• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dr. Andonuts is an EarthBound character. The “doctor” from the R.O.B. games is Professor Hector.
I know. I forgot the name, and decided to put Dr. Andonuts instead to see how long it would take for people to notice. Apparently, 2 seconds. lol

He's technically a video game character but his origins are from a real-life toy.
Does it count as the character originating from real life if he's an oc made from a real life thing? He's not like R.O.B. in that he is himself the toy, he's a character beyond that. It's an interesting line to think about.

EDIT:
Y’all forgetting Punch Out
Probably because I skipped over it in my list. I'll go ahead and fix it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since we're kinda on the topic of Lego, and people don't wanna talk about Geno, what do people think of Chase McCain getting into Smash?
View attachment 284776
He's technically a video game character but his origins are from a real-life toy. It would kinda be like R.O.B. and Geralt.
EDIT: I just realized he's a cop, that might not go well lmao.
AN INVITATION

HAS FALLEN INTO THE RIVER

IN LEGO CITY

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I know. I forgot the name, and decided to put Dr. Andonuts instead to see how long it would take for people to notice. Apparently, 2 seconds. lol
Literally the only reason I know is because I enjoy the EarthBound series and I have watched a video or two on R.O.B.’s origins. The odds of finding someone that knows both of these tidbits are probably very slim and I just so happened to be among those people. You couldn’t have predicted this, lol. (Even if the odds are probably higher than what I think they are.)

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I'm actually curious what dead franchises are out there right now that you would like to see a revival of to go with a new character being announced. Hypothetically.
BB274635-CBF0-4A18-8E04-F999B34FE438.jpeg

I think Tomba would be cool. His series died on the PS1, its developer went out of business, and there’s not much demand for him in Smash or interest in a revival of the series, so no chance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here’s something fun to talk about: Take every series that has exactly one fighter in Smash and give them a second character.
I'm no expert on some of these series, but here are my picks.

:ultbanjokazooie: - Not really sure. I would be fine with anyone.
:ultbayonetta: - Rodin
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow
:ultcloud: - Not an expert on this. I would be fine with anyone.
:ulthero: - Slime
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultjoker: - Batman Anyone from Persona would be fine. I'm not an expert on this.
:ultlittlemac: - Doc Louis
:ultmegaman: - Zero
:ultminmin - Twintelle
:ultolimar: - Alph
:ultpacman: - Mrs. Pac-Man
:ultrob: - Legit no clue.
:ultshulk: - Not an expert on this either. I would be fine with anyone. I need to finish Xenoblade Chronicles 1, but Terraria.
:ultsnake: - Raiden
:ultsonic: - Tails
:ult_terry: - Not an expert on this. I would be fine with anyone.
:ultwario: - Waluigi

I probably forgot some fighters, but oh well. This is difficult.

I am not sure for the remaining series, such as Ice Climbers, Yoshi, Game and Watch, and R.O.B..

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Here’s something fun to talk about: Take every series that has exactly one fighter in Smash and give them a second character.
My basic-as-hell, noncontroversial list:
  1. Yoshi (Poochie)
  2. F-Zero (Samurai Goroh)
  3. Ice Climber (Polar Bear))
  4. Game & Watch (G&W Mario)
  5. Wario (Captain Syrup)
  6. Metal Gear (Raiden)
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog (Dr. Eggman)
  8. Pikmin (Plasm Wraith)
  9. R.O.B. (Professor Hector)
  10. Mega Man (Dr. Wily)
  11. Wii Fit (Balance Board)
  12. Punch-Out (Mr. Sandman)
  13. Mii (Arcade Bunny)
  14. PAC-MAN (Ms. PAC-MAN)
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles (Elma)
  16. Duck Hunt (Mike Anderson)
  17. Final Fantasy (Gilgamesh)
  18. Bayonetta (Rodin)
  19. Splatoon (Octoling)
  20. Persona (Jack Frost)
  21. Dragon Quest (Slime)
  22. Banjo-Kazooie (Gruntilda)
  23. Fatal Fury (Geese Howard)
  24. ARMS (Twintelle)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Does it count as the character originating from real life if he's an oc made from a real life thing? He's not like R.O.B. in that he is himself the toy, he's a character beyond that. It's an interesting line to think about.

EDIT:

Probably because I skipped over it in my list. I'll go ahead and fix it.
Well, you're right. Chase debuted in a video game so he is eligible for Smash. Other characters in his situation include Android 21, Clementine, and Cal Kestis.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
:ultbanjokazooie: -Gruntilda
:ultbayonetta: -Masked Lumen/Balder
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow
:ultcloud: -Sephiroth (if FF7), Terra (if FF General)
:ulthero: - Slime
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultjoker: - Violet (Kasumi)
:ultlittlemac: - Glass Joe
:ultmegaman: - Zero
:ultminmin - Dr Coyle
:ultolimar: - Plasm Wrath
:ultpacman: -Ghosts
:ultshulk: -Elma
:ultsnake: - Raiden
:ultsonic: -Dr Eggman
:ult_terry: - Geese Howard
:ultwario: -Ashley
:ultyoshi: - Kamek

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
It would really depend on how well it could handle the new set of animations it needed. I'm sure the model itself is high enough in quality, we would just need to know if the rigging would be good enough. My best guess would be no because he's from an RPG, which doesn't need nearly as detailed animations, but I could be wrong on that front.

I think they're good on that front

D

Deleted member

What is all this wanting discount Batman over Samurai Goroh you philistines

Smarten up, this is unacceptable
I haven't played a single F-Zero game, so how would I know?

I know who the characters are, but I am not too familiar with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What is all this wanting discount Batman over Samurai Goroh you philistines

Smarten up, this is unacceptable
Broke: Put Black Shadow in Smash because he's a placeholder for Ganondorf's moveset and...I dunno, he looks evil enough to pull off a warlock punch.
Woke: Put Samurai Goroh in because he's been a consistent assist trophy and is the only major character in the Melee intro not yet playable.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
:ultyoshi: Kamek
:ultfalcon: Samurai Goroh
:ulticeclimbers: Polar Bear
:ultwario:Mona
:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultsonic:Dr. Eggman
:ultolimar:Alph (promote him to echo status)
:ultrob: Professor Hector
:ultmegaman:Zero
:ultwiifittrainer: Wii Balance Board
:ultlittlemac:Glass Joe
:ultpacman:Ms Pac Man
:ultshulk:Elma
:ultcloud:Terra
:ultbayonetta:Rodin
:ultinkling:Octolings
:ultjoker:Yu
:ulthero:Slime
:ultbanjokazooie:Mumbo Jumbo
:ult_terry:Kyo
:ultminminNinjara

I ain't even gonna try for :ultgnw: or :ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I’ll also answer my own question:

1. Yoshi: Kamek
  2. F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
  3. Ice Climber: Polar Bear
  4. Game & Watch: n/a
  5. WarioWare (also includes the Wario Land series): Captain Syrup
  6. Metal Gear: Big Boss
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog: Tails
  8. Pikmin: Alph
  9. R.O.B. (includes the Robot series of games): Professor Vector
  10. Mega Man: Proto Man
  11. Wii Fit: Balance Board:
  12. PUNCH-OUT!!: King Hippo
  13. Mii: Sebastian Tute?
  14. PAC-MAN: Ms. PAC-Man
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles: Elma
  16. Duck Hunt (also includes the other Light Gun series games): Mr. Stevenson
  17. Final Fantasy: Terra
  18. Bayonetta: Jeannie
  19. Splatoon: Octoling
  20. Persona 5: idk
  21. Dragon Quest: Female Hero
  22. Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
  23. Fatal Fury: Geese Howard
  24. ARMS: Springman

toonito

Smash Ace
  1. Yoshi (Kamek)
  2. F-Zero (Black Shadow)
  3. Ice Climber (Polar Bear)
  4. Game & Watch (G&W Mario)
  5. Wario (Ashley)
  6. Metal Gear (Raiden)
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog (Tails)
  8. Pikmin (Plasm Wraith)
  9. R.O.B. (Professor Hector)
  10. Mega Man (Zero)
  11. Wii Fit (Balance Board)
  12. Punch-Out (Doc Louis)
  13. Mii (Arcade Bunny)
  14. PAC-MAN (Ms. PAC-MAN)
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles (Elma)
  16. Duck Hunt (Mike Anderson)
  17. Final Fantasy (Tifa Lockhart)
  18. Bayonetta (Jeanne)
  19. Splatoon (Octoling)
  20. Persona (Jack Frost)
  21. Dragon Quest (Slime)
  22. Banjo-Kazooie (Gruntilda)
  23. Fatal Fury (Geese Howard)
  24. ARMS (Spring Man)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure if the Miis count, since arguably, there's three of them.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda. Mumbo Jumbo would be nice, but after replaying Banjo-Tooie, his moves are a lot more limited than I remember them being.
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne, because Bayonetta should have her BFF in the game.
:ultfalcon:: Zoda. I have no idea why, but he's a supervillain, and they could throw some Star Tropics references in there. (it would be nice to see the series get something in Smash)
:ultcloud:: Terra Branford. If we're just limiting it to Final Fantasy 7, then Tifa.
:ultduckhunt:: I checked to see if there were any NES Zapper games that weren't covered in Duck Hunt's moveset. The only one that I could find was Gumshoe, so I'll go with the main character from that, Mr. Stevenson. (it's a bit of a stretch, but Duck Hunt is basically a character representing the NES Zapper as a whole)
:ulthero3:: The DragonLord. I figure it would be a nod to the first game of the series, and he's crossed over with Mario in Fortune Street on the Wii.
:ulticeclimbers:: the polar bear with sunglasses? He's pretty cool. (pun not intended)
:ultinkling:: Octoling. I don't think I need to elaborate here; they're an easy clone/semi-clone, and they proved popular enough to get an entire DLC campaign dedicated to making them playable.
:ultjoker:: Elizabeth. I haven't played much of Persona 3 or Persona 4 Arena, but she seems like she'd be entertaining, and I'd like to change it up a bit rather than just going with the protagonist from another game. If we're limiting it to Persona 5, then I'm not sure whether to go with Kasumi or Makoto.
:ultlittlemac:: Mr. Sandman. With his behaviour in the Title Defense match in Punch-Out for the Wii, it's the closest that we'll get to Mike Tyson in the series.
:ultmegaman:: Sigma. Part of it is because I'm not sure whether we're still ruling out assist trophies, and part of it is because I feel like the game should have more villains.
:ultminmin: Dr. Coyle; if spirits had kept characters out of Smash for whatever reason, she would have been my pick for the ARMS character.
:ultgnw:: ...are there really any options here? Not sure if I should treat this as a retro category, but I feel like that would be cheating. I see that Donkey Kong 3 got a release on the Game & Watch, so my pick is Stanley the Bugman, I guess.
:ultolimar:: the Plasm Wraith. A weird choice, I'm sure, but I could see it working, and there are implications that it's also the Water Wraith from Pikmin 2, or at least connected to it.
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pac-Man. I get that there's some kind of legal issues involved, though it's not bad enough to keep her from appearing in the Pac-Land stage.
:ultrob:: Professor Hector from Gyromite, who's basically the only option as far as I know.
:ultshulk:: Elma. From what I've played of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I'm not a fan of Rex. I don't want them to focus too much on the first game (otherwise, I might have picked Seven), and I think that Elma could have a pretty interesting playstyle from what I've played of Xenoblade Chronicles X.
:ultsnake:: Raiden. Aside from the fact that he'd have a different playstyle compared to Big Boss and Snake, it would give them a reason to put Metal Gear Rising music in the game.
:ultsonic:: I'm torn between Tails and Dr. Eggman. I'll go with Tails, though it could honestly go either way.
:ult_terry:: Geese Howard. Though the input for his Super Special Moves would likely have to change; I have no idea how you're supposed to pull off Raging Storm, and the input for that is also known as "the Pretzel".
:ultwario:: Captain Syrup - I'd like to see some references to Wario Land in there beyond a single song and some spirits.
:ultwiifittrainer:: ...the Wii Fit Balance Board? Not sure; I've only played Wii Fit once or twice.
:ultyoshi:: Kamek. I haven't played much in the way of Yoshi's games, but while Baby Bowser would play differently from Bowser Junior/the Koopalings, I feel like Kamek would be more visually distinct.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I mean, how's NIS doing right now? I definetely think they'd go for a Disgaea rep if offered the chance, but I heard they were having some money-related problems...
Rather, it is a not very large company that makes niche games so they are not very wealthy but they still maintain their standard by launching games with normal frequency and publishing others.

keleyeemoh

Smash Apprentice
Broke: Put Black Shadow in Smash because he's a placeholder for Ganondorf's moveset and...I dunno, he looks evil enough to pull off a warlock punch.
Woke: Put Samurai Goroh in because he's been a consistent assist trophy and is the only major character in the Melee intro not yet playable.
What about all those Pokémon in the Melee intro?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I'm actually curious what dead franchises are out there right now that you would like to see a revival of to go with a new character being announced. Hypothetically.
Grandia is the big one for me. Would also expand the cross-over with a new company as there's no Gungho content in the game. I have no idea who they'd choose though. I would hope Ryudo, but we're not exactly talking about any recognizable characters here, not even at the series heights.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To propose a new character Laharl from the disgaea series, what do you think?
View attachment 284783
Think I read up on this series once, but I don't remember it that much. Could you please give some context?
I mean, how's NIS doing right now? I definetely think they'd go for a Disgaea rep if offered the chance, but I heard they were having some money-related problems...
I mean, we got SNK, and they're pretty small at the moment.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quest 64 with Brian, of course.

F-Zero with Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow(Black Shadow would make a great Echo for Ganondorf).

Golden Sun with Isaac, too.

About the only ones I can hard think of at the moment(that I consider actually dead, but also that I have interest in having a character).

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
What about all those Pokémon in the Melee intro?
And if you really want to be THAT guy, there's also the hand that grabs Mario's trophy at the beginning, the baby Metroid, the Great Deku Tree, Saria, Navi, Malon, Darunia, King Zora, Princess Ruto, Rauru, Impa, the walking chozo statue from Brinstar, the two other Arwings that are presumably piloted by Peppy and Slippy, the two Runaway Five guys, Mr. Saturn, and the Bob-Omb that explodes at the end.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 284798

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to dig up evidence for or against the Directory updating meaning anything actually significant and failing miserably.
Well here's some homework then.

Have we ever had a Smash reveal before the directory was updated?

Shroob

Sup?
Well here's some homework then.

Have we ever had a Smash reveal before the directory was updated?
We dunno.

The only time I've heard about it being updated was when epicmartin7 epicmartin7 brought it up, until that moment, I wasn't even aware that the Direct Directory played any significant role, but 'apparently' it's happened before?

I tried checking the Wayback Machine, but... that **** doesn't even have our last 2 Directs documented so that's useless.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We dunno.

The only time I've heard about it being updated was when epicmartin7 epicmartin7 brought it up, until that moment, I wasn't even aware that the Direct Directory played any significant role, but 'apparently' it's happened before?

I tried checking the Wayback Machine, but... that **** doesn't even have our last 2 Directs documented so that's useless.
Does anybody know?

Anyone?

I'm desperate for Smash news.

And also love.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What about a character named Samurai Goroh makes you think that would be anime at all

come again?
Tifa that magic using sword user from FF 3 or whatever. The blonde with the magical pokey stick. I would also be cool with Barret from FF8 the dude who uses a sword gun blade arm thing. And Lightning who was in the newest FF with a band of gal pals fighting against a cloud of darkness called Cloud of Darkness and to fill a chalice with crystal to protect their village.

I done goofed but I’m trying to save face

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Does anybody know?

Anyone?

I'm desperate for Smash news.

And also love.
That's what I'd like to know.

I can believe it's very likely a false positive and it means nothing in the end, but the fact is it did happen right before the Mario Direct dropped, so that'd be an insane coincidence.

Not an unlikely coincidence mind you, but all I want to know is if this only happens before Directs occur, or if this happens all the time and thus means nothing, that, is what we don't know right now.

Shroob

Sup?
I guess we could see what dates have been rumored and work from there? I've heard people mention the 9th, so that wouldn't be too long of a kill switch...
That was just 1 guy on ResetEra with afaik 0 track record.

What we 'need' to do is go back and see if updates coincide with Directs happening in the immediate future of those updates

The issue is 'how do we do that'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom