• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Are they any 1st party franchises in Smash that you guys believe needs another character or two to feel completely represented (as in, the core cast are all present)?
I know this meant to be about characters but I think some franchises could feel better represented with just a few addition to music or stages.
-Pac-Man: Not my jam, but a few source tracks and spirits from things like Pacman World would appease a lot of people imo. Bringing back Pac-Maze would be nice, too.
-Punch-Out!!: Only has 5 music tracks. Add a Super Punch-Out!! track or two like the Minor Circuit or Major Circuit themes and maybe the Wii Credits theme.
-Wario: A Land-themed stage and tracks, or even just the tracks and a skin of Gamer that turns it into Toy Block Tower from Wario Land 4. Shocked that they didn't ask Intelligent Systems for music from WarioWare Gold despite getting tons from Echoes and Codename STEAM's Fire Emblem remixes. WarioWare Gold has both definitive versions of older Ware tracks (Drifting Away, Body Rock, ) and some new bangers (Wario Deluxe).

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honest question, What character is a Lock for Smash 6, in the Same way Inkling was for the next Smash Game after 4?

And I'm talking about Newcomers here...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honest question, What character is a Lock for Smash 6, in the Same way Inkling was for the next Smash Game after 4?

If I had to pick I’d say either Rex, or Spring Man (both could be a Chrom like sitch where they get in due to sheer demand). Maybe a Gen 8 too if we don’t get one as DLC for Ult

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

In terms of specific characters and not generalities like a new Pokemon, I’m pretty sure said character doesn’t even exist yet. There might be one if Nintendo manages to create a new IP in the near future that turns out to be a massive hit with significant staying power (much like Splatoon was,) but otherwise there won’t be one.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay, maybe not a lock like Inkling

How bout any characters likely for Smash 6 like Isabelle was for Ultimate

If I had to pick I’d say either Rex, or Spring Man (both could be a Chrom like sitch where they get in due to sheer demand). Maybe a Gen 8 too if we don’t get one as DLC for Ult
Knowing you, I thought you would have said Octoling for this, if they aren't in Ultimate DLC or something, considering how popular they are in Splatoon anyway

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here’s something fun to talk about: Take every series that has exactly one fighter in Smash and give them a second character.
Here's mine.^-^
:ultyoshi: : Poochy
:ultfalcon:: Bio-Rex
:ulticeclimbers:: Polar Bear
:ultgnw:: Don't know?
:ultwario:: Shake King
:ultsnake:: Psycho Mantis
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman
:ultolimar:: Titan Dweevil
:ultrob:: Professor Hector
:ultmegaman:: Fire Man/Ice Man/Electric Man (Just like Pokemon Trainer)
:ultwiifittrainer:: Wii Fit Board
:ultlittlemac:: King Hippo
:ultmiifighters:: Mii Hammer (Wields a large hammer like Dedede)
:ultpacman:: Spooky
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultduckhunt:: The tree from the Duck Hunt stage
:ultcloud:: Vivi Ornitier (I would pick his chibi design from World of FF)
:ultbayonetta:: Father Balder
:ultjoker:: Yu Narukami
:ulthero:: Slime (Was considered before Hero was picked)
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ult_terry:: Mai Shiranui (She would be wearing clothing for censorship)
:ultminmin: Helix (My most wanted ARMS character)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey I can say for sure we will know FP7 this week next year...
Hey by this time next year we'll probably even know who FP8 is.

Ring Fit... Trainee?

The MC from Ring Fit.

There's no way there won't be more recent Xenoblade and Pokemon characters by Smash 6.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, maybe not a lock like Inkling

How bout any characters likely for Smash 6 like Isabelle was for Ultimate

Knowing you, I thought you would have said Octoling for this, if they aren't in Ultimate DLC or something, considering how popular they are in Splatoon anyway
I am precisely hoping Octoling will be in this DLC

there have been rumors of a Splatoon 2 spinoff (possibly OE style DLC) coming according to Era

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Bandana Dee, about time Kirby needs a newcomer.

Also a Mario/Pokemon/Fire Emblem rep cause they get new reps for each game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Pokémon and Fire Emblem because that’s all Sakurai cares about. Oh, and maybe the next niche Japanese franchise he’s a fan of.

Okay, in all seriousness, I’d argue that (besides the former two) Bowser and Inkling were always the only true locks when it comes to Smash 64 sequels.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
if Rex and/or a generation 8 Pokémon don't show up as DLC then they will have missed their chance, since Xenoblade Chronicles X Remastered, Xenoblade Chronicles X 2, or Xenoblade Chronicles 3, and the Generation 9 games will be the newest games in their respective series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Normally I'm also against classifying characters as locks, since people play fast and loose with the term - as they're doing now - but I actually think there is one for next game, and let's be real here people, it's Ring Fit... character.

The game is basically a Splatoon-level success, and it's going to keep performing as long as people are stuck inside. If I'm not mistaken it's now made its way to China? Nintendo isn't done with it by a long shot.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Things can change pretty fast so I wouldn't call them a lock but I'd say Akira Howard from Astral chain have really strong chances considering that Platinum games is planning to make a trilogy of the ip (and yes, it is a Nintendo ip). If the next Smash games is 5 years from now or so, I think Astral chain will have is second game release, maybe even the trilogy depending how things goes. I could see also Ring fit having a lot of chances, especially if Nintendo make a sequel or more (which wouldn't surprise me considering the game's huge success).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Normally I'm also against classifying characters as locks, since people play fast and loose with the term - as they're doing now - but I actually think there is one for next game, and let's be real here people, it's Ring Fit... character.

The game is basically a Splatoon-level success, and it's going to keep performing as long as people are stuck inside. Nintendo isn't done with it by a long shot.
That is true, the Ring Fit Trainee is probably a solid pick that everyone will overlook because "lol fitness game".

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It'll be a bad thing in the sense that just like FP1, discussion will veer in one direction and any other options will be tossed out as unlikely.

"What? A first party character for FP1? It's all going to be 3rd party. There's no way they'd have a 1st party when everything else has been 3rd party."
Nah, even if we get first party characters for the next 4 fighters, people will still be looking for a huge third party character to be the next. The past year has drastically changed what people are willing to speculate about.
I'm not talking about certain ATs getting discussed more, but a hypothetical where we DO get an upgrade, but it's not "the most deserving one" to people's eyes. It'll obviously get ugly, using our examples, would Isaac fans be fine with Alucard proving ATs can still be DLC even if he was the only one? No, I don't think they would be. It's why AT promotion is so hard to wrap my head around personally, we only have 5 characters left meaning even if they for some reason are all AT promotions, there's like 50 other interesting options available with angered fans
As a huge Isaac fan, I'd be totally down for Alucard, or many other third party ATs. Honestly, there's very few ways to go wrong with an AT. While I can't speak for everyone, I really don't get that feeling of competition between AT fandoms. I think if anything, they'd be seen as a great sign (you didn't see many rooting for Spring Man for nothing).

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical if we are even getting cuts to Smash 6.

I remember before Ultimate's "EVERYONE IS HERE!" moment was revealed, everyone thought cuts were occuring.

And honestly, I feel like Smash 6 won't come for a long, LONG time.

toonito

Smash Ace

As others have mentioned now that we'd be 6 games in then:

New Pokemon: at least 1 new character every smash game
New Fire Emblem: at least 1 new character every game since Melee
New Mario: If you count Yoshi and Wario as part of the larger Mario franchise then Mario has also had at least 1 new character every smash game (never really thought about this until now lol)

I try to shy away from 100% lock predictions but IMO these two have a high chance of appearing in Smash 6

Ring Fit Adventure: ARMS got in Smash after selling 2 million copies and Ring Fit has doubled those sales so I think it might be the 1st newcomer for Smash 6; unexpected breakout hit like Splatoon 1

New Animal Crossing: Based the success of New Horizons AC may get new content whether a character, stage, etc.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The game is basically a Splatoon-level success, and it's going to keep performing as long as people are stuck inside. If I'm not mistaken it's now made its way to China? Nintendo isn't done with it by a long shot.
Honestly, I think the only potential hurdle to Ring Fit Adventurer is the fact that next Smash game is probably a reboot.

It's a successful new IP sure, but that may not be a priority when they're trying to create a new roster from scratch.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like if Ring Fit got in Smash 6, She would replace Wii Fit Trainer
Depending on how comprehensive the cuts are, maybe WFT doesn't make it back, but "replacing" isn't really a thing unless you're swapping out one child Link for another.

I mean it took a long time for people to stop saying Lucario replaced Mewtwo. And Ike Roy.

Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical if we are even getting cuts to Smash 6.

I remember before Ultimate's "EVERYONE IS HERE!" moment was revealed, everyone thought cuts were occuring.

And honestly, I feel like Smash 6 won't come for a long, LONG time.
If they use Ultimate as a base like they did Smash 4 for this one perhaps not. Though even still I wouldn't expect every third-party to return. If they build it more from the ground up as it typical, yeah, I do expect more extensive cuts. Even Sakurai said something like this won't happen again.

So you can't say he didn't warn us.

Honestly, I think the only potential hurdle to Ring Fit Adventurer is the fact that next Smash game is probably a reboot.

It's a successful new IP sure, but that may not be a priority when they're trying to create a new roster from scratch.
I feel like a reboot would still aim to include a typical amount of newcomers. Even if the remaining vets get revamped, the newcomers are still a huge draw.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like a reboot would still aim to include a typical amount of newcomers. Even if the remaining vets get revamped, the newcomers are still a huge draw.
Eh maybe.

Not every fighting game focuses on bringing in newcomers.

Some recent examples include Base SFV and MvCI.

D

Deleted member

It is so strange to think we still have five characters left to speculate about.

Considering the delays to projects...

This is going to be a loooooong ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean it took a long time for people to stop saying Lucario replaced Mewtwo. And Ike Roy.
It probably took the characters coming back in both cases. lol

Eh maybe.

And, incidentally, both of those games were hated on launch with the base roster being one of the biggest complaints.

Even if the roster size stabilizes, we can probably still expect to see a decent amount of newcomers each game.

D

Deleted member

but we're talking about Smash :4pacman:
Honestly. How is Smash a party game?

It has some party aspects to it, but I wouldn't consider it a full on party game.

The characters aren't having fun, they are beating each-other up to win. It doesn't really feel like a party, despite the items and RNG.

Fighting games have RNG in it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Eh maybe.

And those games got slandered to hell and back on release for its lack of new characters.

Shame too, cos MvCI's gameplay is amazing.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Being Honest, I think Smash 6 can Top Ultimate, even if they cut like 3/4 roster

They just need A Whole bunch of New stuff that's good.

Newcomers like Sora, Crash, Kratos, Chief (in base game) would go along way at making up for Deep Cuts like Cloud, Banjo, alot of FE Characters, and Peach, among others

Story Mode stuff and Very Good Single Player would also go along way

Cool stuff like Custom Characters (both Miis and actual characters), Custom Gameplay, Costumes, would also be good.

Having some of the best Graphics would be awesome

and of course, Updating the gameplay to be 1000X better than Smash Ultimate.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know if those are the best Examples to Cite though...
And, incidentally, both of those games were hated on launch with the base roster being one of the biggest complaints.

Even if the roster size stabilizes, we can probably still expect to see a decent amount of newcomers each game.
And those games got slandered to hell and back on release for its lack of new characters.
I'm aware of their poor reception.

But a rebooted Smash may go in a similar direction, whether we like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom