• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
Thing is, I do not see Nintendo shadow-dropping just Kirby Fighters 2 only for it to be released "later today"
Also, this is a huge stretch, but no videos on were uploaded on Nintendo's Youtube channel yesterday, the reason why I bring this up is that the day before the Mario 35th direct, only one video was posted that day as they were probably finishing up that presentation and making preparations for it's release. I can see that this is another case of that happening again, but we'll see.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
About the Kirby announcement:

I don't think it's gonna be this week. I think it's more likely that it'll be one of the October announcements to tide everyone over until CP7 release/Crown Tundra/Pikmin 3. It is a smaller title, after all, and October has a lot of space for announcements right now.

...Look, I get that people want to be cautiously optimistic, but y'all are just way too eager to throw this week into the trash, it seems.

It is Wednesday my dudes. If there's a Sakurai Presents this week, it'll likely be announced today. Let's just wait until the day ends before we throw all our eggs in the basket of "next week".

D

Deleted member

I really could use a Sakurai Presents today after doing notes for a good chunk of my night...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well fine if it bothers you that much. Geez.

To be clear though, I made the edits before reading your correction.

Isn't it just an effect that can be applied to any model without issue?

Even if not, I'd imagine this is only a thing because DLC characters show up in the fight should you own them. Someone would have to confirm this of course, but I doubt they'd make the skins playable, especially since they're sky blue, and so is the sky on a lot of stages.
Just woke up but wrt the last thing: the Galeem clone one (sky blue) can show up on the Galeem stage which is just final destination’s “light” phase. Plus they have a glow and aura, same with the Dharkon (ruby red) ones. You could also have just the glow and aura without the full body effect, like in Hero’s trailer

also RED ALERT DIRECT ARCHIVE UPDATED AGAIN

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Thing is, I do not see Nintendo shadow-dropping just Kirby Fighters 2 only for it to be released "later today"
Also, this is a huge stretch, but no videos on were uploaded on Nintendo's Youtube channel yesterday, the reason why I bring this up is that the day before the Mario 35th direct, only one video was posted that day as they were probably finishing up that presentation and making preparations for it's release. I can see that this is another case of that happening again, but we'll see.
Also Nintendo Versus twitter hasn't posted anything since Monday
Don't fail me now, twitter astrology

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just woke up but wrt the last thing: the Galeem clone one (sky blue) can show up on the Galeem stage which is just final destination’s “light” phase. Plus they have a glow and aura, same with the Dharkon (ruby red) ones. You could also have just the glow and aura without the full body effect, like in Hero’s trailer

also RED ALERT DIRECT ARCHIVE UPDATED AGAIN

There's a Hyrule Warriors presentation at the Tokyo Game Show in about three days, so I'm guessing that it's related to that.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
There's a Hyrule Warriors presentation at the Tokyo Game Show in about three days, so I'm guessing that it's related to that.
If things like "Sakurai/Pokèmon Presents" don't count as Direct then I doubt that an info drop done by a third party studio during an event that Nintendo isn't even attending will.

EDIT: To be more clear, while I think that Nintendo will most likely share the information that will be revealed at TGS regarding Age of Calamity (and maybe even MonHun Rise), I think they will just tweet about and that's it.

I also think that's it not a complete death sentence to a regular announcement this week since, again, we're talking about a Japan-only event that's happening during the weekend. I am not saying Smash news is guaranteed for this week or even that it's likely, I am just saying that it's not out of the question just yet.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Nooo, where did Doctor Doom go? He's one of my favorite characters all time for a solid reason:

zbamn6dgy3f31.jpg

:4pacman:

If things like "Sakurai/Pokèmon Presents" don't count as Direct then I doubt that an info drop done by a third party studios during an event that Nintendo isn't even atteting will.
I do wonder though if the HW presentation "counts" as a "Direct" internally for the same purposes that a "Sakurai Presents" might count as a "Direct" internally. (Although this is hardcore speculation with no solid evidence backing it up, could someone please check if the smaller videos also "count" in the database?)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Looks like things are lining up...My guess is an announcement Friday for something Monday, but honestly it could also be Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. This is neat.

Today at 9, NOA tweeted about Mario Picross and Donkey Kong Country 2 being added to SNES Switch Online. There's still a remote chance of something at 10, but I'm not hedging my bets.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nooo, where did Doctor Doom go? He's one of my favorite characters all time for a solid reason:

View attachment 286547

:4pacman:
Haha that panel's great! Not sure if that's edited or from one of the early-reader comics like this one:

I might switch back to Doctor Doom in November, but since it's getting close to Halloween, I figured I should change things up. Halloween's one of the few scary movies that I've seen, so I figured I'd go with a Michael Myers mask.

Kirby Fighters 2 looks interesting, though I haven't looked too deeply into the first one. I wonder if Nintendo's going to announce it on Twitter this morning like they did with Paper Mario: The Origami King or Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

Also, I wonder if when the Smash presentation happens, it will be a double reveal (due to the sheer amount of time that we've been waiting for Smash news - it's been roughly six months since the reveal that we'd be getting an ARMS character, and most people had cut the list down to five or six plausible characters within a week). Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like it if we got a Sakurai Presents on whoever FP7 is, followed by a Terry-style trailer for FP8 that doesn't show much if any gameplay. (getting lots of details on two DLC characters at once seems unrealistic, at least at the rate that they're going now)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Bandana Waddle Dee still has no chance.
Hold your horses. I definitely agree that Kirby Fighters 2 doesn't really do anything for his chances (I was honestly more ****posting than anything else), but Bandana Waddle Dee has no chance at getting in Smash?

He's got a ton of things going in his corner right now. He's a major fan favourite both in his home series and Smash, often being the most requested first party at the top of fan polls. He continues to grow in importance in his series. With a near perfect track record of appearances since his debut, multiple depictions of him as Kirby's #2 in games such as Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Kirby Battle Royale, and a planned mode in the vein of Meta Knightmare and Dededetour, it's fair to say he's on the tier of Meta Knight and King Dedede in Kirby's modern cast. Plus, he's got a tailor-made moveset that explores a weapon barely touched upon in Smash. Moveset potential!

To address the elephant in the room, yes, Bandana Waddle Dee could be utilized as a promotional character. If we consider Min Min a promotional character, then it's clear that you don't need to be the poster boy/girl of a 6-month old game to be a promotional character in Smash. If Min Min (a fan favourite from an early, B-tier Switch title that's largely absent in much of the game's mainstream advertising) is kosher for Nintendo's corporate interests, then what's stopping Bandana Waddle Dee (a fan favourite from an early, B-tier Switch title that's largely absent in much of the game's mainstream advertising) from being eligible? While I think we vastly overestimate how necessary some promotional angle is for a first party getting into Smash given our small sample size, it's not really an issue for Bandana Dee.

I can definitely understand being skeptical about his chances, but he's not completely down and out. He's got more than enough to be considered a legitimate option.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

This has been the only tweet from NOA Nothing related to any pink puffball, I'm thinking Kirby Fighters 2 will be revealed either later today, tomorrow, the next day or Next week

EDIT: :ultgreninja::ultgreninja::ultgreninja:
Hm. NoE didn't tweet about that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To address the elephant in the room, yes, Bandana Waddle Dee could be utilized as a promotional character. If we consider Min Min a promotional character, then it's clear that you don't need to be the poster boy/girl of a 6-month old game to be a promotional character in Smash. If Min Min (a fan favourite from an early, B-tier Switch title that's largely absent in much of the game's mainstream advertising) is kosher for Nintendo's corporate interests, then what's stopping Bandana Waddle Dee (a fan favourite from an early, B-tier Switch title that's largely absent in much of the game's mainstream advertising) from being eligible? While I think we vastly overestimate how necessary some promotional angle is for a first party getting into Smash given our small sample size, it's not really an issue for Bandana Dee.
I mean, maybe, but I highly doubt it. Kirby is not a new series that sold really well like ARMS, nor an up and coming series that takes a ton more time an effort to make than normal like Xenoblade Chronicles. It's a long running series that consistently does alright, but not amazing, and I just don't see them wanting to promote a title that's old news at this point for a series of its position. The only reason why I think Xenoblade Chroicles 2 can overcome this obstacle is because it seems to be a rising star that Nintendo would want to grow as much as possible due to how huge each title is, and because Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition keeps the series relevant to the general public.

Imo, the only way a Kirby character would even be considered is if that new Kirby game the devs are excited about is coming out next year. Considering the new Luchador Kirby, we may yet see evidence of that. Until then though, my verdict is that Bandana Waddle Dee will not be DLC.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't added to the next game's base game though.

SKX31

Smash Master
Haha that panel's great! Not sure if that's edited or from one of the early-reader comics like this one:

I might switch back to Doctor Doom in November, but since it's getting close to Halloween, I figured I should change things up. Halloween's one of the few scary movies that I've seen, so I figured I'd go with a Michael Myers mask.

Kirby Fighters 2 looks interesting, though I haven't looked too deeply into the first one. I wonder if Nintendo's going to announce it on Twitter this morning like they did with Paper Mario: The Origami King or Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

Also, I wonder if when the Smash presentation happens, it will be a double reveal (due to the sheer amount of time that we've been waiting for Smash news - it's been roughly six months since the reveal that we'd be getting an ARMS character, and most people had cut the list down to five or six plausible characters within a week). Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like it if we got a Sakurai Presents on whoever FP7 is, followed by a Terry-style trailer for FP8 that doesn't show much if any gameplay. (getting lots of details on two DLC characters at once seems unrealistic, at least at the rate that they're going now)
The "Might be Mean!" one is real and from Spidey Super Stories #45 - aka. the really strange 70s / 80s tie-in with the Electric Company that was meant for kids (although the TV series was even crazier - ever wanted to see Spider Man and Morgan Freeman team up to defeat a Yeti?). The "Master of the World" one is also real - and it's from Spidey Super Stories #53, alongside this famous one:

ZSr5nRP.png

"Toots as he pleases" is a slight edit - Namor's plea is originally "Do not use it!" and Doom's retort "Doom Does as he pleases!" It only takes 2 pages from the moment Doom toots the horn until he rides the monster back to the surface.

Polygon wrote an article about "Toots as he pleases" and the Super Stories / Electric Company tie in here.

This has been the only tweet from NOA Nothing related to any pink puffball, I'm thinking Kirby Fighters 2 will be revealed either later today, tomorrow, the next day or Next week
Yeah, I'm getting the impression that Kirby Fighters 2 was supposed to be another shadowdrop. Then again, the biggest takeaway from this is that the SNK trademark mistake was not a completely isolated incident - mistakes and miscommunication do happen (especially on pages that are supposed to be hidden in some form) and there is always that chance that a FP2 fighter could be indirectly revealed via such a mistake, just like Terry was.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Will we get anything announced tomorrow though I wonder like the Kirby game or the fall update for New Horizons.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Things are lining up, huh?

Ehhh still not sure about this week. This month's already been packed as is. I could potentially see something late next week, assuming we're gonna be into October starting that Thursday, but I think we're done with September for the time being.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Smash, yeah I think the most we will get this week is an announcement Thursday/Friday for a Sakurai Presents the following week, if that.

It does make me curious if we'll get anything from Nintendo specifically today or tomorrow given that its largely Koei Techmo doing the presentation for Hyrule Warriors II.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A tough exam is looming over me...

Yes, I am aware games exist, but Smash news please.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean, the 7-Eleven ad doesn't go down until the 14th, no? (EDIT: Just saw it's on the 4th, not the 14th. My bad!) It's possible we're in a holding pattern until the second week of October, however, As I said last night: Next week looks pretty favorable. We'll pretty much know by Tuesday next week where we stand.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here is a potential timeline in my eyes:

Thursday: potential chance for Kirby or MAAYBE smash
Next week: Smash or Kirby
First Week in Oct: Animal Crossing
Second Week in Oct: If smash didn't happen earlier then this week if not, Pokemon
After that IDK

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder. Assuming the Nintendo Direct Archive's update means that we will get a presentation shortly, that would mean that we're about to see a Nintendo Direct Mini rather than a Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase, as we've already had one for this month, and I doubt we'd get one so early in October. But we also know that Ninendo doesn't have anything major to show us. So, what would be in it? Kirby Fighters 2, Animal Crossing: New Horizons's Fall Update, Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield's Isle of Armour/Crown Tundra update, and a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character? Would it be shown off next week? Would that mean the next character is still far out because it would mean no Sakurai Presents "???"? Would the Sakurai Presents happen after the Nintendo Direct Mini?

sigh

So many questions, so little answers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So what is upcoming?

BOTW: Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon Tundra News, Kirby Warriors 2, a Smash presentation, and Animal Crossing?

Last edited by a moderator:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I wonder. Assuming the Nintendo Direct Archive's update means that we will get a presentation shortly, that would mean that we're about to see a Nintendo Direct Mini rather than a Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase, as we've already had one for this month, and I doubt we'd get one so early in October. But we also know that Ninendo doesn't have anything major to show us. So, what would be in it? Kirby Fighters 2, Animal Crossing: New Horizons's Fall Update, Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield's Isle of Armour/Crown Tundra update, and a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character? Would it be shown off next week? Would that mean the next character is still far out because it would mean no Sakurai Presents "???"? Would the Sakurai Presents happen after the Nintendo Direct Mini?

sigh

As the last Partner Showcase and the accompanying Monster Hunter Direct have demonstrated, Nintendo is still perfectly capable of doing livestreamed presentations and additional presentations afterwards. A livestreamed regular Direct mini that knocks out most of the smaller stuff Nintendo has planned for the rest of the year, followed by an also livestreamed Sakurai Presents video for the next Smash character, honestly doesn't seem out of the question... at least, assuming Nintendo isn't still hellbent on drip feeding us this info over the next few months despite it not benefiting anyone.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

sigh

Didn't we figure out a while ago that the Nintendo Direct Archive updating meant nothing?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As the last Partner Showcase and the accompanying Monster Hunter Direct have demonstrated, Nintendo is still perfectly capable of doing livestreamed presentations and additional presentations afterwards. A livestreamed regular Direct mini that knocks out most of the smaller stuff Nintendo has planned for the rest of the year, followed by an also livestreamed Sakurai Presents video for the next Smash character, honestly doesn't seem out of the question... at least, assuming Nintendo isn't still hellbent on drip feeding us this info over the next few months despite it not benefiting anyone.
Oh I don't deny that. My question was what would they do rather than what could they do.

Didn't we figure out a while ago that the Nintendo Direct Archive updating meant nothing?
Not that I know of. Iirc, the last time we noticed, the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase happened sooner than expected.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Kirby, I can't imagine a huge promotional effort for his games (in Smash or anything else) unless its another mainline title like Star Allies. The eshop exclusives like Kirby Fighters are fine, but not something that feels like it would be the center of Direct or anything that significant.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Oh no. I am not watching that crap show again. I'm just going to assume that Joker was a one time thing like a reasonable person and ignore The Game Awards completely.
Seconded. The 2019 Game Awards were such a slog, part of me is convinced they're going on right now. If we get a nice surprise at it this year, I'm more than happy to find out about it later via Twitter or YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom