• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Why am I suddenly hearing rumours about a Smash reveal coming soon? I took a break from the speculation train but now people seem to be expecting something. Did I miss a hint?
Three parts:

1) The most obvious point: If we get a non-partner, General Direct, we'll get a reveal, this has been consistent since Smash 4.

This is obvious, which leads into the 2 big points

2) King Zell is 'retiring' from leaking(We'll see about that), but in his farewell post, he talked about the rumored Mario HD Collection, and in his post, he specifically highlighted the number 3 randomly.

And then on top of this

3) A couple hours ago, Nintendo updated the Nintendo Direct Directory, which has, as far as everyone's aware, only been done so in preparation of an upcoming Direct. This doesn't confirm it'd be a General Direct, but thus far, both Partner Minis we've gotten have come at the end of the month.

There's also the fact we're not getting a Spirit Event/Tourny this week apparently, which has, historically, been due to a newcomer reveal in the past.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
On the bright side, if King Zell's legit in his final act, we barely have any time to wait.

Unless they just, boom, shadowdrop like the Mini in March

We either got a potential announcement today at the usual time for a Direct on the 3rd

OR

A shadowdrop/Mario HD gets dropped via Twitter on the 3rd.

I feel like 'something' is coming. No Spirit Event/Tourney is something that has pretty much always been a giant red flag, and them actually updating the Direct Directory is a huge alarm bell.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It’s going to be hilarious if they finally do one right before the one year mark. If a Direct does happen tomorrow then I hope it’s past 3 PM EST, I work until 2:30 & I’d really like to watch the next Direct live.
All things considered, I'm still not convinced it'll be a full-blown Direct and more akin to the Mini in March.

The March Mini was still able to squeeze a decent amount of stuff in it, and I'm not really sure what we're even expecting with this one aside from Mario HD, Smash, and maybe NMH3.

Shroob

Sup?
The one thing that makes me doubt that a non- game-centric direct is happening is the fact that we just got a Partner Showcase last week. I don't get why they wouldn't just group it into a General/Mini Direct if one was on the way.
Definitely plausible, but what game would it be?

The obvious answer is Mario HD, but would that be 'enough' to hold an entire Direct over? A couple remasters? There could be more to celebrate Mario's 35 sure, but I'm skeptical.

I'm also wondering what the hell their plan for Smash is too, like, are they just gonna shove 5 characters into 2021 and call it a day? We ARE getting a patch this month one way or another due to the necessity to add Amiibo functionality for Joker and Hero.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The best part of this leak is that it has an expiration date, one that's not even 48 hours at this point.

We either get an announcement in a few hours, or something happens on the 3rd, then we can go about our lives as usual.
But Shroob, going about our lives as usual is waiting for the next Direct.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Same here. They’re my mains & fit my playstyle like a glove. I was just playing some sets with my buddy last night & doing well with them. :’)

Who does everyone here main? In addition to Banjo, Joker is my co-main. While Lucina & Wario are my secondaries.

I love Terry too, but IDK if I’d consider him one of my mains. I’ve been playing some Hero recently & really liking him, might throw him into the mix more often. FP1 was really kind to me lol
I co-main Hero and Dark Samus. I don't have much of a connection to their series, I just think they're fun to play. I played Yoshi for the first month or so, I guess you could call him my secondary.

I.D.

Smash Lord
For ****'s sake, don't wanna get my hopes up for nothing, but when was the last time we got a week without a smash ultimate event? I hope there's a reason for no spirit event/tournament beyond "they are being slow this week" or "they forgot"

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
For ****'s sake, don't wanna get my hopes up for nothing, but when was the last time we got a week without a smash ultimate event? I hope there's a reason for no spirit event/tournament beyond "they are being slow this week" or "they forgot"
The last two times were the weeks Hero and Byleth released respectfully.

They are also the only times where we got no event as every other fighter had a event the weekend of their release.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Actually there's a good chance Pokemon will be highlighted, don't we have a second DLC pack they need to talk about?
Yeah yeah, The Crown Tundra with angry Chocobo Zapdos with the atrophied wings.

I REALLY hope the big bad show happens tomorrow and all this September 3rd stuff leads to something.

Further STILL, hopefully the next Smash character, WHOEVER it is, gets released this weekend like announced Thursday and they go "Stay tuned for a Sakurai Presents video after the Direct. This character will release Friday" or whatever.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Actually there's a good chance Pokemon will be highlighted, don't we have a second DLC pack they need to talk about?
To be fair though both a pokemon direct and spirit event/board/tourney has occurred on the same week thus making a general direct much more likely which could have Pokemon be among the things in said direct.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nintendo Fans: We want a direct especially regarding Smash and FP7.
Nintendo: Heres another Pokemon Direct instead.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo Fans: We want a direct especially regarding Smash and FP7.
Nintendo: Heres another Pokemon Direct instead.
Cinematic parallels:

Smash Fans: We want the ARMS rep next week.
Nintendo: Here's more Pokemon content next week instead.
Smash fans: We want the ARMS rep.
Nintendo: Here's more Pokemon content and an rabbit jump rope game instead.
Smash Fans: We want the ARMS rep next week!
Nintendo: Nah lol nope here's more Pokemon content instead.

So I just woke up from having a dream where the next character is Ninten, coming out a month from the time of reveal (weird because my dream apparently took place in January). They didn't show anything from his moveset except that his version of PK thunder has context sensitive knockback and will spike if moving downward when it hits an enemy.

He also was coming with rollback netcode.

When I get home from work I'll post a picture about what his design looked like. It was pretty neat.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
If Pokemon's involved, I kinda expect a Nintendo Direct that just kinda casually mentions The Crown Tundra or debuts some new trailer for it, if not New Pokemon Snap or something.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But the private video tho as mentioned above.
I'd imagine they'd post whatever trailer they have in any sort of presentation separately as well. Pretty sure Nintendo does this too.

If Pokemon's involved, I kinda expect a Nintendo Direct that just kinda casually mentions The Crown Tundra or debuts some new trailer for it, if not New Pokemon Snap or something.
A shadowdropped Crown Tundra is also a possibility.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Doesn't Nintendo usually post announcements at like 9 am EST? There has been nothing yet, I do remember that they have announced things at weird times before though (like an animal crossing direct announced at 5 pm EST), Personally i'm not holding my breath for anything tbh.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A direct doesn't seem likely considering these partner showcases have basically the third party content of a general presentation and we are supposed to be getting more of those showcases this year so maybe we could be on the verge of a smash reveal if this means something at least. I personally doubt it but it's infinitely more likely than a general direct of any kind at this point

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't imagine The Pokémon Company would have that much to show...I mean, unless they have some mobile game factory or something.
We don't have an official release date for the Crown Tundra yet; just 'Fall 2020' so it could be more info regarding that. There's a fair bit they could announce:
  • Official release date for Crown Tundra DLC
  • Showcasing the new Area
  • More Returning Pokemon (I think an earlier data mine showed 100 more returning pokemon)
  • New Pokemon (Calyrex, the Goat King, the new Regis, and Galarian Slowking, Moltres, Zapdos, & Articuno)
  • New 'Story' or Raid opportunities
  • Pokemon SNAP news & Release Date
  • Opportunity for Pokemon Smash Reveal

More than enough for a small 20-30 Minute Direct. Of course, this is even if there's something coming in the next day or so.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Doesn't Nintendo usually post announcements at like 9 am EST? There has been nothing yet, I do remember that they have announced things at weird times before though (like an animal crossing direct announced at 5 pm EST), Personally i'm not holding my breath for anything tbh.
A same-day announcement or a shadowdrop is entirely possible though given their track record. Especially if it isn't actually a Nintendo Direct.

Heck, if they're truly just trying to dunk on the insiders we could see it today or Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom