• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Of course it's a stunt, there' a reason why the last date to get this it's March 31(the end of the fiscal year).

Besides, Nintendo has exploited artificial scarcity and consumer FOMO since the Wii launch, this is just taking that strategy to the next level in an even more anti-consumer way.
They've done artificial scarcity since the NES days tho.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Prediction: the limited time releases are going to show up as My Nintendo rewards 6 months - 1 year after being removed from the Eshop (games in a collection being seperated). I think they're trying to make My Nintendo a thing (with the physical rewards), and their only software rewards being for the 3ds won't do.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know it was a GameFreak thing. I only brought up SwSh to demonstrate that all the online backlash in the world has next to no impact on sales figures.
That game probably only did as well as it did because the general public weren't aware that there were better console Pokemon rpg's in the past.

They just assumed that Sword and shield were the first of their kind when that's not the case.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Also, they're definitely doing the Limited Release thing with BotW2 now that I think about it.
Why?
Huh. Interesting. Just wish they had done the same for Panel de Pon, tbh.
Don't know why you need to localize a short and easy puzzle game

Anyways, while I'm not a fan of the Limited Release ideal, I'm gonna be a devil advocate, and say it makes sense for this old ass FE game

This will appeal to a specific niche, especially since we all know how the mainstream fells about Fire Emblem lmao
I have actually have doubts that this will do well as the Mario collection

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Don't know why you need to localize a short and easy puzzle game

Anyways, while I'm not a fan of the Limited Release ideal, I'm gonna be a devil advocate, and say it makes sense for this old ass FE game

This will appeal to a specific niche, especially since we all know how the mainstream fells about Fire Emblem lmao
I have actually have doubts that this will do well as the Mario collection
The problem is that even if this does fail, Nintendo is going to assume it's due to a lack of demand, not pissed off fans.

In order for this to go away, it can't just fail. It has to fail consistently.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The problem is that even if this does fail, Nintendo is going to assume it's due to a lack of demand, not pissed off fans.

In order for this to go away, it can't just fail. It has to fail consistently.
Idk, Nintendo's been perfectly fine with killing off franchises because of 1 installment selling less than they wanted, they've always gotten away with this

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Idk, Nintendo's been perfectly fine with killing off franchises because of 1 installment selling less than they wanted, they've always gotten away with this
That's why I said the tactic has to fail consistently. Every time they try it, and regardless of what the limited time game is. Otherwise they will just drop the game and potentially the entire series involved off a cliff as you say.

And of course such a drop in sales has to be accompanied by backlash to make it clear that the games are fine, but the practice is not, but the backlash alone isn't going to change any minds.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
SmashBoards when they realize that Fire Emblem could be killed off for good if it the cheap rerelease don't sell well

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have so much to say about the game that I could write an article about it.

Will probably use one of my PTO days to make sure I get a copy of the LE. Got nothing else to use them for.

Have played FE1 multiple times so I'd love for an excuse to play it again.

SKX31

Smash Master
Guys they added Marth during the 9.0.1 update just for Fire Emblem. How did they sneak him in so fast? Nothing but Fire Emblem favouritism!

View attachment 289939
0 / 10 Just :ultlucina: but tippers and no microspacing tools.

Needs a bigger grab range:

:4pacman:

What's even crazier is that Marth also had grab shenaningas in Brawl.

Also, even if this is a bit late:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If these were the final four. How would you guys feel?

Crash Bandicoot
Monster Hunter
Rex
Ryu Hayabusa
ok so while i get that a lot of people see this as too predictable, remember that a good choice is a good choice and these characters are gonna be in this roster forever meanwhile the "surprise" only lasts for the reveal. so instead imma just give a straight answer and say that none of these characters really appeal to me besides hayabusa. crash and monster hunter i'm pretty indifferent on, and rex is kinda bleh for me even if i don't hate him. overall, a 6/10.
Thoughts on the following?

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
and now we have the opposite situation here, with 3 bangers brought down by a meh character. kiryu and crono are ****ing fantastic choices and phoenix is straight-up in my top 5, it's reimu that i really don't care about. 8.5/10
Try this pass on:

78: Octoling
79: Elma
80: LoL rep
81: Neku
octoling is Cool, elma is Cool, neku is some top-tier taste right there and as for league...another bleh. 6.5/10

Rate this pass:

Your most wanted
Pepsiman
Dr. Goomba Stack
DmC Dan-tay
20/10. perfection.
Rate the pass, who I think are the most likely:
Geno
Doomslayer
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash
same exact deal as the mikey spikey pass, except there's no really "bleh" choices so the rating goes up from 6/10 to 6.5/10
Enough of these amateur passes! Time for the real ****!

View attachment 289875
hayabusa is great, contra is Cool, with kunio i'd rather have sol in terms of arcsys and axel in terms of beat-em-ups and arthur i simply do not care for. 6.75/10
I have no attachment to River City Ransom, so replace them with Haggar or Axel Stone then this would be amazing.

I’ll do two lists, my ideal scenario & something a bit more realistic:

8: Dante
9: Leon Kennedy
10: Crash
11: Master Chief

8: Sol Badguy
9: Yuri Lowell
10: Master Chief
11: Mipha

I actually think Hayabusa is the most likely right now, but I didn’t include him just for some diversity lol
first pass: dante and leon are both quality picks, chief and crash are more eh imo. 7/10

second pass: chief is once again eh, mipha is Cool, yuri is great and sol is awesome. 7.5/10

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
So now every game that is meant to be a celebration for an anniversary is going to be a limited time release?
Now I'm a bit upset because they most likely will do the same thing next year with Zelda and Metroid for their 25th anniversary. I can't accept a Metroid Prime Trilogy limited release... three games that deserve to be played by a wider audience because they're too good and because they need to sell well to revitalize the series can't be a limited time release

I.D.

Smash Lord
I actually beat the original Fire Emblem on an emulator. One of the slowest games I've ever played. Can't imagine playing it without turbo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Billybo10k's latest RTC.

Isaac
Chance: 50%
Want: 101%

Waluigi
Chance: 60%
Want: 85%

Ryu Hayabusa
Chance: 90%
Want: 20%

Shantae
Chance: 20%
Want: 45%

???
Chance: 99%
Want: 100%

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Nintendo is a company that can change in response to fans and have made a turnaround in the last five years away from some of its more dubious decisions.

But there are ones that realistically might take a generational/leadership shift to really change. The online still sucks, the handling of legacy content is lousy, and even configuration and preferred methods of play are still rare with too many of its releases. The company's success speaks for itself, but it still has some ways to go in moving from outdated ways of thinking in the gaming market.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They will do the Limited Release thing with Breath of the Wild 2. And if they (probably) do, there W I L L be a Riot. I can tell Nintendo's Limited Release Strategy will start a riot. I won't be the one to start them, I am H E A V I L Y against violence, but it will happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know what I find funniest about the whole "Steve meat" thing?

It's that, ever since the hotgirl thing, we still seem unable to go a week without discussing borderline NSFW content in this thread. :laugh:
I’m pretty sure that was an issue long before hotgirl lmao

I.D.

Smash Lord
They will do the Limited Release thing with Breath of the Wild 2. And if they (probably) do, there W I L L be a Riot. I can tell Nintendo's Limited Release Strategy will start a riot. I won't be the one to start them, I am H E A V I L Y against violence, but it will happen.
Calm down mr. CIA agent, they are not going to do a limited release for an evergreen title like BotW 2

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
As I said before, I'm pretty sure this strategy applies only to anniversary-related games. But still... It's an anti-consumer move and I don't like it at all!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ever since the death of the Virtual Console and the crappy amount of attention they give NES/SNES Online, it's clear to me that Nintendo must have been disappointed by the sales of their old games. Instead they use special events and scarcity to drive up sales or use it as a bonus to convince people to use their new service. It sucks.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Seems like more average people are surviving getting canceled recently so idk.

Also, if FE character odds tick back up because of this, I WILL gouge my eyes out.
I guess the more common it is, the less effective it is.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
Not justifying these "limited time only" releases, but let's not forget that the first game they pulled this with had its exclusivity cancelled on the last day before it was to be taken down.

Now that's obviously a somewhat different case, but I have to wonder if some marketing exec thought it was a brilliant idea to make this a recurring thing: "Say it's a limited-time deal, get people to buy it for fear of missing out, then get the PR boost of saying 'look you all loved it so much, we'll keep it around'! It's genius! We boost our short-term sales and get to look like we're pandering to the fans' wishes!" I don't like it, but I do wonder if that's the strategy in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom