• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can either see:

- One DLC with 2 alts

or

- Three DLC, one's separate like Plant

There's no concrete evidence to disprove one character from another, so it's just arguing who's a lock or not for 4 months.

ze9

Smash Ace
Yeah, oooooorrrrrr... the final number of character icons could be uneven. Crazy, huh?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, oooooorrrrrr... the final number of character icons could be uneven. Crazy, huh?
Wouldn't be the first time. People are just freaking out at the concept of it not being even.

I don't see the reason to complain though, more content is good content to me.

ze9

Smash Ace
Wouldn't be the first time. People are just freaking out at the concept of it not being even.

I don't see the reason to complain though, more content is good content to me.
I just think this is grasping at straws and is not really indicative of anything. The "even slots" theories have always been proven wrong.
If it was on me, the number of slots would be even and then there would be a couple more rows.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just think this is grasping at straws and is not really indicative of anything. The "even slots" theories have always been proven wrong.
If it was on me, the number of slots would be even and then there would be a couple more rows.
Same with all the "they end it with the hypest character last!" theories.

:olimar: Yeah, :4shulk: aight. :ultincineroar:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cursed human brain looking for non-existent patterns.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Just because he wasn't Ridley didn't mean Olimar was't HYPE!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So... wait, were these slots actually datamined or something or is it just an extrapolation from the menu? I can't tell from the original post.
It's just ripping from the menu of character voices

Just because he wasn't Ridley didn't mean Olimar was't HYPE!
Show me posts from 2008 talking about how hype Olimar is and I'll believe you.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I know Digmon fans don't want to hear this, but Digimon is ineligible for Smash. Tomodachi toys don't count as a video game. Some people try and compare it to G&W, but that's not a good comparison. For one G&W was Nintendo, and two, Game & Watch is considered a portable console. Unlike Tomogachi stuff.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know Digmon fans don't want to hear this, but Digimon is ineligible for Smash. Tomodachi toys don't count as a video game.
dude, don't bother

we've had this argument before and we can always do it again :nifty: for the record, i agree

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One question, does Ike have two different portraits on the voice screen for his very slightly different deliveries?
If so I may have an idea of who it could potentially be

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One question, does Ike have two different portraits on the voice screen for his very slightly different deliveries?
Yeah, what about it?

If it's Three Houses related you're going in the garbage.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He does, actually, just booted up Smash to check

Who do you have in mind?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He does, actually, just booted up Smash to check

Who do you have in mind?
Someone already suggested male and female Byleth but it could also be student and lord versions of and of the house leaders.

Of them, I think Spider-Claude would have the easier time with both looks as Future Edelgard is rocking a heck of a cape and Punished Dimitri looks to have a different stance.
But creative liberties and all that.

*Enters Garbage can*

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
*Dunks into the trash* Saving Will the trouble xP

Honestly it's probably just us looking into nonexistent patterns. Someone did something similar with the soundtrack page back when the Grinch Leak was a thing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
*Dunks into the trash* Saving Will the trouble xP

Honestly it's probably just us looking into nonexistent patterns. Someone did something similar with the soundtrack page back when the Grinch Leak was a thing.
Fool! You cannot dunk what is already there!

It's simple science.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
They had been listening this time, so the complaints about Corrin and the Fire Emblem army will also reached their ears, if I where them I wouldn't try again with the same old song. And knowing that Rex-Pyrrah and Arms were left out for time reasons, the storm could be bigger if they come again with a recent character of a franchise with plenty of reps. But who knows...
If you ask me about that sound test it could be an alt for a fighter (most likely) or just a bug.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace

Well, back in the day, at least in my circles, we all were absolutely very hyped for Olimar. I know I was.
I'm not sure how this narrative that Olimar was an underwhelming final reveal came to be, from what I remember Pikmin was pretty big in the GC days and even he as a character had a decent following for Brawl. There was just a lot of confusion about how he would fight.

The other finishers weren't really too hot, though, even if I've come to love Incineroar.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wasn't box theory correct though? (I think Ken & Incineroar completed it, though I could be mistaken)
I know Digmon fans don't want to hear this, but Digimon is ineligible for Smash. Tomodachi toys don't count as a video game. Some people try and compare it to G&W, but that's not a good comparison. For one G&W was Nintendo, and two, Game & Watch is considered a portable console. Unlike Tomogachi stuff.
Google says:
vid·e·o game
/ˈvidēō ˌɡām/
noun
noun: video game; plural noun: video games; noun: videogame; plural noun: videogames
  1. a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen.
This definition is so vague that I'd say even those little 20 Questions toy thingies count as video games. Whether or not you think a pet simulator counts as a game is another story entirely, but I'd say Digimon is not ineligible.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't even like Digimon but this is bs.

Untouch

Smash Master
I can't imagine a planet where CERO would be fine with this, but Terry with a SNK Heroines alt? I mean.. that game DID just come out.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't place any stock in this because we could just end up with a voice select screen that's uneven.

However, it'd be fun to see Phoenix Wright with an Edgeworth alt, or Professor Layton with a Katrielle Layton alt.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don't place any stock in this because we could just end up with a voice select screen that's uneven.

However, it'd be fun to see Phoenix Wright with an Edgeworth alt, or Professor Layton with a Katrielle Layton alt.
While I would absolutely LOVE that, I feel Edgeworth and Katrielle would have to be echoes, which I believe are disconfirmed for the fighter pass if I'm not mistaken. Edgeworth's demeanor is very different than phoenix's, would be odd for him to have the same exact animations, likewise Katrielle has not been shown to be a fencer or contraption maker like her father.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
When it comes to the sound test theory, it could it end up being a situation where Banjo and Kazooie each have their own voice sound test things.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I would have to disagree with that, sure Digimon started as a virtual pet but the next Digimon release was a video game in 1999, January 2 months before the anime started. I think Digimon is a perfectly fine example of a legacy Video game character. Basically a Digimon character has a perfectly legible shot at being a character, doesn't mean there will be one but they have the smae chance as a character like Lloyd or Heihachi.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
When it comes to the sound test theory, it could it end up being a situation where Banjo and Kazooie each have their own voice sound test things.
Why would they? The rest of the Phantom Thieves have their sound files in Joker's.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know Digmon fans don't want to hear this, but Digimon is ineligible for Smash. Tomodachi toys don't count as a video game. Some people try and compare it to G&W, but that's not a good comparison.
I don't give two ****s about Digimon, but G&W is a perfect comparison.

For one G&W was Nintendo
The hell does this mean? That's like saying "Erdrick won't be in Smash because he's an anime swordboy. Yeah, the FE characters are anime swordboys, but they're Nintendo."

Sakurai treats everyone else the same way he treats Nintendo characters.

and two, Game & Watch is considered a portable console.
By who? It's 40+ separate consoles, with one game each? They're freakin Tiger Electronic games.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
By who? It's 40+ separate consoles, with one game each? They're freakin Tiger Electronic games.
The only classification I have found for it is a handheld electronic game. So it's kinda hard to place. Plus, they aren't actually made or associated with Tiger Electronic in any way. It was made after Gunpei Yokoi saw a man keeping himself company by fiddling with a calculator.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I don't give two ****s about Digimon, but G&W is a perfect comparison.

The hell does this mean? That's like saying "Erdrick won't be in Smash because he's an anime swordboy. Yeah, the FE characters are anime swordboys, but they're Nintendo."

Sakurai treats everyone else the same way he treats Nintendo characters.

Yeah, Yeah and Yeah

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This brings up an interesting discussion of what defines a "video game character"? It almost seems to me that the Digimon from their original devices are more video game characters than Mr. Game & Watch.

First of all, in order to define a video game character you need to define a "video game". I've only done a little bit of research but from what I've seen it's hard to determine what a "video game" is and what an "electronic game" is. I've seen people make the distinction from those Tiger Electronic games from a regular video game. But why is that so? Is it because those games are not presented in the "video" format? So I tried to look up "what is a video?" And I get sort of a vague definition that encompases a ton of different things. This subject hasn't really been thought of thoroughly. Or atleast I haven't seen a real serious discussion made on it... just petty arguments.

So for the sake of argument lets use the broadest definition of a video game which is:
A game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen.
"Other display screen"? I guess that means Digimon, Game & Watch, and Tiger Electronic games count. After all, they are games played by electronically manipulating images on a display screen.

But are they video game "characters"? Well the Digimon are certainly characters! But Mr. Game & Watch? No. He's not a character. Well. He wasn't one until Melee created him. He's a made up character that was used to represent a variety of Game & Watch games. Since then he's appeared in other titles like Game & Watch Gallery 4. But he didn't really exist until Melee conceptualized him.

Therefor I'd argue that Digimon should be considered video game characters! However, I don't really want Digimon in Smash. But that's just my personal opinion.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Digimon is a video game franchise. Whether it started out as Tamagotchi or not is irrelevant to the fact that Digimon is a video game property. And hell if you MUST go back to Tanagotchi then it is a "handheld digital pet". A video game.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Agumon did get in Smash, wouldn't he take moves exclusively from the anime though? :240: Not arguing against Agumon, it's a serious question.

Last edited:

Azcorban

Smash Cadet
Do you know him at all think Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue would have a change to get into Smash?

I just finished making a moveset in this thread and he would be possible I guess, but I don't really know about his popularity. BlazBlue is known in Japan afaik.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you know him at all think Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue would have a change to get into Smash?

I just finished making a moveset in this thread and he would be possible I guess, but I don't really know about his popularity. BlazBlue is known in Japan afaik.
sol badguy gang

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Is there anyone out there that would prefer Tamagotchi getting a rep over Digimon? Especially since Digimon is just the masculine spin-off?

Obviously Digimon got most of its development and expansion from the animes, so it makes more "sense" as a franchise to be in Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Is there anyone out there that would prefer Tamagotchi getting a rep over Digimon? Especially since Digimon is just the masculine spin-off?

Obviously Digimon got most of its development and expansion from the animes, so it makes more "sense" as a franchise to be in Smash.
While I don't mind either way, in general I really would love something a little more female-focused to get in just for the sake of variety. I have a soft spot for stuff like Story of Seasons, Style Savvy, et al. Aesthetically those kinds of series' would be very fun and different which is part of why I think the next character will be something like that, or Layton or Phoenix - a non-traditional fighter with a different demographic.

Digimon has a pretty diverse fanbase from what I've seen, though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's funny that of the two, Tamagotchi is the one that has crossed over into Nintendo games.

Either would be nice in the sense that it would not weigh the pass down so heavily with human/very humanoid characters, since other than Banjo, Crash is the only other plausible exception that comes to mind. No idea how a Tamagotchi (presumably Mametchi?) would work, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom