• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No Snake pffff oh well. Would've been cool. I wonder what was up with the Codec noise though.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
...if that's the case... what if the new Smash reveal trailer was supposed to involve a Snake codec and the AV guy in the back goofed and started it too soon?

OH MAN IT'S HAPPENING MY DUDES, SMASH REVEAL LESGOOOOOOOOOOOOO
We just got a new character and Banjo is still in development, why would they announce a 4th character so soon after the 2nd one dropped

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We just got a new character and Banjo is still in development, why would they announce a 4th character so soon after the 2nd one dropped
The same reason they announced Banjo right after Hero maybe? Good thing to make a big spectacle while you have the world watching.

I don't see it but, hey it could happen.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Welp looks like nothing happened at EVO as I expected. Figured it'd be too early to announce anything, but I'm just happy to live in a world where Joker not only gets to be in Smash, but wins the biggest fighting game tournament.

D

Deleted member

Turns out Snake's cameo during the Tekken tourney was evo's doing and not Bandai Namco's.

What a way to get people's hopes up for nothing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Turns out Snake's cameo during the Tekken tourney was evo's doing and not Bandai Namco's.

1564982476956.png

Namco finna take EVO to the streets.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Welp looks like nothing happened at EVO as I expected. Figured it'd be too early to announce anything, but I'm just happy to live in a world where Joker not only gets to be in Smash, but wins the biggest fighting game tournament.
Yeah, always smart to not expect Nintendo announcements at competitions. Sad, but it's how it is.

The top 8 was really good. More than worth destroying my sleep time for tomorrow.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Frankly, it's just as I expected. No news regarding the fourth fighter until Banjo is said and done. Or well, I just feel secure to claim that when Nintendo's got all of Q3 before the next characters show up.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sad about no Snake in Tekken. But very happy that Joker won! What an amazing top eight! Well worth staying up late for.

Now we wait. I'm predicting next month we get a tease, or early October.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The same reason they announced Banjo right after Hero maybe? Good thing to make a big spectacle while you have the world watching.

I don't see it but, hey it could happen.
I think the only reason Banjo was shown is because Sakurai's aware that Western audiences might not be excited for Hero. So he dicided to also show Banjo to make them happy as well.

From this point on I think the last 2 fighters will only be shown once the one before them is released. But this is speculation. I could be wrong.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So big question I've been tinkering with lately:

What about MMOs? Obviously not gonna happen anytime soon, but in the future I think it's an interesting prospect if they want to dabble into the PC and computer games. Something like MapleStory, Warcraft, and RuneScape is what I can consider as big contenders.

I guess the same question applies to big MOBAs like League and Dota.
MOBAs are more likely of those two IMHO. They've at least begun to arrive on the Switch, and the LoL / Dota 2 rivalry (and the boatloads of cash being spent on those two games) indirectly affected Smash's competitive scene a lot. it's what lead to Smashers being sponsored by energy drinks and orgs that started out as MOBA teams - giving the pros a lot of exposure. Sure, Sakurai doesn't care about that, but Pro Smashers helped to show off Smash 4 and Ultimate via invitationals. Without the whole process things would've looked at least somewhat different.

While I'm a Dota 2 guy myself, I won't deny that Valve has other options they'll likely prioritize. Gordon Freeman, TF2 Heavy and Chell most likely. Also, while it's popular in China / SEA / Russia, Dota 2's completely obscure in Japan. Yea, Japan's not known as a computer heaven, but Valve's complete lack of marketing doesn't help.

LoL has probably the best chance. Talked about that before, but with Tencent handling the Switch's Chinese release, LoL's better known status in Japan (LoL's still niche in Japan, but it's an advantage over Dota 2) and LoL's worldwide popularity I've begun to count it as a possible surprise pick. As for possible character from that game, I'm leaning towards long-time headliners like Ryze or Ahri.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

[TWEET]

So it was "Just a prank, bro!"?
Man, what a way to take the wind out of one of the few non-leaked reveals.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh hey i didn't know japan had it's own EVO tournament in the country

i wonder where smash is in that li-

1564997590221.png

why is smash bros not in their main lineup

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
oh hey i didn't know japan had it's own EVO tournament in the country

i wonder where smash is in that li-

View attachment 233632

why is smash bros not in their main lineup
A better question would be "why do they only have 6 games instead of 9 like the usual EVO".

It's not like they are 2D fighter elitists. ARMS was there a few years ago, so...

I can certainly understand Guilty Gear and KOF in the lineup, though. My guess was that it would be the same lineup as EVO, but with KOF and GG in place of UNIST and MK.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I could see an Advanced Wars character being pretty interesting. Especially if it was riding a tank. *Gasps* Incineroar could suplex a tank! I NEEEEEED THIS!!!!!!

Plot Twist: Fire Emblem x Advanced Wars. The proposal went like this:

Person doing the pitch (Pitcher): Hey, you remember Advanced Wars?
Intelligent Systems (IS): What about it?
Pitcher: Let's do a crossover with Fire Emblem. We'd call it Fire Emblem: Advanced Warfare.
IS: I'm not sure that wo-
Pitcher: *Shows a picture of Marth trying to figure out how a tank works.*
IS: LETS DO IT!
And then you get into the more peculiar weapon users...
Imagine being some rando soldier in a war and then a literal dragon comes out, or a mage throws a meteor at you, or something like that
"Advanced Wars: Dragon Edition"
Not (:\) Coming soon to the Nintendo Switch!

An Advanced Wars rep is interesting as an idea because the commanders themselves don't ever directly fight, as opposed to FE where your captain can fight alongside their comrades no issue. You could go the Project M route of just making an AW rep war-themed in general (Sami was planned to be a fighter, a semiclone of PM Snake), you could use a summoning mechanic (so one of your specials makes three mini pixelated tanks appear, for an example), you could go the tank route, or you could do some weird hybrid. Either way it'd be an amazing newcomer in my books, a good way to show the last actual 1st/2nd series (TWELVE GAMES) not currently in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
May I ask, what do you mean by this? I've heard some people mention this but I've never heard
The people at EVO played Snake's codex sound effect during the Tekken 7 Tournament. Everyone thought this meant Snake was going to be in Tekken 7 but it was just EVO trying to be funny. I'm sure Namco's not too happy with them for doing that.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The people at EVO played Snake's codex sound effect during the Tekken 7 Tournament. Everyone thought this meant Snake was going to be in Tekken 7 but it was just EVO trying to be funny. I'm sure Namco's not too happy with them for doing that.
Oh, I bet everyone was asking Harada for **** afterwards. Exactly what he didn't want.

But in all seriousness... that doesn't sound like a good idea. Not because of fans' expectations - it would be "just a prank" if it was that way - but these things can actually land devs in some minor trouble, especially concerning people spamming them on social media.

Overall, just not cool.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
That's disappointing.

Yeah, seems that joke pissed off a lot of people with some even wondering if Bamco and Konami could pursue legal action for it
I honestly think that a lawsuit could happen to EVO.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
There's nothing to sue for. It didn't tease the character, it was just a thing for the live crowd of Snake saying that it was some good-ass Tekken. It didn't hint that he'd be added, people (myself included) just jumped to conclusions. It was literally about the tournament, didn't even imply he was going to be added.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I feel like if Heihachi was being added to Smash, EVO would have been the perfect time to reveal him, even it would be a bit early. I mean, Joker didn’t even have gameplay in his initial reveal, so why couldn’t they have done the same for Heihachi?

I mean yeah, he could be the 5th character, but I’m really doubting his chances after getting no hints at EVO.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I feel like if Heihachi was being added to Smash, EVO would have been the perfect time to reveal him, even it would be a bit early. I mean, Joker didn’t even have gameplay in his initial reveal, so why couldn’t they have done the same for Heihachi?

I mean yeah, he could be the 5th character, but I’m really doubting his chances after getting no hints at EVO.
Don't think it actually matters since Banjo has already been announced and Nintendo likely doesn't want to take attention away from him. Sakurai's too much of a fighting game enthusiast and Tekken's too iconic a franchise for anybody to ever write off Tekken's chances short of an outright disconfirmation from Bamco/Harada.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Imagine being some rando soldier in a war and then a literal dragon comes out, or a mage throws a meteor at you, or something like that
"Advanced Wars: Dragon Edition"
I mean, it's not really that different than being some rando soldier in a war and then a helicopter gunship comes out, or a missile gets launched at you.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Yeah, always smart to not expect Nintendo announcements at competitions. Sad, but it's how it is.

The top 8 was really good. More than worth destroying my sleep time for tomorrow.
Guess who watched EVO Finals up to 1:15 AM Eastern Time?

<--This idiot.

In all seriousness though, the Smash finals were fun. I was actually rooting for Tweek to win the tournament, but MKLeo definitely earned that win.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'm just hoping that some first parties will get in. We can't only have third parties. Otherwise its not a Nintendo fighting game if it has fifteen guest stars.
Since when is fifteen higher than sixty?

Not that it matters much, because Sakurai (and probably Nintendo too) do not find Smash to be about Nintendo characters anymore.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Guess who watched EVO Finals up to 1:15 PM Eastern Time?

<--This idiot.

In all seriousness though, the Smash finals were fun. I was actually rooting for Tweek to win the tournament, but MKLeo definitely earned that win.
Oh ho, 1:15? It was close to 3 AM on the 5th over here. Hooray for sleep deprivation.

And yeah, I was divided between Tweek (PT was my first main in Ultimate) and MKLeo (Joker is my current main). Really good sets, though. Tweek dropped his momentum hard in match 3 and 4...

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Okay, how about this:

If they did announce a new fighter at EVO, what series of fighting games that appeared (not just played) at EVO would get a rep in SSBU?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay, how about this:

If they did announce a new fighter at EVO, what series of fighting games that appeared (not just played) at EVO would get a rep in SSBU?
Heihachi from Tekken is probably the most likely, but my personal pick would have to be Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear. I also would say that Terry Bogard or Mai Shiranui from SNK/King of Fighters is a sleeper pick.

Sol would bring such amazing music to the fight and the Guilty Gear series has my favorite fighting game ever in it (Accent Core+R, and it's available on Switch!) as well as a Nintendo-exclusive game Dust Strikers.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m surprised we didn’t even get an announcement of an announcement at EVO...

Then again isn’t some kinda invitational coming up? For North America? Maybe there will be something there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom