• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This makes me wanna participate actually, $700 worth of Switch games is a ****ing steal.

Again, the "weird online item bracket" bit is important, since the qualifiers for this is exactly that. Perhaps the Finals will be more in line with tourney standard a la the last Online Open? Anyhow, having the qualifiers like this is still weird. It feels like many within Nintendo still wants to market Ultimate's features... when the competitive scene has ruled out said features as too imbalanced to be considered good for the game. I mean, Sonic's only getting buffed by items and janky stages on, and he's already buffed by online's lag.
Items and jank stages? Looks like it's :ulthero3:time.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's really kind of a shame since the protagonists in the series aren't really all that samey.
Granted, these aren't the same artstyle, and Roy doesn't have his current design (also Alm, Celica, Robin, Corrin, and Byleth aren't here), but most of them are quite different from the others...It just so happens that the ones they did pick have a predominantly blue color scheme.
As you mentioned, they're in different art styles. When you put them in Ultimate's more subdued, semi-realistic artstyle, they all look rather same-y, especially from afar. That's not just an FE thing, either; It goes for all the anime-styled humans. It doesn't help that more than half of them use similarly-designed swords, so at first glance they look like they'd fight pretty similarly. Even though only two of them are direct clones, it still gives off a sour first impression.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I guess this will have something to do with the Japan-only mode being available?
There is Literaly nothing stopping pro players from joining this and stealing it from everyone

SKX31

Smash Master
This makes me wanna participate actually, $700 worth of Switch games is a ****ing steal.

Items and jank stages? Looks like it's :ulthero3:time.
Yeah, copying from the tournament website:

Items: Medium
  • Smash Ball
    [*]Containers
    [*]Blast Box
    [*]Food
    [*]Healing Sprout
    [*]Super Mushroom
    [*]Poison Mushroom
    [*]Warp Star
    [*]Bunny Hood
    [*]Timer
    [*]Bullet Bill
    [*]Beam Sword
    [*]Star Rod
    [*]Home-Run Bat
    [*]Lip’s Stick
    [*]Fire Bar
    [*]Ore Club
    [*]Killing Edge
    [*]Death’s Scythe
    [*]Ray Gun
    [*]Super Scope
    [*]Steel Diver
    [*]Drill
    [*]Banana Gun
    [*]Bob-omb
    [*]Motion-Sensor Bomb
    [*]Green Shell
    [*]Bumper
    [*]Freezie
    [*]Mr. Saturn
    [*]Gooey Bomb
    [*]Smart Bomb
    [*]Deku Nut
    [*]Pitfall
    [*]Hothead
    [*]Banana Peel
    [*]Unira
    [*]Soccer Ball
    [*]Bombchu
    [*]X Bomb
    [*]Hocotate Bomb
    [*]Boomerang
    [*]Cucco
    [*]Killer Eye
    [*]Beastball
    [*]Franklin Badge
    [*]Back Shield
    [*]Super Leaf
    [*]Rocket Belt
Stages:

• Battlefield
  • Small Battlefield
  • Peach’s Castle
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Super Happy Tree
  • Dream Land
  • Saffron City
  • Princess Peach’s Castle
  • Kongo Falls
  • Jungle Japes
  • Great Bay
  • Brinstar
  • Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Green Greens
  • Corneria
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Onett
  • Fourside
  • Delfino Plaza
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Yoshi’s Island
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Spear Pillar
  • Spirit Train
  • Unova Pokémon League
  • Prism Tower
  • Magicant
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • Tortimer Island
  • Find Mii
  • PictoChat 2
  • Mushroom Kingdom U
  • Mario Circuit
  • Skyloft
  • Kalos Pokémon League
  • Coliseum
  • Gamer
  • Town and City
  • Wii Fit Studio
  • Pilotwings
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Midgar
  • Umbra Clock Tower
  • New Donk City Hall
  • Great Plateau Tower
  • Mementos
  • Yggdrasil’s Altar
  • Spiral Mountain
  • King of Fighters Stadium
  • Garreg Mach Monastery
  • Spring Stadium

This feels like NoA's marketing features first and foremost.

There is Literaly nothing stopping pro players from joining this and stealing it from everyone
ESAM 'bout to pick his pro-tier Min Min and backthrow everyone off the stage for EZ off stage kills! Woo!

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yeah, copying from the tournament website:

Items: Medium
  • Smash Ball
    [*]Containers
    [*]Blast Box
    [*]Food
    [*]Healing Sprout
    [*]Super Mushroom
    [*]Poison Mushroom
    [*]Warp Star
    [*]Bunny Hood
    [*]Timer
    [*]Bullet Bill
    [*]Beam Sword
    [*]Star Rod
    [*]Home-Run Bat
    [*]Lip’s Stick
    [*]Fire Bar
    [*]Ore Club
    [*]Killing Edge
    [*]Death’s Scythe
    [*]Ray Gun
    [*]Super Scope
    [*]Steel Diver
    [*]Drill
    [*]Banana Gun
    [*]Bob-omb
    [*]Motion-Sensor Bomb
    [*]Green Shell
    [*]Bumper
    [*]Freezie
    [*]Mr. Saturn
    [*]Gooey Bomb
    [*]Smart Bomb
    [*]Deku Nut
    [*]Pitfall
    [*]Hothead
    [*]Banana Peel
    [*]Unira
    [*]Soccer Ball
    [*]Bombchu
    [*]X Bomb
    [*]Hocotate Bomb
    [*]Boomerang
    [*]Cucco
    [*]Killer Eye
    [*]Beastball
    [*]Franklin Badge
    [*]Back Shield
    [*]Super Leaf
    [*]Rocket Belt
Stages:

• Battlefield
  • Small Battlefield
  • Peach’s Castle
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Super Happy Tree
  • Dream Land
  • Saffron City
  • Princess Peach’s Castle
  • Kongo Falls
  • Jungle Japes
  • Great Bay
  • Brinstar
  • Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Green Greens
  • Corneria
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Onett
  • Fourside
  • Delfino Plaza
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Yoshi’s Island
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Spear Pillar
  • Spirit Train
  • Unova Pokémon League
  • Prism Tower
  • Magicant
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • Tortimer Island
  • Find Mii
  • PictoChat 2
  • Mushroom Kingdom U
  • Mario Circuit
  • Skyloft
  • Kalos Pokémon League
  • Coliseum
  • Gamer
  • Town and City
  • Wii Fit Studio
  • Pilotwings
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Midgar
  • Umbra Clock Tower
  • New Donk City Hall
  • Great Plateau Tower
  • Mementos
  • Yggdrasil’s Altar
  • Spiral Mountain
  • King of Fighters Stadium
  • Garreg Mach Monastery
  • Spring Stadium
oh, so itss an actual fun tournament?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So yeah, $700 worth of Switch games. That's at least 10 full-blown AAA games.
Wow that's a lot. Too bad I can't beat anyone who isn't absolute trash at the game...or even have Nintendo Switch Online...

Well that makes me feel a little better. Even most competitive players don't stand a chance.

• Peach’s Castle
  • Kongo Jungle
...really? Did they not learn that this was a terrible idea? I can understand being pretty liberal with the stagelist (imo the current stagelist goes too far in the other direction), but why add stages that have been proven to cause 1v1s to grind to a halt?

EDIT: I was confusing Peach's Castle with Princess Peach's Castle. Peach's Castle isn't nearly as problematic (it's awkward, but it doesn't kill 1v1s), but my point still stands on stages like Princess Peach's Castle and Kongo Jungle.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Yeah, they wouldn't release a character in the middle of a tournament, it wouldn't be fair and banning the character from it would be a bad look.

We've still got about a month to go before the reveal imo.
Are you sure they wouldn’t release a character in the middle of the tournament? Nintendo’s priorities for making tournaments seem to be way different from those of most TO’s. If they were to release a character in the middle (or finals) of a tournament, I’d imagine they’d want to try to play up the hype of a new challenger suddenly appearing to mix things up.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'll still participate if they're splitting up people by regions like last time.

Only person I need to fear kicking my ass is YoseFu. Again. Man plays Simon too good for my brain to handle. :096: He beat the **** out of me last time.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Are you sure they wouldn’t release a character in the middle of the tournament? Nintendo’s priorities for making tournaments seem to be way different from those of most TO’s. If they were to release a character in the middle (or finals) of a tournament, I’d imagine they’d want to try to play up the hype of a new challenger suddenly appearing to mix things up.
I could see them doing it after grand finals, but only if it was a televised event.

SKX31

Smash Master
Do I get at least $100 if I get the highest?
Yup:
  • A. One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive 10,000 My Nintendo Gold Points (ARV $100)
  • B. Nine (9) First Prize winners will each receive 4000 My Nintendo Gold Points (ARV $40 each).
  • C. Ten (10) Second Prize winners will each receive 2500 My Nintendo Gold Points (ARV $25 each).
Total ARV of all prizes: $710 US.

Turns out it's all-online for the first NA tournament, which is different from the Japanese tournaments which have had an offline Finals:

(Edited to include the correct VoD)

Perhaps they'll go LAN finals for an upcoming NA (or EU) tournament?

...really? Did they not learn that this was a terrible idea? I can understand being pretty liberal with the stagelist (imo the current stagelist goes too far in the other direction), but why add stages that have been proven to cause 1v1s to grind to a halt?
That baffles me too, honestly. The reason I can think of is that they're recognized stages... and that there is enough pressure within NoA to have this be a more fun-oriented tournament. Still though, the prizes are only going to worsen things since people will want to maximize their scores and land in the Top 20.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That baffles me too, honestly. The reason I can think of is that they're recognized stages... and that there is enough pressure within NoA to have this be a more fun-oriented tournament. Still though, the prizes are only going to worsen things since people will want to maximize their scores and land in the Top 20.
I do think they could have done that without allowing stages with prime camping spots like Kongo Jungle, Princess Peach's Castle, Corneria, Bridge of Eldin, Pilotwings etc.

Keeping in crazy stages like Norfair and stages that are banned for only slight problems or redundancy is a good way to go for this kind of thing, but I wouldn't include any of the stages where the best option is to do nothing for the most part. Unless they're doing free-for-alls, which is an incredibly different dynamic.

EDIT: I also wouldn't include items either, but I just don't like items in 1v1s. Too much stuff to focus on.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

Does this event mean no Smash reveal next week?

D

Deleted member

I’d would actually participate in this tournament..........

If my left joycon wasn’t drifting.... :glare:

SKX31

Smash Master
I do think they could have done that without allowing stages with prime camping spots like Kongo Jungle, Princess Peach's Castle, Corneria, Bridge of Eldin, Pilotwings etc.

Keeping in crazy stages like Norfair and stages that are banned for only slight problems or redundancy is a good way to go for this kind of thing, but I wouldn't include any of the stages where the best option is to do nothing for the most part. Unless they're doing free-for-alls, which is an incredibly different dynamic.

EDIT: I also wouldn't include items either, but I just don't like items in 1v1s. Too much stuff to focus on.
Aaaand it's a 1v1 tournament, 4 stocks 7:00 mins. With Hazards On. And FS Meter.

Camping and sharking is going to be rampant in that tournament mode. Which is a shame, because I agree that crazy stages or those with slight problems could work for a more fun ruleset.

Those camping / sharking spots are going to benefit Peach / Daisy players so much (because they can cover with turnips or float aerials - oh and have the FS as a backup), plus those characters with great anti-air options like the shotos / Terry. Oh and Sonic of course.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So...

Does this event mean no Smash reveal next week?
I think it'd be funny if they dropped a new character right before the tourney and all the low-level brackets were just swamped with them.

It's not like Nintendo gives a **** about enforcing conditions conducive to a tourney.

Aaaand it's a 1v1 tournament, 4 stocks 7:00 mins. With Hazards On. And FS Meter.

Camping and sharking is going to be rampant in that tournament mode. Which is a shame, because I agree that crazy stages or those with slight problems could work for a more fun ruleset.

Those camping / sharking spots are going to benefit Peach / Daisy players so much (because they can cover with turnips or float aerials - oh and have the FS as a backup), plus those characters with great anti-air options like the shotos / Terry. Oh and Sonic of course.
Nintendo the king of one step forward two steps back

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man, y'all are impatient. Like seriously it's only been like 3 months since Min Min's reveal.

Can I also remind you of the Joker-Hero/Banjo gap?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Man, y'all are impatient. Like seriously it's only been like 3 months since Min Min's reveal.

Can I also remind you of the Joker-Hero/Banjo gap?
Yeah, between Joker and Hero/Banjo reveal it was two months.

Unless you're talking about the Joker reveal to the Hero/Banjo reveal when we got two characters in the interim.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Weren't you just going on about how a reveal is happening shortly because of Amiibo theory?
I was, I'm still being optimistic about it given October 4-10 could still fall in line with the theory, if not I admit another pattern that yet again Sakurai has broken.
Unless you're talking about the Joker reveal to the Hero/Banjo reveal when we got two characters in the interim.
That's what I was referring to.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A dearth of news in general is going to make a wait multiply tenfold. That's probably something for everyone to keep in mind; Lockdown has caused our perception of time to slow, so even though we're still around the upper-average of the waits so far it feels like we've waited an entire year for more news.

I've seen people take issue with FP2 taking nine months, but personally, I only count FP2 as starting with Min Min's release. We'd probably only have to wait the standard three months between her and Byleth, but she was explicitly stated as having to be delayed due to balancing issues and her unique playstyle. And besides, it took about 7-8 months between the confirmation of FP1 and Joker's actual release. Said wait was divided by Joker's announcement, after which we knew nothing besides the fact that Piranha Plant and Joker were coming eventually. This is nothing new; 2019's schedule just spoiled us and made us forget.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Coming up is another moveset for a character by BrawlFan1. Not sure how many of you watch his videos.

I like BrawlFan1, but Danganronpa does not appeal to me AT ALL.
I got spoiled on the story and from what I have seen, it came off as WAY too pretentious for my liking.
Ultimate despair my &@$!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom