• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sincerely, I believe Arle is our most likely Sega rep if they're getting anything this pass. Sega's been pushing Puyo Puyo pretty decently on Switch, it reaches a broader audience, and she would be a super unique pick moveset-wise.

I'd love Kiryu and Sakura Wars would be tight, but Arle IMO has the edge. I'll also admit, I'm a bit biased for her (she's probably in my top 5 fighters), but I really do think she has a decent shot.

D

Deleted member

I'd love to discuss more off the wall picks, but the discussion always gets shot down as them being "Unlikely", and then discussion goes back to Sora/Geno/insert current flavor of the minute character here.
It is clear Smash fans haven't learned.

No one expected Terry before the SNK leak. We only talked about characters that popular leakers brought up, but no one really focused on Terry.

I remember everyone thought Dante, Geno, or Doomguy was going to be FP5 due to leaks, but we got Byleth.

We continued to talk about the same three characters, but we got Min Min.

The lesson is that we are too reliant on leakers, and we adapt to rules too much. Before it was revealed an ARMS fighter would be revealed, who would have guessed we would get Min Min? Besides Smashing Ramen and staindgrey, those two loved Min Min I think.

Anyways, what we need to learn is that there are MANY potential fighters that can be chosen. We shouldn't stomp on others because they think a character that isn't talked about by leakers or other popular users a lot is getting in.

We need to be more open to speculation and new ideas, and let the creative energy flow. Tehponycorn's essay was great, because you never really see anyone talk about these characters, yet Tehponycorn has great evidence supporting them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think Starfy is capable of being a successful IP if Nintendo put in the effort required to properly promote it.

Not saying it'd be the next Animal Crossing or Splatoon, but it could probably pump out one to two million in sales for each game if Nintendo played their cards right.
Specifically by not ignoring Europe when they tried to start localizing the series.

Shroob

Sup?
But really.

Right now, I think people are just drained both due to real life circumstances, and just how slow this year has been.

Like, compare last year, a year with 5(cinco)(five) character drops, to this year:

1599366493988.png

There was a huge gap between Byleth and Min Min, which, is 100% understandable due to both Covid being a *****, but also Min Min needing more development time, but

Frankly put, last year, we could bank on a new character about 2-3 months apart from one another. This year? Your guess is as good as mine. Could come this month, could come October, hell, could come November, we just don't know, and that uncertainty is just draining.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But really.

Right now, I think people are just drained both due to real life circumstances, and just how slow this year has been.

Like, compare last year, a year with 5(cinco)(five) character drops, to this year:

View attachment 284692

There was a huge gap between Byleth and Min Min, which, is 100% understandable due to both Covid being a *****, but also Min Min needing more development time, but

Frankly put, last year, we could bank on a new character about 2-3 months apart from one another. This year? Your guess is as good as mine. Could come this month, could come October, hell, could come November, we just don't know, and that uncertainty is just draining.
Also last year for all but two months we knew who we were actually getting next.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

goddamn

It feels soo refreshing when this thread talks about something new for a change. Remember Ryza? You don't have to think a character's likely, but what's the harm in just discussing them period? It feels like people are soo set in their ways that they're not willing to consider any possibilities that aren't their own.

Aside from legitimate leaks, the best moments of this thread are the 30~ odd minutes where people try discussing something new before someone comes in and interjects "Ehhh, they're not likely", and everything resets back to how it was.
This. I've been trying to inject some life into things like RTC by bringing up different characters. Dont think I've stopped to read comments on days for people like BWD or Geno in a long while. The day we rated Big Daddy in there was probably the day I was the most excited for since it was a pretty fresh character who nobodies really talked about and the biggest hit against it was western rep.

And yeah, I also really wish the way to get noticed in the speculation scene wasn't either being from Mario/Pokemon/FE or to get spammed in fake leaks so hard that people believe it(I'm looking at you KOS MOS). Wish people actually looked outside the box more for possible characters just to freshen **** up. Kinda makes me happy we've gotten so many requested characters and probably won't do this again for a while so that way when the next game comes around things will hopefully feel different with a bunch of new possible characters out there.

Shroob

Sup?
Also last year for all but two months we knew who we were actually getting next.
Well, there's that, though that's leak territory.

I feel like, if Smash followed any other game and just had a roadmap laid out for future release windows, it'd cause a lot less distress in everyone, but, Smash marches to the beat of its own drum. Which is a benefit to them, since they can be flexible in their work schedule, but a detriment to us, who have no idea what month we're even getting CP7, and if they'll be here within 2 weeks or 2 months.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, there's that, though that's leak territory.
No it isn't. From January to April we knew Joker was coming (and PP at the beginning). From June to July we knew Hero would come followed by Banjo, then in September Terry was revealed, and released by November.

Only May and December we were officially in the dark.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
People definitely seem to not want to talk about dark horse picks much when the fighter pass has arguably had more of that than non dark-horse picks. The Adols, the Sakura Shingujis, the Monokumas, the Ryzas, etc. 2B is like the only one that gets any kind of discussion due to being in a very similar situation to Joker, albeit with less Nintendo presence.

Of course people are always adjusting their expectations based on the last character revealed and at this point, we don't really have enough information about pass 2 to really figure out the nature of it in the end. If people like Imran are right and we're looking at a more first party oriented pass, then speculation is of course going to take a different form even if we do try to gather up dark horses for the guessing game. Not that we couldn't come up with some good first party dark horse picks either of course. There's a lot more to Nintendo than Urshifu and King Boo.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
No it isn't. From January to April we knew Joker was coming (and PP at the beginning). From June to July we knew Hero would come followed by Banjo, then in September Terry was revealed, and released by November.

Only May and December we were officially in the dark.
Fair enough. I'm conflating leaks with gaps between reveals it seems, which is true, because in FP1, there really was no 'slow' period. Like, wasn't the biggest gap Joker - Hero, which was only what, 3 months? Everything else was around 2.

This year has been rough.

I'm fine with it being rough, because 2021 will be that gush of content we've been waiting for, but.... 2020 has been rough, in more ways than just Smash-related, and I feel like people have been dying for a little something to smile about, even something as simple as a new character.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Phoenix Wright is the most common VN rep discussed and Saber probably gets the next most mentions, but what do people think about this boi?

He would have a cool stage and great music, at the very least.
Who is this?

Shroob

Sup?
People definitely seem to not want to talk about dark horse picks much when the fighter pass has arguably had more of that than non dark-horse picks. The Adols, the Sakura Shingujis, the Monokumas, the Ryzas, etc. 2B is like the only one that gets any kind of discussion due to being in a very similar situation to Joker, albeit with less Nintendo presence.

Of course people are always adjusting their expectations based on the last character revealed and at this point, we don't really have enough information about pass 2 to really figure out the nature of it in the end. If people like Imran are right and we're looking at a more first party oriented pass, then speculation is of course going to take a different form even if we do try to gather up dark horses for the guessing game. Not that we couldn't come up with some good first party dark horse picks either of course. There's a lot more to Nintendo than Urshifu and King Boo.
I'm still convinced Irman doesn't actually know anything about the pass and was just making an excuse to leak Min Min to be blunt.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I would really love if one of Nintendo’s more obscure IP’s got in. I know characters like Isaac, Dee, and Waluigi get all the first party attention but I would adore it if something off the wall like Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Wars, Mach Rider, Mole Mania, etc. got in. Mayhaps as an extra add on to a bigger character’s trailer.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Main character of Steins;Gate, it got an anime a few years back that got pretty big.
Oh I've seen that name thrown before. is that guy the main character of it, and what could he do for battle?

D

Deleted member

A strange character that no one talks about that I would absolutely adore if they were in Smash would be the Terrarian from Terraria.

I don't see the Terrarian ever getting in at all. I would be more likely to win the lottery. However, a spirit event or Mii Costume would be hype.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would really love if one of Nintendo’s more obscure IP’s got in. I know characters like Isaac, Dee, and Waluigi get all the first party attention but I would adore it if something off the wall like Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Wars, Mach Rider, Mole Mania, etc. got in. Mayhaps as an extra add on to a bigger character’s trailer.
I dunno if Excitebike would be considered obscure.
Check out this joy.
1599367837606.png

Main character of Steins;Gate, it got an anime a few years back that got pretty big.
Ah, another game that would get the response of "lol no anime characters" because the anime is more well known.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Phoenix Wright is the most common VN rep discussed and Saber probably gets the next most mentions, but what do people think about this boi?

He's a game character? I knew he had an anime because it aired on TV for a while where I live but I didn't know he originated from a game.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Personally I would go with Kurisu but Steins;Gate content would be very welcome in my eyes

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think if Smash was only concerned with Japan, Sakura would then be a good dark horse pick. But they also have the rest of the world to contend with.

And it's not like Banjo, where even if "overseas demand" is what got the character in, he's not some little-known, unpopular quantity over there. Or Hero, where not only is DQ an institution over there, but it at least has some visibility globally.

To put things in perspective, there have only been two Sakura Wars games that even released outside Japan, ten years apart, and neither performed well. She's, in some ways, to the west what Spyro is to Japan.

So all in all, good luck to the Sakura supports. Frankly I think people are overestimating her odds by considering her anything more than a very remote possibility, and her current status as a semi-frequent point of discussion is partly due to the typical afterglow that a recent release affords a character in Smash speculation. Sorry to come down so hard, but to mince words wouldn't properly evoke my thoughts on the matter.
I'm not sure Spyro is exactly the best comparison, considering Sakura has the advantage of having adaptations in almost every form of media, including twenty-five stage musicals, apparently (Or at least, that's what I've read). Plus the fact that her series apparently managed to beat Sonic the Hedgehog in a poll, as I've mentioned above. I think Sakura's just a bit more iconic in Japan than Spyro is in the West.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
A strange character that no one talks about that I would absolutely adore if they were in Smash would be the Terrarian from Terraria.

I don't see the Terrarian ever getting in at all. I would be more likely to win the lottery. However, a spirit event or Mii Costume would be hype.
You're not the only one would love to see the Terrarian in Smash too. It's just that their problems are them being an indie western character and being difficult to translate to 3D, like Minecraft's Steve. Shame too, Terraria music would be awesome in Smash.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I never played Terraria, what could their moveset be?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm not sure Spyro is exactly the best comparison, considering Sakura has the advantage of having adaptations in almost every form of media, including twenty-five stage musicals, apparently (Or at least, that's what I've read). Plus the fact that her series apparently managed to beat Sonic the Hedgehog in a poll, as I've mentioned above. I think Sakura's just a bit more iconic in Japan than Spyro is in the West.
Sakura wars is also a go to series when Sega does crossover material made in Japan. Even when the franchise was in hiatus, the first that comes to mind being Project X zone, where some of the villains from the Wii game teamed up with Metal face from xenoblade.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
VN and adventure game characters are kind of weird to me. Like if Captain Falcon got in, except Captain Falcon didn't race cars or hunt bounties and instead solved civil disputes. They totally have enough to work with but it feels a bit more contrived than, say, an RPG character going from turn-based to doing all their cool attack animations but in real time. Would be curious as to which franchise would get preference for inclusion though. Would they go with some old and remembered, or something relatively modern and in? Or would they pull another Fighter Pass 1 where instead of being 3/5 JRPGS, it's 3/6 visual novels and we end up with Tokimeki Memorial, Fate and Danganronpa stuff and the speculation crowd implodes each time?

I think people don't consider them darkhorses in hindsight, so they don't think to consider darkhorses moving forward. It's always focusing on what connection they DID have, regardless of how minor it really is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There has never been a comparison between two characters that someone hasn't said, "that comparison doesn't work!"
I mean every time someone compares Hero and Master Chief as two sides to the same coin, you'll hear someone disagree with that.

That's why I qualified the comparison with "in some ways", because I know there's literally no comparison one can make that will escape unscathed.

You understand the point I was making, though, right? The characters are sort of a big deal in one general region, and have very little presence in the other. I'm sure had I compared her to, idk, Doom Slayer instead, (who, although he hasn't had a stage musical (even though he clearly deserves a chorus of chainsaws), there have been a couple Doom movies, books, and apparently there's going to be a show) that would still also fall short in some regard, since no two characters are 1:1. There is no perfect parallel.

Also, fwiw, Sonic isn't nearly as popular in Japan as he is elsewhere. So beating him in popularity there is not as big a deal.

D

Deleted member

That's not even getting into the tanks and apaches.
What are you talking about? I haven't really seen a tank or helicopter be used. Do you mean mounts? You can ride a UFO, or a slime. It is crazy.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I've played a bit of Terraria and this isn't clicking in my head lol
Watchu mean?
Link: Swords, bows, shields AKA the large amount of different weapon types.
Byleth: The ability to wield multiple weapons at once, plus building upon multiple weapon types.
On drugs: The sheer craziness of Terraria's weapons. There's a frickin sword that shoots exploding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom