• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
VN and adventure game characters are kind of weird to me. Like if Captain Falcon got in, except Captain Falcon didn't race cars or hunt bounties and instead solved civil disputes. They totally have enough to work with but it feels a bit more contrived than, say, an RPG character going from turn-based to doing all their cool attack animations but in real time. Would be curious as to which franchise would get preference for inclusion though. Would they go with some old and remembered, or something relatively modern and in? Or would they pull another Fighter Pass 1 where instead of being 3/5 JRPGS, it's 3/6 visual novels and we end up with Tokimeki Memorial, Fate and Danganronpa stuff and the speculation crowd implodes each time?

I think people don't consider them darkhorses in hindsight, so they don't think to consider darkhorses moving forward. It's always focusing on what connection they DID have, regardless of how minor it really is.
Even though he was very clearly a joke character in concept, I still love how UMvsC3 handled Wright. His moveset was dumb and outlandish, but it worked, as contrived as a lot of it was.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Would anyone else prefer Spyro over Crash, even though Crash would definitely get the first pick?
I'd prefer Spyro too. Skylanders was at it's peak when I was growing up, so I'm much more familiar with him than Crash. He also has more intresting moveset (Quadrupedal Dragon VS spinny punchy mammal).

7NATOR

Smash Master
When it comes to Sega, It's like East Coast vs West Coast

Arle and Sakura are much bigger in Japan than they are in the West. Puyo Puyo is starting to make some waves in West, but it's still kinda niche in the west

Sonic, and any other character associated with him is Much bigger in West than in Japan. I know the IDW Comics there actually have Sold out, and There have been Games in the Past that have done decently. I think even the movie did well there too, but it's more niche there than everywhere else

and I think Yakuza is the Common ground. He's pretty notable in West and Japan I believe, but I'm not sure about that

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Phoenix Wright is the most common VN rep discussed and Saber probably gets the next most mentions, but what do people think about this boi?

He would have a cool stage and great music, at the very least.
I'd be all for Steins;gate getting more eyes on it, but I legit don't know what his moveset could be. It's funny because you actually could make a solid moveset out of other science ADV series protagonists like the ones in the Chaos VNs, though you'd also have to spoil the whole game for them.

Also, Phoenix Wright and Monokuma are probably at the top as far as discussion goes in the western world for VN reps. Saber I can see being a big discussion point in Japan, and an Umineko rep seems like a "joke" pick a lot of the time just based on how unlikely it is.

Shroob

Sup?
I'd be all for Steins;gate getting more eyes on it, but I legit don't know what his moveset could be. It's funny because you actually could make a solid moveset out of other science ADV series protagonists like the ones in the Chaos VNs, though you'd also have to spoil the whole game for them.

Also, Phoenix Wright and Monokuma are probably at the top as far as discussion goes in the western world for VN reps. Saber I can see being a big discussion point in Japan, and an Umineko rep seems like a "joke" pick a lot of the time just based on how unlikely it is.
Wait, people actually even discuss that? Even jokingly?

I love Umineko, but Higurashi is way bigger than it and is arguably 07th Expansion's flagship series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There are lots of crazy weapons, like the Golden Shower.

I think you can understand the silly reference here.
Has anyone defeated the Moon Lord with that alone? Asking because... Y'know...
There has never been a comparison between two characters that someone hasn't said, "that comparison doesn't work!"
I mean every time someone compares Hero and Master Chief as two sides to the same coin, you'll hear someone disagree with that.

That's why I qualified the comparison with "in some ways", because I know there's literally no comparison one can make that will escape unscathed.

You understand the point I was making, though, right? The characters are sort of a big deal in one general region, and have very little presence in the other. I'm sure had I compared her to, idk, Doom Slayer instead, (who, although he hasn't had a stage musical (even though he clearly deserves a chorus of chainsaws), there have been a couple Doom movies, books, and apparently there's going to be a show) that would still also fall short in some regard, since no two characters are 1:1. There is no perfect parallel.

Also, fwiw, Sonic isn't nearly as popular in Japan as he is elsewhere. So beating him in popularity there is not as big a deal.
That's fair, though I think Doomguy is a much better comparison. Someone who isn't just popular, but outright iconic in one region, but niche on the other side of the Pacific. Still, I think they could overcome their obscurity in one region with their popularity in their home country, better than Spyro at least. Then again, my entry bar is pretty low by default anyways.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I think people don't consider them darkhorses in hindsight, so they don't think to consider darkhorses moving forward. It's always focusing on what connection they DID have, regardless of how minor it really is.
I don't see how Joker isn't a dark horse pick unless people zero in on Sakurai admitting Persona 5 was an important game to him during Smash development, something we didn't know until after he was revealed IIRC. In that case, 2B and a Danganronpa rep should be at the forefront of discussion unless we assume a character from another important game to Sakurai that he hasn't publicly stated is important to him, in which case we just have to guess.

Wait, people actually even discuss that? Even jokingly?

I love Umineko, but Higurashi is way bigger than it and is arguably 07th Expansion's flagship series.
It probably comes down to moveset potential. Umineko has plenty of material to pull from including actual fighting games while Higurashi really doesn't, at least not in canon.

D

Deleted member

Oh no, all of you made excited, because now we are talking about the Terrarian.

Even though they are never getting in. ;-;

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I’m kinda bored so here’s a question for ya’ll:

What character do you think would have the most “interesting” moveset?
not necessarily based on uniqueness in regards to other movesets but moreso on the flavorful side of things. Stuff like Waluigi incorporating items and concepts from the various Mario sports game to name a primary example.

Coming from a guy supporting an MMO character I can say that mine would definitely be up there. Channeling various schools of magic in a Monado Arts-esche Down B to great effect, ranging from summoning little elfs to humongious dragons and powering up yourself... certainly not a simple moveset but it would make for a really interesting playstyle that really hasn’t been seen before.(think how Shulk works but on a much broader scale and with the actual Monado Arts slightly changing the moveset)
Most of my wanted characters should have interesting moveset potential. However I've recently begun to think about what Arle Nadja and how Puyo mechanics could work in Smash. And I got nothing. And that is more interesting to me than anything else right now.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually guys, I need to ask

Of the Veteran Companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Square), which companies do you think will not end up with a Fighter in FP2, and why?

Shroob

Sup?
I don't see how Joker isn't a dark horse pick unless people zero in on Sakurai admitting Persona 5 was an important game to him during Smash development, something we didn't know until after he was revealed IIRC. In that case, 2B and a Danganronpa rep should be at the forefront of discussion unless we assume a character from another important game to Sakurai that he hasn't publicly stated is important to him, in which case we just have to guess.

It probably comes down to moveset potential. Umineko has plenty of material to pull from including actual fighting games while Higurashi really doesn't, at least not in canon.
I mean.

Rena's got a cleaver half her size.

D

Deleted member

That's part of the Smash Speculation experience.
Stanning characters with a snowball's chance of getting in.
Yes, I understand, but when you realize that they'll most likely never get in, it feels a bit sad.

I will say I love being able to talk about characters that are not discussed by many leakers and speculators, like the Terrarian and Rintarou Okabe.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

Of the Veteran Companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Square), which companies do you think will not end up with a Fighter in FP2, and why?
For some reason, I don't see Konami getting another character.

Square, hmm... I think it's possible to see another Square character. As much as I'd like to see Sora or Geno, I'm on the fence whether or not Square would add another character.
Sega could get another character. Some of their popular franchises are already in, like :ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:, and I can see them on board with representing more like Streets of Rage and Shenmue (I believe they own the rights to those franchises...)

Capcom is a very similar case to Sega, where another character could be added just because there's a ton left to pull from. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Ace Attorney are the most popular candidates it seems for getting a new fighter. I'd really, really want Phoenix Wright, but any of these franchises would be awesome to see join the crossover.

Pac-Man is the only Bandai Namco playable fighter in Smash, so I think another one of their franchises is certainly on the table for FP2. Soul Caliber, Dig-Dug, Tekken, Dark Souls (kinda), and with Bamco being directly involved in the Smash 4/Ultimate development, I think there's a pretty good chance they will get a new fighter.

Edit: Sorry I went on a complete tangent lol, the first line is the more clear answer to your question.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also if Geno gets in, doesn't that kinda hurt the "3rd Parties can't get unique 2nd characters" rule?

I mean, I wouldn't say it's deconfirmed, since Geno is a Mario character at heart, but since he's owned by Square, Nintendo will still have to negotiate with another Company (square) to add Geno

Considering Geno, as Popular in the Smash fanbase as he is, is a Irrelevant Character that's only been in 1 game 23 years ago (and 1 cameo that got removed in it's remake) and would be the 10th Character added to a Franchise that already has 9, I think that would at least increase the odds of say Another Sonic character, or someone like Chun-Li being a DLC Character, even if it's not by much

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also if Geno gets in, doesn't that kinda hurt the "3rd Parties can't get unique 2nd characters" rule?

I mean, I wouldn't say it's deconfirmed, since Geno is a Mario character at heart, but since he's owned by Square, Nintendo will still have to negotiate with another Company (square) to add Geno

Considering Geno, as Popular in the Smash fanbase as he is, is a Irrelevant Character that's only been in 1 game 23 years ago (and 1 cameo that got removed in it's remake) and would be the 10th Character added to a Franchise that already has 9, I think that would at least increase the odds of say Another Sonic character, or someone like Chun-Li being a DLC Character, even if it's not by much
Not really no.

Geno would be an exception because he's one of the few characters that comes from a universe owned by Nintendo but is owned by a separate company so that line of thinking in choosing characters wouldn't apply to any other characters except those in a similar position to him.

Heck it doesn't even make sense at face value when the first line of the theory is "3rd party franchises..."

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace

You never really hear about Konami anymore since people just consider all their "main" franchises represented. Castlevania and Metal Gear are out while Bomberman is an assist trophy. That basically leaves us with Contra (probably the front-runner), Silent Hill, and I guess Suikoden. Maybe Yu-gi-oh if you think Sakurai is willing to straddle the line of 4th party. It doesn't help that Konami treats its IPs like trash at this point, though that was true when we got the Belmonts.

All the rest have a ton of franchises to pull from and even a few dark horses like Breath of Fire for Capcom or .hack for Namco. It's really hard to predict which ones are getting nothing. Really, none of them could be part of pass 2, but I feel like that would be extremely unlikely unless there's not much of a third party presence for the pass. It's really hard to pick an odd man out here since they're all extremely worthy of getting another character in. I feel like if it would be any of them, it would be Sega. Something bugs me about there still being 2 non-returning costumes each for Capcom, Namco and Square.

ZelDan

Smash Master

third parties already have 2 unique characters.

Capcom = Megaman, Ryu/Ken

Konami = Snake, Belmonts

Square = Cloud, Hero

Sega = Sonic and if you count them Bayonetta and Joker

If you meant Third party franchises, then Geno doesn't do anything for that rule at all since Geno wouldn't be put with any third party franchise already in Smash in the first place. He'd either be with Mario or maybe just his own thing.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Not really no.

Geno would be an exception because he's one of the few characters that comes from a universe owned by Nintendo but is owned by a separate company so that line of thinking in choosing characters wouldn't apply to any other characters except those in a similar position to him.

Heck it doesn't even make sense at face value when the first line of the theory is "3rd party franchises..."
But there is a sense in it though

Like in the eyes of many here in Speculation, Geno not only competes with other Mario Characters, but other Square characters. like if Geno got in, Many would agree that the chance of a character like 2B, Neku, and Lara go down the Drain. He may come from a Universe owned by Nintendo, but every other variable is present that would affect any 2nd rep to already Represented franchise

and his relation to Mario hasn't been strong in the years anyway. Like i said, he's really only appeared in 1 game. Geno is probably more known for being wanted in Smash than his relation to SMRPG. Him being Playable in Smash would be his First real appearance in over 2 decades.

That's why I think Geno getting in would be interesting in that sense. I think his relation to Mario would factor in, but i don't think it wold be as big as other factors since he hasn't been apart of the actual franchise in over 2 Decades. Geno would be getting in over Other New potential Square franchises, and that's a main reason why 2nd reps from Already Represented Franchises usually don't seem likely to people, because of the new Franchises that could be gotten for instead.

Of course, If that SMRPG Remake rumor turns out to be true, then I that also conflicts things. that's what I will say

You never really hear about Konami anymore since people just consider all their "main" franchises represented. Castlevania and Metal Gear are out while Bomberman is an assist trophy. That basically leaves us with Contra (probably the front-runner), Silent Hill, and I guess Suikoden. Maybe Yu-gi-oh if you think Sakurai is willing to straddle the line of 4th party. It doesn't help that Konami treats its IPs like trash at this point, though that was true when we got the Belmonts.

All the rest have a ton of franchises to pull from and even a few dark horses like Breath of Fire for Capcom or .hack for Namco. It's really hard to predict which ones are getting nothing. Really, none of them could be part of pass 2, but I feel like that would be extremely unlikely unless there's not much of a third party presence for the pass. It's really hard to pick an odd man out here since they're all extremely worthy of getting another character in. I feel like if it would be any of them, it would be Sega. Something bugs me about there still being 2 non-returning costumes each for Capcom, Namco and Square.
Yeah, I'd imagine if Bomberman wasn't an Assist, I'd imagine there might be more talk of Konami. But as is, it's definitely in the dark. The Goemon mii costume might also conflict things for People, though I think considering Simon and Richter were base, and no 3rd party Costumes were base, it could be a reason why Goemon showed up now

It's hard to decide between the 5 companies. What I will be confident in predicting is that I'm gonna say either Capcom, Square, or Namco are a Red Herring, despite them missing costumes.

third parties already have 2 unique characters.

Capcom = Megaman, Ryu/Ken

Konami = Snake, Belmonts

Square = Cloud, Hero

Sega = Sonic and if you count them Bayonetta and Joker

If you meant Third party franchises, then geno doesn't do anything for that rule at all since Geno wouldn't be put with any third party franchise already in Smash in the first place. He'd either be with Mario or maybe just his own thing.
I Meant 2nd unique reps for Franchises.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I do think that a Monster Hunter rep is the next logic Capcom rep, it has a lot more things going for it then most third party series.

A beloved and iconic series especially in Japan.

Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best selling game by far, to the point that even if you combine the sales of RE6 and RE7 (their third and second best selling game respectively) World is still their best selling game.

Series has spent like half of its history on Nintendo platforms

Was both the best selling and best reviewed Capcom games for the 3DS.

The only con against it is that it already has content in Smash, then again I didn't think Spirits would get upgraded, so its more then possible.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who's ready to taste salt from either side when it comes to Geno?

I'm kinda excited to see salt piling up either way.
"Nooooo!!! Geno's deconfirmed!! Screw you, Nintendo! Sakurai!!"
"Nooooo!!! Why did you pander to annoying vocal fans!?"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Am I the only one who's ready to taste salt from either side when it comes to Geno?

As someone who doesn't really care about Geno one way or the other, whatever brings the conversation and madness to an eventual close I'm cool with.

And, funny enough, him getting in would probably do that more effectively than him getting deconfirmed.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Whoa, what's this about? What rumor and where did it come from?
Apparently Rogersbase talked about it in a Podcast, and i guess there was something with Emily, or Someone she was following that also verifiyed that.

Also Apparently Fatmanonice also heard about this in December, and members of the Geno Community were holding it secret until Rogersbase spilled the beans. I don't know the full details though

cosmicB

Smash Ace

I just want him gone from speculation. I'm sick of this thread constantly going back to him and the toxicity of a sizable portion of his fanbase.

Personally, I'd rather it be a costume that does it than the character himself based on my own philosophy surrounding DLC picks, but him becoming a character won't be the end of the world. I just hope we get our answer soon on his fate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Apparently Rogersbase talked about it in a Podcast, and i guess there was something with Emily, or Someone she was following that also verifiyed that.

Also Apparently Fatmanonice also heard about this in December, and members of the Geno Community were holding it secret until Rogersbase spilled the beans. I don't know the full details though
Someone replied to Jeff Grubb's tweet which just said "Super Mario RPG" with a claim that they had heard a sequel was in development and (iirc) that Geno was coming to Smash. If you look, you'll be able to find the tweet. Since I didn't listen to whatever podcast this is, I'm not sure if Roger heard this independently of the tweet, or he's just reporting that someone said it.

And I'd take that second part with the fattest grain of salt you have.

Shroob

Sup?

I've been fairly neutral on him this whole time. He's not my first pick for a new square rep, but if he gets in, that opens the door for more varied discussions going forward, so I'm more than okay with that.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, what's this about? What rumor and where did it come from?
So basically, Rogerbase said on a podcast that someone on twitter that had insider information in the past said that he heard rumors about a SMRPG sequel and Geno in Smash (he also called Jeff Grubb a wannabe insider btw).

Now this is probably the tweet he was talking about

... and this is how this person responded to the reactions towards their "leak"

I'll concede that it was pretty adamant about the information on SMRPG being real, but still, this another case on mistaking a person that made some lucky guesses as an actual leaker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom