• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I feel like you bring up Byleth way more frequently than anyone else these days. Usually to talk about how often we talk about them.

I personally don't think we've talked that much about Byleth recently. They're mentioned, sure, but they're not really the centre of conversation like they used to be. You weren't here when that was happening.

The reason they aren't that impactful to the game is because we've already had a lot of content from that series, and it's not like they were some longtime fan request. And, 3H is, all things considered, rather small potatoes compared to someone hailing from an entirely new, potentially big, third-party series. They're only impactful to our conversations because they're contentious.
I admit a large part of it is my fault. I just find it funny when people freak out over pixels getting in pixels.

I think I need to bring new material.
Oh definitely. Min Min actually did get a net positive because she wasn't Spring Man even though she should have been. But a lot of people didn't really care enough to strongly take any position to who the pick was.
I disagree that Spring Man should have gotten in over Min Min. I think Min Min is a lot more epic compared to Spring Man.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I disagree that Spring Man should have gotten in over Min Min. I think Min Min is a lot more epic compared to Spring Man.
She may be less orthodox than Spring Man, but Spring Man is the mascot. Adding her over Spring Man is like adding Chun-Li over Ryu. Or Mewtwo over Pikachu. Or Peach over Mario. You just shouldn't do it imo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like the thing that's a bit sus is that Pokemon is "Soon" but Smash is "Imminent".

Maybe I'm just projecting here, but to me, imminent would imply at the very least sometime this week, probably sooner than later, no pun intended.
I would agree that the window for "imminent" wouldn't extend much further than the coming week.

The window for soon does, though.
I mean, to some companies, "soon" means within like three years.

I admit a large part of it is my fault. I just find it funny when people freak out over pixels getting in pixels.

I think I need to bring new material.
Yeah but you're not doing much besides instigating it further when you continue to raise it after people have pretty much stopped doing that.

D

Deleted member

She may be less orthodox than Spring Man, but Spring Man is the mascot. Adding her over Spring Man is like adding Chun-Li over Ryu. Or Mewtwo over Pikachu. Or Peach over Mario. You just shouldn't do it imo.
To be fair, other fighting games have done this before.
1601253219219.png

Sure, Spring Man is the mascot, but Min Min is just so much more awesome.
Yeah but you're not doing much besides instigating it further when you continue to raise it after people have pretty much stopped doing that.
I know. I said I need to bring in better material.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Ehhh Chun Li over Ryu would still be a viable option tbh

I'd even argue she's as iconic as Ryu if not even moreso.

You don't just get a Nicki Minaj song in your honor out of nowhere

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

No. Stop.
I think you have to learn that not all games have a protagonist. Games aren't that simple at times.

I would say ARMS is an example of that. Hell, they even made us guess which ARMS character it would be in a list.

If it was Spring Man, they probably wouldn't mention that list.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think you have to learn that not all games have a protagonist.
I'm not saying that they do. Why is this the counterargument?

All I'm saying is, for properly representing a series in Super Smash Bros., there's a pecking order to uphold, and in my opinion, ARMS has violated that pecking order.

D

Deleted member

All I'm saying is, for properly representing a series in Super Smash Bros., there's a pecking order to uphold, and in my opinion, ARMS has violated that pecking order.
Smash is a celebration of gaming, but not the mascot always has to get in first.

For example, Sans got in before Frisk, but Frisk is the protagonist of the game.

There is a huge difference between Mario and Wario, versus Spring Man and Min Min.

I feel like ARMs is more about a community rather than a select few heroes.

I think Min Min's placement is very nice. I am glad she is CP6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
muh representation

Smash is a celebration of gaming, but not the mascot always has to get in first.

For example, Sans got in before Frisk, but Frisk is the protagonist of the game.

There is a huge difference between Mario and Wario, versus Spring Man and Min Min.

I feel like ARMs is more about a community rather than a select few heroes.

I think Min Min's placement is very nice. I am glad she is CP6.
Okay unrelated but I just did a doubletake hearing this come from you of all people, rofl.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd imagine their usefulness is pretty heavily affected on WiFi. For example, if LAN tournaments were the norm, Byleth's tactics wouldn't fly as far due to his slow speed. Min Min might be fine though, losing a bit more unreactibility for more precision and complicated antics.

Oh definitely. Min Min actually did get a net positive because she wasn't Spring Man even though she should have been. But a lot of people didn't really care enough to strongly take any position to who the pick was.
We do have a LAN game (okay, just a game, but still enough for a clickbait thumbnail):

I do agree to quite a large extent that Byleth's strengths wouldn't be taken as far at LAN as online. Byleth's playstyle does fit MKLeo though, and highlights one of his greatest strengths: he's absurdly good at reading the opponent. It's notiiceable when MKLeo played Hungrybox a month ago online and destroyed H-Box's Puff with a hard-read Up-B -> Up Air.

But Byleth relies on the player having a good grip on said opponent. So if anything, Byleth to me feels like a "counterpick" character at LAN tournaments.

Min Min, yeah I do agree mostly there, and because her ARMS are still long enough to invalidate or frustrate what feels like half the cast. Her biggest problem at a LAN setting is going to be that the loss of unreactability might be large enough to the point opponents can close in more often, and I'm not sure the precision and complicated antics is going to entirely compensate that.

No offense, but is having a Nicki Minaj song dedicated to you a particularly high honor? Chun-Li has other notable traits, y'know.
High honor or not, it does show that the character has managed to gain a place within the general popular conciousness. And that's major in itself to some degree.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That'd be correct.

However, it seems like Nintendo's sending out press kit info about a day~ early. Imran leaked MinMin and Hyrule Warriors BOTW about a day early, and ResetERA leakers/Emily Rogers did the same for the Mario collection.

Zhunge leaked Monster Hunter Rise a day early, though Shinobi teased it much earlier than that.
Ah, there we go.

Makes sense to give it a slight benefit of the doubt due to current situations.

...Yeah, I got nothing more to say now than being redundant at this point.

Either way, if it is tomorrow, that'll be sweet. Despite me working.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is the second time in a row where Sakurai showed an interest in adding someone besides the closest fit for a "main character". The first was when Nintendo wanted a 3H character and they made Sakurai add Byleth instead of whoever else he wanted. The second is when he skipped right over Spring Man and Ribbon Girl and went to Ninjara and Min Min instead.

At this point, I think Sakurai is showing signs of being tired of choosing the character who "makes sense" at the expense of choosing someone who he considers to be more unique or a better fit.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They likely didn't really do as much for the masses than the 3rd party characters. It's really just Super Smash Bros. fans that blew up and are still angry at him.

Min Min got a resounding "meh" from pretty much everyone.
I don't think it's fair to say Min-Min got a "meh" from most people. I'm not crazy about her but I enjoyed her addition.
What I agree with is that she's not really a pick able sustain the hype or sell a lot of Passes. Not like she should be responsible for that, because it's likely that without COVID FP7 would be released by now, or at least, close to it's release, and I imagine that FP7 was intended to fulfill that role.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong and FP7 ends being Bubsy lol

D

Deleted member

Well, I know you didn't mean anything bad by it, but

"Muh representation" is a phrase kinda used by assholes to disparage including non-white folk or lgbt in media because they feel it to be 'forced'.
Yikes, my apologies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

There was never a main protagonist in ARMS. The closest is one via a backstory with Max Brass, the first tournament winner, but that's it. He's not even playable in that mode, intentionally, making him an antagonist by that point. All the protagonists are interchangeable in importance for the purposes of that mode. Nobody gets clear top billing.

Spring Man(and somewhat less with Ribbon Girl) is the actual mascot, but not the main protagonist. You could argue they're meant to be main characters, but honestly, the story doesn't support any particular character being a "main one" much at all. It's just a tournament mode with anybody working. There's no manual stating who actually is supposed to be win the second ARMS tournament. The graphic novel, which could easily be non-canon, is its own thing and the only material to make Spring Man an actual protagonist specifically. Not just "anybody works".

Sakurai explained it pretty well. Sure, it's a slight cop-out to avoid using the mascot and all. But the developers have a clear story of how the game works, and if they say anybody can be the protagonist, that's literally Word of God speaking. I don't like it either, and I think it's a terrible reasoning to avoid using a main character(which Min Min isn't even in that role, or could be, at this point) as is, but in the end, we got a legitimate protagonist of the series.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No, but it should be the most important character to the series.

For The Legend of Zelda, that's Link because he's the protagonist.
For Pokémon, that's Pikachu because he's the mascot.
For Super Mario, that's Mario because he's both.
For ARMS, that's Spring Man because he's the mascot.

Sans is also such a breakout hit of a character that he practically made himself the game's mascot. Considering that and his large role in the game, his inclusion over Frisk is fine, though Frisk certainly has advantages over him as well.

Well, I know you didn't mean anything bad by it, but

"Muh representation" is a phrase kinda used by assholes to disparage including non-white folk or lgbt in media because they feel it to be 'forced'.
In the context that she's probably heard it, it's a snarky "I think you're an idiot" retort used against gatekeeping by series, and I think also wanting characters because the series had less of them (citation needed on the second part though). Back then it wasn't people crabbing about Fire Emblem, but Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom