• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'd share my wishlist, but since two of the characters are a Pokémon and a BotW Champion, I know a majority of the responses would range from "meh" to "terrible".

I think the only way a decent number of people would like my list is if the last two characters were big requests like Crash and/or Sora.
What are the other two characters?

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I'd share my wishlist, but since two of the characters are a Pokémon and a BotW Champion, I know a majority of the responses would range from "meh" to "terrible".

I think the only way a decent number of people would like my list is if the last two characters were big requests like Crash and/or Sora.
Maybe somewhere like /v/ or YouTube, but I think tLoZ is well-received here. Pokémon, on the other hand... I guess it depends on the 'mon.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What are the other two characters?
Probably BWD and a second Sonic character (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman).

Personally, I like a blend of characters from new and existing franchises. Since we've already gotten six new franchises through DLC, I'd like some of the existing franchises to get more characters. Most people prefer the opposite though, and since most of the third-parties I wanted are already in Smash, it's tough for me to find characters that would make both me and most of this thread excited.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Do it anyway. I still shared a list including a Poke Ball, an Assist Trophy, and only one third-party.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who the heck is Rytlok
My pick for a Guild Wars 2 character since he's one of the most persistent members of the party and the Pact Commander is too customizable to do justice with a single moveset.

This is what he looked like pre-Path of Fire:
1603337724782.png

EDIT: If he looks like a villain it's because the Charr were originally villains. Rytlock is a part of the supporting cast.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What are games that you don't want to see in Smash, but you do like? For me, there's Grim Fandango and Super Meat Boy. (Some music from the latter would be pretty cool though.)
As a big fan of Rockstar games like GTA and Red Dead, I am not really on board with a rep from any of there major series since its tough to think something that would be an interesting and creative move set. Hell Arthur Morgan is my second favorite video game character, but its tough to think something that would be an interesting moveset that would suit both the character and Smash, something I think a lot of western gaming characters face.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What are games that you don't want to see in Smash, but you do like? For me, there's Grim Fandango and Super Meat Boy. (Some music from the latter would be pretty cool though.)
For me it’d have to the ‘Splosion Man series. While a character whose entire gimmick is well... explosions sounds crazy on paper, I personally feel part of the charm would be lost in Smash.

The donut song from the game can totally be included though.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Contrarians want to feel special in my opinion.

"oh no, it's a character i don't care about, so im gonna call it boring because a lot of people like them!"

Most of the unexpected characters have always been my least favorites. Wii Fit Trainer in 4, Joker in FP1, R.O.B in Brawl (although i warmed up to him) and so on.

The most anticipated characters for me are the most obvious, Ridley, K.Rool, Mega Man, Little Mac. Those bring the hype to me. I guess there's also a "they were inevitable anyway" deal when it comes to characters i don't like. I didn't care for Duck Hunt in Smash 4, but the ESRB leak made me entertain the idea so i wasn't mad, as opposed to see PP for the first time and to this day is still my least favorite character reveal in Smash History. Hell, one of my least favorite gaming reveals as a whole.

Im boring, and im proud of it.

Wasn't Nester in Pilotwings if i remember correctly?

Also wasn't Pilotwings Restort with Miis? At least Mii Costume based on the Pilotwings outfit for those games would be nice.
Yeah, he was in Pilotwings 64 and called Lark. Pilotwings Resort did use Mii and Mii Pilotwings costumes would be a nice consolation prize if we don't get a Pilotwings fighter. Gotta admit I loved it when Little Mac debuted in Smash 4, seeing as Punch-Out! was a beloved series in the US. Heck, someone who I used to work with who loves video games thought he should have been there from the start. :)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This one might be a little controversial but I actually really love Pokémon and grew up as a Gen 2 Kid but none of the new Pokémon in SwSh really appeal to me at all, at least not the realistic choices, so I’m not big on a SwSh Pokémon making it in. I also feel like their chances this pass is a little bit overrated but you could probably chalk that opinion up to bias as well I guess.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Call of Duty.

Some of my fondest gaming memories comes from this series. It was a ton of fun for me growing up. I'm specifically fond of the Zombies game mode.

As for a character from this series getting into Smash, I'd rather not see it. Sure, Capt. Price, Soap, Mason, Woods, and Reznov are cool in the story mode, but I just feel like they wouldn't be fun to play as in Smash.

The only exception I'd make is for a Zombies character since they could use so many creative items. Lots of unique weapons and power ups.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
If i made my ideal pass, it would be:
❤ Arle/Amitie or Ringo (just anyone from Puyo Puyo)
❤ Pauline
❤ Calyrex or Cinderace (out of the most likely choices, cause i love Galar)
❤ Bandana Waddle Dee (my go to Kirby character since his debut)

Bonus: Fire Emblem Heroes rep, i would pick Sharena or Kiran, but even if they picked Alfonse, i would be happy, i love this game)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I will never get over how people praise fan polls for showing that their favourites are popular and ones they don't like aren't but as soon as people outside the Smash Bubble vote on them and prove that typically unheard voices can drastically change the results, it's claimed that the poll is botted or raided, especially as polls are supposed to be raided to begin with.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Awww why not Grim Fandango? I think Manny fighting with flower guns, retractable scythes and balloons shaped like Robert Frost would be hilarious.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
If i made my ideal pass, it would be:
❤ Arle/Amitie or Ringo (just anyone from Puyo Puyo)
❤ Pauline
❤ Calyrex or Cinderace (out of the most likely choices, cause i love Galar)
❤ Bandana Waddle Dee (my go to Kirby character since his debut)

Bonus: Fire Emblem Heroes rep, i would pick Sharena or Kiran, but even if they picked Alfonse, i would be happy, i love this game)
I'd rather see a regular Waddle Dee than a BWD and I think Kiran would be pretty funny. The rest is alright.
Rate the four remaining characters in this pass

1. Crash
2. Dante
3. Master Chief
4. Reimu
alright/10 No opinion on Reimu. The other 3 I like, but together they taste kind of bland.
Awww why not Grim Fandango? I think Manny fighting with flower guns, retractable scythes and balloons shaped like Robert Frost would be hilarious.
Now that you mention it, the Robert Frost balloon would be pretty funny. Anyways, I thought Manny would have an awkward transition into the world of Smash since he'd be coming from a Point-and-Click. I didn't think he'd have too many things to base a moveset off of either (other than his scythe, of course) since he doesn't engage in actual combat very often throughout the game. Actually, I thought of having the Land of the Dead as a stage with it being one of those traveling stages like Castle Siege.
I will never get over how people praise fan polls for showing that their favourites are popular and ones they don't like aren't but as soon as people outside the Smash Bubble vote on them and prove that typically unheard voices can drastically change the results, it's claimed that the poll is botted or raided, especially as polls are supposed to be raided to begin with.
After I saw this video, I just assumed that all Smash polls were rigged regardless.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
"If you remove the top 17 results because they don't count, then you can actually see that my most wanted is the most popular choice. It would be a slap in the face if Sakurai didn't add them now."

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Rate this pass:
78:Ryu Hayabusa.
79:Crash Bandicoot.
80Phoenix Wright.
81:Rex and Pyra.
I like it! Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa and Phoenix Wright are good picks.

Bloody hell, it just dawned on me that the Grinch Leak is now two years old. Does anyone else remember when the fandom was more divided, ever? I'm happy we haven't had another similar situation since then.
What are you talking about? We have the Cacomallow leak! No one has been able to prove it wrong yet. /s

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My current prediction still hasn't changed.

78: Ryu Hayabusa
79: Cinderace
80: Master Chief
81: Rex

My wishlist.

78: Crash Bandicoot
79: Amaterasu/Phoenix Wright
80: 2B
81: Elma
I think, at this exact moment, given all information, my wish list would be:

• Lara Croft
  • Crash
  • Scorpion
  • Frogger

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's human nature.

Uncomfortable information activates the same sections of the brain as actually getting threatened does.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Now this most likely won't matter at all for Ultimate, but Devolver Digital has acquired Croteam.

Like I said, this probably means nothing for Ultimate, but it might mean something for the far future when potential third party involvement is discussed for a future installment of Smash Bros.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I mean, you'd think we'd hear about them more often in that case.

Having a poll receive votes from a very specific fandom because it was shared in a very specific subreddit to begin with hardly proves anything about how people outside the "SmAsH BuBble" think.

Doesn't make the votes any less valid, but saying that this is somehow the "silent majority" makes no sense.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Please tell me you're just cringing at a joke and not actually thinking event spirits have a chance to be fighters.
Personally, I feel they absolutely have a shot. But then again, I dont consider much off limits, and am thusly not surprised when the community is overall wrong fighter after fighter.

But additionally, it's surely not a confirmation that they aren't an option. Regardless of if you feel that way, it's not a fact.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
TF2 Has been shattering Fan Polls recently

Is it possible it's due to Botting, or also as likely (or even more), Is there an unknown Audience in the Smash fanbase that would like to see TF2 in Smash?

Or even People that may not care about Smash that still be interested in Smash if TF2 got in, an untapped audience with actual Crossover?
I think it's somewhere in-between. I've heard that TF2 fans are trying really hard to get Valve to remember their game exists (I remember hearing something about them trying to get the Youtube channel to 100m subscribers so Valve gets a play button). They see a Smash poll and think " If TF2 dominates this pill, Valve will see how popular it still is and give it an update"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, you'd think we'd hear about them more often in that case.

Having a poll receive votes from a very specific fandom because it was shared in a very specific subreddit to begin with hardly proves anything about how people outside the "SmAsH BuBble" think.

Doesn't make the votes any less valid, but saying that this is somehow the "silent majority" makes no sense.
It's less of a silent majority wanting a certain character, but that the silent majority typically doesn't get involved with the core fandom throwing around polls. The people voting Heavy because they're on the TF2 server aren't doing it just because they like Heavy, they're doing it because they like Smash

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's less of a silent majority wanting a certain character, but that the silent majority typically doesn't get involved with the core fandom throwing around polls. The people voting Heavy because they're on the TF2 server aren't doing it just because they like Heavy, they're doing it because they like Smash
I mean... yeah? I don't see how that invalidates any of what I said.

It's still a thing because it was shared in a very specific place - a bubble of its own, if you will. Which ironically enough is what people often say is a good reason to not trust fan polls. So I don't think this should be considered a "Smash bubble vs. silent majority" thing whatsoever.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock & Far Cry. All fantastic game series that have some of my favorite games ever in them, but I don’t think they’d produce interesting movesets. I’d be down for Mii costumes, spirits or stages though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom