• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's absolutely a clickbait YouTuber. All of the "leaks" I've seen him cover recently are just about the biggest stretches ever. Like, they showed a triangle. Triangles are a part of Geno's real name. That means Geno's gonna be in Smash. Illuminati confirmed. EDIT: I really can't see why anyone would believe that kind of logic.
Wait... y’all are really clowning on PapaGenos meanwhile everyone is over here every single day coming up with crazy theories as to when we might possibly get some Smash news? Hypocrisy at its finest. PapaGenos is still the most respectable Smash Speculation channel around. He flat out says when he doesn’t believe something is real but he just felt like discussing it. It’s just been a slow year for Smash, among everything else

Last edited:

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet
He's absolutely a clickbait YouTuber. All of the "leaks" I've seen him cover recently are just about the biggest stretches ever. Like, they showed a triangle. Triangles are a part of Geno's real name. That means Geno's gonna be in Smash. Illuminati confirmed. EDIT: I really can't see why anyone would believe that kind of logic.
Tbf he often says in the videos that he doesn't believe the leaks he's covering. Yea he covers some really crazy dumb theories but he rarely agrees with them, he just likes sharing the stuff that the Smash community comes up with.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wait... y’all are really clowning on PapaGenos meanwhile everyone is over here every single day coming up with crazy theories as to when we might possibly get some Smash news? Hypocrisy at its finest. PapaGenos is still the most respectable Smash Speculation channel around. He flat out says when he doesn’t believe something is real but he just felt like discussing it. It’s just been a slow year for Smash, among everything else

When did anybody here speculate about triangles?

KillerCage

Smash Master
You really wanna go there, huh? Alright, I'll give you a somewhat close to full breakdown on this. But not right away - there's a lot of ground to cover. I think it might also be better for the thread as a whole if I PM you that explanation, if you don't mind. For one, because it's gonna get pretty long, as mentioned before, and because I don't want to derail this thread too much.
Sure. Through email?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If an Undertale rep is in FP2, here's how I have to imagine it went

Sakurai: Toby, I'm adding a Sans costume
Toby: OK, have a Megalovania on the house
( Sans costume releases, sells extraordinarily and almost overshadows Terry)
Sakurai: ok we're adding a full Undertale rep
Toby: ok
Developer: but Sakurai, all five characters in Volume 2 have been selected!
Sakurai: then we're adding a sixth.
You're forgetting the part where Sakurai does not choose the characters in the fighters pass.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
I only watch PapaGenos every now and then, I don't think too much of his theory videos as most of his speculation/theories nowadays are very reaching to the point where I don't take those videos seriously.

I don't think he's nearly as bad as other channels that do Smash DLC videos (like for instance, Blocked Content), but I do think PapaGeno's videos are degrading in quality and his speculation videos are getting worse and worse imo.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of those games that has no middle ground.

It is either the best game of all time, or an atrocious game. That is what I have seen from many Xenoblade Chronicles fans on the internet.
My take on Xenoblade 2 was always that it could have been an amazing game, but it needed more time in the oven and better character design. It does a lot of things right with gameplay except that it takes too long to introduce some of its mechanics. The story also has a lot of potential, but doesn't fully commit to a lot of its more interesting ideas, to the point where I personally felt that it needed an extra chapter or two. The game's ending is legitimately really good, but I don't feel like the game set it up super well. It also could use better character design on some of its characters, specifically Pyra (the design isn't that bad, but it doesn't fit her character) and some of the extra blades. While not necessarily the biggest deal, visuals are in your face, so it's a big ask to tell people to shrug them off.

Basically, I'm in the camp saying it's a good game, but could be improved. I love the combat, especially once it gets going, and I like where the story was going, but it didn't quite land for me. It's almost more frustrating when you can see missed potential in something that could have been amazing than when that thing is just bad.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You're forgetting the part where Sakurai does not choose the characters in the fighters pass.
He definitely has input:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.
In my eyes, I see this as Nintendo sets the stage with a list, saying "Here's who we're willing to get, what can you make happen?" and then Sakurai looks it over, discusses it with his team, and then informs Nintendo "I think these will work." I could be wrong, but those are the vibes I get from this quote.

I think people oversell and fixate on the "Nintendo picks the fighters" part of this quote and misinterpret it a lot. It's definitely more of a collaborative effort between the two than some may think, IMO.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
PapaGenos has gotten progressively worse over the life of Ultimate. Enough to where, yes, I would count him as a clickbait YouTuber.

The guy has a likeable personality, but he makes a video for anything and everything, regardless of how baseless or insignificant his talking points might be.
He used to be, like, a regular here. You could find posts by him back when he was just starting out.

I used to watch a bit of PapaGenos, but I stopped after his Byleth rant. He was just too annoying for me.
I stopped after his Byleth hoax. The rant I agreed with.

I can understand this meme, but Monster Hunter is literally being promoted as much as Dragon Quest XI S, and :ulthero: got in Smash. Not to forget that Monster Hunter is one of Capcom's best selling series.
It's also almost on the same level as DQ when it comes to ridiculous popularity in Japan.

Like, I WANT the next Capcom rep to be Arthur, but if it's MH, I'll completely understand.

I've been thinking about Indie games recently and since Smash Bros. will never leave my brain I was thinking about them in the context of the game and if one will be added and who it will be. I think an Indie character is an when rather than if question at this point.
I think indie characters will continue to be relegated to Mii costumes.

Between him, Etna and Prinny. Prinny is the mascot, but Etna is extremely iconic to the series despite not being the first protagonist like Laharl is.
The loli succubus though is not for good boys and girls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He definitely has input:

In my eyes, I see this as Nintendo sets the stage with a list, saying "Here's who we're willing to get, what can you make happen?" and then Sakurai looks it over, discusses it with his team, and then informs Nintendo "I think these will work." I could be wrong, but those are the vibes I get from this quote.

I think people oversell and fixate on the "Nintendo picks the fighters" part of this quote and misinterpret it a lot. It's definitely more of a collaborative effort between the two than some may think, IMO.
Good point!

I think Nintendo probably picked :ultbylethf: and :ultminmin for Sakurai. Nintendo made Sakurai play and finish Three Houses before the game was released. Min Min was probably done as an attempt to hype up ARMS so Nintendo can get a larger audience for ARMS 2. I am not saying ARMS was dead before Min Min, but Min Min being in Smash helps a lot.

Sakurai was more enthusiastic about :ulthero: and :ult_terry:. Garteam in his post below provides a good explanation on Hero. Not saying Terry is a Sakurai pick, but you can tell there was a lot of bias in favor of Terry out of all of those presentations. It was easy to tell Sakurai was a huge SNK fan.

I am unsure about the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Nintendo probably picked :ultbylethf:,:ulthero:, and :ultminmin for Sakurai.
Hero was picked by Sakurai for the base game, then booted to DLC because Sugiyama wanted too much of the pie for licensing his music. Just because a character has a major release on the Switch doesn't automatically mean they're a Nintendo pick. Even then, the idea of "Nintendo picks" and "Sakurai picks" is kinda misleading, seeing how character selection is implied to be a joint effort.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hero was picked by Sakurai for the base game, then booted to DLC because Sugiyama wanted too much of the pie for licensing his music. Just because a character has a major release on the Switch doesn't automatically mean they're a Nintendo pick. Even then, the idea of "Nintendo picks" and "Sakurai picks" is kinda misleading, seeing character selection is implied to be a joint effort.
Oh, my bad. Thank you for letting me know.

MooMew64

Hey guys...

What do you think of this? Apparently, three maintenances happen on the 28th.
Could mean something, could mean nothing. Time will tell. It lines up with amiibo Theory, but maintenance could be for anything: Stability, routine checks, bug fixes, heck it could even be for AC as the Holloween content is probably gonna launch soon.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Could mean something, could mean nothing. Time will tell. It lines up with amiibo Theory, but maintenance could be for anything: Stability, routine checks, bug fixes, heck it could even be for AC as the Holloween content is probably gonna launch soon.
Yeah, pretty much. I was just asking what you and others thought of this. Wasn't trying to pass it off as something related to Fighter 7.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Tokyo Game Show?

MooMew64

Yeah, pretty much. I was just asking what you and others thought of this. Wasn't trying to pass it off as something related to Fighter 7.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Tokyo Game Show?
To my knowledge, Nintendo isn't taking part at TGS (they typically don't, even in a normal year), so probably not. It's definitely interesting given the timing, but who knows what it'll be in the end.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To my knowledge, Nintendo isn't taking part at TGS (they typically don't, even in a normal year), so probably not. It's definitely interesting given the timing, but who knows what it'll be in the end.
Yeah, I figured. Though I kinda meant any of the third party games for the Switch showing up there. I mean, does Eshop maintenance cover those?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I was curious about was the relative time between FIghter's being released within the first pass in comparison to now.

Joker to Hero: 104 Days
Hero to Banjo: 46 Days
Banjo to Terry: 63 Days
Terry to Byleth: 83 Days
Average: 74 Days

Time Since Min Min's release: 81 Days

Given those numbers, something within the next three weeks wouldn't be that much of a contrast towards the first pass, all things considered.

D

Deleted member

Something I was curious about was the relative time between FIghter's being released within the first pass in comparison to now.

Joker to Hero: 104 Days
Hero to Banjo: 46 Days
Banjo to Terry: 63 Days
Terry to Byleth: 83 Days
Average: 74 Days

Time Since Min Min's release: 81 Days

Given those numbers, something within the next three weeks wouldn't be that much of a contrast towards the first pass, all things considered.
I think that average would go up once you include the Byleth to Min Min release.

Byleth was released on January 28th; Min Min on June 29th. That's 6 months; around 180 days.
That drags the average up to 78 days between releases.
78 days...typical month has 30....so, roughly 2 and a half month average between character releases.

Thats about what we figured actually. Obviously the biggest disparity is between Byleth (the last of Fighter Pass 1) and Min Min (the first of Fighter Pass 2). They may have waited longer to get started on Min Min and when coupled with COVID, that may have accounted for delayed release. After that, though, assuming FP7 releases Mid October, we'd still be on the roughly 2.5 month release average and would be able to expect the next either Late December (like the very last week) or early January.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Byleth to Min Min, its a bit trickier given that it was from one pass to another and I wanted to focus specifically with the time frame of FP1. There's also the question on whether or not you count the time between Smash's release till Joker's release as part of the average or not as well.

D

Deleted member

With Byleth to Min Min, its a bit trickier given that it was from one pass to another and I wanted to focus specifically with the time frame of FP1. There's also the question on whether or not you count the time between Smash's release till Joker's release as part of the average or not as well.
If anything, you could do Smash --> Plant and Plant --> Joker

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

When did anybody here speculate about triangles?
It was an example I gave. It isn't likely an exact theory he's covered. The line of logic though, is what I see every time someone brings up a video of his.

It also could use better character design on some of its characters, specifically Pyra (the design isn't that bad, but it doesn't fit her character) and some of the extra blades.
I'd add Brighid to this as well. Just give her a freaking normal dress, why she gotta have her crotch exposed like that? Granted, I didn't notice she was covered purely by shading down there at first, but now that I have noticed it, it will never not bug me.

I wouldn't. Piranha Plant may not have been in the pass, but it's still a DLC character with a significant wait time. I'd personally count Piranha Plant -> Joker and Byleth -> Min Min, but that's just me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey guys...

Broke: wanting a Smash update or Direct
Woke: wanting a Splatoon 2 update that prepares for the next re-ran Splatfest

I got Splatoon 2 late ok, before the reruns I only got to play Unicorn vs Narwhal (lost) and Chaos vs Order (won) so being able to play Splatfests I missed is freakin awesome

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Sure. Through email?
Nah, I'll just send you a PM on here. I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

Hey guys...

Considering that the last maintenance coincided with nothing noteworthy, I'm not holding my breath on that.

Broke: wanting a Smash update or Direct
Woke: wanting a Splatoon 2 update that prepares for the next re-ran Splatfest

I got Splatoon 2 late ok, before the reruns I only got to play Unicorn vs Narwhal (lost) and Chaos vs Order (won) so being able to play Splatfests I missed is freakin awesome
Huh? But they already announced the next Splatfest. It's the Mario one.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I must be the only person on earth that felt a bit disappointed after finishing Xenoblade Chronicles 1.
It's a great game, don't get me wrong, absolute must play for many reasons, but it just felt "okay" to me at the end while I was crying at the end of XC2.....
Must've been because I played XC2 first, and also due to how much people tend to hype up XC1's story and characters.
.....oh and I also didn't think I knew THIS much about the game's "spoilers" lol
(Edit : part of it might also be because of the people straight up trashing XC2, but whatever)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Saw someone mention the possibility of an Undertale rep in FP2 so here's my stance on it.
As much as I would love one to get in, I think it's definitely not happening in this pass. The Sans costume released after the second pass was already decided, if there was an UT rep then they'd have saved the Sans costume for that.
I would love another Undertale rep in Smash but yeah I don't think it's happening.

If it does though, I want Mettaton. Love that guy
Mettaton.gif

I.D.

Smash Lord
X is that weird black sheep of the franchise sadly.
X isn't the black sheep of anything. It just had the misfortune of being a Wii U game. I'd bet money the only reason it hasn't been ported yet is because Monolith has been busy as **** during the whole Switch era (XB2, XBDE, half the studio working on BotW, assisting with Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing, now working on BotW2 as well)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nah, I'll just send you a PM on here. I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

Considering that the last maintenance coincided with nothing noteworthy, I'm not holding my breath on that.

Huh? But they already announced the next Splatfest. It's the Mario one.
There’s a datamine thing about some Splatfest slots. The Mario one is SEL, but there are two more regular Splatfest slots I imagine they’d want to get out of the way before SEL

D

Deleted member

X is that weird black sheep of the franchise sadly.
X was my first experience with Xenoblade.. and honestly it's.. a thing. Didn't really like the plot but the overarching story and lore was definitely the highlights of it. Don't think I could stomach the original and the sequel though, if the side game is already really really dark.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This was when Mayo vs Ketchup was announced as the first rerun:

He should have more tweets on the matter

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
X was my first experience with Xenoblade.. and honestly it's.. a thing. Didn't really like the plot but the overarching story and lore was definitely the highlights of it. Don't think I could stomach the original and the sequel though, if the side game is already really really dark.
Xenoblade 1 and 2 are lighter than X, they're not that dark games.

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade 1 and 2 are lighter than X, they're not that dark games.
I dunno, from what little I've seen of 1 and 2 they look to be a bit too dark to my tastes. :drshrug: Sci-fi in general always somehow tends to make me depressed one way or another, so I avoid it whenever possible.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I must be the only person on earth that felt a bit disappointed after finishing Xenoblade Chronicles 1.
It's a great game, don't get me wrong, absolute must play for many reasons, but it just felt "okay" to me at the end while I was crying at the end of XC2.....
Must've been because I played XC2 first, and also due to how much people tend to hype up XC1's story and characters.
.....oh and I also didn't think I knew THIS much about the game's "spoilers" lol
(Edit : part of it might also be because of the people straight up trashing XC2, but whatever)
I can't speak for Xenoblade Chronicles 2's ending because I haven't seen it yet, but I really liked Xenoblade Chronicles's ending. I think people don't like the payoff for Mr. Mysterious, but I thought it was really good.

I'd bet money the only reason it hasn't been ported yet is because Monolith has been busy as **** during the whole Switch era (XB2, XBDE, half the studio working on BotW, assisting with Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing, now working on BotW2 as well)
Money is also the reason why they've said they wouldn't make a port. Perhaps that was then and this is now (and I hope it is), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don't worry. Xenoblade Chronicles does have a moment that's pretty tragic, and there is a pretty melancholy scene that stems from that (as well as a boss that's pretty messed up, but it's there to piss you off rather than make you sad), but that's about it.

Dark is the last thing I would call Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom