• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Anyways, Digimon is one of those franchises that I can't never get into the games. Anime is fine but I find that the games tend to be an absurd combination of grinding due to the amount of parameters required to get the mon you want.
I feel like a lot of the Pokémon clones (as in games with a similar gameplay premise) try to be different in the stupidest ways possible. Digimon often forces you to try and get an exact set of criteria (using systems not displayed to the player) in order to get something good and if you do poorly you literally get a poop monster. Meanwhile Yo-kai Watch seems to actively work against you if you're trying to befriend a specific Yo-kai. You have to feed the one you want until you find what it likes and then hope it decides to like you after the battle. If it doesn't (and it won't the first time) you have to run around for two to three minutes in order to find it again and repeat the process. Not only that but if you already have a Yo-kai and don't want another, but are approached by one anyway the game gets to make you feel bad because you rejected their friendship.

Semi-off topic ramblings aside, I think Agumon would be neat as a character in Smash. Mostly because I like the design, but if they went with the pet simulatoresque gameplay from the older games then it would put an interesting spin on things; making it a character that would change it's moveset based on your playstyle. Maybe they could also have some sort of powerful buff you could use at the risk of being turned into a Numemon.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Digimon is iconic, Digimon is not iconic in gaming. Every single 3rd party character we've had so far is a critical darling from a series with a long history or an interesting relationship to Nintendo (Banjo and Bayonetta). Digimon doesn't really have that.

But the Sonic/Mario rivalry is a hell of a lot of deeper than just those two characters. It was the defining trait of marketing for a console generation. Sega vs Nintendo is the historic console rivalry that has never been replicated, even during the 00s console wars (this makes them seem more epic than they were...)

Digimon and Pokemon had a rivalry that neither IP exploited and felt like it was ultimately defined by the ephemera around them rather than being centred on the games. There was no one trying to argue that Pokemon Red was a worse game than the Digimon games on the Wonderswan. But I also know the Digimon anime was 100x better than Pokemon
No, you definitely have a point but like it doesn't really disprove what I was trying to point out

Nquoid

Smash Ace
No, you definitely have a point but like it doesn't really disprove what I was trying to point out
Oh I definitely can't disprove that people want Agumon vs. Pikachu in a similar way they wanted Mario vs. Sonic.

I'm just latching onto anything discussion worthy cus the thread is so quiet, and I think it's important to note the distinction for why Mario vs. Sonic was such a logical thing to happen in Smash and why the same isn't really true for Pokemon and Digimon.

But your core point of the reductive rivalry is 100% correct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like a lot of the Pokémon clones (as in games with a similar gameplay premise) try to be different in the stupidest ways possible. Digimon often forces you to try and get an exact set of criteria (using systems not displayed to the player) in order to get something good and if you do poorly you literally get a poop monster. Meanwhile Yo-kai Watch seems to actively work against you if you're trying to befriend a specific Yo-kai. You have to feed the one you want until you find what it likes and then hope it decides to like you after the battle. If it doesn't (and it won't the first time) you have to run around for two to three minutes in order to find it again and repeat the process. Not only that but if you already have a Yo-kai and don't want another, but are approached by one anyway the game gets to make you feel bad because you rejected their friendship.

Semi-off topic ramblings aside, I think Agumon would be neat as a character in Smash. Mostly because I like the design, but if they went with the pet simulatoresque gameplay from the older games then it would put an interesting spin on things; making it a character that would change it's moveset based on your playstyle. Maybe they could also have some sort of powerful buff you could use at the risk of being turned into a Numemon.
I wouldn't call them clones per se, but as games they tend to end flat as they didn't developed a solid formula compared to Pokemon.

Main issue with Digimon is that they try keeping the monster raising mechanics and consequently make the games more complicated and grindy than necessary.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say Digimon is in the same kind of grey area as R.O.B. wherein both are interactive electronics for the purposes of entertainment while not being what the layman would consider a video game but ultimately it depends on whether A. Nintendo themselves is interested as they wrote the shortlist B. Sakurai wants it.

He does seem like a man who would limit himself on technicalities.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh yeah i lowkey forget rob isn't even from a video game he just exists

does this mean nester from nintendo power is gonna come home

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

does this mean nester from nintendo power is gonna come home
Well he has an additional problem, wherein Nintendo treats things done by their American teams as non-existent. And I'm not talking about their owned but external studios like Rare and Retro.
I'm talking the fate of Star Tropics, Geist and the second Kid Icarus game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well he has an additional problem, wherein Nintendo treats things done by their American teams as non-existent. And I'm not talking about their owned but external studios like Rare and Retro.
I'm talking the fate of Star Tropics, Geist and the second Kid Icarus game.
Myths and Monsters was only sold in America? **** no wonder they dont mention it in uprising

Also isn't StarTropics on NES Online right now?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Myths and Monsters was only sold in America? **** no wonder they dont mention it in uprising

Also isn't StarTropics on NES Online right now?
NOA treats it like a classic of the 80's. I'm not even sure NOJ even knows it exists.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
NOA treats it like a classic of the 80's. I'm not even sure NOJ even knows it exists.
That didn't answer the question.

Is the NES Online selection the same as the one in Japan? If so, wouldn't that mean they actually do have StarTropics?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters was actually represented in Brawl, in the form of a sticker.

In fact, some of modern Pit's design takes a few elements from OM&M. Namely, the laural crown.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That didn't answer the question.

Is the NES Online selection the same as the one in Japan? If so, wouldn't that mean they actually do have StarTropics?
No, the selections are different. Japan never got it as an import on the VC either.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I meeeeean that's literally the reason Sonic got in.
I don't know if that's 100% true. I'm sure was one of the biggest factors to why they wanted him, but Sonic is also a huge gaming icon. Sonic stands as a video game legend in his own right. He doesn't just need his rivalry with Mario to be a part of this roster of beloved video game characters. But Digimon? I feel like the Pokémon rivalry is the only reason why some people want it in Smash.

He is though. He's from the Robot series of games. Stack-Up and Gyromite. They are video games exclusively for R.O.B. So he is from a video game. He's a part of the game's story in which Prof. Hector and Vector created ROB to assist them in the lab. So that makes him an actual character that is a part of that game.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He is though. He's from the Robot series of games. Stack-Up and Gyromite. They are video games exclusively for R.O.B. So he is from a video game. He's a part of the game's story in which Prof. Hector and Vector created ROB to assist them in the lab. So that makes him an actual character that is a part of that game.
dude there are R.O.B. spirits and they are all literally just the toys

its meant to be the toy robot

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Those toys are a part of a video game. They exist for the games Gyromite and Stack Up and exist within those game's story. Do you even know what those are or how ROB works? Or did you just see the picture of ROB and assumed that's all it was?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
R.O.B. himself is a toy/peripheral for the two games he can be used to play. He’s a major part of a game without actually being in the game, and by that I mean he doesn’t appear on the screen. His first MAJOR appearance where he’s actually on screen, if I remember, is Mario Kart DS, with a bunch of cameos between his original peripheral release and the release of MKDS.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Those toys are a part of a video game. They exist for the games Gyromite and Stack Up and exist within those game's story. Do you even know what those are or how ROB works? Or did you just see the picture of ROB and assumed that's all it was?
Why you so mad over a video game accessory? :096: ROB is barely even a character, it's more like a tool.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
He doesn't have to be much of a character to be a character. If he is referred to as a character and even has a backstory, then he is a character.

I'm not saying he's a good video game character. I'm not saying I even like ROB. But he is what he is. Like ROBnWatch said, he's a part of those video games despite not being on screen in those games. But I don't think that should disqualify him.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He doesn't have to be much of a character to be a character. If he is referred to as a character and even has a backstory, then he is a character.

I'm not saying he's a good video game character. I'm not saying I even like ROB. But he is what he is. Like ROBnWatch said, he's a part of those video games despite not being on screen in those games. But I don't think that should disqualify him.
It never has disqualified him, but his origins are from reality itself.

Now you're making this whole conversation an essay on ROB's personality. :drflip:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
He's a part of the game's story in which Prof. Hector and Vector created ROB to assist them in the lab. So that makes him an actual character that is a part of that game.
Speaking of the Gyromite games, I kinda wish they'd represent those two in Smash somehow. Have Hector appear in a victory animation, make a Gyromite stage, etc. If Mr. Game and Watch managed to get three stages then what's holding R.O.B. back? As far as I'm concerned, he's the only character in the roster without a series stage (Miis have Find Mii, or if you want to call them Smash exclusives then there's FD, Battlefield, etc), just borrowing retro stages from other characters. Even other characters notoriously starved in content have stages (Midgard).
Edit: Is there any spirits from the game outside of R.O.B. variations?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Wikipedia is to be believed here then Digimon World released in Japan on January 28th, 1999, and the anime first aired on Fuji Television on March 7th, 1999. It's only by about a month, but what we'd all recognize as the Digimon game series predates the anime.

I wouldn't call them clones per se, but as games they tend to end flat as they didn't developed a solid formula compared to Pokemon.
I was using the term loosely due to lack of a better word.

Speaking of the Gyromite games, I kinda wish they'd represent those two in Smash somehow. Have Hector appear in a victory animation, make a Gyromite stage, etc. If Mr. Game and Watch managed to get three stages then what's holding R.O.B. back? As far as I'm concerned, he's the only character in the roster without a series stage (Miis have Find Mii, or if you want to call them Smash exclusives then there's FD, Battlefield, etc), just borrowing retro stages from other characters. Even other characters notoriously starved in content have stages (Midgard).
I totally agree.

I thought we had a Doctor Ando-I mean Professor Hector/Professor Vector spirit but it looks like the R.O.B. series only has two spirits (not counting fighter spirits because they don't really count as spirits in my eyes) with Gyromite and Stack-Up. Both are just pictures of an actual R.O.B. unit.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
If Wikipedia is to be believed here then Digimon World released in Japan on January 28th, 1999, and the anime first aired on Fuji Television on March 7th, 1999. It's only by about a month, but what we'd all recognize as the Digimon game series predates the anime.
The first Digimon game (not World, so as you say not the "main" franchise) came out in September 1998 for the Sega Saturn as well. It was literally just an expanded version of the virtual pet I believe, but it was still a release for a console.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Like what SMAASH! Puppy said. We only have a Gyromite and Stack-Up Spirit. Nothing else. Neither of them are primary spirits either, meaning R.O.B. is one of 3 characters (with Ice Climbers and Cloud) to be unable to receive a “Series Bonus” in Spirit battles.

That and the fact he doesn’t have a proper home stage yet. At least people have made some good Gyromite stages in Stage Builder.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I thought we had a Doctor Ando-I mean Professor Hector/Professor Vector spirit but it looks like the R.O.B. series only has two spirits (not counting fighter spirits because they don't really count as spirits in my eyes) with Gyromite and Stack-Up. Both are just pictures of an actual R.O.B. unit.
w a c k

Anyways, back on the topic of DLC, I just did a bit of research into what's popular in Japan, and did an educated guess on the last two DLC.
Assuming this next DLC follows a West/East dynamic as well as the "cute/cool" rule, these are my guesses.

One proposal is an Undertale rep and a Resident Evil rep. Horror and whatever genre Undertale is aren't repped in Smash (well, RPGs are, but Undertale plays nothing like any RPG I've seen), there's new releases for both on the horizon (those new RE remakes shown at E3, Deltarune Chapters 2+, etc), both are popular in Japan/States, yadda ya. The only things I can really think that take away from this are that neither would be exceptionally favored in the West (unless RE has a much larger following than I've perceived), and UT hate is almost as common as love for the game. Both'd be pretty neat though

The other one I propose would be a combination of Phoenix Wright and Doomguy. This is much more polarizing than the previous ones, but with PW practically being a Nintendo exclusive and Doom not only having every game (except three, but aren't they doing something w that?) on a Nintendo console but also being personally praised by Sakuri as the father of modern shooters, I think they've both got a fair shot. Detractions are in the ultra-violence of Doom (which can be toned down, but there'll be complaints apparently), and how leakbaity either are (but I guess that can apply to my other combo as well).

I am fully aware that names like Doom and Resident Evil are tossed around here like a baseball, but that's not a baseless assumption that they're likely- they are popular, and popularity gets characters in (Inkling, Hero).

If these were the DLC, how would y'all react?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
*Dies at 4%*
One proposal is an Undertale rep and a Resident Evil rep. Horror and whatever genre Undertale is aren't repped in Smash (well, RPGs are, but Undertale plays nothing like any RPG I've seen), there's new releases for both on the horizon (those new RE remakes shown at E3, Deltarune Chapters 2+, etc), both are popular in Japan/States, yadda ya. The only things I can really think that take away from this are that neither would be exceptionally favored in the West (unless RE has a much larger following than I've perceived), and UT hate is almost as common as love for the game. Both'd be pretty neat though

The other one I propose would be a combination of Phoenix Wright and Doomguy. This is much more polarizing than the previous ones, but with PW practically being a Nintendo exclusive and Doom not only having every game (except three, but aren't they doing something w that?) on a Nintendo console but also being personally praised by Sakuri as the father of modern shooters, I think they've both got a fair shot. Detractions are in the ultra-violence of Doom (which can be toned down, but there'll be complaints apparently), and how leakbaity either are (but I guess that can apply to my other combo as well).

I am fully aware that names like Doom and Resident Evil are tossed around here like a baseball, but that's not a baseless assumption that they're likely- they are popular, and popularity gets characters in (Inkling, Hero).

Undertale: Wait really?
Resident Evil: Cool.
Pheonix Wright: Oooooh! This is going to be so much fun!
Doom: Huh. They actually did it.

The rest of my reaction would depend on how fun they look.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
w a c k

Anyways, back on the topic of DLC, I just did a bit of research into what's popular in Japan, and did an educated guess on the last two DLC.
Assuming this next DLC follows a West/East dynamic as well as the "cute/cool" rule, these are my guesses.

Id like either. I really want both Doomguy and an RE character, so if I can get one ill be happy (would prefer both!!). RE is indeed popular in the west, we wouldnt have made 6 movie adaptations if we didnt like it. RE is also Capcoms most successful game series, outperforming Street Fighter and Monster Hunter according to wikipedia and capcons website. I could see RE being a Japan pick with Doom being a West pick assuming both get in.
Regarding the other characters, Sans/Undertale would be funny and my friend really likes Ace Attorney so itd be cool if he got in for him.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
With the whole rivalry argument I'd have to wonder where Crash would stand in it with his sorta "Mario Sonic Crash" thing going on and the whole "taunting outside Nintendo's building ad he started with". Of course it's nowhere near "Mario vs. Sonic" but it may still be notable? I'd like to research examples in that three way rivalry outside of revisionist bias.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Id like either. I really want both Doomguy and an RE character, so if I can get one ill be happy (would prefer both!!). RE is indeed popular in the west, we wouldnt have made 6 movie adaptations if we didnt like it. RE is also Capcoms most successful game series, outperforming Street Fighter and Monster Hunter according to wikipedia and capcons website. I could see RE being a Japan pick with Doom being a West pick assuming both get in.
Regarding the other characters, Sans/Undertale would be funny and my friend really likes Ace Attorney so itd be cool if he got in for him.
I most chose PW/Doom and UT/RE as a "Cute/Cool" mix. The DLC thus far (Joker/Plant, Hero/Banjo) has followed this pattern, so I made a reasonable assumption that this pattern would continue. I'd like any two of the four, but these are just the pattern I think they'll follow.

ze9

Smash Ace
Doomguy is my most wanted 3rd party character, at this point. Or at least, him and Bomberman.

SKX31

Smash Master
With the whole rivalry argument I'd have to wonder where Crash would stand in it with his sorta "Mario Sonic Crash" thing going on and the whole "taunting outside Nintendo's building ad he started with". Of course it's nowhere near "Mario vs. Sonic" but it may still be notable? I'd like to research examples in that three way rivalry outside of revisionist bias.
It actually is notable, as early as 1996:

Couldn't get the second image to work, but this link details things nicely. As a bonus, there's a section on Bubsy 3D in that EGM mag!

So yes, the press at the time took it as the big fight of that console generation.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
w a c k

Undertale and Resident Evil is what I'm personally betting on. Both are popular in the East and West, they'd bring new demographics into Smash, and Nintendo has been pushing them both heavily as of late (Undertale and Deltarune getting spots in Nintendo Directs, RE ports being advertised at E3, both being featured prominently in the Switch's advertising, etc). Popularity isn't really a problem for either franchise even if they don't have much of a Smash following. Resident Evil is Capcom's highest grossing franchise and Undertale's following is near unprecedented by indie game standards. Also I think some people over-exaggerate how polarizing Undertale actually is. An overwhelming majority of people love the game, it's just that the detractors are a vocal minority who're mostly angry towards the more questionable parts of the online fandom. Tbh that part of the fandom is inconsequential and has died down considerably since 2016, so I don't know why people keep bringing it up as a negative towards the game.

As for the Phoenix/Doomguy combo, I'd be down for that too. I love me some Ace Attorney and Doomguy seems like he'd be a ton of fun if implemented right. Just like how Undertale and Resident Evil would bring indies/bullet hell and survival horror to Smash, Ace Attorney and Doom would bring visual novels and FPSs to Smash. I'd love to see more new genres brought to the roster, so I'd happily accept either outcome.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It actually is notable, as early as 1996:

So yes, the press at the time took it as the big fight of that console generation.
Ah yes, the classic three way rivalry imagery poised in Next Generation magazine. Of course Sonic infamously missed out on his next mainline game that was going to be released on the Saturn unlike with Mario and Crash, but even so he was still Sega's golden boy and had SOME releases in those years, right?

At any rate, I don't know if it's similar to classic Digimon/Pokemon rivalry of the past in significance and duration, but at least Crash is currently quite revered worldwide, is he not?

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
lso I think some people over-exaggerate how polarizing Undertale actually is. An overwhelming majority of people love the game, it's just that the detractors are a vocal minority who're mostly angry towards the more questionable parts of the online fandom. Tbh that part of the fandom is inconsequential and has died down considerably since 2016, so I don't know why people keep bringing it up as a negative towards the game.
I utterly love the game but generally don't mention it much because people seem to associate the games w the fandom. Maybe a smash addition will improve the perception of the fans, sorta like how that minecraft boom this year made stuff like asking for Steve in Smash isn't unreasonable, in fact a fairly common and acceptable occurrence. But this is mostly just wishful thinkin.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ah yes, the classic three way rivalry imagery poised in Next Generation magazine. Of course Sonic infamously missed out on his next mainline game that was going to be released on the Saturn unlike with Mario and Crash, but even so he was still Sega's golden boy and had SOME releases in those years, right?

At any rate, I don't know if it's similar to classic Digimon/Pokemon rivalry of the past in significance and duration, but at least Crash is currently quite revered worldwide, is he not?
It could have actually been significant had Sega not crashed (I regret nothing!) during the Saturn era. Of course, we're dealing with a "What if" scenario, and those are thorny for multiple reasons. As is, it was treated as a big thing at the time, but it petered out too quickly.

You can actually see that with the EGM link I edited into the previous post after its image failed to load; 2 pages devoted to the Mario 64 preview (using a beta), one page discussing Crash as Sony's new mascot and "the hottest new product of the year"... and a little less than half a page devoted to Sonic 3D Blast, with it being squeezed out by NiGHTs. Despite EGM putting Sonic front and center on the cover, way bigger than Mario and Crash's respective images. This is because EGM focused 2 pages on the Saturn 2.0, a rerelease costing $100 less than the original.

Of course, we know now what happened, what with Sonic X-Treme and all, but it was not as clear back then. Even with Sony upstaging Sega at E3 '95, the Saturn 2.0 etc. Bernie Stolar's tenure as Sega of America President, with his "5 star game policy" and hatred of 2D / RPG games, started around New Year 1997 [EDIT].

I suggest you check the link out, it is a pretty good window at how the industry was back then.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Undertale would be interesting, but I think an Indie with a longer legacy like Shantae or Cave Story would be better to have as the first Indie rep.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I utterly love the game but generally don't mention it much because people seem to associate the games w the fandom. Maybe a smash addition will improve the perception of the fans, sorta like how that minecraft boom this year made stuff like asking for Steve in Smash isn't unreasonable, in fact a fairly common and acceptable occurrence. But this is mostly just wishful thinkin.
I've actually noticed that the stigma surrounding Undertale has died down a little bit after Deltarune came out and more people are warming up to the idea of Frisk or Sans, so a Smash reveal could be that extra push to improve the game's reputation. If Hero can get more people to try out Dragon Quest, then I'm sure Undertale in Smash could help people get over their preconceived notions of the game.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Undertale would be interesting, but I think an Indie with a longer legacy like Shantae or Cave Story would be better to have as the first Indie rep.
Undertale did come out longer than either. But Cave Story is practically forgotten nowadays and Shantae is really niche (in addition to already being deconfirmed). Undertale is also HUGE in Japan whereas both Shantae and Cave Story are less popular than 2Hou is here (which of itself is extremely niche).
I've actually noticed that the stigma surrounding Undertale has died down a little bit after Deltarune came out and more people are warming up to the idea of Frisk or Sans, so a Smash reveal could be that extra push to improve the game's reputation. If Hero can get more people to try out Dragon Quest, then I'm sure Undertale in Smash could help people get over their preconceived notions of the game.
I hope so. It's a good game.

Now if only we got any more news on Deltarune...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like Quote would be one of the more hated characters if he was added to Super Smash Bros. All of the weapons in Cave Story are ranged so the character would be a zoner (which seems to be everyone's least favorite archetype in any fighting game), and his leveling mechanics would likely give him a huge snowball aspect to his gameplay. He either trounces you or is an absolute joke.

Still think Cave Story should have some sort of representation if we get an indie character in Smash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom