• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, just to make sure: Most people are at least expecting something of any kind next week, right? Like, not even Smash, but some kind of Nintendo announcement for something. After all, this week's Partner Direct was the fifth week in a row where they've shown off something of any kind.
I'm fully expecting Hyrule Warriors 2 news on Saturday the 26th, yes.

Shroob

Sup?
So, just to make sure: Most people are at least expecting something of any kind next week, right? Like, not even Smash, but some kind of Nintendo announcement for something. After all, this week's Partner Direct was the fifth week in a row where they've shown off something of any kind.
The first 2 days are holidays in Japan, and next week has both Hyrule Warriors news on Saturday and the TGS.

Possible, but for right now, I'm just focused on the Hyrule Warriors news being it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm expecting that Nintendo will do something next week. Then again, I'd be willing to count next week as an exception to the pattern if Nintendo doesn't directly share anything because two of the Switch's upcoming exclusives, Monster Hunter Rise and Age of Calamity, are being shown off at TGS.

Shroob

Sup?
The Hyrule Warriors info is being presented by Koei, I'm assuming it shouldn't effect any announcements that Nintendo may do I've assumed before and have been wrong.
Then I'm honestly expecting Crown Tundra.

Considering that they dropped a teaser trailer, to me at least, seems like that was a little signal that news was coming soon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Hyrule Warriors info is being presented by Koei, I'm assuming it shouldn't effect any announcements that Nintendo may do I've assumed before and have been wrong.
I'm expecting all of the HW2 stuff at TGS to be presented without much involvement from Nintendo, since Koei-Tecmo is publishing the title over there, but as far as localizing and publishing it elsewhere goes, that's when Nintendo seems to take over. So I do wonder how much presentations outside Japan will be lead by KT versus Ninty.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not really. I kind of expect the Hyrule Warriors stuff to be the only Nintendo news next week.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I personally really, really doubt a reveal next week. If it's happening this month, I'd say 28th, 29th, or 30th or bust, IMHO.

And while I think going as long as November is a bit too pessimistic for my liking, I could see us waiting as long as the second week of October for news. One thing I'd caution people on for the last three days of September though is that Animal Crossing has to drop news on the Halloween update very soon, as that event will probably be all month long like Bunny Day was.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Call it foolish optimism, but I think some time in the next two weeks seems viable. It would roughly fit the Amiibo theory, not be that different from some of the longer wait times between fighters in the first pass, and be a big event for the early fall when seemingly every other potential major announcement (first party reveal, partner showcase, indie direct, Pokemon presentation) is still some ways off.

A lot of what's been shown off as of late has had a common element of being a bit time sensitive. Indie directs and partner showcases are likely negotiated with companies for certain dates, the Mario 35th anniversary was a package that needed to get the word out about the 3D Mario All Stars Collection, and both Hyrule Warriors 2 and Monster Hunter Rise were best revealed before the Tokyo Game Show. But assuming Fighter 7 is done (and neither Nintendo nor Sakurai have given any indication that progress on that has been overtly affected), then it is the one piece of big news that would be least affected by any sort of timetable and would be safest to not show off until now.

I have doubts about anything close to a double reveal, but a single Sakurai presents with reveal when the last month and half has been Nintendo finally getting in the routine of weekly news?

I can see it.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Call it foolish optimism, but I think some time in the next two weeks seems viable. It would roughly fit the Amiibo theory, not be that different from some of the longer wait times between fighters in the first pass, and be a big event for the early fall when seemingly every other potential major announcement (first party reveal, partner showcase, indie direct, Pokemon presentation) is still some ways off.

A lot of what's been shown off as of late has had a common element of being a bit time sensitive. Indie directs and partner showcases are likely negotiated with companies for certain dates, the Mario 35th anniversary was a package that needed to get the word out about the 3D Mario All Stars, and both Hyrule Warriors 2 and Monster Hunter Rise were best revealed before the Tokyo Game Show. But assuming Fighter 7 is done (and neither Nintendo nor Sakurai have given any indication that progress on that has been overtly affected), then it is the one piece of big news that would be least affected by any sort of timetable and would be safest to not show off until now.

I have doubts about anything close to a double reveal, but a single Sakurai presents with reveal when the last month and half has been Nintendo finally getting in the routine of weekly news?

I can see it.
In fact,

Shroob

Sup?

A lot of what's been shown off as of late has had a common element of being a bit time sensitive. Indie directs and partner showcases are likely negotiated with companies for certain dates, the Mario 35th anniversary was a package that needed to get the word out about the 3D Mario All Stars Collection, and both Hyrule Warriors 2 and Monster Hunter Rise were best revealed before the Tokyo Game Show. But assuming Fighter 7 is done (and neither Nintendo nor Sakurai have given any indication that progress on that has been overtly affected), then it is the one piece of big news that would be least affected by any sort of timetable and would be safest to not show off until now.

I can see it.
I think we can all see it just fine.

The question is will it happen, to which, none of us can say one way or another. We definitely want it to happen no doubt, but as it stands, it's better to be cautiously optimistic than "OH YEAH TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!" like a certain user's being.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Something that I don't think has been brought up yet, but there's a Special Edition for DMC 5 with a playable Vergil.
Honestly with this announcement I don't think Monster Hunter is being pushed more than Devil May Cry is, I think they're being pushed around the same level. So I feel as though Dante and Monster Hunter are equally as likely as the Capcom rep.

SKX31

Smash Master
What I suspect you're actually planning to do:

main-qimg-065cd0d20fec596617c3bc63a24bd237-c.jpg

:4pacman:

Something that I don't think has been brought up yet, but there's a Special Edition for DMC 5 with a playable Vergil.

Honestly with this announcement I don't think Monster Hunter is being pushed more than Devil May Cry is, I think they're being pushed around the same level. So I feel as though Dante and Monster Hunter are equally as likely as the Capcom rep.
Honestly, I find it really difficult to call if MH or Dante's more likely, or if they're on relatively equal ground. Yes, Monster Hunter has the more obvious Nintendo connection + two games (or even more) they can readily pull from should MH be included. But at the same time Dante's got some precedence from Bayonetta, and isn't neccessarily hampered by the relative lack of a Nintendo connection (as Cloud and Joker especially showed).

(Not so sure that Monster Hunter would have precedence from Byleth, albeit the two share some overarching elements like multiple weapons.)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
What I suspect you're actually planning to do:

View attachment 286079

:4pacman:

Honestly, I find it really difficult to call if MH or Dante's more likely, or if they're on relatively equal ground. Yes, Monster Hunter has the more obvious Nintendo connection + two games (or even more) they can readily pull from should MH be included. But at the same time Dante's got some precedence from Bayonetta, and isn't neccessarily hampered by the relative lack of a Nintendo connection (as Cloud and Joker especially showed).

(Not so sure that Monster Hunter would have precedence from Byleth, albeit the two share some overarching elements like multiple weapons.)
The 40 cakes thing...
That's canon.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter are Capcom's frontrunners right now. Personally, I'm leaning towards Monster Hunter due to them having an exclusive title that's already being pushed pretty heavily by Nintendo right off the bat, but seeing as we've gotten less Nintendo-focused reps before like Cloud and Joker, I'd say that Dante's right on their heels.

In the meantime, it's only four more days until I can listen to Virgil's new theme, Bury the Light, without all the one-liners and clanging of swords. Only four more days...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Devil May Cry V isn't on the Switch though, so Monster Hunter is still Nintendo's most appealing (and there for the far more likely) option.

D

Deleted member

Don't expect it to be on Monday or Tuesday; those days are Holidays in Japan. If we get a reveal of any kind, it'll be Wednesday or later.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think Monster Hunter is now the big frontrunner for the next Capcom character in Smash. Unless Capcom at their TGS presentation suddenly announces a Switch-exclusive Devil May Cry game and/or a brand new Ace Attorney game (both of which are entirely possible), the one-two punch of Rise and Stories 2 currently gives Monster Hunter a big advantage over Dante and Phoenix Wright.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ok I've never played Monster hunter, but I just think about something. What if instead of the Hunter, we have the Felyne. From what I see it's pretty much the series mascot, having a lot of marchandies based around it. When Monster hunter do crossover, it often involved the Felyne in some way or another ( for example the Felyne appears in Animal crossing new leaf, in Meatl gear solid peace walker and made cameo in Marvel vs Capcom 3 before the Hunter was playable later in Marvel vs Capcom infinite). The Felyne is popular enough to have his own Spin-off series in Japan. And from what I could find on the internet they do help to fight and they use different weapons and gadgets.

How would Monster hunter fans react to this? Is that possible? Is that a good outcome or the Hunter would be better?

Attachments

Last edited:

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet
I think people focus too much on which character has a new game coming out tbh. I mean, look at the first pass. Out of the third parties, Hero was the only one who had a Switch-exclusive title coming out.
I don't think this new Monster Hunter game impacts the chances of an MH rep much, he's just as likely as he was before in my eyes. Capcom rep could easily be a MH character and it could easily be Dante, I don't think one has much of an edge over the other. MH's stronger Nintendo connection doesn't really give MH the edge since Nintendo clearly isn't just prioritizing characters who have strong Nintendo connections, examples being Joker and Cloud.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ok I've never played Monster hunter, but I just think about something. What if instead of the Hunter, we have the Felyne. From what I see it's pretty much the series mascot, having a lot of marchandies based around it. When Monster hunter do crossover, it often involved the Felyne in some way or another ( for example the Felyne appears in Animal crossing new leaf, in Meatl gear solid peace walker and made cameo in Marvel vs Capcom 3 before the Hunter was playable later in Marvel vs Capcom infinite). The Felyne is popular enough to have his own Spin-off series in Japan. And from what I could find on the internet they do help to fight and they use different weapons and gadgets.

How would Monster hunter fans react to this? Is that possible? Is that a good outcome or the Hunter would be better?
I still feel that the Hunters would be used, as they make up the majority of the player's weaponry; When I checked the MH:GU demo, the ratio of Hunter weapons to Felyne weapons was 14:1. It's kinda like Villager and Isabelle; The animal gets the marketing spotlight, but the player character is ultimately the star of the show.
I think people focus too much on which character has a new game coming out tbh. I mean, look at the first pass. Out of the third parties, Hero was the only one who had a Switch-exclusive title coming out.
I don't think this new Monster Hunter game impacts the chances of an MH rep much, he's just as likely as he was before in my eyes. Capcom rep could easily be a MH character and it could easily be Dante, I don't think one has much of an edge over the other. MH's stronger Nintendo connection doesn't really give MH the edge since Nintendo clearly isn't just prioritizing characters who have strong Nintendo connections, examples being Joker and Cloud.
Yeah, we do have a habit of doing that. We're only really talking about Monster Hunter's strengths now that it's been featured in a direct. On the flipside, now we actually are talking about them. We should've been doing that much earlier, but hey, better late than never.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Present developments may not literally increase the chances that any given character will be picked because they already have been. However, they do (or at least, can) increase the chances that they were picked. Imo, the two new Monster Hunter games alongside the lack of a new Devil May Cry game on Switch makes Monster Hunter way more likely than Devil May Cry due to the easy and impactful cross promotion that one has and the other doesn't.

They may not be focusing on Nintendo related IPs, but if they're given the choice between something that's supporting them and something that's not at the moment, why would they not go for the former?

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Still feeling Dante TBH. I really do feel the overall timing and different things surrounding him push him above even MH for me. Time will tell in the end, though.

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet
Present developments may not literally increase the chances that any given character will be picked because they already have been. However, they do (or at least, can) increase the chances that they were picked. Imo, the two new Monster Hunter games alongside the lack of a new Devil May Cry game on Switch makes Monster Hunter way more likely than Devil May Cry due to the easy and impactful cross promotion that one has and the other doesn't.

They may not be focusing on Nintendo related IPs, but if they're given the choice between something that's supporting them and something that's not at the moment, why would they not go for the former?
Joker was picked over an SMT rep despite SMT5 being one of the first exclusive third party games announced for the Switch. Banjo was picked over Steve despite Minecraft being a best-seller on the Switch. What game is on a Nintendo platform at the moment isn't what Nintendo is mainly focusing on when picking these characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Joker was picked over an SMT rep despite SMT5 being one of the first exclusive third party games announced for the Switch. Banjo was picked over Steve despite Minecraft being a best-seller on the Switch. What game is on a Nintendo platform at the moment isn't what Nintendo is mainly focusing on when picking these characters.
To be fair, if SMT5 was going to be a couple years off from when the DLC was chosen that's kind of a blow to their chances, at least for SMT5 person. With MHR, it's releasing during the DLC's run while also being an exclusive, which gives it more of an edge than just "new release."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As SharkLord SharkLord says, Shin Megamei Tensei V wasn't far enough along to be factored into a pick from Atlus (and judging by how little we've seen, it probably still isn't).

As for Minecraft, it may have sold well, but it's didn't also get any new releases during the fighters pass like Monster Hunter is; the cross promotion isn't as strong due to the lack of a game that's shiny and new. Banjo-Kazooie didn't have that either, but they did have a bunch of fan demand, so it's easy to see why Minecraft and Banjo-Kazooie were on equal footing. Dante, on the other hand, doesn't really have this, as his popularity surged after the pass was decided, and his shiny new game is on every console but the Switch. Because of this, I don't think it's right to say that Devil May Cry is as likely as Monster Hunter unless this is going to be rectified fairly soon. I do recognize that this is not an impossibility, but there's currently nothing to suggest that it will happen, and thus, my verdict remains the same.

Hmm...actually, after considering the possibility of a Devil May Cry V port rather than assuming it wasn't a thing (since the absence of evidence for it isn't a disconfirmation for it), I will change my prediction slightly. I do still think that Monster Hunter is currently the more likely option, but the possibility of the Devil May Cry V port does keep Dante from being an unlikely pick.

Unless Nintendo dream is announcing Miitomo is coming back, Idc
Inb4 it's Tomodachi Life 2.

I wonder...do you think we'll see any Mii-centric games in the future? I kind of feel like the Miis are being phased out.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'd find it kind of jarring tbh if Monster Hunter doesn't get in. It was such a huge deal for Nintendo for a generation and a half. It's about the closest thing you could have gotten to the MegaMan/Nintendo association in the modern day.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
I mean. He got 4 Spirits and an AT in the base game, he'd need to be pretty damn popular to get that. While I agree we're probably not getting any Indies, let's not pretend it's because they're not big enough when they've been given more love in Smash than some AAA games like Fallout and Assassin's Creed
Getting four spirits doesn't really prove much IMO.

Shovel Knight came out at the perfect time to fit into Smash 4's DLC hour of hype and I'm sure it benefited from that and got some good voting in, which would explain why he was the only indie character to show up as an assist trophy in the next game (I think). Now it's been over 5 years and Shovel Knight is still an active franchise, but there are many indie franchises with far more active communities and much higher sales. I'm comfortable saying Shovel Knight isn't notable enough for them to make him playable.

I'd find it kind of jarring tbh if Monster Hunter doesn't get in. It was such a huge deal for Nintendo for a generation and a half. It's about the closest thing you could have gotten to the MegaMan/Nintendo association in the modern day.
Hopefully they don’t just look at the Rathalos assist trophy/boss as “good enough” for Monster Hunter representation. A playable rep would be amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom