don't buy the game, and raise a stink.

If enough people do that, then they'll cut it out real quick.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I doubt they'll do that since they're gonna want the revenue of their new titles to come in for much longer than a month or two, but this is almost certainly going to become standard with any special re-releases, and perhaps ports in general down the line.

Yeah, it's illegal, and it's not OK. If you don't like the practice, then don't buy the game, and raise a stink.

If enough people do that, then they'll cut it out real quick.
If you do it in Japanese anyways. That and get A L L major Japanese News Outlets on them. Which is near impossible since it's extremely hard to get them to budge either.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I get that Nintendo sees things like this just as "a cool bonus for the anniversary of a beloved series", but that's no excuse for the limited time thing.

And like, it's not the bare minimum because at least they added some needed QOL updates... but we're still talking about a translated ROM of a 30-year-old game that already got a remake which, while it wasn't perfect; at the very least had a full FIGS localization...
Also translating the other 4-5 Japan-only FE would have been nice, but then again if they have to end up being available for a limited time maybe there wasn't even a point, because screw game preservation, amirite?

sigh Why can't we never have nice things...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Looks like limited releases are gonna be a common thing now...

Imagine if Mother 3 gets an official English translation but it's only available for a few months. Just the thought of that is making me sick.
I see your Mother 3 limited release and I raise you a Melee (with online mode) limited digital release. :4pacman:

" SKX31 SKX31 is typing..."

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They're definitely not gonna stop. 3D All-Stars and SwSh sold like gangbusters despite the backlash to each. Nintendo will keep cutting corners and limiting releases; we just should've seen it coming the second they killed off the Virtual Console.
It seems like they will only pull this **** with legacy content, Pikmin 3 is not a limited release neither is Age Of Calamity, So i'd imagine BotW 2 and future Pokemon games are fine.

Also on the topic of Piracy, **** me if I want to play the game on the go I guess.
Mobile Piracy on Android and yeah. Honestly, only non violent way to get Nintendo to stop with the Limited Release Strategy is to get them into a PR Disaster in Japan which I don't think any of us can pull off unless Sony does it themselves.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Doesn't help that some people legitimately think that Mother 3 stands a chance at meeting a similar fate just because another Japan only game is getting localized.
Is it sad that the silver lining here is that such fears are misplaced, not because they wouldn't give Mother 3 a timed & localized re-release, but because they wouldn't give Mother 3 a localized re-release at all?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The only way to stop this is to not buy the game.

Unfortunately after 3D All Stars I don't have much faith in fans doing that. I won't criticize it because in the end each one does what he wants, and if someone wants to spend his money in the game, he has the right to do it.

A part of me wants to believe they're not actually doing limited time releases, and it is just a stunt in order to sell more. For 3D All Stars I can see them selling each game separately after March 2021 for like, 40? bucks or something. But that line of thinking doesn't work very well for Fire Emblem 1. I mean, it is supposed to cost 6 dollars, right? Yeah, they had to localize it to english and they have added 2-3 features but it's not like it's a remake or something. It's basically the original ROM of the game with some changes, as far as I understand. I can't see Nintendo being brave enough to sell this for like 20 or 30 bucks when the limited time offer ends. But who knows.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ew, Japan exclusive Corrin and Byleth. The community may not want them, but getting straight up less content feels even worse.
The Japan meta with exclusive swordfighters... not sure if I want that either.

As for the limited edition bull****: Yeah, my opinion should be clear when I use that word. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a product of a company culture that's still rooted in the pre-Internet days and seeing the limited edition releases still as special offers timed for anniversaries. The Super Mario All-Stars re-release on the Wii and the 3D Zelda re-release on the GCN should point to that.

Now, the real problems I have with the limited digital re-releases are two-fold:

1. It essentially exasperates the ROM hunt. While Nintendo's staunchly anti-emulator / ROM, combining limited-time with digital does run the risk of encouraging piracy once the limited time is out, unless Nintendo makes things permanent. As such, it becomes even more work for Nintendo's lawyers for rather dubious gains - it's not like Nintendo's efforts here have entirely slain the hydra.

2. The limited re-releases might drive artificial scarcity and captivate large audiences, yes, but there's also the risk to Nintendo's organizational culture here. Sure, they don't have to do a lot of work for a lot of money. But if Nintendo starts to lean into these re-releases more; chanches are that it reinforces the notion of "doing as little as neccessary". TBF, the Fire Emblem re-release does include a save state feature... but problem is that was already tried and true for the NES Classic. It does introduce the potential future issue where Nintendo doesn't start including say content from 64 DS until another major outcry / PR kerfuffle.

I see your Mother 3 limited release and I raise you a Melee (with online mode) limited digital release. :4pacman:

If that happened, I'd just know that a large portion of the Melee scene would riot over that. Especially if they (attempted to) shut down the Dolphin emulator / Faster Melee / Slippi and instead provided a delay-based online. If Nintendo's going to re-release Melee, there's additional pressure that its official re-release should have rollback due to Slippi.

Thing is, it's not the first time Nintendo's gotten a very large portion of the Melee scene rioting - Nintendo's attempt to shut down the Melee tournament (and subsuquent attempt to force the tournament off Twitch) at EVO 2013 did just that. And Nintendo did that since they saw no value in advertising a discontinued product. (Which points to a still-existing disconnect between Nintendo and the competitive hardcore, but that's another topic.)

Still, the use of Melee in the beginning of the FE trailer is very interesting. Not that it neccessarily means much, but still.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The most jarring thing is that even from a corporate perspective, it's hard to make heads or tails out of this.

Like, sure, a limited release forces people to buy early... but then you get a lot of Ebay copies being resold for like 6 times the price. I highly doubt Nintendo will ever see that money. Plus, as several people here said, it's almost like you WANT people to pirate/emulate your old game.

So if someone can explain to me how this strategy could possibly benefit Nintendo... I'm all ears, cuz I haven't got a single clue. :laugh:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
As a massive Fire Emblem fan, I have to say I'm pretty excited to see this happen. Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light is very rough around the edges, but that's part of its charm. Just like Gen 1 of Pokemon, the game is actually more fun when you're able to exploit some of the design choices.

Plus, if this gets us even a sliver closer to Jugdral's localization, then I'm more than alright with that.

Of course, the whole Disney Vault thing really sucks, but it seems like this is going to be Nintendo's modus operandi for anniversaries from now on. I'm now actively expecting a timed rerelease of Zelda's 3D outings and Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow for those series' anniversaries next year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

And it doesn't have Slippi netcode, so Melee fans boycott it.
Controversial opinion time: The "Smash Bubble" as a term has evolved into little more than shorthand for "This character I don't like is popular amongst the core fanbase, but their popularity is overblown by a vocal minority. Now this character I like, on the other hand, they've got real popularity. It's just from a silent majority that's drown out by all these nasty Smash fans that don't want a different opinion".

Not only do these takes usually have little in objective evidence or argumentation to back it up, but in what world is being popular amongst the core fanbase a knock against a character? They are the people who actually, y'know, buy and play the game, so throwing them a bone isn't necessarily a bad thing. The core fanbase's requests got Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo in and it's unlikely that "Everyone is here!" would've happen if not for fans demanding their long lost mains return.

That's not to say there aren't outsiders with valuable input, or that we've never gotten any interesting characters or ideas from listening to more casual requests, but it seems just as backwards to suggest that certain characters don't have legitimate popularity because they're only popular amongst a certain demographic.
I always saw it as "I am projecting my refusal of this character on to everyone else."

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
A part of me wants to believe they're not actually doing limited time releases, and it is just a stunt in order to sell more
Of course it's a stunt, there' a reason why the last date to get this it's March 31(the end of the fiscal year).

Besides, Nintendo has exploited artificial scarcity and consumer FOMO since the Wii launch, this is just taking that strategy to the next level in an even more anti-consumer way.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I am happy for FE fans getting the chance to experience this game, but I can't help but be amused at the optics of it just a little bit.

"Hey Nintendo, we'd really like to get Mother 3 localized in released the US and Europe."

"Got it, Fire Emblem is on its way."

"Wait, what?"
Meanwhile with Earthbound fans:
"WhErE iS mOtHeR 3 ?!?!?!?"
Yes. We do not enjoy the ignorance on Nintendo’s part. Such is our lives.

Looks like limited releases are gonna be a common thing now...

Imagine if Mother 3 gets an official English translation but it's only available for a few months. Just the thought of that is making me sick.
While I’m absolutely against the dumb limited releases, I’d still get it (Mother 3) simply because I’d like to have an officially released version. I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with wanting or buying it, regardless of how long it’s available for. I think the problem is the limited availability, not the desire to buy it (not saying you were implying one way or the other though). Like, regardless of how long it’s available for, I’m going to buy something if I want it. Again, having these big name games only up for limited release though is still insanely stupid.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The most jarring thing is that even from a corporate perspective, it's hard to make heads or tails out of this.

Like, sure, a limited release forces people to buy early... but then you get a lot of Ebay copies being resold for like 6 times the price. I highly doubt Nintendo will ever see that money. Plus, as several people here said, it's almost like you WANT people to pirate/emulate your old game.

So if someone can explain to me how this strategy could possibly benefit Nintendo... I'm all ears, cuz I haven't got a single clue. :laugh:
So that when Nintendo mercifully gives it another temporary release, people jump for joy and praise them for giving us another opportunity to buy it instead of having a normal ****ing release

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Speaking of inevitable. We know its hard to predict who the final four are but are there any characters you guys are feeling are inevitable?

Personally I'm feeling Rex.
Extremely late saying this but
NO ONE IS INEVITABLE
it’s just a saying that what ever good comes for their most wanted or a coincidental release on switch That they double down on in advance

so nobody is
Not Rex
Not Ryu H
Not Pokémon
Not even Geno(he ain’t even that close to inevitable anyway lol)

Like I would just be like I think x could happen but I won’t go full on saying it’s a inevitability there’s a possibility that said character could end up as a mii or spirit event

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Many switch related things seem to be converging onto March. Maybe something big will happen on that month like the Nintendo 2witch?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Sony, Microsoft, please. Get Nintendo's Limited Release Strategy into a Japanese Scandal so Nintendo can stop with this crap. Please? Just this once work together PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom