• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What do you mean, "make you cancel"? It was never real in the first place, that announcement was a collective hallucination.

There is no Fighters Pass 2, only Small Battlefield.
Then how, pray tell, do you explain Min Min?! Was she individual DLC that somehow came with a stage and music all along??

SKX31

Smash Master
Inb4 it's Tomodachi Life 2.

I wonder...do you think we'll see any Mii-centric games in the future? I kind of feel like the Miis are being phased out.
Nooope. While the option is still there, Nintendo evidently do not see the Miis as centerpieces of their console ecosystem anymore. And honestly, part of the problem is that the Miis didn't have any defining games to their name outside of Wii Sports / Wii Play. That's more of a problem for the Miis since they were meant to be the player avatars. The Mii games on the Wii weren't especially successful, and Miis are far from as integral to the Switch as they were to the Wii consoles.

Then how, pray tell, do you explain Min Min?! Was she individual DLC that somehow came with a stage and music all along??
Min Min was Sakurai's personal gift to ESAM and other pro players just to show how stupidly good attacks that can reach halfway across the stage can be. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Maybe....... If the next DLC fighter is from Super Mario......

Maybe they didn’t show them off in the Mario Direct because they thought the fighter announcement would potentially overshadow everything else shown in said direct?
Yes, even 3D All Stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
The entire series only just now sold 3 million, 5 games over 18 years and only 3 million sales in total.
You do realize stretching that evenly across 18 years is sort of folly?

The original bombed with only a few thousand units and Risky's Revenge was but a cult classic. No doubt they contributed a very insignificant fraction of that 3 million, and it actually streched mostly across a system generation between only a couple games base on the time of that interview.

Roughly the same time of that blue burrower, in fact.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Maybe....... If the next DLC fighter is from Super Mario......

Maybe they didn’t show them off in the Mario Direct because they thought the fighter announcement would potentially overshadow everything else?
Yes, even 3D All Stars.
I feel like if that was the case they would have just said "A new Super Mario Character is joining Super Smash Bros." If they just did that not only would it not take away from the rest of the presentation but It would also Justify the lateness of the Mario tournament and make the presentation more hype. also at this point now that almost all of the Mario stuff is out unless it ties directly into one of them I can't really see it.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly the one reason I could see a Mario character getting revealed apart from the anniversary direct is that Nintendo believed that it was notable enough to warrant its own video. Why package it in with in another presentation when a mystery Sakurai Presents by itself could easily get a lot of attention and be the biggest news of any week?

They have been keen on spreading out certain type of announcements over several weeks as of late.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly the one reason I could see a Mario character getting revealed apart from the anniversary direct is that Nintendo believed that it was notable enough to warrant its own video. Why package it in with in another presentation when a mystery Sakurai Presents by itself could easily get a lot of attention and be the biggest news of any week?

They have been keen on spreading out certain type of announcements over several weeks as of late.
At the same time, they know how much people want Waluigi so giving a hint at the possibility of Waluigi will make headlines regardless

cashregister9

Smash Hero
At the same time, they know how much people want Waluigi so giving a hint at the possibility of Waluigi will make headlines regardless
Is that really something that Nintendo of Japan would care about though? I would understand it if NOA or NOE were making it.

EDIT: Disregard this I misinterpreted the original

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is that really something that Nintendo of Japan would care about though? I would understand it if NOA or NOE were making it.
I can imagine Waluigi's a popular pick in Japan amongst casual audiences too, it'd also have people talking about Smash more as the second pass really hasn't been selling, so hyping it up would get more people talkinf and buying

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I can imagine Waluigi's a popular pick in Japan amongst casual audiences too, it'd also have people talking about Smash more as the second pass really hasn't been selling, so hyping it up would get more people talkinf and buying
I initially misinterpreted your post I get what you are saying now

(I thought you were saying an announcement might imply waluigi so they would remove the announcement my brain is just dumb)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
yes, it's time for everyone's least favorite image leak:

can anyone check if the number of the person claiming to have done it matches up with the original 4chan post a year ago, and/or find the thread this is happening in and see if he says any more?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

can anyone check if the number of the person claiming to have done it matches up with the original 4chan post a year ago, and/or find the thread this is happening in and see if he says any more?
4chan is full of trolls. That anon is likely to be one of many.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm reasonably certain that it is impossible to find specific users on 4chan because y'know everyone is anonymous.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

It only just occurred to me that this leak's been sitting round for almost a year now. If we've gone through twelve fighters, spread out between both Byleth and Min Min, and including a different Bethesda costume without a single appearance from either, I have very little faith in this rumor. If we get to CP7 and still no dice, I think it's safe to pull the plug. Permanently.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean if someone definitively came out and claimed to have faked it that would be ideal, that way it can be put out of its misery earlier

i know some french hackers claimed to have made it on discord, but it can't be verified

SKX31

Smash Master
You mean this?

:4pacman:
It only just occurred to me that this leak's been sitting round for almost a year now. If we've gone through twelve fighters, spread out between both Byleth and Min Min, and including a different Bethesda costume without a single appearance from either, I have very little faith in this rumor. If we get to CP7 and still no dice, I think it's safe to pull the plug. Permanently.
I mean if someone definitively came out and claimed to have faked it that would be ideal, that way it can be put out of its misery earlier

i know some french hackers claimed to have made it on discord, but it can't be verified
...You know what we need right now?

:4dedede:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
With this whole Cacomallow leak Why did people immediately go to "These 2 hats immediately confirm Geno and Doom guy" IF this was real maybe they would add a Cacodemon hat because it is one of the most iconic Enemies in video games? and they might add a mallow hat because he makes a good hat? cacomallow is hella fake though so there is really no debate.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
With this whole Cacomallow leak Why did people immediately go to "These 2 hats immediately confirm Geno and Doom guy" IF this was real maybe they would add a Cacodemon hat because it is one of the most iconic Enemies in video games? and they might add a mallow hat because he makes a good hat? cacomallow is hella fake though so there is really no debate.
I don't doubt that it's hella fake. Especially when Vault Boy was added before - and at least separate from - any Cacodemon / Mallow hats. That said:

I'm not surprised that it lead to people jumping into conclusions, especially since the mere possibility of those two hats existing would implicitedly confirm the two "more prominent" characters, those being Geno and the Slayer respectively.

The discussion is so heavily framed around who's playable and who's not that Mii costumes associated with the characters could easily be interpreted as "a sign" of sorts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

v6f1vJ2w8bOT5GeYUoAV6Y4b5qFnJqBRgCsujRgCKVo.jpg

By the way, it was me who wrote that post ;)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Min Min? Byleth? What are you talking about it is early 2018 and they just announced a new smash game and Inkling is in it!
did you see that sick new leak? Decidueye + Spring Man? That's the dream. Imagie if they threw that golden oppertunity and added Incineroar, what a tragedy that would be.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Plus, about the Cacomallow leak, isn't the Doom franchise owned by a company owned by Bethesda? I mean, if so, it would be unlikely that Bethesda would add another thing from one of their franchises in any way after making that Vault Boy Mii Costume for Smash Ultimate, even from another company they happen to own. Any attempts at reasoning against all that by Geno fans is just, to me, pushing for wishful thinking, no offense.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Ok. And? This doesn't change how they chose to get a surprising amount of content from Shovel Knight instead of other indie games
It means Shovel Knight had fortuitous timing and its heyday happened to coincide with the smash brothers poll, which I think is why it enjoyed more content in SSBU than other indie games. It's still a successful indie game, I just think people in the ssb community overestimate its reach and I don't think it'll ever get a playable fighter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plus, about the Cacomallow leak, isn't the Doom franchise owned by a company owned by Bethesda? I mean, if so, it would be unlikely that Bethesda would add another thing from one of their franchises in any way after making that Vault Boy Mii Costume for Smash Ultimate, even from another company they happen to own. Any attempts at reasoning against all that by Geno fans is just, to me, pushing for wishful thinking, no offense.
I disagree, as it's not a case of needless renegotiation, but rather, a second negotiation for something else, which is possibly something that would be necessary regardless of what those negotiations are for.

Don't get me wrong, the leak is so fake it's not even funny, but I don't think a Bethesda character is disconfirmed, just a Fallout character.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I disagree, as it's not a case of needless renegotiation, but rather, a second negotiation for something else, which is possibly something that was necessary regardless of what those negotiations are for.

Don't get me wrong, the leak is so fake it's not even funny, but I don't think a Bethesda character is disconfirmed, just a Fallout character.
Maybe. Still, so far, as we haven't gotten much news or leaks about a Bethesda character, I would not bet on it. Even if we do get a Cacodemon costume, that is no guarantee a Doom character will come alongside that.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I was very skeptical on day 1.

I already pulled the plug with Terry, then cremated it when Byleth was shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom