• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm gonna ask this Unironically

If Geno gets in, would he be taking Rayman's Function? Geno can detach his Limbs as seen in SMRPG, and Rayman's lack of Limbs is Similiar to this.

I know how Sakurai feels about each character bringing something new. So if Geno gets in, even if the Ubisoft costumes didn't exist, would that make Rayman less likely

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
View attachment 284769
What unholy abomination have you thrust upon my eyes?
Honestly, I've seen more cursed things... such as this:

If Geno gets in, would he be taking Rayman's Function? Geno can detach his Limbs as seen in SMRPG, and Rayman's lack of Limbs is Similiar to this.

I know how Sakurai feels about each character bringing something new. So if Geno gets in, even if the Ubisoft costumes didn't exist, would that make Rayman less likely
No, because even speaking as someone who has never touched a Rayman game, I doubt that Geno and Rayman would play anything alike.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

Nah, Rayman's limbs are always detached which at a fundamental level would change how his hit and hurtboxes would work. Geno, on the otherhand would presumably be one piece most of the time.

D

Deleted member

unironically
Geno taking Rayman’s function

I dunno about you, but the fact two characters have similar floating arms doesn’t really mean much.

looks at all the characters with swords
:ulthero2::ultlink::ultroy::ultchrom::ultrobin::ulttoonlink::ultmarth::ultmarth::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultike:

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
you know the rules, and so do i
What unholy abomination have you thrust upon my eyes?
I actually quite like both images.

If Geno gets in, would he be taking Rayman's Function?
You can have multiple different executions of the same concept.
Even so, Geno and Rayman have dramatically different requirements when it comes to representing them faithfully. There's no need to worry here.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

i've been in this fandom for years, and it was today i learned that Geno can detatch his limbs.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
i've been in this fandom for years, and it was today i learned that Geno can detatch his limbs.
One of his weapons is a rocket punch. That's the extent of it.

EDIT: Also, all of his weapons are some type of attachment when you think about it.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Their function is already taken. Mega Man already detaches his limbs. Sorry Geno and Rayman fans.

rcp24

Smash Rookie
I'm actually curious what dead franchises are out there right now that you would like to see a revival of to go with a new character being announced. Hypothetically.
What I would give to get a new Chibi-Robo game like the original gamecube game. I wouldn't even need him playable in smash, (although that would be preferred) just update the mii costume so it looks more like the deluxe ones we've been getting...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Por que no los dos?

-Sakura
-Kiryu
-Arle
-Axel
-Eggman

-Amaterasu
-Phoenix & Maya
-Dante
-Wesker
-Tron Bonne Mike Haggar

Honorable Mentions: Zero, Palico
Just give me SEGA vs Capcom

We have this perfect opportunity to let Dante take a crazy taxi ride with BD Joe to Pizza Hut and we somehow dont have that irl

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Noticed I got some responses to the "would speculation actually change"? I find that I agree with some points on how speculation could be different after Challenger Pack 7.

One thing I think it overrated right now is the idea that "Joker set the tone for Volume 1, so Min Min OR Pick 7 will set the tone for Volume 2". While I think it's an argument based on "Joker is a 3rd party, many additional picks were 3rd party, therefore that's what was meant", I don't know if that's necessarily the right way to look at it. All DLC has done something in terms of expanding the crossover, but it also focused on new and interesting gameplay ideas.

It's sort of a mix like that, I would say, not just strictly if they're owned by Nintendo or not. Min Min continued the "unique gameplay" additions that Sakurai reflected on at the end of the Byleht presentation, so I think this may be more of an extension of what Volume 1 gave us.

This largely pushes toward an "equal playing field" approach between 1st and 3rd parties. That said, I don't think there necessarily needs to be a whole argument between 1st and 3rd parties. It's a matter of, how are the fighter passes constructed, what are the contexts to their decision-making process, how do other Nintendo decisions factor into these choices, etc...

Based on how DLC choices have been going since Wii U/3DS, it seems like characters from games considered "dead" are probably not looking great now (Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, etc), it largely seems like 1st party picks are promotional in nature (Min Min is slightly different as her game is a few years old, but Nintendo definitely appeared to be making a second wind push for the game itself with various ARMS tourneys online. 3rd parties also fit the "thematic" nature of the Challenger Packs pretty well, as do particular 1st parties over others.

In terms of what I think Challenger Pack 7 could change? Well:

1) If we aren't getting another pick until 2021, it seems like it's entirely possible Challenger Pack 7 is make or break for a Mario character. Waluigi is also seen as essentially the Assist Trophy upgrade pick, so one would think that if it is going to happen, it would happen with the tournament that seems to highlight all Mario characters, stages, and items. Adding in additional Mario content after this exclamation of "all the Mario stuff!" seems a bit strange. We also can't forget that Nintendo obviously planned the festivities for Mario's 35th anniversary, including the tournament. If you were adding a Mario character as DLC, wouldn't the best celebration of "all the Mario characters" be...with all the Mario characters in Smash? While I wouldn't entirely 100% bet against a Mario character, the circumstances really seem, in my opinion, to make Challenger Pack 7 a high tension time for Waluigi or Geno. Either one is a megaton disconfirmation imho.

To be fair, either of them not showing up isn't really a disconfirmation. It's just more like a "soft" disconfirmation, and even that's a bit generous. I think the question is just, "If Nintendo has a major role in deciding these things, why would they not reveal the Mario DLC when the 35th anniversary was specifically crossing over into Smash with a big event?"

2) Mii Costumes. The discussion earlier with Monster Hunter seems like a key part of this, as well as Lloyd Irving and Geno. Each of these is a pretty decently large candidate for playable status, and any of them could be shot down in a given presentation.

I don't really know what else would rock the boat of speculation, but I think just even having the hype of a reveal would be nice at this point.

At the end of the day, despite wanting Dante, 2B, Lloyd, Crash, Travis, and a multitude of other characters, I'll probably be just fine with anybody because I've honestly yet to be disappointed with the way the characters play.

D

Deleted member

cries I would very much like that
Still remember playing it as a wee lad and being awe struck at how well it looked and played... really if they wer to remake it it honestly would be way better, especially considering they now have multiple in-universe series to pull from rather than just making a bunch of one-of OC’s(iirc Lego at the time didn’t really have anything other than third-party deals and sets and the few they did only came out shortly after the game’s demise)

Then again I was like... 7 when it died so my memory of that era is pretty fuzzy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here’s something fun to talk about: Take every series that has exactly one fighter in Smash and give them a second character.
For the record, these series are as follows:
  1. Yoshi
  2. F-Zero
  3. Ice Climber
  4. Game & Watch
  5. WarioWare (also includes the Wario Land series)
  6. Metal Gear
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog
  8. Pikmin
  9. R.O.B. (includes the Robot series of games)
  10. Mega Man
  11. Wii Fit
  12. PUNCH-OUT!!
  13. Mii (I imagine this would include things like Wii Sports, Tomodachi Life, and Miitopia.)
    • In game, the Mii's series is Super Smash Bros. so um...take your pick I guess.
  14. PAC-MAN
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles
  16. Duck Hunt (also includes the other Light Gun series games)
  17. Final Fantasy VII
  18. Bayonetta
  19. Splatoon
  20. Persona 5
  21. Dragon Quest
  22. Banjo-Kazooie
  23. Fatal Fury
  24. ARMS

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here’s something fun to talk about: Take every series that has exactly one fighter in Smash and give them a second character.
Splatoon: Octoling
Xenoblade: Elma
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Punch Out: Disco Kid
Pikmin: Brittany
ARMS: Dr. Coyle
Fatal Fury: Mai, this time 100% approved for good boys and girls (she got a PG-rated design in some Chinese MOBA I forgot the name of)
Dragon Quest: Sylvando
Persona: Kasumi
Sonic: Tails
Final Fantasy VII: Tifa
WarioWare: Mona
Yoshi: Poochy

Kinda already exists with Project X Zone, if you don’t mind Namco in the mix as well.
throw in Nintendo as well as of 2, with Chrom, Lucina, and Mecha-Fiora

imagine if we get a PXZ3 and they add Konami and/or Square Enix. Snake and/or Cloud to further the Smash connection

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Yoshi- Poochy I guess
F-zero- Jodi Summer or Black Shadow Or Samurai Goroh
Wario- Ashley or Captain Syrup
Metal Gear- Raiden
Sonic- Eggman
Pikmin- Brittany
Mega Man- Mega Man Zero or Tron Bonne
Punch Out- Doc Louis
Mii- Mii caster
PAC-MAN- Toc Man
Xenoblade- Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Elma
FFVII- Tifa
Final Fantasy as a whole- Warrior of Darkness or Terra
Bayonetta- Balder
Splatoon- Octoling
Persona- Violet
Dragon Quest- Villain (Dhoulmagus, Mordegon, Dragonlord, Zoma)
Banjo-Kazooie- Gruntilda
Fatal Fury- Rock Howard
ARMS- Dr. Coyle

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  1. Yoshi: Kamek
  2. F-Zero: Black Shadow
  3. Ice Climber: Polar Bear
  4. Game & Watch: N/A
  5. Wario: Ashley
  6. Metal Gear: Raiden
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog: Tails
  8. Pikmin: Alph
  9. Robot: Professor Hector
  10. Mega Man: Mega Man X
  11. Wii Fit: Wii Balance Board
  12. PUNCH-OUT!!-King Hippo
  13. Mii: Mii Caster
  14. PAC-MAN: Blinkey
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex & Pyra/Mythra
  16. Light Gun: Gumshoe
  17. Final Fantasy VII: Tifa
  18. Bayonetta: Jeanne
  19. Splatoon: Octoling
  20. Persona 5: Morgana
  21. Dragon Quest: Slime
  22. Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
  23. Fatal Fury: Kyo
  24. ARMS: Spring Man

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
:ultbayonetta: - Rodin
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow
:ultcloud: - Alisaie Levellieur
:ulthero: - Slime
:ultinkling: - Off the Hook
:ultjoker: - Maya
:ultlittlemac:- King Hippo
:ultmegaman: - Zero
:ultminmin - Dr Coyle
:ultolimar: - Alph
:ultpacman: - Spooky
:ultshulk: - Fiora
:ultsnake: - Raiden
:ultsonic: - Blaze
:ult_terry: - Rock Howard
:ultwario: - Captain Syrup

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My brain did not register that as a leg for a moment...
Looking back at the image...

yum
At the end of the day, despite wanting Dante, 2B, Lloyd, Crash, Travis, and a multitude of other characters, I'll probably be just fine with anybody because I've honestly yet to be disappointed with the way the characters play.
Facts. I would love the Terrarian, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot, or Steve, but there is a possibility we won't get any of them. Hell, the Terrarian has absolutely no chance of getting in, sadly. However, I am very satisfied with what he have, because I love how the DLC plays. Min Min is super fun to play, and I managed to be motivated enough to get her to over 7.66 million GSP. The DLC characters bring so many amazing content, songs, and stages to the table. It is beautiful. I love the Smash DLC!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
  1. Yoshi: Kamek
  2. F-Zero: Black Shadow
  3. Ice Climber: Polar Bear
  4. Game & Watch: N/A
  5. WarioWare: Ashley
  6. Metal Gear: Raiden
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog: Tails
  8. Pikmin: Alph
  9. R.O.B.: Dr. Andonuts
  10. Mega Man: Mega Man X
  11. Wii Fit: Wii Balance Board
  12. Mii: Mii Caster
  13. PAC-MAN: Blinkey
  14. Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex & Pyra/Mythra
  15. Light Gun: Gumshoe
  16. Final Fantasy VII: Tifa
  17. Bayonetta: Jeanne
  18. Splatoon: Octoling
  19. Persona 5: Morgana
  20. Dragon Quest: Slime
  21. Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
  22. Fatal Fury: Kyo
  23. ARMS: Spring Man
Dr. Andonuts is an EarthBound character. The “doctor” from the R.O.B. games is Professor Hector.

I’m sorry if this comes off as rude/know-it-all.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yoshi: Kamek
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Blaze
Mega Man: Zero
Punch Out: King Hippo
PAC-MAN: Ms Pac Man
Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex
Final Fantasy VII: Tifa
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Splatoon: Octolings
Persona 5: Kasumi
Dragon Quest: Jessica Albert
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters: Rock Howard
ARMS: Ribbon Girl

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Since we're kinda on the topic of Lego, and people don't wanna talk about Geno, what do people think of Chase McCain getting into Smash?
Chase McCain.png

He's technically a video game character but his origins are from a real-life toy. It would kinda be like R.O.B. and Geralt.
EDIT: I just realized he's a cop, that might not go well lmao.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yoshi- Poochy I guess
F-zero- Jodi Summer or Black Shadow
Wario- Ashley or Captain Syrup
Metal Gear- Raiden
Sonic- Eggman
Pikmin- Brittany
Mega Man- Mega Man Zero or Tron Bonne
Mii- Mii caster
PAC-MAN- Toc Man
Xenoblade- Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Elma
FFVII- Tifa
Final Fantasy as a whole- Warrior of Darkness or Terra
Bayonetta- Balder
Splatoon- Octoling
Persona- Violet
Dragon Quest- Villain (Dhoulmagus, Mordegon, Dragonlord, Zoma)
Banjo-Kazooie- Gruntilda
Fatal Fury- Rock Howard
ARMS- Dr. Coyle
Yoshi: Kamek
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Blaze
Mega Man: Zero
PAC-MAN: Ms Pac Man
Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex