• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Isn’t the reason for the remakes removing unique designs is because AlphaDreams was low on money and so they had to reuse assets from Dream Team and Paper Jam to save on costs?
True but those assets used the more standardized enemy designs to begin with, no fat Hammer Bros and Koopas or anything crazy, just the standard soulless designs
Quite frankly anyone who's dismissing Bug Fables as just a Paper Mario spiritual successor if they haven't played it really doesn't understand how they've successfully built on the latter's formula with battles, badges, difficulty, & side content. That's not even getting into how well the personalities of the main characters are developed, the gradual establishment of the game's lore, or that even with a less impressive graphical aesthetics its still managed to effective world build with its setting.

I've played various titles that exist to fill a niche that's been left by bigger companies, all of varying quality. Bug Fables to me is the action command RPG equivalent to Hat in Time, definitely rough around certain edges and not without its flaws; but the core design is so fundamentally great and just plain enjoyable to engage in that it feels just as valid as the games its inspired by. And given how much real heart is in BF, the last thing I would ever call it is soulless.

And the biggest problems with YL and Mighty No 9 were bad applications of old concepts. Levels in Banjo Kazooie or even Tooie were not as big as the stages in Yooka Laylee and few Mega Man titles ever had fundamentally dubious execution of the core gimmick like MN9 did. Mighty Gunvolt Burst is as much of a spiritual successor as MN9 and its a much better title because it actually knows to use its ideas well.
I mean, I'm going off what a bunch of Paper Mario fans told me about Bug Fables, it's either "It's good because it's just like the good old days" or "The entire selling point is Paper Mario with little identity of it's own outside the bug aesthetic"

D

Deleted member

I have information that could lead to the arrest of Geno

Seriously though, why are we talking about Geno again? You guys were doing so well! Even talking about freaking Terraria and stuff!
I wish I never said the word "Geno", I think that killed the nice discussion about Terraria we were having.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
True but those assets used the more standardized enemy designs to begin with, no fat Hammer Bros and Koopas or anything crazy, just the standard soulless designs

I mean, I'm going off what a bunch of Paper Mario fans told me about Bug Fables, it's either "It's good because it's just like the good old days" or "The entire selling point is Paper Mario with little identity of it's own outside the bug aesthetic"
Well the latter point is one I completely disagree with; there is very much a separate identity to Bug Fables, down to the expanded mechanics that I mentioned and that its story and characters are focused on three core personalities rather than one mute hero and companions whom get focused on for one chapter each before becoming part of the scenery like in Paper Mario.

As far as the first, yeah there is an appeal to having an action command focused RPG and the button combination elements are obviously inspired by Paper Mario, it would be ridiculous to claim otherwise. However I don't think that's bad in and of itself because the value isn't that "oh its just like the old games", the value is that its a fundamentally sound battle mechanic that's considered worthwhile in using again.

To me its like Sonic Mania; the game was not beloved merely because it was 2D or that it had some shout outs to the classic titles' aesthetics. It was loved because it brought back a system of physics/momentum paired with fantastic level design that people enjoyed and had long wanted to experience again. Sonic 4 is a 2D title seemingly created as a throwback that was openly disliked because it had no concept of the physics or kind of speed from the games it was a supposed sequel to. Thus it was Sonic 4 in name only rather than being the real follow-up that fans had wanted.

So I guess its not so much that I like the action commands, badges, or overworld aspects because they were old Paper Mario, I liked old Paper Mario because they had those elements, and thus I enjoyed Bug Fables utilizing them as well as building upon them.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If I might bring up an interesting subject: How do y'all feel about Monster Hunter? Monster Hunter is in the same position as ARMS was where it has a small base game presence, but no playable presence, stage, Spirits or even the old Smash 4 Mii Costumes. I truly do wonder if it could potentially be on the table for a Capcom reps: We all talk about Dante or Phoenix a bunch, but MH is kind of left out in the conversation and I'm starting to think it might have a real shot given what happened to ARMS. Monster Hunter is mega popular, and is a franchise that I could see edge out even DMC given how much Capcom pushes it, as well as the rumors going around about a potentially new MH on Switch.

What is everyone's thoughts here on this?
Nothing against a Monster Hunter rep, just that I'd prefer some other Capcom characters, but yeah, I think a MH rep is not being really considered, when it's in a really similar situation to ARMS. Obviously, Min Min getting in doesn't mean a MH character will, but considering Capcom is really easy to work with, Monster Hunter popularity NOT only in Japan, where yeah, it's incredibly big, but it's also really popular outside of there thanks to MH World (I mean, it's the best selling Capcom game in their history, and by a good margin). Yes, MH has a significant presence in base game, considering it's a third party series without playable character, but even if I don't think it's the most likely Capcom rep, I really think people is overlooking Monster Hunter.

Actually guys, I need to ask

Of the Veteran Companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Square), which companies do you think will not end up with a Fighter in FP2, and why?
Konami not getting another character feels like a really safe bet. Namco I feel is in a better position, but still not very likely. Capcom, Square and Sega feel more likely in my opinion.

sequel and Geno in Smash (he also called Jeff Grubb a wannabe insider btw).
Not gonna say anything about the rest, but this part made me chuckle. Calling Grubb a wannabe insider is so surreal.

I’ve honestly lost my faith in Dante. At first I was 100% sure he or some other DMC character was gonna be in, but now I’ve sort of lost that feeling. I truly expect Monster Hunter though. They are inevitable, and I’m really surprised they didn’t show up base game. Maybe instead of the hunter being playable, it could be a playable monster? I know they’re real big but Ridley is playable

Monster Hunter is super popular! I think MHW is the best selling capcom game at the moment. SO many people have played it, seen it, heard it. I would be surprised if we don’t see a playable Monster Hunter character whether it’s a monster or a hunter or whatever else
Monster Hunter: World it's the best selling game in Capcom's history, yes.
About Dante, I feel he still has a good shot. If your change in perspective it's because what 'happened' before Byleth, there was nothing that suggested Dante was going to be FP5, besides the funny coincidence of the dates and people setting themselves for a disappointment for that piece of "evidence".

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
how would everyone feel if Kamek became a character. I think he'd be pretty unique, we don't really have a traditional mage character, and he could be the second Yoshi rep.
I'd like a magic user and Kamek could do well but I just don't want it to be Kamek. I don't like Piranha Plant because it's just a generic mook and I don't like Kamek for the same reason. The only problem is that there aren't many mage protagonists in video games so if Kamek had to join, I'd probably be okay with him. More okay with him than Piranha Plant. That and I'm more interested in characters from new series rather than existing series.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Actually guys, I need to ask

Of the Veteran Companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Square), which companies do you think will not end up with a Fighter in FP2, and why?
-Right now, only Konami. And even THAT'S hard to say at the moment, because Sakurai could sort of get us Frogger. As for other companies:

-SEGA's two other reps technically weren't created at SEGA. By definition, the door for a pure SEGA rep was always open.

-Capcom still has so many franchises from which to pull a 3rd unique fighter. The most logical one, Resident Evil, got Spirited during Vol. 1. So are they open for Vol. 2? Or will Cpacom get a rep from another franchise?

-Namco's a weird case. PAC-MAN's their only character and they've got nothing else...not even Event Spirits. Like Capcom, there's so many franchises Sakurai could pull from (my most wanted being from Dig Dug and Dark Souls, respectively)

-With Sqaure Enix, it would appear only Kingdom Hearts has any possible legal complications, but even then, Disney says they're okay with it. But we'll just have to play it by ear, seeing as we could get a rep from another franchise.

Has anyone ever seen any good moveset concepts for a Dark Souls character? 'Cause I only ever played the first one when it came to Switch, and I'll admit that I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining a moveset for, say, the Chosen Undead that would really maintain the spirit of combat in the series.
Does this tickle your fancy?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Final prediction for FP7: reveal/presentation in either September 22 or 29, release in October 6.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We were wanting new characters to talk about, and so I suggested a new character in Sakura... And that proceeded to go absolutely nowhere, except back to the dreaded Geno vortex. So much for that.

Ah well, at least we got the Terrarian out of it. That's pretty cool.

Also, this:
WE FOUND CP11 EVERYONE, PACK IT UP!
But yeah, we go on about how we want new characters to discuss, and only like a quarter of the new characters suggested get anything beyond some likes to your comment. We getting opportunities to talk about new characters, so why don't we take them?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's been talk about how various characters appeal to Japan or the US; and even talk of how Terry might have come out to appeal to various SNK fans in Latin and South America.

Has there been a potential character discussed for having appeal to Western Europe with any consensus, or is that region too diverse with its interests and/or too difficult to really get a read on?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's been talk about how various characters appeal to Japan or the US; and even talk of how Terry might have come out to appeal to various SNK fans in Latin and South America.

Has there been a potential character discussed for having appeal to Western Europe with any consensus, or is that region too diverse with its interests and/or too difficult to really get a read on?
Funny you should mention that, because we just went over Layton in RTC and apparently he's HUGE in Europe, so that's one way we could go about it. Also, apparently Puyo Puyo has a big following in France.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Professor Layton is really popular in Europe and based on how he's been rated on the RTC thread seems he has a decent shot getting in.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
No more Geno discussion.
This thread has progressed past the need for Geno discussion.

So new topic! Has anyone ever seen any good moveset concepts for a Dark Souls character? 'Cause I only ever played the first one when it came to Switch, and I'll admit that I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining a moveset for, say, the Chosen Undead that would really maintain the spirit of combat in the series.
Finally, I'm glad to see some Dark Souls discussion! Though I'm a bit late to it :ohwell:
I can't offer you much in the way of full moveset concepts, but I've had a couple thoughts about how the Chosen Undead/Solaire could work in Smash:

Dark Souls has always focused on very deliberate, committal combat, which I think should be preserved in Smash. Most moves would have fairly lengthy windup animations, but would allow for big damage when they connect. Potentially with armor frames to mirror Dark Souls' Poise stat.
Each attack or roll would deplete some stamina, which prevents you from doing them if you have none. Holding your shield up, furthermore, would greatly slow your stamina regen. However, attacks would be versatile and powerful, and the dodge would have bonus invincibility frames and distance, as well as a unique attack that can be performed out of it. Expect them to do a lot of rolling :p.

Essentially, a Dark Souls character could have really powerful abilities, but have to manage stamina to use them.
Instead of the usual shield, you would hold an actual physical shield up, and be able to move back and forth like Terry or the Shotos while doing so. Blocking weak attacks gets you frame advantage to mitigate the slowness of your attacks, but stronger ones put you in disadvatnage. This would mainly just be a balancing mechanism to prevent mindless shielding. Blocking any attack, by the way, consumes some stamina relative to the attack's power. Finally, instead of a spotdoge, inputting down while shielding would activate a Parry. If successful, it staggers the opponent for a full second and slightly multiplies the damage of your next attack, allowing for a big punish in lieu of a not-for-good-boys-and-girls riposte animation.
A Dark Souls character would need a few extra quirks to really mirror the series' famous combat. The first would be moving forward with grounded attacks. Since most moves in the series have the character moving slightly forward with each swing, a Dark Souls character would be uniquely equipped to punish whiffed moves, something that especially comes into play in a PvP setting. Second would be a kick move. It could be mapped to anything really, but each Souls game has a kick move that's normally useless, but fantastic for breaking people's guards for a free riposte. In Smash, I think it could be like Ryu's strong ftilt - slow, not particularly strong, great for shield pressure. Finally, I think a Souls character should have a few moves that put the enemy in knockdown, or even simply with low knockback angles to set up for techchasing. In PvP, much of the Souls games revolve around Roll Catching, or punishing the opponent off of a getup, so attacks that put the enemy in this position would fit well into a hypothetical Smash moveset. Certain moves like the Plunging Attack or this beauty could do the trick.
Sunny D is the beverage of choice in Lordran, acting as a consumable with a set number of uses. Basically, it's a heal you can pop at any time, at the expense of making yourself highly vulnerable while doing it; for about a second, you cannot cancel the drinking animation, and can only move very slowly while doing so. In the original Dark Souls, you can't move at all. Finally, in Dark Souls 3, you can occasionally regain a swig by performing well in combat - a mechanic that could reward skilled play in Smash.

In this way, Estus could act as a sort of X-factor, wherein managing it well could be the difference between winning and losing. I'd design it such that you get three charges per game - one for each stock. But, each one would heal an impressive 20-30%, depending on balancing needs. Furthermore, you could possibly regain a charge by getting enough hits in, surviving long enough, or some other metric to reward skillful play and give the player a sort of meta-goal beyond just KO-ing their opponent. A Dark Souls character would be slow, with sluggish attacks and a bad disadvantage state, so they should be built with the expectation of taking a lot of damage. Estus could be the solution, offering a clutch way to undo some of the hits you take at the perfect time. This could be a really interesting mechanic that gives a Souls character a unique flavor unlike anyone else so far.

Tl;dr: Chosen Undead is more or less the archetypal swordsman in most depictions, but the fine details could make for a more unique fighting style than their seemingly ordinary abilities would suggest. Jury's still out on what their special moves could be; maybe elemental weapon infusions, maybe throwing firebombs, maybe something entirely different. Point is, there's more to these guys than meets the eye, and I'm super glad to see anyone talking about the Souls series here. :)

Basically Chosen Undead but he can throw lightning spears lmao
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Monster Hunter: World it's the best selling game in Capcom's history, yes.
About Dante, I feel he still has a good shot. If your change in perspective it's because what 'happened' before Byleth, there was nothing that suggested Dante was going to be FP5, besides the funny coincidence of the dates and people setting themselves for a disappointment for that piece of "evidence".
it wasn’t because people thought he was fighter 5 lol. I don’t know, I guess I just kinda lost my enthusiasm for him. Right now, I have no predictions other than a gut feeling for Wolf from Sekiro. I do hope Dante or Nero show up this pass, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
We were wanting new characters to talk about, and so I suggested a new character in Sakura... And that proceeded to go absolutely nowhere, except back to the dreaded Geno vortex. So much for that.

Ah well, at least we got the Terrarian out of it. That's pretty cool.

Also, this:

But yeah, we go on about how we want new characters to discuss, and only like a quarter of the new characters suggested get anything beyond some likes to your comment. We getting opportunities to talk about new characters, so why don't we take them?
Smashboards: We need to talk about more characters! It's tiring talking about the same 5 every single day!

also Smashboards:
andyoustromboli.png
, let's spend ten pages arguing about it

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
More like what Miyamoto finds acceptable. It was Miyamoto's idea to turn Paper Mario away from the RPG mechanics from what I can recall.
It was stated that Miamotto didn't have much to do with the newest game, and instead their own little quality assurance team or whatever was what restricted them this time. It's not just Miamotto.

That is another reason why I stop playing the Paper Mario games after playing the awful Sticker Star. I would recommend playing Bug Fables as it is a Indie game that looks and plays just like the first two Paper Mario games. You'll get the good old fashion Paper Mario experience with that gem.
I'm starting to hate that game. I don't wanna play Bug Fables I wanna play a Paper Mario game that's actually good. Don't care how it plays; it can be an FPS for all I care. Just stop half-baking the RPG stuff so you don't have a reason to interact with the meat of the game.

D

Deleted member

Do you think once FP11 is revealed, smash speculation will die?

I know we aren't getting a new Smash game in a LONG time, simply because of how amazing Ultimate is.

And this is most likely going to be the final DLC pack.

D

Deleted member

I know we aren't getting a new Smash game in a LONG time, simply because of how amazing Ultimate is.

I imagine people would start speculating about smash 6 or maybe wait until the announcement of smash 6.

That's my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's kind of strange that people are still hung up on Monster Hunter's base game content. Even if you assume that the only base game franchises that are eligible to get a DLC character are those with only minor representation, Monster Hunter has barely anything. It has two songs, a spirit, an assist trophy doubling as a boss, a WoL dungeon, and a stage that can't normally be accessed. Compared to ARMS, which only five spirits, two Mii Costumes, and an assist trophy, that's really not a massive step up.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Finally, I'm glad to see some Dark Souls discussion! Though I'm a bit late to it :ohwell:
I can't offer you much in the way of full moveset concepts, but I've had a couple thoughts about how the Chosen Undead/Solaire could work in Smash:

Dark Souls has always focused on very deliberate, committal combat, which I think should be preserved in Smash. Most moves would have fairly lengthy windup animations, but would allow for big damage when they connect. Potentially with armor frames to mirror Dark Souls' Poise stat.
Each attack or roll would deplete some stamina, which prevents you from doing them if you have none. Holding your shield up, furthermore, would greatly slow your stamina regen. However, attacks would be versatile and powerful, and the dodge would have bonus invincibility frames and distance, as well as a unique attack that can be performed out of it. Expect them to do a lot of rolling :p.

Essentially, a Dark Souls character could have really powerful abilities, but have to manage stamina to use them.
Instead of the usual shield, you would hold an actual physical shield up, and be able to move back and forth like Terry or the Shotos while doing so. Blocking weak attacks gets you frame advantage to mitigate the slowness of your attacks, but stronger ones put you in disadvatnage. This would mainly just be a balancing mechanism to prevent mindless shielding. Blocking any attack, by the way, consumes some stamina relative to the attack's power. Finally, instead of a spotdoge, inputting down while shielding would activate a Parry. If successful, it staggers the opponent for a full second and slightly multiplies the damage of your next attack, allowing for a big punish in lieu of a not-for-good-boys-and-girls riposte animation.
A Dark Souls character would need a few extra quirks to really mirror the series' famous combat. The first would be moving forward with grounded attacks. Since most moves in the series have the character moving slightly forward with each swing, a Dark Souls character would be uniquely equipped to punish whiffed moves, something that especially comes into play in a PvP setting. Second would be a kick move. It could be mapped to anything really, but each Souls game has a kick move that's normally useless, but fantastic for breaking people's guards for a free riposte. In Smash, I think it could be like Ryu's strong ftilt - slow, not particularly strong, great for shield pressure. Finally, I think a Souls character should have a few moves that put the enemy in knockdown, or even simply with low knockback angles to set up for techchasing. In PvP, much of the Souls games revolve around Roll Catching, or punishing the opponent off of a getup, so attacks that put the enemy in this position would fit well into a hypothetical Smash moveset. Certain moves like the Plunging Attack or this beauty could do the trick.
Sunny D is the beverage of choice in Lordran, acting as a consumable with a set number of uses. Basically, it's a heal you can pop at any time, at the expense of making yourself highly vulnerable while doing it; for about a second, you cannot cancel the drinking animation, and can only move very slowly while doing so. In the original Dark Souls, you can't move at all. Finally, in Dark Souls 3, you can occasionally regain a swig by performing well in combat - a mechanic that could reward skilled play in Smash.

In this way, Estus could act as a sort of X-factor, wherein managing it well could be the difference between winning and losing. I'd design it such that you get three charges per game - one for each stock. But, each one would heal an impressive 20-30%, depending on balancing needs. Furthermore, you could possibly regain a charge by getting enough hits in, surviving long enough, or some other metric to reward skillful play and give the player a sort of meta-goal beyond just KO-ing their opponent. A Dark Souls character would be slow, with sluggish attacks and a bad disadvantage state, so they should be built with the expectation of taking a lot of damage. Estus could be the solution, offering a clutch way to undo some of the hits you take at the perfect time. This could be a really interesting mechanic that gives a Souls character a unique flavor unlike anyone else so far.

Tl;dr: Chosen Undead is more or less the archetypal swordsman in most depictions, but the fine details could make for a more unique fighting style than their seemingly ordinary abilities would suggest. Jury's still out on what their special moves could be; maybe elemental weapon infusions, maybe throwing firebombs, maybe something entirely different. Point is, there's more to these guys than meets the eye, and I'm super glad to see anyone talking about the Souls series here. :)

Basically Chosen Undead but he can throw lightning spears lmao
Thanks for reading!
Honestly, this would be pretty cool. They'd be a sorta "anti-Marth," so to speak; A strategic medieval swordfighter, but executed differently. Instead of being speedy, anime-inspired, and based around focused, they're in a suit of full-body armor, move slowly, and are all about timing the strikes right instead of spacing them out. We actually don't have a real full-body armor knight character, and I'd be down for the Chosen Undead this way.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I believe this thread will be closed when all is said and done.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

It won't die, but it'll be very quiet until the next console comes around, when it'll ramp back up for Smash 6.

D

Deleted member

It's kind of strange that people are still hung up on Monster Hunter's base game content. Even if you assume that the only base game franchises that are eligible to get a DLC character are those with only minor representation, Monster Hunter has barely anything. It has two songs, a spirit, an assist trophy doubling as a boss, a WoL dungeon, and a stage that can't normally be accessed. Compared to ARMS, which only five spirits, two Mii Costumes, and an assist trophy, that's really not a massive step up.
I would say Monster Hunter has a good amount of content. The fact that it has a boss while every other third party that doesn't have a fighter doesn't have a boss shows that Monster Hunter did get some love.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As much as I do think things lean a bit more towards Arle for a Sega rep, I'm surprised to see people brush off Sakura Wars so quickly. I don't think it's that crazy of an idea. :drshrug:

Anyhoo, lots of good points made on Monster Hunter last night: Happy to see we had a good discussion going! As I've said before, I feel MH could potentially have a decent shot given what's happened to ARMS and FP2 allowing reassessment of content present in the base-game, but there is also the good point made in that it has a pretty decent presence already. Time will tell, I suppose.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm starting to hate that game. I don't wanna play Bug Fables I wanna play a Paper Mario game that's actually good. Don't care how it plays; it can be an FPS for all I care. Just stop half-baking the RPG stuff so you don't have a reason to interact with the meat of the game.
I mean, think of it like this: some people do care about mechanics, and by playing an alternative, they're able to find a neat little thing that they actually care about.

I can't really deny that I began playing BF due to its similarities with PM, but that's not really what kept me playing. What kept me playing was the story, characters and advanced mechanics that never would have been done in a regular PM game - even if it kept to the original formula.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, think of it like this: some people do care about mechanics, and by playing an alternative, they're able to find a neat little thing that they actually care about.

I can't really deny thatI began playing BF due to its similarities with PM, but that's not really what kept me playing. What kept me playing was the story, characters and advanced mechanics that never would have been done in a regular PM game - even if it kept to the original formula.
Yeah, and I'm sure it's a fun game, but everyone's always saying "just play Bug Fables. It's Paper Mario, but better!" And I'm like "Bug Fables is Bug Fables! I want to play Paper Mario."

To be honest, I've never played Paper Mario, or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, so Super Paper Mario is the only good entry in the series that I've actually played. I just want to see more cool stories like that surrounding Mario and co.

EDIT: That and the characters in spin-off heck getting added to a substantial entry in the series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's with all the Bug Fables bashing in here? I really liked it. It does take inspiration from Paper Mario but it builds and improves on the formula with its own charm and stands out on its own. Can't believe it got compared to Mighty No. 9 earlier.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As much as I do think things lean a bit more towards Arle for a Sega rep, I'm surprised to see people brush off Sakura Wars so quickly. I don't think it's that crazy of an idea. :drshrug:

Anyhoo, lots of good points made on Monster Hunter last night: Happy to see we had a good discussion going! As I've said before, I feel MH could potentially have a decent shot given what's happened to ARMS and FP2 allowing reassessment of content present in the base-game, but there is also the good point made in that it has a pretty decent presence already. Time will tell, I suppose.
In all fairness, we have a problem with keeping any conversation afloat when it doesn't revolve around Geno, a Gen 8 Pokemon, Byleth, Geno, the nonexistent Nintendo Direct, or Geno. Probably not her specifically.

But yeah, if the Smash fandom can give Doomguy attention, I'm sure we can make room for Sakura too. She's in a similar boat; Iconic in her home country, niche on the other side of the Pacific. She isn't someone to pass over.

MooMew64

What's with all the Bug Fables bashing in here? I really liked it. It does take inspiration from Paper Mario but it builds and improves on the formula with its own charm and stands out on its own. Can't believe it got compared to Mighty No. 9 earlier.
Whoa whoa, what? I haven't played BF yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I've heard nothing but praise, and every bit of gameplay and deep dive on it I've watched made it look fantastic. To each their own, of course, but why would someone compare it to MN9? BF isn't nearly that rough IMO.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I suspect its a combination of backlash to the hype its gotten from fans and that its elements aren't necessarily interesting to all Paper Mario fans, especially if the its the Mario setting and characters that drew you in. Also, if you were deeply into the mechanics of the first two games, its appeal is obvious. However if you're fonder of SPM and the titles afterward, it won't necessarily scratch the same itch.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it would help if people had a more clear idea on how Sakura would play. How do you even combine her regular form and mecha skills in Smash?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To be honest, I've never played Paper Mario, or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, so Super Paper Mario is the only good entry in the series that I've actually played.
If only Nintendo could make some kind of compilation for people like you, (and for additional people who haven't played SPM either).

Last edited:

MooMew64

I think it would help if people had a more clear idea on how Sakura would play. How do you even combine her regular form and mecha skills in Smash?
Someone more familiar with it would have to answer that for me. TBH, I only really started considering it after tehponycorn's essay yesterday, and I've been kind of interested in the new game so I only know a little bit. I'd really appreciate someone sharing ideas for how she'd work too.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I want Challenger Pack 7 as much as the next person, but do we actually think conversation is gonna change drastically after reveal?

I gotta be honest and say, I doubt it.
Perhaps but depending whether the next character is a 1st party or 3rd it might give us an idea where this pass is leading giving us at least something for a while to speculate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom