• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Okay, how about this:

If they did announce a new fighter at EVO, what series of fighting games that appeared (not just played) at EVO would get a rep in SSBU?
From the games that were played, Heihachi (and Tekken in general) has the best chance imo. Otherwise, KOF. People really sleep on Kyo for some reason. The thing with him and Terry is that while the latter is considered SNK's mascot, his home series is technically Fatal Fury, not KOF, despite appearing in every entry.

So I wonder if Nintendo would pick him over Kyo, considering KOF seems to have contributed more to a few gameplay concepts in Smash. But I do think it's still possible, if only for his popularity as an icon of SNK.

I’m surprised we didn’t even get an announcement of an announcement at EVO...

Then again isn’t some kinda invitational coming up? For North America? Maybe there will be something there?
The invitationals never have stuff besides announcements of announcements.

... and personally, I don't think they're fun to watch, so I'm not going to expect anything.

With EVO gone, our safest bet for Fighter #4 is the fall Direct.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Tokyo Game Show reveal?

Not the biggest event for us, but over there it is fairly important. It's in 5 weeks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tokyo Game Show reveal?

Not the biggest event for us, but over there it is fairly important. It's in 5 weeks.
I don’t think there’s ever been a Smash reveal at TGS tho... there was the one JP exclusive Direct that revealed Shulk for 4 but then again that wasn’t TGS

imo a Gamescom reveal is more likely and even that isn’t a guarantee

Also, the supposed “major” Persona 5 Royal announcement on the 17th still has me thinking...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don’t think there’s ever been a Smash reveal at TGS tho... there was the one JP exclusive Direct that revealed Shulk for 4 but then again that wasn’t TGS

imo a Gamescom reveal is more likely and even that isn’t a guarantee

Also, the supposed “major” Persona 5 Royal announcement on the 17th still has me thinking...
There was never a reveal at the Game Awards either.

So far the three reveals have been at a show of some kind. VGA and E3. A direct happened and Smash DLC was ignored.

Gamescon is smaller than TGS, isn't it?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was never a reveal at the Game Awards either.

So far the three reveals have been at a show of some kind. VGA and E3. A direct happened and Smash DLC was ignored.

Gamescon is smaller than TGS, isn't it?
I do know Gamescom is usually the place for more info on games revealed at E3 or earlier, outside of dedicated directs. Some new additions or features for such games are usually shown off there.

According to this article:
Games getting some time in the spotlight will include Luigi’s Mansion 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, The Witcher 3, Astral Chain, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and Dragon Quest 10 S: Echoes of an Elusive Age.

For visitors to the show floor, Nintendo will have a booth where it’ll be possible to get hands on with titles including The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Dragon Quest 10 S, Pokémon Sword and Shieldand even that highly-anticipated The Witcher 3 port.
New gameplay is all very well and good but if you like nothing more than a good competition then you’ll want to tune into Nintendo’s one-off Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gamescom 2019 Invitational on August 22. The event will start streaming on Nintendo’s YouTube channel in the afternoon and will see players go head to head for the chance to be flown to Japan for the Ultimate World Challenge Cup held in October.
Since they’re having an invitational there... maybe...?

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
[QUOTE="Rie Sonomura, post: 23481762, member: 255901"According to this article:
Since they’re having an invitational there... maybe...?[/QUOTE]
I get we talking Smash here and i do apologize in advance for this, but
really? no pikmin 4 still? bruh
anyways if we get a char reveal it'll be that rumored independent (in regards to the Pass, not dev) fighter. Who'd it be, if Sakuri follows by the no-spirit promotion clause?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Okay, how about this:

If they did announce a new fighter at EVO, what series of fighting games that appeared (not just played) at EVO would get a rep in SSBU?
Tekken would obviously be the primary choice for a playable rep for Smash. After all, it is one of the icons within the fighting game genre. If there were any others that I could name, it would be King of Fighters, SoulCalibur or Samurai Shodown.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
[QUOTE="Rie Sonomura, post: 23481762, member: 255901"According to this article:
Since they’re having an invitational there... maybe...?
anyways if we get a char reveal it'll be that rumored independent (in regards to the Pass, not dev) fighter. Who'd it be, if Sakuri follows by the no-spirit promotion clause?[/QUOTE]
Is that rumour exclusively coming from speculating Geno or is it more than that?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
anyways if we get a char reveal it'll be that rumored independent (in regards to the Pass, not dev) fighter. Who'd it be, if Sakuri follows by the no-spirit promotion clause?
Is that rumour exclusively coming from speculating Geno or is it more than that?[/QUOTE]
From what I've seen on this site it was mostly just Rie who brought up the possibility of an independent fighter Who doesn't need anyone else based upon the fact that the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate official website is advertising a new stage but not a new fighter.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Considering the Geno rumor is from early in the year when lots of Square character talk was rampant, I'm putting my flag down in the 'there won't be more Square characters' territory.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I'm always gonna stay by the rule that spirit = deconfirmed. It just seems odd to revamp an existing spirit and/or make a duplicate spirit and change it so it says "(Fighter)" to the end of the spirit's name.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I wouldn’t expect anymore Smash content till the next Nintendo Direct. And if I’m being honest, I don’t think we’ll get anymore info. on Banjo-Kazooie either till their video presentation. In the next Direct, at most, I think we’ll get Fighter #4 and a date for the Banjo-Kazooie presentation.

I’m just as impatient as the rest of you guys but I think Nintendo wants to keep a steady stream for the last DLC, where we know 2 fighters for a good deal of time, then one gets released, and we only know of 1 until the last one gets named. Then we’ll know of 2 again for a while, #4 will get released, and we’ll only be waiting on the last one for a bit.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I still don't see us getting Fighter 4 this year, or even knowing who they are this year. Something tells me we're getting a double reveal January.

September will be the March direct 2.0: "Stay tuned for more information on the upcoming Challenger Pack 3, including the famous Banjo and Kazooie tag team!" or something along those lines, which will come into fruition in October/very early November (first week).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still don't see us getting Fighter 4 this year, or even knowing who they are this year. Something tells me we're getting a double reveal January.

September will be the March direct 2.0: "Stay tuned for more information on the upcoming Challenger Pack 3, including the famous Banjo and Kazooie tag team!" or something along those lines, which will come into fruition in October/very early November (first week).
That's possible, but that'd be strange imo. The February deadline is just for them getting released, so they could announce both by late December and release the last one early-mid February if not January. Banjo & Kazooie seem most-likely for early October.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still don't see us getting Fighter 4 this year, or even knowing who they are this year.
Dude you serious?

Their schedule that they have followed faithfully have it listed as the end of 2019 for #4, and Winter/February 2020 for #5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

They're not going to release one character in January and one in February, much less two in a single month.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In the next Direct, at most, I think we’ll get Fighter #4 and a date for the Banjo-Kazooie presentation.
I do not believe we will get info on a new fighter in the next Direct. Maybe not even info on Banjo.

Remember this?

Yeah, I think at the most we'll get in the next Direct is rough idea of when Banjo will be released. Everyone thinks that at any moment they're going to anounce another fighter. We might have to wait a long time.

Joker was anounced in December. We were so so SO certain we would hear news about him in January. Nope. Well maybe in the next Nintendo Direct? Nope again. We finally got info about Joker in April. Right before his release.

I think it was rare for us to get a reveal for future fighter before the next in line was released. E3 was the exception. I strongly believe we won't know who the next fighter is until sometime after Banjo is released.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm always gonna stay by the rule that spirit = deconfirmed. It just seems odd to revamp an existing spirit and/or make a duplicate spirit and change it so it says "(Fighter)" to the end of the spirit's name.
You could say said character being a Spirit is a deconfirmation. But remember, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before being brought back as DLC in that game. I know they were veterans before then, but this same thing could happen again with characters in Ultimate that are already Spirits.

StormC

Smash Hero
Did some thinking... do people feel like this is a realistic path for the Fighters Pass announcements?

October General Direct: We get a ~7 minute section breaking down Banjo's content and a fighter 4 trailer.
December Smash Video: Fighter 4 info, same as Joker and Hero.
February Final Smash Direct: Fighter 5 reveal and breakdown, any final updates, a farewell/thank you from Sakurai.

Some thoughts about this:

-I'm not sure a VGA reveal is a guarantee. It feels like that was a one time thing to get attention for the Fighters Pass since the award ceremony was the same night as Smash's release.
-Banjo's moveset will probably not be overly complex or have any sort of weird gimmick. They could break down the moves in ~2 minutes like they did with Incineroar, and Spiral Mountain will probably take 1 minute tops to talk about (much like Mementos). That leaves 3-5 minutes to talk about new content and costumes.
-This allows them to space out the reveals a bit more and maximize revealing all the final info in as few videos as possible. They can also have hype at a fever pitch by sitting on fighter 5 until the last second.
-An October General Direct is starting to feel more likely to me than a September Direct. September is packed with releases and a General Direct advertising other games risks mixed messaging. October however is basically empty besides Luigi's Mansion on the 31st. 7 minutes to focus on Banjo seems feasible when you look at the April 2015 General Direct which spent 7 minutes on Mewtwo, Lucas, their Amiibo, and the Smash Ballot.
-The Final Smash Direct could be up to 20 minutes long; Joker's video was 15 with the trailer, character breakdown, and content updates. Perhaps for a final update there would be more to talk about.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sounds realistic to me, neatly spaced and placed 4's reveal after Banjo's release. Still, the suspense for these last two fighters is killing me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Did some thinking... do people feel like this is a realistic path for the Fighters Pass announcements?

October General Direct: We get a ~7 minute section breaking down Banjo's content and a fighter 4 trailer.
February Final Smash Direct: Fighter 5 reveal and breakdown, any final updates, a farewell/thank you from Sakurai.

-I'm not sure a VGA reveal is a guarantee. It feels like that was a one time thing to get attention for the Fighters Pass since the award ceremony was the same night as Smash's release.
-Banjo's moveset will probably not be overly complex or have any sort of weird gimmick. They could break down the moves in ~2 minutes like they did with Incineroar, and Spiral Mountain will probably take 1 minute tops to talk about (much like Mementos). That leaves 3-5 minutes to talk about new content and costumes.
-This allows them to space out the reveals a bit more and maximize revealing all the final info in as few videos as possible. They can also have hype at a fever pitch by sitting on fighter 5 until the last second.
-An October General Direct is starting to feel more likely to me than a September Direct. September is packed with releases and a General Direct advertising other games risks mixed messaging. October however is basically empty besides Luigi's Mansion on the 31st. 7 minutes to focus on Banjo seems feasible when you look at the April 2015 General Direct which spent 7 minutes on Mewtwo, Lucas, their Amiibo, and the Smash Ballot.
-The Final Smash Direct could be up to 20 minutes long; Joker's video was 15 with the trailer, character breakdown, and content updates. Perhaps for a final update there would be more to talk about.
I don't think a Fighter 5 reveal in February, the same month it would release, is realistic, every other Fighter has been revealed much longer before release.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still think character four reveal in the September Direct for release in Nov/Dec, with character five reveal in Dec/Jan for release in Feb makes the most sense schedule-wise, so that's what I'm predicting.

Other than Hero not releasing during E3, everything else is tracking pretty closely to what I expected so far.

ze9

Smash Ace
What if #4 and #5 get revealed at the same time? To minimize disappointments.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So far both Joker and Hero have had their breakdowns separate from any general Direct and was shown right before the release of the fighter. I doubt any info on Banjo will be shown in a general Nintendo Direct. The Banjo breakdown will most likely happen right before Banjo becomes available.

Other than Hero not releasing during E3, everything else is tracking pretty closely to what I expected so far.
Did you expect a 4 month period of complete silence on Joker between his announcement and his breakdown video?

I feel like people keep forgetting that happened. That an entire 4 months and a Direct went by and showed nothing. Nobody is factoring that into their theories.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I doubt that it would minimize disappointment, especially if those two are the last DLC characters for Smash Ultimate - it didn't exactly work like that for Corrin and Bayonetta. (I was glad to see Bayonetta being added, but I was likely in the minority on that one)

Given how many characters have fans backing them for DLC, revealing who the final two characters are will inevitably disappoint a lot of people, even if the people who supported those two particular characters will be overjoyed.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Did you expect a 4 month period of complete silence on Joker between his announcement and his breakdown video?

I feel like people keep forgetting that happened. That an entire 4 months and a Direct went by and showed nothing. Nobody is factoring that into their theories.
I think it's because they only have seven months till they hit their deadline. Here are my thoughts: If they're going to keep their deadline then there's definitely going to be a release in February (Probably on the last day in that month). If there's one in February, then there's not likely to be one in January. I don't think they'll add a character right before or after Christmas, so a release in December would probably take place in early December. Too much earlier than that and Fighter #4 will release too close to Banjo & Kazooie, so I think Banjo & Kazooie will release in September, and #4 in late November-early December. This probably means we'll at least see #4 pretty soon. Next month at the latest.

I'm also open to the possibility that #5 will miss the deadline and release in March or early April.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

To me it does. This is exactly when I think the remaining DLC lineup will be announced and released.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
it depends, If Character 4 was targeted for Japanese audience Character 5 was targeted for western audience(or vice versa) then yeah I can somewhat I see two characters being revealed in the same direct/conference again, If not then no.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
it depends, If Character 4 was targeted for Japanese audience Character 5 was targeted for western audience(or vice versa) then yeah I can somewhat I see two characters being revealed in the same direct/conference again, If not then no.
What pairing do we have that would have that sort of appeal? The best I can think of is Reimu/Marine but I have no idea how popular Reimu in Smash is of an idea in Japan. (It would really make 4chan happy if the two got in tho huh)

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I'd say that this will be the fighters pass
Sakurai pick (Joker)
Popular Japanese character (Hero)
Popular Western character (Banjo Kazooie)
and either
First party sakurai pick
Popular character worldwide
or
Popular Western first party
Popular Japanese first party
I choose the latter but both are likely

andree123

Smash Ace
Mine goes out likes this:
Sakurai pick (Joker)
Most wanted in Japan (Hero)
Most wanted in the west (Banjo)
Random 3rd party pick (Lloyd)
Random 1st party pick (Sylux)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
My dream pick would be unexpected Japan-popular first party (Rhythm Paradise) and another Western popular but also Japan appreciated 3rd party (Crash). That'd be so cool.

StormC

Smash Hero
That was a special scenario done to get attention for the Fighters Pass when the game was released. They probably wanted to start selling Passes before the end of the fiscal year. Sakurai said it might have been a one time thing.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
How would people think the characters I haven't crossed out here would fare on a Western/Eastern/Worldwide kind of split. Top 10 franchises with no rep in Smash (minus sports, racing, 4th party, CoD & GTA).

I crossed out characters from companies who've already had DLC fighters.

1. Minecraft (Microsoft)
2. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
3. Resident Evil (Capcom)
4. Tomb Raider (Square)
5. Halo (Microsoft)

6. Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
7. Monster Hunter (Capcom)
8. Elder Scrolls (Bethesda)
9. Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros)
10. Tekken (Namco)

ze9

Smash Ace
I doubt that it would minimize disappointment, especially if those two are the last DLC characters for Smash Ultimate - it didn't exactly work like that for Corrin and Bayonetta. (I was glad to see Bayonetta being added, but I was likely in the minority on that one)

Given how many characters have fans backing them for DLC, revealing who the final two characters are will inevitably disappoint a lot of people, even if the people who supported those two particular characters will be overjoyed.
Well, of course the characters chosen have to not be lame.
I was thinking more along the lines of Dragon Quest X Banjo-Kazooie. A somewhat unexciting but unquestionably deserving series + a big fan-favorite to sweeten the deal. That would have gone down very well even as the final announcement, imho.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What disappointment is made by not revealing them simultaneously? That's not being disappointed, that's being impatient.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What disappointment is made by not revealing them simultaneously? That's not being disappointed, that's being impatient.
The only thing I could see happening by one reveal is that people will grow more restless for their most wanted to be that final character and getting down at each other's throats over that final spot. Unless Sakurai confirms a second fighters pass.

Other than that, people will probably have a meltdown regardless the moment the final character is known and isn't someone they want...

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think it's because they only have seven months till they hit their deadline.
At the rate they're going I don't think they'll make their deadline. Nintendo delays things all the time. They always believe in taking the time they need to make sure a product is as good as it can be. So when they say Animal Crossing is coming out in 2019, it might end up being 2020. It happens.

I know Sakurai and his team are not Nintendo, but I think he agrees with this principal and is not like other companies who will rush out something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom