• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Not justifying these "limited time only" releases, but let's not forget that the first game they pulled this with had its exclusivity cancelled on the last day before it was to be taken down.

Now that's obviously a somewhat different case, but I have to wonder if some marketing exec thought it was a brilliant idea to make this a recurring thing: "Say it's a limited-time deal, get people to buy it for fear of missing out, then get the PR boost of saying 'look you all loved it so much, we'll keep it around'! It's genius! We boost our short-term sales and get to look like we're pandering to the fans' wishes!" I don't like it, but I do wonder if that's the strategy in mind.
Given all the crazy stuff that's been happening this year, I wouldn't put it past some marketing executive to use that as a way to break through the noise that is the current news.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I really don't think limited releases are going to be a thing for literally every game, it seems to just be for anniversary rereleases of legacy content.

So, definitely scummy, but we're not quite in Disney Vault territory yet, where completely new products are thrown off shelves a year after release.
At the very least make Sunshine, 64 and Galaxy available for download individually later even if we gotta pay $35 each for em

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I have no attachment to River City Ransom, so replace them with Haggar or Axel Stone then this would be amazing.

I’ll do two lists, my ideal scenario & something a bit more realistic:

8: Dante
9: Leon Kennedy
10: Crash
11: Master Chief

8: Sol Badguy
9: Yuri Lowell
10: Master Chief
11: Mipha

I actually think Hayabusa is the most likely right now, but I didn’t include him just for some diversity lol
Finally a prediction list with Yuri in it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
WHOA WHOA WHOA
374C8862-174B-46B1-A79F-90A9155F916B.png

partner mini around this time? Idk why but I feel like there will not be a partner mini this month

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know I'm not saying anything controversial here, but timed releases ****ing suck. As a strong believer in videogame preservation, it's absolutely infuriating to see Nintendo go after rom sites, and then make every effort to prevent the consumer from playing those games legally. Thankfully I've already played both versions of FE1 so this isn't really a big deal for me, but they better not pull this **** with Mother 3...

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway I imagine no dataminers found anything of note in 9.0.1?

not that I was expecting anything anyway

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I forget, wasn't Shadow Dragon released on the Japanese NES Online? I wonder if they'll pull this **** with the original Shin Megami Tensei...

Though, there is an IOS version of the game available for NA, but still...
They seem to only do this with first party games. SMT is Atlus so it should be safe

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Weird question, but aside from being the end of Nintendo's fiscal year, is there anything going on March 31st? I noticed that all of these limited time things are ending then, but I can't tell if it's just a coincidence, or if something's going on.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Weird question, but aside from being the end of Nintendo's fiscal year, is there anything going on March 31st? I noticed that all of these limited time things are ending then, but I can't tell if it's just a coincidence, or if something's going on.
They haven’t announced anything else this far in advance so no, I guess it’s just the end of their fiscal year

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So now every game that is meant to be a celebration for an anniversary is going to be a limited time release?
Now I'm a bit upset because they most likely will do the same thing next year with Zelda and Metroid for their 25th anniversary. I can't accept a Metroid Prime Trilogy limited release... three games that deserve to be played by a wider audience because they're too good and because they need to sell well to revitalize the series can't be a limited time release
Yeah if they repeat the same thing with the Prime Trilogy I'll be legit pissed, I'm the first one who wants a Metroid release on the Switch and I'd love to have the Prime games on the console, but if they do the same **** with Metroid I'll be angry. As you said Metroid needs to sell well, doing the limited time offer with said trilogy would be very scummy if you ask me considering the circumstances of the series, which really needs to gain new fans and this practice doesn't seem the best way to attract interest and fans to your series...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I forget, wasn't Shadow Dragon released on the Japanese NES Online? I wonder if they'll pull this **** with the original Shin Megami Tensei...

Though, there is an IOS version of the game available for NA, but still...
I thought the IOS version no longer worked due to a bug in an update
It's so they get money and go "Wow look at how successful these games were"

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I fell bad for the MOTHER 3 fans who think that this will be a prefect segway on getting there games on there publicly

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure FE1 didn't have racist AND transmisogynist cast of characters combine into one

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Haha

you know... F-Zero’s 30th anniversary is this November

but the OG F-Zero is already on NSO free and permanently

so they’ll be spared this BS, right...?

RIGHT??!!!!!
F-Zero X plus the expansion kit, plus GX with an AX toggle, get a worldwide release...

...for two months, and after that you can only buy vanilla X and GX.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
F-Zero X plus the expansion kit, plus GX with an AX toggle, get a worldwide release...

...for two months, and after that you can only buy vanilla X and GX.
... at least I’d still have GX so...

Yes this is fine I’m totally ok with raging like hell to get the AX racers in Very Hard story mode

no. issues. whatsoever.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Haha

you know... F-Zero’s 30th anniversary is this November

but the OG F-Zero is already on NSO free and permanently

so they’ll be spared this BS, right...?

RIGHT??!!!!!
BS you say? That's right! For F-Zero's 30th anniversary, we'll be releasing, for the very first time, the BS F-Zero Grand Prix duology in the West!

Limited time, only until our fiscal year ends and we can leave this hellish year behind

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I fell bad for the MOTHER 3 fans who think that this will be a prefect segway on getting there games on there publicly

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure FE1 didn't have racist AND transmisogynist cast of characters combine into one
I doubt Nintendo considers that an issue when A: the whole localization would be brand new, potentially removing the latter elements, and B: Marth busts up human trafficers who also deal in selling sex slaves in FE1.

Also for what it's worth, Itoi's depictions seem to be a case of someone wanting to do good but ****ing up badly, though you're obviously allowed to dislike those elements nonetheless

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
One thing to note is that all of the limited time games are old (or in the case of Mario 35, based on an old game), and not even passed off as remade. I'm not a fan of this in the slightest, but at least they're not trying this for new releases.
YOU JUST JINXED IT BOTW2 IS NOW LIMITED RELEASE BABEY!

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
"Limited time only" stuff doesn't exactly bother me personally since I'm someone that, if he really wants a game, will buy it ASAP anyways, like I did with the 3D Mario collection. It's still BS that Nintendo does it though. \=

That said I've already played FE1's remake Shadow Dragon on DS, and found it kinda "eh", so I don't think I really want this particular game.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Nintendo is a company that can change in response to fans and have made a turnaround in the last five years away from some of its more dubious decisions.

But there are ones that realistically might take a generational/leadership shift to really change. The online still sucks, the handling of legacy content is lousy, and even configuration and preferred methods of play are still rare with too many of its releases. The company's success speaks for itself, but it still has some ways to go in moving from outdated ways of thinking in the gaming market.
I'll keep quoting a certain article here:

Online gaming emerged in the late 1990s on the PC and took off following the release of Xbox Live in 2002 and Steam in 2003. And within a few years, these suites had mostly been matched by the PlayStation Network, which launched in 2006. Since the mid-2010s, the biggest — and certainly the most lucrative games — have been based around online and predominantly multiplayer experiences. Many of these titles monetize mostly, if not exclusively, through online services.

For years, Nintendo openly resisted online services and downplayed their importance. It was years late in supporting basic online service features such as voice chat and friend lists and today it’s on its third online service, having shut down 2005’s Nintendo Wi-Fi connection in 2012 for the Nintendo Network, which was shut down in 2018 for Nintendo Switch Online. Most players will say this third service still lags the offerings of Sony and Microsoft a decade ago — and not just in feature set but also reliability.
The issues Nintendo's had with online is a main reason why I've come around to the idea that Nintendo as a organization staunchly supports the idea that "video games are toys, and experimentation's the way to go". While Nintendo may have considered the online infrastructure a diversion at best during the Wii era...

...Fact of the matter is, it's gotten to the point where online is nigh-essential for a major company to thrive in the industry. It's kind of telling when NSO is the third Nintendo network service in 13 years. Sure, Nintendo doesn't want to implement a lot of online stuff because loud voices within Nintendo fear that strangers talking to kids and other incidents will harm the online at large (which makes sense). It does miss the point though that nowadays people tend to use Discord and other stuff if they wanna talk in game. And often not the in-game voice chat where a stranger screams bloody murder and all kinds of curse words when (s)he dies in game.

The point about Discord is IMHO a big reason why Nintendo's mobile voice chat has not taken off as Nintendo hoped. Mobile voice chat makes sense given the Switch's portability... buuuut it's really undermined by Discord, Fortnite supporting native voice chat on the Switch itself and the fact that most people don't really play concentration-intensive multiplayer games when on the bus. It doesn't help that as you said they don't have much of a strategy re: configuration and preffered ways to play.

Introducing new ways to play can be amazing, but IMHO Nintendo should at this point have a fall back in case there's another failure. Especially since Nintendo only have a console line nowadays, not two. With that the back-catalogue becomes more important - and as such, I'd honestly argue that Nintendo should focus a lot on improving its online infrastructure and making sure the back-catalogue is more reguarily updated on NSO. Also, they should keep an online service going and not change it with every console.

While the article is IMHO too pessimistic regarding Nintendo's capabilities to change and adapt to the wider video game landscape, it's certainly worth a read.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"Limited time only" stuff doesn't exactly bother me personally since I'm someone that, if he really wants a game, will buy it ASAP anyways, like I did with the 3D Mario collection. It's still BS that Nintendo does it though. \=

That said I've already played FE1's remake Shadow Dragon on DS, and found it kinda "eh", so I don't think I really want this particular game.
Ok but this is graphically superior to Shadow Dragon, doesn't demand blood sacrifices of all the fodder units for sidequests and Marth becomes almost completely invincible, so that's worth something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom