• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
This is very arguable, as a ton of characters (usually keepaway characters) rely a bunch on their Special Moves. The issue is pretty pronounced in Piranha Plant though, and its design could be greatly improved with better normals.

I still low-key wish that Long-Stem Strike grabbed ledges. It would probably be overpowered but man would it be fun (and quite hilarious too).
Yeah, besides agreeing there - I kinda think buffing Plant's stats a little might be a good way to go. Not too much, of course, but a small buff to say Plant's air acceleration might help it some, so it has a slightly easier time hitting its aerials.

In my opinion, "WTF" characters really lose their novelty after their initial reveal and their playstyle becomes too cumbersome for me to enjoy so I pretty much ignore their existence. I'd rather just have iconic characters who play decently, duking it out against each other.
In a lot of ways, those playstyles can feel cumbersome because a lot of their potential is kind of hidden. To use a couple examples:

:ultgnw: : His attacks don't look that special... until one realizes that he (at least in Ultimate) has some of the quickest attacks in the game. Like Up-B, Nair and Down Smash (Up Smash is invurnerable when the attack's active too)*. Someone who's learnt him doesn't just "D-Smash -> F-Smash" - that person will never be trapped in shield period.
:ultduckhunt: : They benefit a lot from constantly manipulating the Can and setting up traps all over the place. Not just "Tap B", but also use the Gunman and aerials to constantly keep the Can unpredictable and take up space. The Can alone can feel cumbersome before one has internalized how to utilize it.
:ultwiifittrainer: : Deep Breathing. It doesn't appear to be much at first, but a WFT with Deep Breathing on is a force to be feared. Also, the Volleyball is surprisingly like the Can - WFT can hit it with every move and send it every which way. Both moves can appear wonky to a newbie, and WFT's normal attacks don't look straightforward either.

*(Edit: Mistakenly thought Up Smash was one of the fastest attacks he has. Whoops.)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
About the same probably. Probably with even less people liking it since it would be a fairly standard character.

This is just anecdotal, but I recently showed my uncle (who hasn't seen Super Smash Bros. since Brawl) various new characters, and Piranha Plant was his favorite, even though Ryu and Ken were who stuck out to him the most initially.

Huh...This is not something I would have ever considered, but Roy probably would make a pretty girl. lol
Cocky screaming redhead anime girls are the best.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
:ultduckhunt: : They benefit a lot from constantly manipulating the Can and setting up traps all over the place. Not just "Tap B", but also use the Gunman and aerials to constantly keep the Can unpredictable and take up space. The Can alone can feel cumbersome before one has internalized how to utilize it.
Yeah Duck Hunt can be super fun, but he'll turn your brain to mush on multiple occasions speaking as someone who mained him in the previous games. It's probably the reason why I dropped him, Shulk, and Mega Man in this game even though they're still in my top favorite characters list. No way am I relearning them.

EDIT: Also, I don't particularly care for limiting myself to a single character anymore. I just play whoever strikes my fancy now. Even so, I wouldn't say I play Shulk, Mega Man, or Duck Hunt very often anymore.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Man how do you see this ****, which for the record, is 8 years old, and think "This character who introduced many people to a gaming genre probably went unnoticed"

****, MvC3's Ultimate newcomers leaked because the pages for the new characters were up meaning you could easily access them if you typed it manually, take a wild guess who was one of the first characters people tried searching for
I feel like MVC3 is a different case because half of that game is dedicated to, well, Capcom. So naturally the fanbase is going to be more narrower in comparison to something like Smash Bros.

Obviously people aren't gonna be asking for the likes of Banjo/K. Rool/Ridley/Crash/etc in MVC, so that's where I feel Phoenix kinda gets lost in the fold when it comes to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So while we have some frontrunners for who could be next (Dante, Geno, Monster Hunter, Rex, Travis, etc.)

Any characters you guys are feeling that is being slept on or overlooked?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know what hes like in his actual game.

I'm just describing his smash screaming lol
Side Special: HUAGH HA HUH HRAAGH
Was this discussed yet? Fighter's Pass 2 is confirmed to not have any sexual content while FP1 had that(which I don't recall seeing).

I... Have no idea what that would mean. I guess it was from Ann or Byleth, maybe? I dunno.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Was this discussed yet? Fighter's Pass 2 is confirmed to not have any sexual content while FP1 had that(which I don't recall seeing).

Mumbo's cameo really went a long way didn't it?

cashregister9

Smash Hero

...What? Maybe Blue Mary or Byleth?

This is probably just ratings boards being dumb

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

I... Have no idea what that would mean. I guess it was from Ann or Byleth, maybe? I dunno.
Only thing I can think of right now that fits are the cameos in Terry's stage, and while Mai may not be there, someone else certainly is...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Tbh, I don't think is a good indicator assuming the pass is still a year away from completion, so I doubt all the content was ready for the ratings boards to fully review

I'm assuming pass 1 had it's rating updated overtime for like is standard practice

As for what triggered the "sexual content" during first pass, I wanna point my fingers to Ann, F!Byleth, and/or Blue Mary, though it's honestly hard to say, assuming how all over the place ratings boards can be with how they give out ratings and descriptors and stuff

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So while we have some frontrunners for who could be next (Dante, Geno, Monster Hunter, Rex, Travis, etc.)

Let's see here...
  • Reimu Hakurei is among the biggest possible indies yadda yadda, we've gone over this already.
  • Isaac is like the first-party equivalent to Banjo yadda yadda, we've gone over this too.
  • Sakura Wars is huge in Japan, blah blah blah I did this in RTC and it didn't take.
  • Dark Souls and Tomb Raider is something we already agree on, don't need to go over that.
Now that I got the filler out of the way,

Ys.

Ys is among the oldest JRPGs, pretty much codified the ARPG genre, and is still going strong to this day. I'd like to say more about it, but right now I'm gonna go play Ys myself. Someone else who's well-versed in Ys continue this for me, please.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah Duck Hunt can be super fun, but he'll turn your brain to mush on multiple occasions speaking as someone who mained him in the previous games. It's probably the reason why I dropped him, Shulk, and Mega Man in this game even though they're still in my top favorite characters list. No way am I relearning them.

EDIT: Also, I don't particularly care for limiting myself to a single character anymore. I just play whoever strikes my fancy now.
Oh yeah, I can def. understand that. Playing (and against, at a high level) Duck Hunt feels like:

Side Special: HUAGH HA HUH HRAAGH

Roy: Yells out all over the place during the match while he's bearhugging the opponent.

The opponent (when hit by Side Special or the famous Jab to Turnaround Back Air): Dies

Roy at the victory screen: "Now the true battle begins!" (Proceeds to yell some more)

Well... umm... Blue Mary mayyybe... I don't think any of Joker's companions had anything remotely sexual (they're from a T/M-rated game IIRC)?

Still, that's a really strange aspect if it's true.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If I had to take a guess, Ann and female Byleth were probably responsible for raising the rating.

I mean, assuming any of this actually means something and the rating will stay the same after the remaining five characters are revealed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That...means absolutely nothing and quite a lot at the same time. How did you do that?

My guess would be that that would mean that there wouldn't be any quote unquote "sexy" characters like Morrigan, Pyra/Mythra, or Monster Hunter (Kirin armour) since anything like that gets you "sexual themes".

It could also just mean we're not getting another Bayonetta, which wouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Ngl I’m worried for Elma if true cause this could mean no true form alt even IF it’s censored

Neku, Elma, League of Legends Champion, Octoling, any Bandai Namco character in general, Phoenix Wright, Arle Nadja

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ngl I’m worried for Elma if true cause this could mean no true form alt even IF it’s censored
To be fair that could be avoided by not having her true form be her final smash.
Never played X so, any other ideas what her Final Smash could be?

2B on the other hand though...

Edit: Spoiled under Rie Sonomura's request.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be fair that could be avoided by not having her true form be her final smash.

2B on the other hand though...
I was thinking it would be an alt. Also spoiler that line pls

her final smash could be a Skell. The true form is merely cosmetic and unlocked when you beat the game

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well... umm... Blue Mary mayyybe... I don't think any of Joker's companions had anything remotely sexual (they're from a T/M-rated game IIRC)?
Actually, one of them wears a skin tight cat jumpsuit.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want that in the game to begin with.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I can def. understand that. Playing (and against, at a high level) Duck Hunt feels like:

Roy: Yells out all over the place during the match while he's bearhugging the opponent.

The opponent (when hit by Side Special or the famous Jab to Turnaround Back Air): Dies

Roy at the victory screen: "Now the true battle begins!" (Proceeds to yell some more)

Still, that's a really strange aspect if it's true.
I mean... Jokers first female companion has an incredibly sexualized outfit in comparison to the others, that would probably do it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Joke: Rex & Pyra are deconfirmed because of the Mii costume from FP1
Woke: Rex & Pyra are deconfirmed because it'll be Rex & Mythra, using her design from the censored Spirit.
Bespoke: Rex & Pyra AND Rex & Mythra are deconfirmed cause instead we’re getting Solo Pneuma. The ultimate gesture of Sakurai not giving a single **** about spoilers

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean... Jokers first female companion has an incredibly sexualized outfit in comparison to the others, that would probably do it
I didn't read the word female the first time I read this post, and was about to joke about how sexy Ren's skull mask is. lol

This is the 3rd time within this month where we talked about Sexual content in a serious speculation manner and NGL that is hilarious.
And probably like the 5th time we've discussed it at all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's something to consider going forward, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. Keep in mind that this applies to everything included in the DLC, not just playable characters. Not really sure if I believe Sakurai would already know if F9 through F11's Spirits would include anything suggestive, unless the character is from a franchise so tame that it couldn't possibly be a concern.

D

Deleted member

What was so "sexy" about FP1? Byleth isn't sexy, I'm sorry.

Terry Bogard though.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKX31

Smash Master
Actually, one of them wears a skin tight cat jumpsuit.
Oh yeah... forgot all about Ann. She might count, even if they removed all references to the circumstances leading up to her joining the party.

This is the 3rd time within this month where we talked about Sexual content in a serious speculation manner and NGL that is hilarious.
Hotel Mario voice: It's been one of those days.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

That was probably Ann or Blue Mary on the Persona 5 stage/KOF stage. I think this only means we're not getting 2B or Morrigan though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was the Brazilian rating always like that or only after a certain FPV1 character? Cause if it was always like that I think it was due to Panther’s outfit, even though they reduced her booty and boobs I think but the outfit itself still counts

I think this is largely arbitrary and FPV2’s Brazilian rating can change at any time too

D

Deleted member

What was sexy about FP1?

Maybe the SNK cameos, but they weren't that sexy at all. Mai was even excluded.

Persona 5 didn't have anything sexy either.

Twintelle was added before FP1.

People will jump to Byleth, but Byleth isn't revealing in Smash at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Doesn't the Fighters Pass get rated as more Challenger Packs Release? also if Twintelle didn't set anything off than the Rating is almost certainly a placeholder and/or Brazil is really weird when it comes to rating things

Ann's outfit is creepy so it wouldn't shock me if that was an exception

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom