• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Europe: ??? They either seem to be into the same games as Americans or strategy/weird PC games that won’t work in Smash. If there’s a front runner for Europe, I’d like to know that’d be interesting info
In addition to what SKX31 SKX31 said on the prominence of PC gaming because of the lack of the older consoles (NES, etc.), and because the question was more focused on characters popular in Europe, here's some polls that were made on "jeuxvideo.com", the biggest french website about video games.

The one made in september 2018, before the last big presentation video. (image)

The one made in november 2018, after the last big presentation video revealing Incineroar, Ken, or Isaac as an AT. (image)

You'll see France is pretty similar to the US (or general western) audience. However, there are a few specificities:
  • Rayman is pretty big. That's only natural in his home country.
  • Isaac is stronger than in the US.
  • Geno is weaker than in the US. No wonder since his game was never released in Europe (before the Wii U virtual console).
These polls occured at the time of the launch. Polls that went on english boards at the time were quite similar in regards of the absence of big third parties that are discussed today or that actually happened as DLC (Hero, Steve, Doom, Ruy Hayabusa, Dante, etc.). I have no idea what a similar poll would do now that the gates went wide open.

If someone has data for other european countries, I'm interested.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We all know Sakurai is a gamer and enjoys playing all forms of it. I think the clocks are nothing more but a reference to Crash 4 which he's likely played and nothing more. Doesn't mean Crash still can't get in mind you because he can but I wouldn't look deep into it.

Him being a gamer is why he tends to make those Tweets referencing games like the whole Marth and Pikachu with Arle and her pet, and such.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Current Predictions:
King Boo
Euden
Hayabusa
Crash and Coco as Echoes of each other.
Someone new can replace one of these four (please replace Hayabusa I R E A L L Y don't want him in.)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Did somebody leak Ryu Hayabusa?
In a way yes.

Vergeben has been redeemed given Steve's conformance in the game regarding Minecraft content, also factoring in the whole 5 years of negotiations to get him in.

Back in 2018 he said something about Ryu Hayabusa being in so he's been brought back onto the table regarding speculation.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
(please replace Hayabusa I R E A L L Y don't want him in.)
Replace King Boo instead since Smash already promoted LM3 by introducing us to the new Poltergust. Yes, Smash already had some form of ARMS content before Min Min, but I think showing off the abilities, name, and appearance of the Poltergust G-00 first is a bigger deal than what ARMS had in the base game.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Run from it. Dread from it.

Ryu Hayabusa is the "Erdrick" of FP2. :p
The only reason we knew about Hero was because it was leaked by Nintendo themselves, Even then Erdrick wasn't the default but that is nitpicking. All the evidence we have with Hayabusa is, Some leaker said that Koei was talking with Nintendo which may or may not have been related to Smash, even then the talks could have been about Byleth. There is also the heavily circumstantial evidence of "Nintendo and Koei are really friendly" while that is true Nintendo doesn't owe Koei ****. Hayabusa does have a very good chance, but he is not "confirmed" just yet like with Hero or Terry

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only reason we knew about Hero was because it was leaked by Nintendo themselves, Even then Erdrick wasn't the default but that is nitpicking. All the evidence we have with Hayabusa is, Some leaker said that Koei was talking with Nintendo which may or may not have been related to Smash, even then the talks could have been about Byleth. There is also the heavily circumstantial evidence of "Nintendo and Koei are really friendly" while that is true Nintendo doesn't owe Koei ****. Hayabusa does have a very good chance, but he is not "confirmed" just yet like with Hero or Terry
Except he has Vergeben's backing since Steve has gotten in given the 5 years of negotiations and "Minecraft content".
There was also IAmShifty's source who said Ryu Hayabusa was getting in.
What things was IAmShifty spot-on about again? I don't remember.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Giving my 2 cents on the "Steve was treated as a joke before he was revealed, "... while I can't deny that a lot of people were against his inclusion for one reason or another, I also remember every time someone made a really bad argument against him, like saying "Kids who play Minecraft don't know who he is/He is not a marketable character" or "He would stick out like a sore tomb amongst the other characters of the roster"(and while your mileage may vary on the value of this criticism now that he actually is in Ultimate, the point that this wasn't enough to prevent his inclusion still stands) many users that may not have even cared for him still made an effort to counter them.

And like Shroob said, the reason why he wasn't talked about that much this year was mainly that everyone was dubious of another Microsoft rep getting in after Banjo (and by the way, this was also a major counterpoint even before Banjo was revealed, alongside the fact that we still didn't know if a character owned by a Western company could even get in) and the fact that some people in the know said that the "Minecraft content" rumor from Verge was misinformation spread by one of his bad sources.

Can I deny completely that a lot of these counterarguments were made in bad faith and enlarged by people biased against Steve? No, but let's not pretend he is not the only character that was/is affected by this, in fact, this may be one of the most recurring aspects of Smash speculation.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Replace King Boo instead since Smash already promoted LM3 by introducing us to the new Poltergust. Yes, Smash already had some form of ARMS content before Min Min, but I think showing off the abilities, name, and appearance of the Poltergust G-00 first is a bigger deal than what ARMS had in the base game.
I literally said earlier that I don't want another NES Character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Except he has Vergeben's backing since Steve has gotten in given the 5 years of negotiations and "Minecraft content".
Didn't he also say that the Ender Dragon was a boss fight? and also the "List" before fighter 5. Just because a "Leaker" got one thing right does not mean they get all the right information.

Also Minecraft being talked about for 5 years =/= Steve was confirmed and in his current iteration for 5 years.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also Minecraft being talked about for 5 years =/= Steve was confirmed and in his current iteration for 5 years.
Maybe not, but given that they took 11 months to make this fighter, they wouldn't have time to do so during Smash 4's DLC or FP1, and Steve was excluded from the base game which had a limited newcomer budget, it's easy to assume this is what Sakurai wanted even in 2015.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Didn't he also say that the Ender Dragon was a boss fight? and also the "List" before fighter 5. Just because a "Leaker" got one thing right does not mean they get all the right information.

Touche although we should keep IAmShifty in mind too who predicted Piranha Plant who is saying he will be in too. Plus it's possible too he misinterpreted the Ender Dragons boss fight as its spirit battle.

Also as for Nintendo not owing Koei anything, last I check aren't they helping them make Smash as a producer or whatever being in the credits?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Also as for Nintendo not owing Koei anything, last I check aren't they helping them make Smash as a producer or whatever being in the credits?
Just because they help develop the game it does not mean they are guaranteed a new fighter, It's a similar situation to Bamco. That's what that was basically saying.

I do still think that Koei has a better chance than a lot of characters but they are not guaranteed.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Alright I'm going to talk seriously about Cortez for a moment here, I do have a few interesting tid bits of information to share that correlate with Fighter Pass 2, Keep in mind that this is entirely speculative, it may all be coincidence and I'm not saying Cortez is incredibly likely because of this. Smash Bros is pretty much a last resort grasp at straws reach if nothing leads to a new TimeSplitters game.

First off, I will talk about these articles.

In August of 2018, THQ Nordic acquires the TimeSplitters franchise. Too late for Fighter Pass 1 though, that much is obvious but not too late for Fighter Pass 2.
In exactly 1 year in August 2019, THQ Nordic hires TimeSplitters Co-Creator Steve Ellis to "help plot the future course for the franchise". Interesting choice of words as that doesn't directly point to a game being made. Sakurai normally gathers input from series creators for when he gets his team to design smash characters.

Then there is also the tweet that Steve Ellis made himself.
He explains what will happen if you read this tweet too frequently. However, he never said don't read way too deep into it so I will do just that. His choice of words are very strange. No news just yet? Watch this space? August 2020 has come and passed with nothing new to note during the prime of Fighter Pass 2. Complete and utter radio silence on the front. What could he be doing with TimeSplitters? Only time will tell.

Some minor things here to include is the Smash 2 poll.
Smash 2 poll.png
While this does not mention Sgt. Cortez specifically mostly because Cortez wasn't even conceived at this point in time, it does mention James Bond from the Goldeneye 007 video game which was made by Rare. Some employees from Rare disbanded in 1999 to form the now defunct company, Free Radical design who made the TimeSplitters series. Keep in mind that James Bond is the last character on this list who is currently not represented in Smash Bros in any form. Yes the proximity mine exists but since Brawl, it has lost all of it's former identity as a Goldeneye weapon and is now considered a Smash original item. It is impossible for James Bond to be in Smash while Joanna Dark has been beaten by Banjo & Kazooie and Steve for a Microsoft rep. Even if another Microsoft rep is on the table, it will most likely be Master Chief. Since TimeSplitters is the spiritual successor to both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Cortez can take the reins as the undisputed Goldeneye 007 stand in and become the "heir apparent to Goldeneye", as was said by Electronic Gaming Monthly on the American cover art of TimeSplitters 2. However this is assuming that Nintendo even pays attention to this list as it's more than two decades old.
...but we have been getting lots of Fire Emblem and Pokemon characters since Smash 4 and we did get Banjo & Kazooie so who's to say they aren't paying attention to this list? /s

Lastly there is also the fact that TimeSplitters 2 was released in Japan on the PS2 under the name TimeSplitter: Invaders of history so Cortez has got Japan covered there. Just don't ask me about sales figures.
timesplitters_2_frontcover_large_MBFfJ12ndCFfDHf.jpg
So that is pretty much where I stand with Sgt. Cortez in Smash. Again this is nothing to write home about but it explains why I'm driven to believe in Cortez for Fighter Pass 2. I don't just use him as my "funny haha meme dude says Time to Split". It's also got a bit of deluded insanity to it. Who knows? Maybe I do have Time Travelling capabilities and Cortez is on his way as we speak.

But really, all I am trying to say is that it's...
Time to Split compressed.gif

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bandai-Namco literally makes the game and they still only have one fighter.

I wouldn't consider DLC characters as a way for Nintendo to pay their debts to other companies at this point.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright I'm going to talk seriously about Cortez for a moment here, I do have a few interesting tid bits of information to share that correlate with Fighter Pass 2, Keep in mind that this is entirely speculative, it may all be coincidence and I'm not saying Cortez is incredibly likely because of this. Smash Bros is pretty much a last resort grasp at straws reach if nothing leads to a new TimeSplitters game.

In August of 2018, THQ Nordic acquires the TimeSplitters franchise. Too late for Fighter Pass 1 though, that much is obvious but not too late for Fighter Pass 2.
In exactly 1 year in August 2019, THQ Nordic hires TimeSplitters Co-Creator Steve Ellis to "help plot the future course for the franchise". Interesting choice of words as that doesn't directly point to a game being made. Sakurai normally gathers input from series creators for when he gets his team to design smash characters.

He explains what will happen if you read this tweet too frequently. However, he never said don't read way too deep into it so I will do just that. His choice of words are very strange. No news just yet? Watch this space? August 2020 has come and passed with nothing new to note during the prime of Fighter Pass 2. Complete and utter radio silence on the front. What could he be doing with TimeSplitters? Only time will tell.

While this does not mention Sgt. Cortez specifically mostly because Cortez wasn't even conceived at this point in time, it does mention James Bond from the Goldeneye 007 video game which was made by Rare. Some employees from Rare disbanded in 1999 to form the now defunct company, Free Radical design who made the TimeSplitters series. Keep in mind that James Bond is the last character on this list who is currently not represented in Smash Bros in any form. Yes the proximity mine exists but since Brawl, it has lost all of it's former identity as a Goldeneye weapon and is now considered a Smash original item. It is impossible for James Bond to be in Smash while Joanna Dark has been beaten by Banjo & Kazooie and Steve for a Microsoft rep. Even if another Microsoft rep is on the table, it will most likely be Master Chief. Since TimeSplitters is the spiritual successor to both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Cortez can take the reins as the undisputed Goldeneye 007 stand in and become the "heir apparent to Goldeneye", as was said by Electronic Gaming Monthly on the American cover art of TimeSplitters 2. However this is assuming that Nintendo even pays attention to this list as it's more than two decades old.
...but we have been getting lots of Fire Emblem and Pokemon characters since Smash 4 and we did get Banjo & Kazooie so who's to say they aren't paying attention to this list? /s

Lastly there is also the fact that TimeSplitters 2 was released in Japan on the PS2 under the name TimeSplitter: Invaders of history so Cortez has got Japan covered there. Just don't ask me about sales figures.
So that is pretty much where I stand with Sgt. Cortez in Smash. Again this is nothing to write home about but it explains why I'm driven to believe in Cortez for Fighter Pass 2. I don't just use him as my "funny haha meme dude says Time to Split". It's also got a bit of deluded insanity to it. Who knows? Maybe I do have Time Travelling capabilities and Cortez is on his way as we speak.

View attachment 289601
Weird question, but is there a Sergeant Cortez support thread? If not, you should definetly start one, given just how passionate you are.

Who knows. Maybe you could start something big... unless you prefer the memes, of course. Don't worry, I won't judge

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Dropping in on the Steve discussion while it's still lukewarm.

Part of the anti-Steve gang here, now the 'minority.' Been around long enough to see the consensus gradually shift from 'eww, Minecraft' to 'Steve for Smash!' 'Course there were always supporters, but they were the minority once upon a time, and just like with most non-Fire Emblem characters, the few people who were still against Steve when he got in have suddenly changed their tune to "haha I always wanted funny block man in Smash of course!" to fit in with the crowd while only hardasses like me will stick to my guns despite getting jumped by a mob for it.

Anyway, I digress. What do I think of Steve now that he's had time to settle in? Still the stupidest thing I've ever laid eyes on in Smash, some might call sticking out like a sore thumb and having stiff animations 'charming,' I call it lazy and ugly. "But Mr. Game & Watch!" people cry, but G&W comes from a time when that was the best animation could get, Minecraft comes from a time where it stuck out like a sore thumb for being what it is, this is a core problem with Minecraft itself, not Smash. Though even ignoring that, the least Smash could've done was clean Steve up a bit to match his own promotional renders, his spirit looks more like a Smash render than his Smash render.

So he sticks out and is an eyesore to look at, at least he's got a good moveset, right? Well sorry to continue to be the downer but I'm also probably the only guy that's kinda sick of wacky movesets for the sake of it and doesn't mind the simpler ones. Sakurai just seems to keep trying to one up himself with complexity in what was originally meant to be a very simple control scheme, and Steve is so complex it feels like a parody of complex Smash movesets. One positive I'll give is that, at its core, his standard moves are fun to use, which isn't much to say when 99% of the roster is fun on a basic level, but once you dig into the meat of it, everything starts falling apart. I'm sure the galaxy brain Pac-Man mains will find something to love in Steve, but the needless complexity flies in the face of the core demographic of Minecraft.

Now before the mob chases me out, I'll close with this. My love of Banjo has little to do with my distaste for Minecraft, as most would think. "Competition" for a spot in Smash is such a petty thing, and while part of it can be attributed to 'Grotesque' Steve trolls always putting down Banjo, my distaste didn't stop when Banjo got in. It's still an ugly game with a terrible fanbase and now it's harder to ignore it because it's in Smash. Congrats and all to the people who like this, don't let little old me get you down, just offering perspective from the other side before we become extinct.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
TBH, I wouldn't use this site as any gauge for what the general consensus is on characters due to how much echo chambering goes on here. Heck, I wouldn't use any site as a general consensus: Smash fans are infamous for hating everything that isn't considered "worthy" or isn't a most wanted pick of the individual. Honestly, we're one of the most closed-minded fanbases I've ever seen, and that's saying something when you look at other fanbases that are out there.

As for Steve himself, as Shroob said: It basically boiled down to some Banjo fans felt threatened by him, so they lashed out and threw accusations of "ugly", "Not influential", or "Not historical enough to gaming". After Banjo, people just forgot about Steve because there was a narrative pushed by some that Banjo "won" and Steve "lost", and then everyone started pushing Master Chief as the next "obvious rep" because again, 'Ew, cringe Minecraft kids game" was a heavy presence in the Smash community, especially here.
That's what we call bandwagoning. And that's why I laughed at idea of Master Chief being Mii costume. I can't believe people underestimate Halo that much. Hell, with such mindset, Crash can also be Mii.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 289601
Loved that game on the Gamecube. Wonderful writing, lots of care put into it. Played the crap out of the multiplayer.

It's a long shot, to be sure, but take solace that you're not the only one who would be hyped if it happened.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Touche although we should keep IAmShifty in mind too who predicted Piranha Plant who is saying he will be in too. Plus it's possible too he misinterpreted the Ender Dragons boss fight as its spirit battle.

Rathalos is called EndDragon in the game's files. Verge could have mistaken Rathalos for the Ender Dragon.

SKX31

Smash Master
TBH, I wouldn't use this site as any gauge for what the general consensus is on characters due to how much echo chambering goes on here. Heck, I wouldn't use any site as a general consensus: Smash fans are infamous for hating everything that isn't considered "worthy" or isn't a most wanted pick of the individual. Honestly, we're one of the most closed-minded fanbases I've ever seen, and that's saying something when you look at other fanbases that are out there.

As for Steve himself, as Shroob said: It basically boiled down to some Banjo fans felt threatened by him, so they lashed out and threw accusations of "ugly", "Not influential", or "Not historical enough to gaming". After Banjo, people just forgot about Steve because there was a narrative pushed by some that Banjo "won" and Steve "lost", and then everyone started pushing Master Chief as the next "obvious rep" because again, 'Ew, cringe Minecraft kids game" was a heavy presence in the Smash community, especially here.
And now Banjo-Kazooie players and Steve players can endlessly argue over the most important things:

A) Who wins the matchup between the two.
B) Who places higher on the tier lists.
And C) Who is the better FFA character.

The ride never ends.

:4pacman:

No, I wouldn't use this site as the general consensus. One's better off using a multitude of sources and cross-reference because it gives more of a glimpse into what the general audience thinks and one can gauge how reactions differ between people who are casually enjoying the game, more competitively minded people, those in between / those who prioritize something else with Smash etc. Hell, I'm pretty sure that most people who bought FP1 / FP2 (or the individual characters) did not even know of the B-K / Steve feud.

Rathalos is called EndDragon in the game's files. Verge could have mistaken Rathalos for the Ender Dragon.
Besides what cashregister9 cashregister9 said, if Vergeben knew about the files he'd most likely be shooting down the Grinch theory left and right and pushing Keninceroar. Not to mention, he'd also hint at Plant most likely.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And now Banjo-Kazooie players and Steve players can endlessly argue over the most important things:

A) Who wins the matchup between the two.
B) Who places higher on the tier lists.
And C) Who is the better FFA character.

The ride never ends.

:4pacman:

No, I wouldn't use this site as the general consensus. One's better off using a multitude of sources and cross-reference because it gives more of a glimpse into what the general audience thinks and one can gauge how reactions differ between people who are casually enjoying the game, more competitively minded people, those in between / those who prioritize something else with Smash etc. Hell, I'm pretty sure that most people who bought FP1 / FP2 (or the individual characters) did not even know of the B-K / Steve feud.

Besides what cashregister9 cashregister9 said, if Vergeben knew about the files he'd most likely be shooting down the Grinch theory left and right and pushing Keninceroar. Not to mention, he'd also hint at Plant most likely.
He struck down Isaac, one of the characters implicated in the Grinch Leak. Oh, and I think that he wanted to keep Plant a surprise.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well sorry to continue to be the downer but I'm also probably the only guy that's kinda sick of wacky movesets for the sake of it and doesn't mind the simpler ones. Sakurai just seems to keep trying to one up himself with complexity in what was originally meant to be a very simple control scheme, and Steve is so complex it feels like a parody of complex Smash movesets
Given when our next fighter would finish development so Steve doesn't overshadow them, it's not looking good for people who want a simpler moveset, unless those resources are dedicated to more complex animations(See: Having to animate both Banjo and Kazooie for their challenger pack) or an AT-disabling script.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
He struck down Isaac, one of the characters implicated in the Grinch Leak. Oh, and I think that he wanted to keep Plant a surprise.
He was also adamant about Kencineroar so of course he would strike down other characters that would challenge that. But here are a list of things he could have leaked that would have been more interesting if he actually had access to the files. and not just interesting but it would also help his credibility.
-Spirits
-Joker
-Hero
-Plant
-WoL
-The Rest of the boss fights

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Keep in mind with Smash, there are factors other than the actual development work involved that affect release dates. Character reveals are very often timed for very deliberate reasons, so if we got a character in January/February, it might very not be due to a complex moveset needing the time, but because in Nintendo's eyes such a period is advantageous for putting out the character. Fighter 8 could be done by December hypothetically, but they might conclude they want the focus of attention & customer purchases on actual games for the holiday.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Current Predictions:
King Boo
Euden
Hayabusa
Crash and Coco as Echoes of each other.
Someone new can replace one of these four (please replace Hayabusa I R E A L L Y don't want him in.)
I literally said earlier that I don't want another NES Character.
I’m genuinely curious why the console of origin is relevant to your distastes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Keep in mind with Smash, there are factors other than the actual development work involved that affect release dates. Character reveals are very often timed for very deliberate reasons, so if we got a character in January/February, it might very not be due to a complex moveset needing the time, but because in Nintendo's eyes such a period is advantageous for putting out the character. Fighter 8 could be done by December hypothetically, but they might conclude they want the focus of attention & customer purchases on actual games for the holiday.
Well yes, as I said, I do think they'd want to make sure Steve doesn't overshadow CP8. I'd also think an AT disabling script wouldn't be as complex as all of Steve's mechanics and what the devs needed to do with each stage to make sure they work right.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's also the fact that Steve seemed pretty much done in Sakurai's presentation (which was filmed in August, I think?), meaning CP8's development could be in a relatively advanced stage - yet they must have felt it was better to delay him slightly due to Nintendo's calendar and to coincide with Minecon.

It's why I think we could see a tease for CP8 by December, even if they'll only release in 2021.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I, just want more newer characters in Smash. That and Hayabusa just feels, generic, to me. I would much prefer Styder as a Ninja or Kasumi for Koei.
Ryu Hayabusa debuted in October 1988 and Strider debuted in a video game March 1989, so I'm kind of calling bull**** on the "new characters" line of reasoning. Just say he's generic and you prefer others instead of bringing up Strider.

Also fun fact I didn't know until I looked this up, Strider actually originally debuted in May 1988 in a manga before Hayabusa, so I wonder if he's even eligible as a non video game originating character...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom