• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm honestly still banking on Dante if we get another capcom character.

When it comes to Capcom characters crossing over into things DMC is usually a franchise that gets priority after Resident evil, street fighter and megaman, which are already in smash.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

NO. BAD RYU. LEAVE THEM ALONE.
It's Pokemon Black and White's Anniversary. Looks like it's another round of Pokemon discussion!

Ahem, I've playing Pokemon Emerald on an emulator with a mod that adds QoL improvements. And I'm sticking to the fact that Pokemon is better in 2D for the main games than the lifeless 3D games.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's Pokemon Black and White's Anniversary. Looks like it's another round of Pokemon discussion!

Ahem, I've playing Pokemon Emerald on an emulator with a mod that adds QoL improvements. And I'm sticking to the fact that Pokemon is better in 2D for the main games than the lifeless 3D games.
Pokemon discussion, eh? Alright, here's something I don't think anyone's asked. Let's assume for a moment that Gen 4 remakes ARE happening at some point in the future. I know we already have Lucario, but if they decided to add one of the Sinnoh starters to promote it, who do you think they should add? Personally, I'm all for Emporeon. Water starters all the way, my friends!

And before anybody brings up the whole "they don't promote remakes" thing, keep in mind this POKEMON we're talking about. They've been the exception to a lot of things.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Alright, good ole fashion question time!

What is your “most” most wanted character in Smash Bros? Like... the one character, that above all else, you want in the game more than any other.

For me personally, While Young Wizard from Wizard101 is high up there in terms of my wants list(well really it’s the only reasonable one outta the bunch) I would be estactic if literally anything Bushiroad got in(I imagine a Bushiroad character would be Blaster Blade or Chronojet Dragon)

Like, a card game character has always been pretty high on my wants, but I really feel that a Bushi character would be way more interesting than just simply slapping an MtG planeswalker or Dark Magician into the game and calling it a day. Like... you have your generic sword boys... but with lazer swords(The Blasters) Fiery apoloyptic dragons(Overlord and all his various evolutions and possible future forms) but then you have some out there concepts... like bug mafia(Megacolony) Football but there’s no rules(Spike Brothers) and nom nom canabalistic cyborgs dinos(Tachikaze)
There’s a lot of content you could add with just a single Bushiroad character, although reality slaps me in the face and says it’s not happening because no anime.

:terryhat: But that’s all I gots to say about that.
Yes, above Dante. Yes, above Master Chief. Yes, above 2B. Yes, above Sora. Yes, above literally any other Kirby character.
Because only he wields a weapon strong and sharp enough to pierce through the heavens, and my heart.
Bandana Dee Image 2.jpg

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Are people still laser-focused on Monster Hunter for FP7 just because it has gotten some reveals or is it safe to actually speculate now? :lol:
Well, at least one guy said that it's more likely that they'd be in CP8 instead, seeing as that's closer to Rise's release date. Based on previous patterns and the current situation, I'd place that around the January-February range, giving a couple of months for veterans and newcomers alike to get hyped for Rise. Personally, I'm inclined to agree.

On a side note, I wouldn't say that a massive series getting a Switch-exclusive game with a direct all to itself would qualify as "just" a reveal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What is your “most” most wanted character in Smash Bros? Like... the one character, that above all else, you want in the game more than any other.

For me personally, While Young Wizard from Wizard101 is high up there in terms of my wants list(well really it’s the only reasonable one outta the bunch) I would be estactic if literally anything Bushiroad got in(I imagine a Bushiroad character would be Blaster Blade or Chronojet Dragon)

Like, a card game character has always been pretty high on my wants, but I really feel that a Bushi character would be way more interesting than just simply slapping an MtG planeswalker or Dark Magician into the game and calling it a day. Like... you have your generic sword boys... but with lazer swords(The Blasters) Fiery apoloyptic dragons(Overlord and all his various evolutions and possible future forms) but then you have some out there concepts... like bug mafia(Megacolony) Football but there’s no rules(Spike Brothers) and nom nom canabalistic cyborgs dinos(Tachikaze)
There’s a lot of content you could add with just a single Bushiroad character, although reality slaps me in the face and says it’s not happening because no anime.

The queen herself, the one, the only, FULL METAL JAGUAR:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In case you're wondering, this is a reference to Pokemon Black and White releasing ten years ago in Japan.
And there are still people mad about the trash bags and ice cream, an argument that could've been debunked in five seconds.
Pokemon discussion, eh? Alright, here's something I don't think anyone's asked. Let's assume for a moment that Gen 4 remakes ARE happening at some point in the future. I know we already have Lucario, but if they decided to add one of the Sinnoh starters to promote it, who do you think they should add? Personally, I'm all for Emporeon. Water starters all the way, my friends!

And before anybody brings up the whole "they don't promote remakes" thing, keep in mind this POKEMON we're talking about. They've been the exception to a lot of things.
Devolve it a couple times and you've got my answer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, at least one guy said that it's more likely that they'd be in CP8 instead, seeing as that's closer to Rise's release date. Based on previous patterns and the current situation, I'd place that around the January-February range, giving a couple of months for veterans and newcomers alike to get hyped for Rise. Personally, I'm inclined to agree.
Except DLCs rarely were timed to be promotional, and even then it happens for first-parties.

On a side note, I wouldn't say that a massive series getting a Switch-exclusive game with a direct all to itself would qualify as "just" a reveal.
It does when the fanbase has spent the last year and a half shutting down the idea of a Hunter for "the series already having content in the base game", "the monsters represent the series, not the hunters" or because "Byleth already takes the idea of someone using multiple weapons" and instead focused entirely on other Capcom characters such as Phoenix Wright and especially Dante (remember January?)

But now, around the exact same time two games are announced for Switch within 10 minutes, the Hunter is suddenly becoming a frontrunner, to the point where people think it's a guarantee despite the months of people not ever even thinking of considering it?

That absolutely sounds like people are just laser-focused and have the memory span of a goldfish.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

My "most" most wanted character?
I want this wacky woohoo dumbass:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Except DLCs rarely were timed to be promotional, and even then it happens for first-parties.

It does when the fanbase has spent the last year and a half shutting down the idea of a Hunter for "the series already having content in the base game", "the monsters represent the series, not the hunters" or because "Byleth already takes the idea of someone using multiple weapons" and instead focused entirely on other Capcom characters such as Phoenix Wright and especially Dante (remember January?)

But now, around the exact same time two games are announced for Switch within 10 minutes, the Hunter is suddenly becoming a frontrunner, to the point where people think it's a guarantee despite the months of people not ever even thinking of considering it?

That absolutely sounds like people are just laser-focused and have the memory span of a goldfish.
You say that like it isn't what we always do. It's just that we haven't had many new releases lately, so we haven't been able to hop on to the character's train after ignoring them completely. And besides, Monster Hunter actually has a fair bit going for it, so it's a good thing that it's been brought to our attention.

7NATOR

Smash Master

It does when the fanbase has spent the last year and a half shutting down the idea of a Hunter for "the series already having content in the base game" or because "Byleth already takes the idea of someone using multiple weapons" and instead focused entirely on other Capcom characters such as Phoenix Wright and especially Dante (remember January?)

Now suddenly, around the exact same time two games are announced for Switch within 10 minutes, the Hunter is suddenly a frontrunner, to the point where people think it's a guarantee despite the months of people not considering it?

Dragon Quest Xlll got alot of Promotion though. I think even in the Hero Presentation they was promotion for the Game

and people are trying to be more open minded now.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You say that like it isn't what we always do. It's just that we haven't had many new releases lately, so we haven't been able to hop on to the character's train after ignoring them completely. And besides, Monster Hunter actually has a fair bit going for it, so it's a good thing that it's been brought to our attention.
I agree with Monster Hunter having a lot of stuff going for it.

I'm just saying that the general fanbase never really shared that mindset.

Dragon Quest Xlll got alot of Promotion though. I think even in the Hero Presentation they was promotion for the Game
XIII? What happened to Dragon Quest XII? :4pacman:

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
And I'm sticking to the fact that Pokemon is better in 2D for the main games than the lifeless 3D games.
As much as I think that the "Game Freak = Satan" discussion has truly crossed lines and they've been accused of some nonsensical trash, I can't deny that the only 3D game I've actually followed through all the way to the Elite Four was Omega Ruby. Sure, life gets in the way, and there are some great games that I've had to shuffle into my backlog, but a pattern is a pattern.

In 2D, your mind is so much willing to fill in the gaps for limited or even missing animations. That just doesn't cut it for a 3D world, even when you are trying to populate it with several hundred species of animal. I've had some magical moments in Shield, but something truly is missing.

Although there's a big difference between a spin-off by a different developer and the main series, I do remember that my first time playing Colosseum I had a "WOW SO SHINY AND AMAZING" reaction, but was considerably less impressed when I came back to it several years later. Many of today's kids could go through something similar, which means that nostalgia will eventually have diminishing returns in the long term.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Thinkign about it though, While I think Dragon Quest can get to Xlll some day, I'm not even sure if we will get a Smash 10. It might take 3 decades for that to happen

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Origin of all that is good and mother to us all.
The one the only AMATERASU!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Pretty sure you know mine by now.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
People ask who your Most Wanted is

But why is your Most wanted your Most wanted?
Because Conker's Bad Fur Day is a fun platformer and I like his design/abilities. That's literally it. I'd also like Tails because I prefer his design/abilities over that of Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman.

Also: Anyone else gonna go play some Mario 3D All Stars?! It should be live any moment now.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
As much as I think that the "Game Freak = Satan" discussion has truly crossed lines and they've been accused of some nonsensical trash, I can't deny that the only 3D game I've actually followed through all the way to the Elite Four was Omega Ruby. Sure, life gets in the way, and there are some great games that I've had to shuffle into my backlog, but a pattern is a pattern.

In 2D, your mind is so much willing to fill in the gaps for limited or even missing animations. That just doesn't cut it for a 3D world, even when you are trying to populate it with several hundred species of animal. I've had some magical moments in Shield, but something truly is missing.

Although there's a big difference between a spin-off by a different developer and the main series, I do remember that my first time playing Colosseum I had a "WOW SO SHINY AND AMAZING" reaction, but was considerably less impressed when I came back to it several years later. Many of today's kids could go through something similar, which means that nostalgia will eventually have diminishing returns in the long term.
Im sticking to the idea that what's missing is that they simply don't know how to design good regions anymore and they don't know how to balance things since the games are way too easy.

In the 2D games there were moments where I would actually have to strategize my attacks and I could explore off to the side and find extra items.

The 3D games are on rails way too much and they don't even put that much off to the side anymore.

Kingdom hearts is pretty much the only childhood franchise of mine that doesn't have a character in smash yet.
I guess I'll let it slide since Cloud is a supporting character in that series and he's in smash.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Pretty sure you know mine by now.
If I had to guess.. It would be this nonspecific guy from this nonspecific game :lol:

I would personally want Sora, or Lloyd in smash. Both do have a legitimate reason for being added, and both have a good chance in making it in imho. Though Dante would be the most ironic and if they do add him.. I would like to request they put the stamp "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series" on the eshop page for the dlc somewhere :denzel:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People always ask who is your most wanted.

They never ask how is your most wanted. 😔
Let's see...
Reimu is perpetually broke but lives a pretty carefree life and is friends with more or less everyone she beats up, so she's doing pretty well.
Bandana Dee's working hard to become a legend while still living a happy life with his pals, so he's got it good.
Klonoa... Um... Well... You might want to sit down for this one.

In his first game alone, his grandpa was bombed to death, he discovered that he's not from Phantomille and was dragged out to stop Ghadius and Nahatomb, his best friends lied to him to get him to beat the bad guys, and he was dragged off by a portal with the heavy implication that he'll never see Huepow and the rest of his pals again. It's also implied that not only does he not remember his friends, but he goes through this regularly. Not to mention the fact that Bandai-Namco never properly advertised the series, leading to it's eventual dormancy which it has not returned from, with the only attempts at a revival being canceled before they can truly begin.

Yeah.

Being Klonoa is suffering.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man people argued about Byleth 'stealing' Hunter's entire potential moveset last night and I'm pretty sure that the first person to claim that was El Grande Padre di Jenos having a ****ing meltdown as if he ever had anything significant to say. A shame that out of all the potential memes a crappy clickbaiter had to give us, it's the one that people just assumed was true

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pokemon peaked with Black and White.

Thinkign about it though, While I think Dragon Quest can get to Xlll some day, I'm not even sure if we will get a Smash 10. It might take 3 decades for that to happen
Dragon Quest will for sure make it to XIII, look at Final Fantasy, they're all the way up to XVI and still going strong.

As for Smash 10, that'll probably take longer as they're one per console, but Mortal Kombat's at 11 now and King of Fighters is releasing XV this year. I've no doubt that Smash can have that staying power.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Man people argued about Byleth 'stealing' Hunter's entire potential moveset last night and I'm pretty sure that the first person to claim that was El Grande Padre di Jenos having a ****ing meltdown as if he ever had anything significant to say. A shame that out of all the potential memes a crappy clickbaiter had to give us, it's the one that people just assumed was true
Who is this?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The queen herself, the one, the only, FULL METAL JAGUAR:
Actually, she's one of three. Four if you count Cross. :p

Well...She had a child who saved the world at one point, so probably pretty good.

7NATOR

Smash Master
To translate for ya

PapaGeno
Ahh Papagenos

Papagenos is the man though. Like he does get stuff wrong like the whole Grinch leak Fiasco but I don't think he's a Crappy Clickbaiter like some might say he is.

And you guys got to admit, Monster Hunter and Byleth do have similiarities with each other. Now of course Monster Hunter could be unique anyway, I Personally was just worried that Byleth would have stolen Hunter's function, even if Hunter has different weapons, but Hunter could do different Stuff though.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about Indie games recently and since Smash Bros. will never leave my brain I was thinking about them in the context of the game and if one will be added and who it will be. I think an Indie character is an when rather than if question at this point. Now who will it be at this current point in time there are 2 options that I find highly likely. Reimu and an Undertale Rep. here is the evidence for why I think they both have a good chance.

Reimu:
Touhou is very popular in Japan with multiple conventions and a large doujin market due to how lax Zun is with the copyright and in the US Touhou helped shape early-ish internet anime culture you'd be hard pressed to find someone on the internet who has not absorbed anything Touhou related through osmosis but it is not very popular outside of those circles. When talking about non Internet people yeah most people don't know Touhou, but that isn't really an issue. When it comes to games that have been localized this is where I think Reimu is starting to become less Likely in my opinion but still quite possible, None of the Mainline games have been officially localized, But what has been localized are plethora of officially licensed fan games, Genso Wanderer, Luna Nights etc. I think those games are valid enough to count Touhou as a series that has been released in the west but it all depends on how Nintendo and Team Shanghai Alice view them.

Undertale:
I think Undertale is way more likely than we all think, The lack of spirits is pretty sus and Sakurai seems to speak very highly of not only the game itself but Toby Fox as well. I think the sans costume was added to add Undertale content before Sakurai created the second pass and now that more characters are being added, Nintendo may or may not be looking at Undertale as it seems like Undertale is very popular over there and Nintendo might want a piece of that pie. What character would they use? I think Frisk is the best option right now Kris would have a better chance if there was more of Deltarune. There is one thing I think that hurts Undertale's chances a little bit, If they add a full fledged Undertale character it might undercut the pacifist message, but that is certainly just me thinking to hard I just wanted to get that out there.

Tl;dr Personally I think Reimu has a good shot but has noticable issues holding her back

Undertale is more likely than we think, The lack of spirits keeps that door open but the sans costume could very well be a nail in the coffin

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I used to watch a bit of PapaGenos, but I stopped after his Byleth rant. He was just too annoying for me.

I can understand this meme, but Monster Hunter is literally being promoted as much as Dragon Quest XI S, and :ulthero: got in Smash. Not to forget that Monster Hunter is one of Capcom's best selling series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom