• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Btw just gonna say it but a game coming out doesnt increase any fighters chances a ton lmao
if this was the case then DmC, DOOM, Streets of Rage, Kirby, Mario, Zelda, LEGO, and a bajillion others would be a lock in smash lmao

So no kirby fighters 2 doesnt mean bandanna dee is gonna be announced soon

He COULD be but it wouldnt be related

btw direct mini is probs droppin tomorrow

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Everyone is talking about how little clothes characters can get away with while still appealing to good boys and girls, but characters like :ultpikachu: and :ultsonic: are out here fighting naked.

I say it's about time they showed some decency and put on some clothes!

Heoj

Smash Ace
Btw just gonna say it but a game coming out doesnt increase any fighters chances a ton lmao
if this was the case then DmC, DOOM, Streets of Rage, Kirby, Mario, Zelda, LEGO, and a bajillion others would be a lock in smash lmao

I feel like Crash really fits this.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I disagree. Nintendo knows about these games ahead of time for the most part, if not entirely. If a new game is coming out, that means it's on the mind, and something they'd consider. Granted, not every release correlates to a new fighter, and it doesn't seem to have too much weight with 3rd party considerations, as only one of them had a cross-promotion opportunity with something like that.

It matters quite a lot for 1st party characters though, as promotion is everything in regards to their chances. If a new game comes out, that means that they're more likely to want to push the series, which means its more likely to get a fighter. Again, it's not a guarantee, but it does increase chances.

Also, I think Monster Hunter is a special case, as it's a huge series getting two relatively large titles. Due to that and the absence of any new games from other Capcom series, I firmly believe this puts Monster Hunter a way more likely pick than it's intercompany competition.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I think people like using the promotion thing or "new game" thing to really like grasp at straws for whoever they want

almost everyone is like "well my character has a new game so that means theyre more likely" when it really doesnt cause SO MANY characters have new games coming out that it really barely matters at all

I just think that reasoning is extremely flawed

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Everyone is talking about how little clothes characters can get away with while still appealing to good boys and girls, but characters like :ultpikachu: and :ultsonic: are out here fighting naked.

I will not stand for this slander! Sonic is not naked, he's wearing shoes thank you very much. I'll have you know that that is the outfit of his people, and I will not allow you to disrespect it like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The issue is when women are naked, duh. Pikachu Libre's fully dressed after all

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I agree that most of these new games probably won't have any effect on the DLC, I also don't think it's fair to act like it's ridiculous to give new games serious consideration. Granted, I think this makes more sense with first-parties, but still.

We're probably getting one, maybe two characters that'll promote a new release. At least that's what I expect.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
So uhh, I feel like we're getting a Direct tomorrow...somehow. I have literally no idea what could be announced in a non-partner, shadowdropped Mini. Maybe its a Kirby Direct???

Shroob

Sup?
So uhh, I feel like we're getting a Direct tomorrow...somehow. I have literally no idea what could be announced in a non-partner, shadowdropped Mini. Maybe its a Kirby Direct???
Seriously doubt it. We don't have really anything coming down the line.

We'll probably get this Kirby game dropped on us and that's it.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, the Direct archive got updated. That's what made me assume there's an incoming Direct(?).
We learned awhile back that the Archive updates completely sporadically without any rhyme or reason.

While it'd be great, it's a complete coinflip if it means anything. It updated before the Mario Direct, but then it updated multiple times the following week.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I will not stand for this slander! Sonic is not naked, he's wearing shoes thank you very much. I'll have you know that that is the outfit of his people, and I will not allow you to disrespect it like that.
Would it help if I told you Sonic is wearing a skin tight lycra suit?

Shroob

Sup?
what. we have plenty coming down the line that nintendo needs to update us on. animal crossing, pokemon, smash. and they kinda need to hurry up too on some of these.
All of that can, and probably will be, shadow dropped on Twitter and Youtube, especially since that's all DLC and not full releases. I don't think 3 DLC patches warrant a full-blown Direct(Though because Pokemon's Pokemon, it'll probably get its own Direct to talk about Crown Tundra).

Imran's already said that Nintendo's holiday lineup is more or less spent with only "A few small releases" left, this Kirby game no doubt being one of those smaller ones.

Polan

Smash Lord
All of that can, and probably will be, shadow dropped on Twitter and Youtube, especially since that's all DLC and not full releases. I don't think 3 DLC patches warrant a full-blown Direct(Though because Pokemon's Pokemon, it'll probably get its own Direct to talk about Crown Tundra).

Imran's already said that Nintendo's holiday lineup is more or less spent with only "A few small releases" left, this Kirby game no doubt being one of those smaller ones.
yeah that's what the minis are there for. cram all those small releases, some third party/indie stuff and smash and you have a good sized mini.

Shroob

Sup?
yeah that's what the minis are there for. cram all those small releases, some third party/indie stuff and smash and you have a good sized mini.
I have very little confidence in us getting a Mini.

Especially since the leak scene is dead silent right now. There's 0 teases going around. If press kits were going out, one of the big names would be teasing something, they've pretty much been doing this for the last month.

Not only that, but the Direct archive, as mentioned before, is unreliable. It did update for Mario, but then it updated a bunch and nothing happened, it just updates whenever it feels like and doesn't always mean something's coming.

Polan

Smash Lord
I have very little confidence in us getting a Mini.

Especially since the leak scene is dead silent right now. There's 0 teases going around. If press kits were going out, one of the big names would be teasing something, they've pretty much been doing this for the last month.

Not only that, but the Direct archive, as mentioned before, is unreliable. It did update for Mario, but then it updated a bunch and nothing happened, it just updates whenever it feels like and doesn't always mean something's coming.
leakers don't know everything. like they kept teasing a general direct and got hit with the partner showcases. they also didn't leak AoC either. i personally expect a mini or something close to that because their pace of one reveal per week is way too slow. gonna have to start bunching up the announcements, especially if they have a bunch of small reveals left for this year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If they’re shadowdropping full Mario and Zelda games they’re not going to have a mini for eshop titles and DLC.

Especially because we know more Partner Directs are coming and the first party lineup for the next few months is more or less revealed.

The most you’ll get at this point is game-specific presentations.

Shroob

Sup?
leakers don't know everything. like they kept teasing a general direct and got hit with the partner showcases. they also didn't leak AoC either. i personally expect a mini or something close to that because their pace of one reveal per week is way too slow. gonna have to start bunching up the announcements, especially if they have a bunch of small reveals left for this year.
Yeah, actually, they did leak age of calamity.

This was posted the literal day before it was shown off, by the guy who leaked MinMin in a coded message that people read way too deeply into, and yes, he's a known leaker with a good track record of doing "Tease" leaks.

And, no, they really do not.

We don't even know 'when' Crown Tundra news is coming. We get Kirby tomorrow, Smash next week, maybe AC the week after and then Pokemon and we're still completely on schedule.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
This year won't end for like three other months. Nintendo has what? Six "big" reveals left? Seven?

Even if they reveal one game per week, there's plenty of time left. And it's not like they need directs to make more frequent announcements.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
dunno. i'm just getting impatient for any new smash info. its been almost 5 months now since the arms reveal and we've got nothing on who the next character is.
We're all impatient.

At this point, just bank on the next 2 weeks due to the 7-11 poster.

Polan

Smash Lord
its funny because looking at everything they announced this month...we could have easily gotten a general direct. age of calamity, 3d world, the mario collection, monster hunter, some of the stuff in the partner showcases, smash, animal crossing, plus maybe one thing from 2021 could have been a respectable direct. don't know why they spread it out but its nintendo's call to make.

Shroob

Sup?
its funny because looking at everything they announced this month...we could have easily gotten a general direct. age of calamity, 3d world, the mario collection, monster hunter, some of the stuff in the partner showcases, smash, animal crossing, plus maybe one thing from 2021 could have been a respectable direct. don't know why they spread it out but its nintendo's call to make.
To be honest, probably costs less to just pump out a bunch of trailers onto Youtube than to get a team together to make a Direct.

Directs require the use of either stand in guides, or narrators, and they're probably just taking fragments of things that they already had on hand and just tossing them out there and hoping no one notices, which bit them in the ass with the Mario 35th and the April thing.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

As in partner showcase or nintendo mini

Polan

Smash Lord
To be honest, probably costs less to just pump out a bunch of trailers onto Youtube than to get a team together to make a Direct.

Directs require the use of either stand in guides, or narrators, and they're probably just taking fragments of things that they already had on hand and just tossing them out there and hoping no one notices, which bit them in the ass with the Mario 35th and the April thing.
but they did make directs. the mario direct and the mh direct plus the showcases.

Shroob

Sup?
but they did make directs. the mario direct and the mh direct plus the showcases.
The Mario Direct was probably filmed all the way back in April if the Mario Maker whoopsie is to be believed, and honestly, I feel like Nintendo's made it very clear their stance during Covid, which is:

"3rd party IPs get rounded up into small, partner Direct"

"Our stuff just gets dropped unless it's Mario 35th or Pokemon"

If you're still expecting a Mini Direct in 2020 that's not either a Partner showcase or a game-specific one, I'm sorry, it's just not happening, as much as we all want it. Come back in 2021 when there's hopefully a Covid vaccine and work life returns to normal.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Considering she doesn't wear pants, and her **** are barely contained in her shirt, I think CERO would have several choice words about that.
They can.

Didn't save Mai.
CERO really only cares about panty shots, so they could easily go with her Wild Rift design.

It didn't save Mai because she was never gonna get in before Terry. Terry is more popular AND the protagonist of Fatal Fury.

If Mai was to get in, it would have been as a cameo, Spirit or Costume, so clearly it's a matter of Sakurai just not wanting to deal with CERO's whining.

Big difference between Mai's situation and 2B/Ahri/insert female picks with revealing clothing.

Come on, people, I thought we were over this...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Now, I wouldn't say that any non-promotional 1st party can't get in- that would be a kinda weird thing to argue. But 3rd parties are inherently different compared to 1st parties. One is something coming directly from Nintendo, while the other is an entire universe that may or may not be close to Nintendo. To the mainstream, it's a bigger deal.
“The mainstream” doesn’t care about DLC characters as much as you think they do considering it is a known fact that DLC sells best within the first couple of months nor are they as obsessed with the idea of “new universes”, they simply care about widely iconic characters regardless of where they come from or who owns them.

The pool of iconic third-party characters remaining are obviously going to be higher in quantity, but the idea that character like Toad or Eevee, hugely popular, iconic characters from two of the biggest video game franchises ever would be seen as less of a big deal than say, someone like Doomguy among a mainstream audience would falsely imply that they are as obsessed with “new worlds” as hardcore fans are rather than the latter projecting their beliefs onto a wider audience. Don’t get me wrong, Doomguy has enough of a strong legacy and merits to get in on his own account and this kind of comparison is pretty unfair of me, but if you are going to start another silly first-party vs third-party comparison, you should realise the general audience doesn’t base their hype on the arbitrary notion of who owns which characters. To assume that is wrong. I mean it is clear that the character the “mainstream” was upset about getting excluded is Waluigi. Even the Netflix account made a big deal out of this.

It's harder to argue that Min Min is as much of a promo pick as Corrin or Byleth (though I'd say she is to an extent) but to simply ignore that fact I think is a bit odd. Two of the 3 newcomer DLC picks are promotional, which I don't think is pure coincidence. I think it's also worth noting that when looking at 1st party DLC speculation, it was largely based on "popularity", which pointed to Waluigi, BWD, or Isaac. Spring Man was seen as a gate to further upgrades, and while Min Min opened things up for spirits, the jury is still out on Assist Trophies. If ATs are off the table, that shoots down Waluigi or Isaac, leaving us mainly picks like Rex or Bandanna Waddle Dee, neither of which is promotional.
If Min Min can qualify as a “promotional” pick just because of a Switch game, so can Bandana Dee or Rex. Obviously she’s not. All this fact does is open up the possibility of non-promotional first-party characters.

1) Did Joker set the tone for "3rd parties" or "unique gameplay ideas"? After Joker, each character continues that trend regardless of parent company- Min Min included.
Which is a meaningless criteria as pretty much any Nintendo character can be at least on par with :ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth:in bringing in new gameplay ideas.

2) I would actually argue that if Min Min was meant to get people into the hype of FP2...she didn't really do a great job. There's not much chatter to be had about FP2 outside of Smash forums, and I'd argue some folks have lost some interest based on the last few picks. Now, I myself enjoy Byleth and Min Min, but there are many out there that seek the "didn't see that coming" pick. Nintendo picks are more expected by the mainstream, believe it or not, but not as wanted.
Yes, because the likes of Waluigi and Isaac are seen as more obvious than the commonly speculated third-party characters and everyone saw an ARMs character coming.

4) With how spaced out the reveals are thus far, it's obviously different from Volume 1. Joker set a tone, sure. But he was followed up with another character shortly after, and brought much of the conversation of "who's next?" in plenty of places. I may be wrong, but I'm not seeing the same buzz this time. It isn't to say that Min Min was a bad pick- far from it. Simply put, I think the spacing between picks has made the "first pick" a wee bit less important at this point when all it will take is a bombshell pick to bring all the attention back based on the time period between reveals.
Joker was revealed in December and the next character revealed was in June Which is about 6 months, longer than between Min Min’s reveal and now.

It is clear that animals get a free pass. It is the only reason I can think why Krystal gets away with her Adventures outfit even as an Assist Trophy whilst :ultpalutena: was censored despite the fact she wears more.

Also, you forgot these guys :ultdk::ultbowser::ultgreninja::ultkrool::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultincineroar:.

Last edited:

hinode

Smash Cadet
One thing about the Mario direct is that it had a bunch of merchandise in it, and Nintendo has had a pretty strict policy of keeping those out of general directs (even minis), presumably for fear of backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom