• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, who's a character that you don't have much of a connection with, but you think that they're likely regardless?
For me it's Travis. Not the first time I have said this but I feel he has a good shot.
Haven't played No More Heroes. I'd like to, and I'm interested in 3. And I assume they will port the first two games to the Switch.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, who's a character that you don't have much of a connection with, but you think that they're likely regardless?
I've never played Ninja gaiden and Puyo puyo and I think that both Arle and Ryu Hayabusa are pretty likely. Not lock or anything but imo they are both among the most likely charatcers for now.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To give an example of what I mean, I've barely touched Ninja Gaiden as a series - I've tried the first level or two of the NES version through the NES Online app, I've played the first two levels of Ninja Gaiden Sigma (and my frustration with them is well-documented), and I just got Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge recently. However, despite that lack of experience, I feel like Ryu Hayabusa's a likely candidate for DLC. His series stretches back to the NES era, but it's still fairly relevant in modern times, and it seems like the developers would jump at the chance to recreate the environments of the classic games (along with his classic NES look, assuming that hasn't already been done in the 3D games) in HD.

Also, much like with Castlevania, I could see the composers being eager to include or remix as many songs from the series as possible. As for a stage, I have absolutely no idea, though if it has hazards (I don't think any of the DLC stages have had hazards so far, aside from the trains in Mementos), I could see there being random hawks that swoop in when you're trying to recover to knock you into a bottomless pit, as is tradition. (probably not, but that seems to be a common thing in the NES games)

The Paper Mario event already started this past weekend. I'm not sure how much longer it's going on for. Today might be the last day, actually. (though it should only take 15 minutes at most to get all of the spirits)
Depends. How stretched is your definition of "Little connection?"

I haven't played XC2 or a Tales game at all, but I think they've got a pretty decent shot. I also believe that Sakura Shinguji's got a pretty good shot, given how her series is apparently pretty big in Japan, though I know next to nothing about the series. There's also Crash, who everyone's been predicting nowadays.

If we're stretching the definition further, then the two characters I advocate for the most-Reimu and Isaac-Are actually from games I haven't played, mostly out of accessibility more than anything. I'm considering picking up one of the Touhou games from Steam, but I'm new to downloading fan translation patches. That, and it'll take me the same amount of time I poured into Bloodstained to get through Normal Mode. Isaac, on the other hand, I'm still waiting for that new trademark to go somewhere so I can actually play his game.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Crash Bandicoot. Never Played any of his games, and not really into him like that, but Even I note he has a good chance at being Playable

Arle. Never Played Puyo Puyo, and she is actively a threat to the possibility of Shadow as DLC, but even i have to admit she's likely

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isaac, on the other hand, I'm still waiting for that new trademark to go somewhere so I can actually play his game.
Do you not believe in emulation? Not even the legal kind involving buying the game off the Wii U VC?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Do you not believe in emulation? Not even the legal kind involving buying the game off the Wii U VC?
I'm not really used to computer games, and either way I prefer to just purchase the games myself, so I suppose the answer would be no. That, and I pretty much forgot the Wii U was a thing, honestly.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Demi-Fiend, while I am a big Persona fan, I haven't played much of mainline SMT. But with the remaster of SMT3 coming to Switch and SMTV coming out next year with a worldwide release (possibly thanks to Nintendo being the one that is localizing the game) and the fact they were used as the final announcement for the July Partner direct. I wouldn't be shocked if the Shin Megami Tensei franchise gets pushed by Nintendo next year in the way that Dragon Quest was pushed by them last year.

7NATOR

Smash Master
One thing I always wondered

Do you think Nintendo and The Smash team ever pay attention to Mods and Smash fangames?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
One thing I always wondered

Do you think Nintendo and The Smash team ever pay attention to Mods and Smash fangames?
Back when Miiverse was still a thing, inputting the initials "P.M." gave a automatic ban, likely to counter Project M.

The filter went against people because of other games with P.M. or if someone wanted to tell time.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Back when Miiverse was still a thing, inputting the initials "P.M." gave a automatic ban, likely to counter Project M.

The filter went against people because of other games with P.M. or if someone wanted to tell time.
I think I remember hearing about this. R.I.P Miiverse by the way

But yeah, I ask cause I wonder how much of it could affect the roster. I doubt they have a large effect, but i do think Mods and Fangames could also be a metric used judging how popular certain characters were, Especially if those are characters you won't see brought up in HARDCORE Smash Forums and such

Some of the Most Modded Characters in History Include Shadow (or other sonic Characters like Tails and Knuckles), Cloud (and Sephiroth) , Rosalina, Waluigi, Ridley, Goku, Zero, Veteran characters like Mewtwo and Roy, among others.

Fan games also tend to include characters like Waluigi, Another Sonic character, Mega Man (before he got in), Anime Characters (Like Goku), Bomberman, Among other characters.

But Like I said, I doubt it affects the roster dramatically, Otherwise I'd Expect Waluigi, Another Sonic character, and Goku to be playable by now. It's probably just a way to tell popularity, especially since we won't have the true ballot results and such, which had 1.8 Million Votes.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
The Paper Mario event already started this past weekend. I'm not sure how much longer it's going on for. Today might be the last day, actually. (though it should only take 15 minutes at most to get all of the spirits)
You might be right

7NATOR

Smash Master
What would be cool, is maybe if no Tourney or anything is happening yet because they are gonna make an announcement about a reveal coming soon

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What would be cool, is maybe if no Tourney or anything is happening yet because they are gonna make an announcement about a reveal coming soon
Depends: what time did the Small Battlefield update drop? That might help ue pinpoint it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Depends: what time did the Small Battlefield update drop? That might help ue pinpoint it.
I think 10 Minutes after an usual announcement would occur.

I remember that Octopath Spirits came really late though, but today is supposed to be tourney, so... I Don't know

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
King Zell is retiring from being an Insider however he's given a last hint.

He bolded the 3. And Thursday is September 3rd, so I assume the 3D Collection is being announced on that date if there's no Direct on that day.
He could just be messing with people.

I really don't believe in that mythical Mario collection, it seems too good to be true.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
He could just be messing with people.

I really don't believe in that mythical Mario collection, it seems too good to be true.
I become more skeptical of that game's existence as the days go by, but I refuse to believe Nintendo is going to do absolutely nothing for Mario's 35th Anniversary. Maybe something on a smaller scale. I don't believe, however, the Mario 3D collection is an impossibility, I'm more 50/50 on it.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I become more skeptical of that game's existence as the days go by, but I refuse to believe Nintendo is going to do absolutely nothing for Mario's 35th Anniversary. Maybe something on a smaller scale. I don't believe, however, the Mario 3D collection is an impossibility, I'm more 50/50 on it.
I mean they were going to open an entire amusement park area but y'know...

If the Mario collection isn't real they might do something like add the All-Stars versions of the original Mario games to nes and snes classic or something like that.

Shroob

Sup?
Mario 3D collection sounds like something that's too good to be true to be quite honest.

I can't imagine many, if any, people who wouldn't be excited for things like HD Sunshine or 64

But at the same time, I'm also not going to deny the possibility of "Lol leak bait". We've been hearing about Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch from leakers for how many years now?

ZelDan

Smash Master
One thing I've entertained is the idea that perhaps insiders are partially right when it comes to the 3D Mario rumors.

Like, maybe all 4 of the 3D mario games in question ARE coming to switch, but they all won't be in one single collection, nor will all 4 be remastered. The more I think about this, the more I feel it makes sense, since it's not like the Galaxy games really need a remake or remaster; the games are still pretty damn great when it comes to gameplay, visuals and music.

Maybe we will see a remaster for mario 64 and/or Sunshine and galaxy 1 and 2 will just be bundled together as is unremastered on Switch, or something like that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
One thing I've entertained is the idea that perhaps insiders are partially right when it comes to the 3D Mario rumors.

Like, maybe all 4 of the 3D mario games in question ARE coming to switch, but they all won't be in one single collection, nor will all 4 be remastered. The more I think about this, the more I feel it makes sense, since it's not like the Galaxy games really need a remake or remaster; the games are still pretty damn great when it comes to gameplay, visuals and music.

Maybe we will see a remaster for mario 64 and/or Sunshine and galaxy 1 and 2 will just be bundled together on Switch, or something like that.
You just know

Nintendo totally would HD SM64

And charge 60 bucks for it. You just know they would lol.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
That's definitely where I stand with those collections, 50/50, I never Fully trust leaks.

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn't exactly complain depending on what kind of changes or alterations they make tbh. ideally they'd have Luigi, Wario, and yoshi like the DS version too.
Oh no. Knowing Nintendo, it'd 100% be the OG version I feel like.

With how much people rag on the DS remake, I'd honestly be shocked in the DS-exclusive stuff was added in.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
How would the
We need a remaster of Mario 64 DS. Not regular Mario 64.

The DS has so much cool **** in it.
Yes, yes, yes. Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say Mario 64 DS is a li'l better than the original.

Also I got a question for everyone, how am I supposed to feed the fat Lumas Star Bits in Mario Galaxy on Switch if the Joycons don't point to the screen like Wiimotes (2nd player co-op would be dead) aaaaaaaand will you not be able to play the game in handheld mode with joycons attached because of motion controls?! These are pressing matters!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oh no. Knowing Nintendo, it'd 100% be the OG version I feel like.

With how much people rag on the DS remake, I'd honestly be shocked in the DS-exclusive stuff was added in.
Well, it would be Nintendo to take a nice idea and lame it up somehow I suppose.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
How would the

Yes, yes, yes. Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say Mario 64 DS is a li'l better than the original.

Also I got a question for everyone, how am I supposed to feed the fat Lumas Star Bits in Mario Galaxy on Switch if the Joycons don't point to the screen like Wiimotes (2nd player co-op would be dead) aaaaaaaand will you not be able to play the game in handheld mode with joycons attached because of motion controls?! These are pressing matters!
The HD Chinese ports of Galaxy on the nvidia shield just use the right stick but the joycons can emulate the Wii remote through gyro controls.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
From a content perspective, I like 64DS

But to say it's better than the original is.... difficult, to say the least.

The new stars are nice, don't get me wrong.

But let's not kid ourselves, Yoshi and Wario are completely useless characters, and Luigi breaks the game to the point you only really use Mario when necessary.

That, and while it's never bugged me personally, the D-pad locking movement to 8 directions is a legitimate criticism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom