• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
X was my first experience with Xenoblade.. and honestly it's.. a thing. Didn't really like the plot but the overarching story and lore was definitely the highlights of it. Don't think I could stomach the original and the sequel though, if the side game is already really really dark.
2 has some massive tonal issues (like almost immediately following up the death scene for a major character with a haha funny fanservice hijinks scene, or having a serious character death come after dealing with haha joke villain exploding his giant chibi maid robot), but on the whole, it's definitely not a dark game. Same goes for 1, minus the tonal issues.

Money is also the reason why they've said they wouldn't make a port. Perhaps that was then and this is now (and I hope it is), but I wouldn't hold my breath.
They didn't even say that it would be too expensive, just that it would be expensive.

This was when Mayo vs Ketchup was announced as the first rerun:

He should have more tweets on the matter
That sounds. . . convoluted.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With X its hard to say definitely one way or another if its coming to Switch. Given that Nintendo's typically been going for a couple of big JRPG's a year, there may come a period where a port of it (even with the data compression necessary to fit onto a reasonable cartridge) is viewed as too potentially valuable to not do. Doubly so if it can be positioned to help grow the Xenoblade brand even further and keep it people's minds for if/when they do a XBC3.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
What? A major character death scene? When does tha-oooh I forgot he existed.

I wouldn't exactly call him a major character though. lol
Idk, he's a playable character, supposedly pretty important to Rex and Pyra/Mythra's character/relationship development, and vital to a large part of the side content in the game. By all means, he should be major. But then the game just completely forgets that Vandham exists outside of sidequests, and Rok (or however you spell his name) gets maybe two more scenes. They absolutely should have had Vandham be the one to break Rex out of the Architect's dream sequence by having him ask Rex something like "Did you fight your war?" or something along those lines, but nooo.

I will say that if Xenoblade X comes to the Switch I want it to have a menu overhaul. That was just convoluted, especially if you just used one screen.
You mean the map on the Gamepad and that entire mining/probe mechanic?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I must be a rare kind of speciman where I played XC1 and XCX but never played XC2. Even moreso that I preferred XCX to XC1.

I just didn't care for some of the character designs I saw in XC2, especially with Rex himself looking like a massive goober. Some of what I've heard and the little bit of footage/story I saw hasn't really convinced me, and other games that interested me came out around XC2's time or I had a backlog already and I focused on those instead and, well, I never got around to XC2. Don't really have much interest in trying it nowadays either.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I will say that if Xenoblade X comes to the Switch I want it to have a menu overhaul. That was just convoluted, especially if you just used one screen.
They’ll definitely fix the menu and the miranium probe screen

what they should also do is make farming for Skell parts easier, make that cut banter between Lao and Celica actually possible in the story , and other stuff that escapes me right now. Just overall expand an already massive game, fill the plot holes, make certain parts less tedious

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My hope would be for 3 things:
  1. The tutorials are done way better. Like, seriously, Overdrive should not be a missable tutorial given to you by an NPC you're likely to ignore.
  2. The reserve party is an actual reserve party and not just a bunch junk slots to put the party members you're getting rid of in. That way you can still require that Elma and Lin be with you without making them the only party members that you should be using before the main story is over.
  3. Better party member balancing. Elma, Irena, and H.B. are good, and Lin and Murderess are decent, but iirc everyone else is pretty garbage. Especially with Hope. Her affinity mission (which locks you out of the main story quests mind you) brings you to the final area as early as level 18 or something, she should not be the worst party member in the game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Did I hear indies?
My two cents on the matter is that after Nintendo's support towards indie games and the slowly but surely increasing indie content in Smash, I'm personally expecting an indie fighter at some point. Personally, I think the frontrunners are Reimu and Shovel Knight.

The Touhou Project is bloody everywhere in Japan, spawned an endless amount of fanworks, and has a long history behind it. Her main issue is her Japanese-centric appeal, but I don't think she's entirely out of the way from that. As of current, there are twelve Touhou games on Steam, and while they aren't officially translated, that's only because ZUN knows the fans will do it for him in a couple of days, which arguably gives a point towards her. If the creator knows there's enough of a Western fandom to do the translations for him, surely there's at least some kind of foothold there. Generally, your opinion on her is dependent on where you stand towards characters that lean more closely towards one region.

Shovel Knight, on the other hand, is more straightforward. We all know about him, his recent success story, his endless cameos, and his closeness with Nintendo. We also know about his Assist Trophy. After Min Min was chosen by her own merits and not because of being the poor man's Spring Man, I think ATs are back on the table, but that's another can of worms I don't feel like opening. Basically, it all depends on if you think ATs are still viable.

I also think FNaF has become a pretty prolific indie, but I know jacksquat about the series so I'm not qualified to say any more.

I must be the only person on earth that felt a bit disappointed after finishing Xenoblade Chronicles 1.
It's a great game, don't get me wrong, absolute must play for many reasons, but it just felt "okay" to me at the end while I was crying at the end of XC2.....
Must've been because I played XC2 first, and also due to how much people tend to hype up XC1's story and characters.
.....oh and I also didn't think I knew THIS much about the game's "spoilers" lol
(Edit : part of it might also be because of the people straight up trashing XC2, but whatever)
Nope, I'm in that boat too. The levels were too big and your movement options too small, so exploration becomes rather tedious (Which is a shame, because I love metroidvanias and exploration in general). The combat didn't gel well with me either; It's annoying to have to try and get the enemy to turn around so I can Back Slash it, and the RNG Chain Attacks are a pain in the ****. I hear XC2 fixes some things and falters with others, but after XC1 I'm just generally wary about long JRPGs.

You mean the map on the Gamepad and that entire mining/probe mechanic?
About that: you have to go through multiple layers of menus to access that screen if you aren't on gamepad. Depending on what you're doing you might want to access that screen once per minute. Having to remember how to navigate menus to look at something that is designed to always be at your fingertips is baffling.

If I'm remembering it right the whole menu system was pretty unintuitive. It's been awhile since I played the game, so I don't remember everything, but I do remember thinking that certain pages should be close together while they were each two layers down in separate menus.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's annoying to have to try and get the enemy to turn around so I can Back Slash it...
It...shouldn't be. the only reasons I could think of that could cause this would be Art spamming which gives you too much aggro, not having a good tank like Reyn, or Riki, or the tank not doing his job (Dunban's Blinding Blossom is not an adequate aggro generation tool at first).

EDIT: Or standing right next to the tank, but that's a bad idea in general.

...and the RNG Chain Attacks are a pain in the ****.
What? They're not RNG. I mean, you do have to pay attention to make sure no-one's down and never start one right after hearing "Ow! That's scorching hot!", "Gotta cool off!", or "Okaaaaaaaay!", but other than that it should be pretty consistent.

EDIT: Forgot about the mechanics revolving around keeping it going. That part is a bit RNG, but it only gets more and more in your favor, and you should have a general idea of how long a Chain Attack will be able to go given your affinity levels. You can also work miracles with just one go-round so I don't personally find it to be too bad.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It...shouldn't be. the only reasons I could think of that could cause this would be Art spamming which gives you too much aggro, not having a good tank like Reyn, or Riki, or the tank not doing his job (Dunban's Blinding Blossom is not an adequate aggro generation tool at first).

EDIT: Or standing right next to the tank, but that's a bad idea in general.
I mean, admittedly I'm not used to a real-time battle system. There's also the fact that at a certain point, I just experienced burnout so I just wanted to get to the end already.

What? They're not RNG. I mean, you do have to pay attention to make sure no-one's down and never start one right after hearing "Ow! That's scorching hot!", "Gotta cool off!", or "Okaaaaaaaay!", but other than that it should be pretty consistent.
The continuation, I mean. I have no control over if it gives me another prompt, so sometimes I try to set up one combo only for it to peter out after the initial three attacks, which get especially annoying during some difficult boss fights when you're hoping for a long, damaging Chain Attack only to get shut down just after you get off the runway.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
They're RNG as to whether you get extra attacks beyond the initial set.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I have no clue if this would effect Rayman's chances but If I had to wager a guess probably not but it is worth giving it a side-eye at least.

I just don't really see Nintendo being interested in including Rayman at this point. It's a western IP that's never been particurly popular in their home country and some of its mainline games like Rayman 3 never even came out there, and now with Ancel leaving Ubisoft, it may not really have a future ahead of it.

I guess the character has a decentish Smash following, but unfortunately I don't think whatever support he has is enough to make him really visible to Nintendo.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I just don't really see Nintendo being interested in including Rayman at this point. It's a western IP that's never been particurly popular in their home country and some of its mainline games like Rayman 3 never even came out there, and now with Ancel leaving Ubisoft, it may not really have a future ahead of it.

I guess the character has a decentish Smash following, but unfortunately I don't think whatever support he has is enough to make him really visible to Nintendo.
I didn't think Rayman had a very good chance because of the reasons you listed and while I don't think Michel Ancel leaving would be the sole thing keeping Rayman out it certainly did not help.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
About that: you have to go through multiple layers of menus to access that screen if you aren't on gamepad.
Wait, you can do it without the gamepad?

I have no clue if this would effect Rayman's chances but If I had to wager a guess I would give it a solid maybe
Nah, unless this caused the deal to go south, this wouldn't affect anything Super Smash Bros. related.

I mean, admittedly I'm not used to a real-time battle system. There's also the fact that at a certain point, I just experienced burnout so I just wanted to get to the end already.
I can understand that. It probably wasn't meant to be binged. lol

The continuation, I mean. I have no control over if it gives me another prompt, so sometimes I try to set up one combo only for it to peter out after the initial three attacks, which get especially annoying during some difficult boss fights when you're hoping for a long, damaging Chain Attack only to get shut down just after you get off the runway.
They're RNG as to whether you get extra attacks beyond the initial set.
Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Mostly because I never really had a problem with it. From my experience, you can't get them at all with yellow affinity, but nearly always get them with green affinity or higher. So the more you use a specific party, the more consistent chain attacks get, and they get so relatively quickly.

The most annoying thing about them imo, is the fact that Sharla is so non-synergistic with the rest of the party since her choices for damage are a Break Art (which doesn't lead to anything powerful unless you break the chain to Topple), a Daze Art (which is pretty rare among the party), and a Debuff Art that isn't even a debuff and does crap for damage.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Corrin was a big reason why Smash fans resent Fire Emblem so much, but I don't think Smash fans did not mind Fire Emblem until suddenly Corrin appeared. I feel like it slowly grew after Robin and Lucina's trailer. I could be wrong here.
The seeds of discontent were planted with Robin and Lucina, and then they continued to fester through Roy until they came to a head with Corrin.

So, to say it began with Robin and Lucina wouldn't be incorrect, though at that point of time it was still lesser than the eventual displeasure with the quantity of Kid Icarus representation, and the presence of Dark Pit. FE wouldn't tip the scales (pun intended) until Corrin, becoming public enemy number one.

I still remember how a lot of people were upset when Ike was revealed, because they wanted Chrom to take his spot.
People didn't really want Chrom gameplay-wise, which was what ultimately swayed Sakurai when making Smash 4. But character-wise there were just as many people who didn't really want Robin, and so Chrom Ultimately made it in anyway.
This, however, I dispute.

The number of people who would've been upset at Ike's return, let alone any veteran's return, let alone a popular character from a (at that time) little-represented series would've been a very small amount. In part because a big part of Chrom's supporters argument for him was that he, Marth and Ike could all co-exist and be unique. And the people who were against Chrom wouldn't have wanted to see Ike gone for his sake. So no, I doubt "a lot" of people were upset by Ike's return.

You've seen what happens here when people suggest any specific cut.

I'm guessing a bit here, but it's my feeling that even though non-FE fans understand that echo fighters don't take up slots, it still bothers them because the blue-haired swordfighters are all aesthetically the same to them. The other echo fighters have clear visual contrasts to justify them, while Chrom and Lucina can only feel like they make sense on the roster if you actually know who they are.
Yes, that is also a component of it. I would say it's a component that comes second or third to the actual volume of characters, and the number of derivative additions, but their aesthetic same-ness also prompts some complaints. Though again, that also has increased over time.

Wait, you can do it without the gamepad?
Yeah, but you're really not meant to. I think I mostly did it the other way around, where I only used gamepad without the tv screen. It's basically the same thing, but you get to use touch controls on the map. I did do tv only for a because my dad somehow chopped my charge cable in two by reclining on the couch.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, that is also a component of it. I would say it's a component that comes second or third to the actual volume of characters, and the number of derivative additions, but their aesthetic same-ness also prompts some complaints. Though again, that also has increased over time.
It's really kind of a shame since the protagonists in the series aren't really all that samey.
1600448676208.png
Granted, these aren't the same artstyle, and Roy doesn't have his current design (also Alm, Celica, Robin, Corrin, and Byleth aren't here), but most of them are quite different from the others...It just so happens that the ones they did pick have a predominantly blue color scheme.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I didn't think Rayman had a very good chance because of the reasons you listed and while I don't think Michel Ancel leaving would be the sole thing keeping Rayman out it certainly did not help.
I don't think Rayman had a very good chance ever if I'm being honest. I hate to talk about somebody's most wanted like this, but Rayman always seemed a bit more tertiary compared to his other mascot heroes, and I can't see him getting in before Crash or Spyro. Also, it seems like the Rabbids may have surpassed Rayman in popularity based on how much attention they've been getting in recent times (even a TV show on Nickelodeon!)

I really believe Rayman would bring something new to the table if he were to get into Smash, but as it stands right now, I feel like he's best suited for an AT like Bomberman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess this will have something to do with the Japan-only mode being available?
I was excited for a second. O_O

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I guess this will have something to do with the Japan-only mode being available?
I'm going to say this means no reveal next week, for sure.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
the **** do i do with 70,000 gold points

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Buy 3,500 digital strategy guides for Super Mario 3D Land, because the My Nintendo Rewards site has jack ****.
You can use Gold Points as little coupons at the E-Shop checkout, I believe. Because I've done it.

So yeah, $700 worth of Switch games. That's at least 10 full-blown AAA games.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thanks to Gold Points the last character I actually spent money on was Banjo.

It's really kind of a shame since the protagonists in the series aren't really all that samey.
Granted, these aren't the same artstyle, and Roy doesn't have his current design (also Alm, Celica, Robin, Corrin, and Byleth aren't here), but most of them are quite different from the others...It just so happens that the ones they did pick have a predominantly blue color scheme.
To be fair you also left out Sigurd and Seliph.

But yeah.

SKX31

Smash Master

We may have just gotten that new mode that came from Japan.
I was about to get hyped, and then I saw the ruleset:

Medium items, lots of stages.

Eh, it's a step forward that NoA's doing it too, but it really feels like... well, I'll return to a certain article:

Nintendo’s sales-first approach is a big problem for Melee because Nintendo doesn’t make Melee anymore. Nintendo doesn’t even make GameCubes. They have nothing to market off of Melee, no toy to sell, no business to do. Nintendo tried to stop Melee from being broadcast at EVO [2013] because they saw no value in advertising a discontinued product.
And:

Creating that ecosystem is hard and takes a ton of time. After all, basketball did not become global in a day and LeBron James makes much more money than Wilt Chamberlain did. However, developers can catalyze that ecosystem with a raw injection of cash – AKA prize pools – AKA the thing that just doesn’t differentiate Nintendo from other companies.

But hope springs eternal, Nintendo tweets more about Smash, they pay commentators to cover weird online items brackets, and it feels like there’s a slim possibility Nintendo changes course. If they did, they make so much money that it truthfully wouldn’t be hard for them to create a circuit with a million dollars at the end of it – for each game. Even if Nintendo decided esports was worth the money, that money would not be free. It would be an investment.
Again, the "weird online item bracket" bit is important, since the qualifiers for this is exactly that. Perhaps the Finals will be more in line with tourney standard a la the last Online Open? Anyhow, having the qualifiers like this is still weird. It feels like many within Nintendo still wants to market Ultimate's features... when the competitive scene has ruled out said features as too imbalanced to be considered good for the game. I mean, Sonic's only getting buffed by items and janky stages on, and he's already buffed by online's lag.

What I'm trying to say is, the qualifiers is going to have a lot of jank, especially when the prizes are effectively a lot of games in the eShop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom