• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Apparently Rogersbase talked about it in a Podcast, and i guess there was something with Emily, or Someone she was following that also verifiyed that.

Also Apparently Fatmanonice also heard about this in December, and members of the Geno Community were holding it secret until Rogersbase spilled the beans. I don't know the full details though
Oh okay, then it can probably be ignored. Recently there was another person on twitter saying stuff that a bunch of alleged insiders like Emily and Jeff Grubb were following that ended up wrong. I think it was about the Mario direct.

SMRPG remake rumors are evergreen insider bait. Though I certainly wouldn't mind it coming true one of these days, but the evidence we have now isn't sufficient.

Edit:
So basically, Rogerbase said on a podcast that someone on twitter that had insider information in the past said that he heard rumors about a SMRPG sequel and Geno in Smash (he also called Jeff Grubb a wannabe insider btw).

Now this is probably the tweet he was talking about

... and this is how this person responded to the reactions towards their "leak"

I'll concede that it was pretty adamant about the information on SMRPG being real, but still, this another case on mistaking a person that made some lucky guesses as an actual leaker.
Oh, this is not the person I thought it was. Interesting, but there's not enough here for me to buy it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We're not going to see a remake/remaster/sequel for Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.
  • A ton of the characters are owned by SquareEnix. Why try to bring them all back when they could way more easily, and potentially lucratively, just use the Mario & Luigi series.
  • The game does not adhere to Nintendo's different = off-brand = bad policy for spin-offs.
  • The game is incredibly niche at this point: only hardcore Super Smash Bros. fans ever talk about it anymore.
  • Even if the game somehow broke through all these barriers (it wouldn't), it would be something they'd have announced during the Mario 35th anniversary presentation if it was a thing.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The game does not adhere to Nintendo's different = off-brand = bad policy for spin-offs.
Yeah, a Mario RPG remake feels like something that would be proposed but when planning starts it falls apart because all the companies involved refuse to budge on specific issues. I don't think the game's charms would survive both company's meddling either.

Shroob

Sup?
Considering a lot of the unique elements were removed from the Superstar Saga remake, even if we do get a 7 Stars remake, my biggest fear would be that a lot of the unique enemies would be removed in favor of more generic ones.

No, I'll never understand why Mecha Chomps were replaced in Superstar Saga, those were legitimately cool enemies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So basically, Rogerbase said on a podcast that someone on twitter that had insider information in the past said that he heard rumors about a SMRPG sequel and Geno in Smash (he also called Jeff Grubb a wannabe insider btw).

Now this is probably the tweet he was talking about

... and this is how this person responded to the reactions towards their "leak"

I'll concede that it was pretty adamant about the information on SMRPG being real, but still, this another case on mistaking a person that made some lucky guesses as an actual leaker.
I'm confused, weren't there already tons of placeholder dates saying XBDE was coming in May back then? I have no clue what the thing on the right is supposed to mean in terms of leaks

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I don't see why Nintendo would go through the hassle of working with SE just to recreate a 25 year old game when the last Mario RPG remakes bombed so hard, they killed their respective company.
Yes, this one would land on the Switch instead of a dying handheld but it still seems like a massive risk to me.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused, weren't there already tons of placeholder dates saying XBDE was coming in May back then? I have no clue what the thing on the right is supposed to mean in terms of leaks
That's correct, but safe/educated guesses being mistaken for legitimate leaks are nothing new.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
No more Geno discussion.
This thread has progressed past the need for Geno discussion.

So new topic! Has anyone ever seen any good moveset concepts for a Dark Souls character? 'Cause I only ever played the first one when it came to Switch, and I'll admit that I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining a moveset for, say, the Chosen Undead that would really maintain the spirit of combat in the series.

Shroob

Sup?
I can already tell that this week is gonna be painful.

Between the Directory being updated last night for seemingly no reason

Maintenance on the 14th

On top of Amiibo theory still yet to be broken

Things are lining up for 'potentially' something happening, but man, this is gonna be a looooong week of back and forth debating why something is/isn't coming.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Honestly at this Point, I would say Dante is a more Predictable pick than Monster Hunter. not that's it's a bad thing, Because Dante is Cool, but He's been predicted soo much, and is also Completely missing from Smash unlike Monster Hunter
I’ve honestly lost my faith in Dante. At first I was 100% sure he or some other DMC character was gonna be in, but now I’ve sort of lost that feeling. I truly expect Monster Hunter though. They are inevitable, and I’m really surprised they didn’t show up base game. Maybe instead of the hunter being playable, it could be a playable monster? I know they’re real big but Ridley is playable

...How? Most people seem to be predicting either Dante or Phoenix Wright if we get another Capcom character.
Monster Hunter is super popular! I think MHW is the best selling capcom game at the moment. SO many people have played it, seen it, heard it. I would be surprised if we don’t see a playable Monster Hunter character whether it’s a monster or a hunter or whatever else

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Rule: 'We're only going to get 3rd parties or promotional 1st parties"
But :ultminmin ‘s inclusion has nothing to do with promoting an upcoming title unlike :ultcorrin::ultbyleth: considering ARMS was already 2 years old by the time the second pass was decided on. Unless we count any first party character from a franchise with a Switch title as “promotional“, this argument makes no sense. Heck by the same kind of logic, every single first-party newcomer in the base roster could be seen as promotional just because their franchise has had a relatively recent title.

Heck, being a 2017 game with no immediate sequel is literally a reason why people overlooked the idea of an ARMS character as DLC for Fighter Pass 2.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
200px-Ch_Pete_(Harvest_Moon-_2_GBC).png

Farmer (also known as Pete) is, in my opinion, is the likeliest character nobody talks about. While people are quick to mention Travis Touchdown in regards to Marvelous characters, no one ever really considers the Farmer.

To begin with, Story of Seasons (known as Harvest Moon in the West until 2012–it's a long story) is a long-running series with prominent ties to Nintendo. It began on the SNES and has continued to this day, with the most recent release, Friends of Mineral Town, releasing a little under two months ago on the Switch. The series is most notable for its influence on the farming genre of gaming, which has seen a notable resurgence with games such as Stardew Valley achieving incredible success with the same premise. The farming genre is surprisingly popular as of late with Stardew Valley selling a staggering 10 million copies as of 2020. Story of Seasons as a whole is no slouch either when it comes to sales. As of 2011, the series had reached a lifetime sales of almost 1 million units (counting titles in the Rune Factory spinoff series it launched), which it has surely passed by now. Story of Seasons games were the fastest selling game of all time for XSEED (Marvelous' Western publishing brand) not just once, but twice. The most recent release has sold at least 300,000 copies as of July between Japan and North America (with most of those sales being from Japan), meaning that the series still sees prominent success.

Another interesting point for Farmer is Sakurai's acknowledgement of the farming genre itself. In his Famitsu Column titled "Man, Farming is Dangerous," he says exactly what the title says, citing the addictive nature of the simple tasks and the "sense of liberation when you start to get powered up" as positive traits for the genre. I think his focus on the gameplay is interesting, because it provides a basic framework of how a Story of Seasons character could work. Thing something like Frank West in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, except instead of miscellaneous weapons it's farming tools that continually power up and make the Farmer stronger as the match goes on. Moveset potential is far from an argument against Farmer, considering the presence of Villager, and I believe that he could provide a unique edge moveset-wise compared to Villager by focusing on farming actions and a continually strengthening tool set per stock.

Finally, it ought to be noted that Marvelous has with the Smash team to bring Daemon x Machina Spirits to Smash ought to be noted, as it sets a precedent of communication between the two. While many cite this in favor of Travis, I would just as much cite it in favor of Farmer. At the very least, I would consider him a real contender when considering Marvelous characters.
Yes! Someone else is talking about Farmer Pete!

For what it's worth I (and a scant few others) have been known to bring up Farmer Pete from time to time, but at this point I've largely given up as at best I get one or two responses along the lines of oh neat I've never thought about that and the topic is dropped or ignored.

But yes, I think despite being largely ignored by the community Farmer Pete does have a chance. I'm not gonna say he has an amazing chance or anything (tbh I wouldn't say that about any particular character since I just don't think we know enough), but relatively speaking his chances are higher than I think the community gives him credit for.

As far as that goes, most points I would bring up are already covered in the above post, but I would like to point out that Nintendo has already done a crossover in Story of Seasons (literally the first game under the new series name). You can literally grow Fire Flowers, Super Mushrooms, and Super Stars in the game. Ultimately not a huge deal in the game, but it certainly speaks to the relationship that Nintendo has cultivated (heh) with the Story of Seasons IP. Something to think about anyway.

Story of Seasons has legacy, influence, it's own genre of game, moveset potential, uniqueness, history with Nintendo, and current relevance. Honestly Story of Seasons really has every advantage I can think of besides overwhelming fan demand/popularity. And even then, Story of Seasons is still moderately popular, particularly with a more casual audience. An audience they may want to cater to with a character or two. And an audience that most popular Smash DLC picks don't really do anything for (I say this as an Isaac supporter). If Nintendo wants to add a character that appeals to an entirely different audience than the characters they've added previously (barring perhaps Villager/Isabelle), Farmer Pete is certainly a direction they could go.

At the very least I'd be a little surprised if we made it to the end of Ultimate's lifecycle without getting a spirit event for either Story of Seasons or Rune Factory.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
pfffft

why are we discussing all these NERDS when we could be talking about one character

a character who used to be an absolute icon, recognizable to even the most casual of casual gamers

a character who revolutionized an entire genre

a character who defined a console generation

and guess what? they have a new game coming out.

i am, of course, talking about....
TONY HAWK BAYBEEEEEEEEE

HE'S ****ING IN

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't see why Nintendo would go through the hassle of working with SE just to recreate a 25 year old game when the last Mario RPG remakes bombed so hard, they killed their respective company.
Yes, this one would land on the Switch instead of a dying handheld but it still seems like a massive risk to me.
Mario & Luigi are a separate IP from SMRPG. Plus the Mario & Luigi remakes were on a dying console that a majority of gamers ditched in favor of the Switch by the time those games were being released.

Shroob

Sup?
Mario & Luigi are a separate IP from SMRPG. Plus the Mario & Luigi remakes were on a dying console that a majority of gamers ditched in favor of the Switch by the time those games were being released.
That's true, but the question remains how faithful would it be. We already have precedence that they're more than willing to remove things that stray too far off the path of their vision from the series, see, several enemies being replaced in Superstar Saga with very generic replacements, so while some would be okay with it, I'd be very skeptical. Call me old fashioned, but it's the old "Soul vs Soulless" debate.

This is why I pretty much don't want the PM64 or TTYD to be remade in modern times, Nintendo absolutely would homogenize the roster of characters to better fit the current design philosophy that they have.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's true, but the question remains how faithful would it be. We already have precedence that they're more than willing to remove things that stray too far off the path of their vision from the series, see, several enemies being replaced in Superstar Saga with very generic replacements, so while some would be okay with it, I'd be very skeptical. Call me old fashioned, but it's the old "Soul vs Soulless" debate.

This is why I pretty much don't want the PM64 or TTYD to be remade in modern times, Nintendo absolutely would homogenize the roster of characters to better fit the current design philosophy that they have.
I mean, your philosophy here could go for any remake honestly. Remakes are a hit or miss and whether it turns out great or not, if the original was beloved by many people they will want a remake of it. A lot of people want remakes of classics they love.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, your philosophy here could go for any remake honestly. Remakes are a hit or miss and whether it turns out great or not, if the original was beloved by many people they will want a remake of it. A lot of people want remakes of classics they love.
But at the same time, a remake for the sake of a remake isn't always good, see, Bowser's Inside Story, a remake that has no reason to exist at all, since... ya know you could already play the game on the system the remake was on.

I'd be very skeptical of a SMRPG remake because frankly, I don't see it keeping a lot of the charm if you apply the current thought process that Nintendo seems to have towards Mario RPGs, and this is coming from someone who actually really likes Origami King.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But at the same time, a remake for the sake of a remake isn't always good, see, Bowser's Inside Story, a remake that has no reason to exist at all, since... ya know you could already play the game on the system the remake was on.

I'd be very skeptical of a SMRPG remake because frankly, I don't see it keeping a lot of the charm if you apply the current thought process that Nintendo seems to have towards Mario RPGs, and this is coming from someone who actually really likes Origami King.
I mean, that's your opinion. You shouldn't fear the potential of a remake until you see the final product.

Shroob

Sup?
More like what Miyamoto finds acceptable. It was Miyamoto's idea to turn Paper Mario away from the RPG mechanics from what I can recall.
It doesn't really matter if it's Miyamoto or Nintendo behind it, it really doesn't change anything for this discussion.

They've buckled down 3 games now in keeping the world of Paper Mario very streamlined in terms of what races appear, and even Superstar Saga was altered to remove some of the more outlandish creatures.

Like I said, I really like Origami King(Albeit, I REALLY don't like the battle system outside of boss fights), but as someone who skipped Color Splash, though regretfully played Sticker Star, 3 times, I really can say that their current design philosophy for the RPGs really boils down to

1599389693137.png

And this fills me with dread for a potential SMRPG remake.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
More like what Miyamoto finds acceptable. It was Miyamoto's idea to turn Paper Mario away from the RPG mechanics from what I can recall.
A refresher might be due.

What Miyamoto Said:
Iwata
Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?
Tanabe
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.
What Tanabe Decided To Do:
Tanabe
At first, we were making a lot of individual allies as in a regular RPG, but when we decided to focus on stickers, in order to make a clear change with previous games in the series, it was like we started all over again by throwing out the system—including those characters—that we had made up to that point.
Iwata
You purposefully threw out the basic RPG structure.
Tanabe
Yes. We decided to make it so that players would face stronger opponents by throwing out the whole concept of experience points and levels in favor of gradually gathering stronger stickers.
I had actually been thinking for a long time that I wanted to get rid of the RPG experience points. In the Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland game, which Kudo-san and I worked on together, the player-character didn't develop at all. We adopted a system whereby they solved everything with money.
This time, we decided to do everything with stickers.
Miyamoto seems to care more about brand integrity and not making up new things for the sake of them being new. He likes them to be tied to gameplay. Tanabe is the one who went all the way and threw out the RPG mechanics.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It doesn't really matter if it's Miyamoto or Nintendo behind it, it really doesn't change anything for this discussion.

They've buckled down 3 games now in keeping the world of Paper Mario very streamlined in terms of what races appear, and even Superstar Saga was altered to remove some of the more outlandish creatures.

Like I said, I really like Origami King(Albeit, I REALLY don't like the battle system outside of boss fights), but as someone who skipped Color Splash, though regretfully played Sticker Star, 3 times, I really can say that their current design philosophy for the RPGs really boils down to

View attachment 284708

And this fills me with dread for a potential SMRPG remake.
That is another reason why I stop playing the Paper Mario games after playing the awful Sticker Star. I would recommend playing Bug Fables as it is a Indie game that looks and plays just like the first two Paper Mario games. You'll get the good old fashion Paper Mario experience with that gem.

A refresher might be due.

What Miyamoto Said:

What Tanabe Decided To Do:

Miyamoto seems to care more about brand integrity and not making up new things for the sake of them being new. He likes them to be tied to gameplay. Tanabe is the one who went all the way and threw out the RPG mechanics.
Well, it was both Tanabe and Miyamoto's fault for the direction the series is in now.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That is another reason why I stop playing the Paper Mario games after playing the awful Sticker Star. I would recommend playing Bug Fables as it is a Indie game that looks and plays just like the first two Paper Mario games. You'll get the good old fashion Paper Mario experience with that gem.
Thing is, I don't dislike Origami King. I legitimately think it's a good game.

The only thing I can knock it for is, like I said, I really, really do not care for the battle system when it comes to generic enemies, but for the Boss Fights? Yeah, it actually works.

The music's great, the writing's great, the locations are great, the bosses are great, it's... literally just the battle against the generic mooks I hate.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I would recommend playing Bug Fables as it is a Indie game that looks and plays just like the first two Paper Mario games. You'll get the good old fashion Paper Mario experience with that gem.
I know this is offtopic but while I haven't played Bug Fables yet, it's really weird to see constant praise when to my understanding from a lot of Paper Mario fans, it's got little to make itself stand out beyond "Just like Paper Mario!" Which is ironically kind of soulless. That, and to my understanding, the developers never got their paychecks

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know this is offtopic but while I haven't played Bug Fables yet, it's really weird to see constant praise when to my understanding from a lot of Paper Mario fans, it's got little to make itself stand out beyond "Just like Paper Mario!" Which is ironically kind of soulless.
Oh, you think that too? :239: Regardless of how Bug Fables actually is in terms of quality, it just feels like nostalgia pandering. But there's also like, the Mighty No. 9, Yooka Laylee, and Bloodstaineds in the world so I guess the more the merrier.

That, and to my understanding, the developers never got their paychecks
bro how

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I know this is offtopic but while I haven't played Bug Fables yet, it's really weird to see constant praise when to my understanding from a lot of Paper Mario fans, it's got little to make itself stand out beyond "Just like Paper Mario!" Which is ironically kind of soulless. That, and to my understanding, the developers never got their paychecks
I haven't played it either but I always compare Bug fables to Temtem. Both games are just existing because Paper Mario and Pokémon are not as good as before (or at least not as appreciated as before by fans). Temtem is especially bad because it doesn't even seems to understand what makes Pokémon good in the first place. Also both games have (at least in my opinion) ugly art style.

SKX31

Smash Master
But :ultminmin ‘s inclusion has nothing to do with promoting an upcoming title unlike :ultcorrin::ultbyleth: considering ARMS was already 2 years old by the time the second pass was decided on. Unless we count any first party character from a franchise with a Switch title as “promotional“, this argument makes no sense. Heck by the same kind of logic, every single first-party newcomer in the base roster could be seen as promotional just because their franchise has had a relatively recent title.

Heck, being a 2017 game with no immediate sequel is literally a reason why people overlooked the idea of an ARMS character as DLC for Fighter Pass 2.
Nintendo has, however, semi-commited to keeping ARMS active. They've been inconsistent about this - they held official tournaments etc. from launch until March 2018. It was crickets after that (besides adding ARMS to NSO in Sep. 2018)...

Up until the March 2020 Smash announcement, which was coupled with a free to play period and North America getting an ARMS Online Open. Another ARMS Online Open was held in August. Compare / contrast with Splatoon, which has seen official balance patches and tournaments (the Wiki page doesn't list the recent Online Open nor the recent Japanese tournament) long after the final piece of content was added. For that matter, it's certainly possible that Ultimate could see further balance patches after DLC ends like Splatoon has seen.

Now, Nintendo's not a company that has prioritized keeping a game going over the long haul. But there's definite interest within the company to have such titles. While neither Splatoon nor ARMS are seeing high streaming numbers usually, there is large enough long term interest in both ARMS and Splatoon to keep those games going. Judging by the playerbase of each game's Online Open and Splatoon getting 5-digit peaks in viewership (30-40K) during Nintendo's tournaments.

He does care a lot about brand integrity, yes. The whole spiel about Miyamoto wanting Mario to be the next Mickey Mouse is not without reason. While there's a solid argument to be made that Miyamoto (and Nintendo) are overreaching for the sake of keeping Mario vanilla, it's important to remember that Miyamoto himself is coming from the angle of "Why are many parents uncomfortable with letting their small kids play Mario, when they're comfortable letting said small kids watch Mickey?" (Edit: Rephrasing)

Can such a question (or line of thought) be taken too far? Yes, absolutely. Not arguing against that. It's still a major factor considering the rumors of an comittee that oversees Mario games in particular. It's also relevant to the new Paper Mario games due to the streamlining of several areas - the stories and how characters work within the stories mainly - and a focus on new ways to play (the battles in Sticker Star and TOK).

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Dunno, I've played both Bug Fables and Temtem. While the obviously have some flaws and don't have the same budget as PM and Pokémon, there's a lot of charm in there that is hard to ignore.

Bug Fables's story and characters stand out on their own and were far more engaging than anything Paper Mario has thrown at me for the past few games. Temtem is a bit more complicated - I think there's a limit to how much the devs can do, but the end result just might be a great G/S/C sized game. It also has a lot of mechanics to stand out as well.

I think the point of having a spiritual successor is having just enough aspects resembling the old things to hook in old players while also trying to stand on your own legs. Which both BF and Temtem do, IMO.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What I hope for a Super Mario RPG remake is that they make the whole thing in an artstyle that matches the original's spritework, like making it look claymation or like all characters are toys. (add a meta layer to Geno) and that the whole thing is translated one to one with the smallest of tweaks (showing action commands on screen and Princess Toadstool to Princess Peach for example)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Actually guys, I need to ask

Of the Veteran Companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Square), which companies do you think will not end up with a Fighter in FP2, and why?
For some reason, I don't see Konami getting another character.

Square, hmm... I think it's possible to see another Square character. As much as I'd like to see Sora or Geno, I'm on the fence whether or not Square would add another character.
Sega could get another character. Some of their popular franchises are already in, like :ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:, and I can see them on board with representing more like Streets of Rage and Shenmue (I believe they own the rights to those franchises...)

Capcom is a very similar case to Sega, where another character could be added just because there's a ton left to pull from. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Ace Attorney are the most popular candidates it seems for getting a new fighter. I'd really, really want Phoenix Wright, but any of these franchises would be awesome to see join the crossover.

Pac-Man is the only Bandai Namco playable fighter in Smash, so I think another one of their franchises is certainly on the table for FP2. Soul Caliber, Dig-Dug, Tekken, Dark Souls (kinda), and with Bamco being directly involved in the Smash 4/Ultimate development, I think there's a pretty good chance they will get a new fighter.

Edit: Sorry I went on a complete tangent lol, the first line is the more clear answer to your question.
You never really hear about Konami anymore since people just consider all their "main" franchises represented. Castlevania and Metal Gear are out while Bomberman is an assist trophy. That basically leaves us with Contra (probably the front-runner), Silent Hill, and I guess Suikoden. Maybe Yu-gi-oh if you think Sakurai is willing to straddle the line of 4th party. It doesn't help that Konami treats its IPs like trash at this point, though that was true when we got the Belmonts.

All the rest have a ton of franchises to pull from and even a few dark horses like Breath of Fire for Capcom or .hack for Namco. It's really hard to predict which ones are getting nothing. Really, none of them could be part of pass 2, but I feel like that would be extremely unlikely unless there's not much of a third party presence for the pass. It's really hard to pick an odd man out here since they're all extremely worthy of getting another character in. I feel like if it would be any of them, it would be Sega. Something bugs me about there still being 2 non-returning costumes each for Capcom, Namco and Square.
I think you are forgetting that Konami has another option beside Silent Hill and Contra:

Frogger.JPG

He is an arcade legend after all.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Quite frankly anyone who's dismissing Bug Fables as just a Paper Mario spiritual successor if they haven't played it really doesn't understand how they've successfully built on the latter's formula with battles, badges, difficulty, & side content. That's not even getting into how well the personalities of the main characters are developed, the gradual establishment of the game's lore, or that even with a less impressive graphical aesthetics its still managed to effective world build with its setting.

I've played various titles that exist to fill a niche that's been left by bigger companies, all of varying quality. Bug Fables to me is the action command RPG equivalent to Hat in Time, definitely rough around certain edges and not without its flaws; but the core design is so fundamentally great and just plain enjoyable to engage in that it feels just as valid as the games its inspired by. And given how much real heart is in BF, the last thing I would ever call it is soulless.

And the biggest problems with YL and Mighty No 9 were bad applications of old concepts. Levels in Banjo Kazooie or even Tooie were not as big as the stages in Yooka Laylee and few Mega Man titles ever had fundamentally dubious execution of the core gimmick like MN9 did. Mighty Gunvolt Burst is as much of a spiritual successor as MN9 and its a much better title because it actually knows to use its ideas well.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh, you think that too? :239: Regardless of how Bug Fables actually is in terms of quality, it just feels like nostalgia pandering. But there's also like, the Mighty No. 9, Yooka Laylee, and Bloodstaineds in the world so I guess the more the merrier.

bro how
Mighty No 9 and Yooka Laylee's issues were that like Bug Fables, they were made solely to go "Remember that?" Whereas Bloodstained seems like it actually cares, it's not just trying to remind you of better games from the past, but it also wants to deliver as a game itself. Yooka Laylee and Bug Fables especially seem like they were made out of spite, though Playtonic delivered with Impossible Lair, which ironically took more notes from Tropical Freeze, because they remembered that nostalgia isn't what makes a game good and they remembered they still need to deliver an enjoyable experience regardless if one grew up with the original game

Dangan, the publisher, has done that to a hell of a lot more devs, it's a shame too, devs need to unionize and ****

D

Deleted member

Considering a lot of the unique elements were removed from the Superstar Saga remake, even if we do get a 7 Stars remake, my biggest fear would be that a lot of the unique enemies would be removed in favor of more generic ones.

No, I'll never understand why Mecha Chomps were replaced in Superstar Saga, those were legitimately cool enemies.
Isn’t the reason for the remakes removing unique designs is because AlphaDreams was low on money and so they had to reuse assets from Dream Team and Paper Jam to save on costs?

D

Deleted member

Anyway, here's a topic, who is everyone's unlikely favourite? Mine's Miriam from Bloodstained
My character that I want the most in Smash that is most likely never getting in is the Terrarian from Terraria.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Would be neat if his regular magic spell (ie the one that turns blocks into random enemies or powerups) worked on projectiles and items. Randomly turns them into anything else, like Judgement mixed with a reflector.
that's part of my idea for Kamek. He's a summoner character who can summon various Mario enemies (exept for Pirahna Plant I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom