• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the topic of "bad games" getting content, some people are displeased with Samus' design in the past two games due to Other M. I'm mostly displeased because I just think, while the Other M design isn't bad, the Samus Returns one is just a whole lot better, so I wish timing could've been such to allow it to become her new look in Ultimate.
Imagine if Samus got different suits instead of just pallet swaps. That'd be so neat.

Though the stage has a more N&B-esque colour scheme, which is unfortunate. I wish it were more saturated, like the original games. That's a fairly minor gripe, though.
Probably a consequence of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's faded watercolor look rather than a deliberate callback. I've seen this criticism before on other cartoony stages like 3D Land. :079:

In Paper Mario's case, the more recent games have a lot of great material that could be used in Smash. I'm not gonna reject 1000-fold Arms being Paper Mario's grab just so we can get Thoreau (Pixie from SPM shaped like a hand) instead.
I kind of agree. As long as you can get it to look good, the 1000-fold ARMS would work better due to the throws you could get from it. Thoreau could be used as a type of Cargo Throw though.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
But it stands as proof that Sakurai is not privy to everything going on within Nintendo's sphere super early, as some people like to posit when arguing for a character that would be questionable, timing-wise.
except fire emblem. sakurai knows everything about fire emblem, even things that the developers don't know

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, it's not just Spiral Mountain. Ultimate in general has a more subdued color palette.
Indeed it is, and I'm not expecting the colours to be 1:1 as they were in the actual game, but a stage like Green Greens is still more saturated than Spiral Mountain, and I was hoping it could've been a bit more vivacious in its colours than what we got.

Again, a small complaint. The fact that we got anything at all from Banjo is amazing, and the stage is fun and pretty faithful. They went above and beyond with the inclusions of, really, the whole area, the rotation gimmick, and characters like Mumbo and Gruntilda. It's just something I notice.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It is. The up taunt.

I'm sorry for this but jdjnfvsdjonfikopsnfojwsjfnsjndosnjofnmosnodnsonfjo seeing Banjo & Kazooie in Smash just makes me giddy and they weren't even part of my childhood!

I just wish the hazard-less version always faced towards Grunty's lair since it's platform layout is the most competitively viable.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Honestly really nothing. The only thing I would say is that the leak is probably likely to be fake

I found out that when an Account on Jeuxvideo gets banned, their posts are also Modded/Deleted.

since that's the case, in order for the guy on 4Chan to get the Topic/Pic with the leak info on it, the following wold have had to happen

1.The guy saw the Topic, took a picture, Posted it onto 4chan (along with the link), and then shortly after The leaker got banned, with the topic modded

2. The guy saw the topic, waited a long time to post it, and then posted it along with the link knowing the topic was modded

3. The pic is fake, and the poster is an alt account of the leaker , or someone associated with him

I can't see option 1 or 2 happening. With the way the post is worded it seems like the poster just found the topic. It would be a mircale if the poster posted the link and then shortly thereafter the guy got banned

It's likely it was a fake all along, and because none of the Jeux mods will talk about it, It seems we are at a dead end anyway. I guess the only way to really find the conclusion is wait for FP7 or something
I know I'm a bit late too, but I also wanted to add my input into this as I've tried to take different approaches which... didn't really work out in the end.

Instead of trying to message the mods and whatnot, I tried to basically reverse-engineer how JeuxVideos forum reply IDs were made to see if they contain information based on the date or time a post was made so we could then verify the supposed URL. Unfortunately, it was largely inconclusive as I'm not like a super technical genius, and the IDs just kept on confusing me.

Weirdly, the IDs of each post in a thread did at least increase incrementally going from OP down, but how much they grew was completely random. IDs would grow in triple digits or even adding nearly a thousand to these IDs in the same threads. It made my brain hurt lol. And if you were to subtract a single digit from these IDs, you'd end up with forum post from different times and in different areas. So... it basically ran to a dead end there.

But yeah. Just wanted to stop buy and basically say the same thing that it was inconclusive. So we'll just have to wait and see lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So here is excited for potential bonus stages? I am. After seeing the Small Battlefield update, it has given me hope to see Yoshi's Woolly World, Pac-Maze, and Rainbow Road return.
give me the Galeem and Dharkon stage (minus the actual Galeem and Dharkon) and im good

quick edit - also i found out what yesterday's maintenance was for. it's changing pre-purchase to pre-order, meaning you can now cancel and get a refund before the release date if you changed your mind. couldn't do that with pre-purchase

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So here is excited for potential bonus stages? I am. After seeing the Small Battlefield update, it has given me hope to see Yoshi's Woolly World, Pac-Maze, and Rainbow Road return.
If we don't get Steve? I could easily see a Minecraft stage happening. It would be very odd and disappointing if we didn't get anything at all from Minecraft, given how big it is, but remember that sales and size don't guarantee that content will be a fighter. Case in point: Resident Evil and Tekken. Minecraft's unique blocky design and mechanics could lead to a very interesting stage, and it would work better without a fighter than most other games would.

Also, it would probably be listed under the Misc. category, and we all know what that means.:nessecho:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we don't get Steve? I could easily see a Minecraft stage happening. It would be very odd and disappointing if we didn't get anything at all from Minecraft, given how big it is, but remember that sales and size don't guarantee that content will be a fighter. Case in point: Resident Evil and Tekken. Minecraft's unique blocky design and mechanics could lead to a very interesting stage, and it would work better without a fighter than most other games would.

Also, it would probably be listed under the Misc. category, and we all know what that means.:nessecho:
I think a stage would be good enough for Minecraft. Anything Minecraft related getting in would be just as big as Steve getting in almost. And honestly, I think a stage whether with Steve or not would be the best way to represent Minecraft in Smash as it's a world building game after all.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally I think instead of an individual Stage for Minecraft, I rather they add Minecraft options (Blocks, Diamond, Pearls, etc) to the Stage builder. even if it's just a texture change on already available options.

Creating is the Spirit of Minecraft after all, that I don't think a Simple Individual Stage would offer. Maybe there could be music that comes along with it.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm still stoked Banjo is in Smash. I know Nintendo and Microsoft are businesses and there was a lot of money made, but I'm really grateful that Sakurai, Phil Spencer and all of the rest involved for finally making this dream possible.
Same here. They’re my mains & fit my playstyle like a glove. I was just playing some sets with my buddy last night & doing well with them. :’)

Who does everyone here main? In addition to Banjo, Joker is my co-main. While Lucina & Wario are my secondaries.

I love Terry too, but IDK if I’d consider him one of my mains. I’ve been playing some Hero recently & really liking him, might throw him into the mix more often. FP1 was really kind to me lol

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Same here. They’re my mains & fit my playstyle like a glove. I was just playing some sets with my buddy last night & doing well with them. :’)

Who does everyone here main? In addition to Banjo, Joker is my co-main. While Lucina & Wario are my secondaries.

I love Terry too, but IDK if I’d consider him one of my mains. I’ve been playing some Hero recently & really liking him, might throw him into the mix more often. FP1 was really kind to me lol
My mains are constantly in flux. My most constant ones at various points were Simon, Palutena, Terry, and Byleth, and I'm beginning to think Link might be added to the list as well. I like his more aggressive, dynamic sword strikes and offensive prowess. For a zoner, he's pretty decent up close (Against the CPU, at least).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
My mains are constantly in flux. My most constant ones at various points were Simon, Palutena, Terry, and Byleth, and I'm beginning to think Link might be added to the list as well. I like his more aggressive, dynamic sword strikes and offensive prowess. For a zoner, he's pretty decent up close (Against the CPU, at least).
I feel you on that. My mains were in flux before Banjo came out too. The only consistent one has been Lucina.

Before Banjo, I played a lot of Snake, K Rool & Cloud but I’ve sort of fallen out with them since I do better with other characters now

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This subject is pretty off-topic and the answer is in everyone's bios for the most par-sees MX Vs. ATV add for Switch

OMGICANPLAYANOTHERGAMEFROMMYCHILDHOOOOD!!!!

Ahem. Yes we should probably stay on topic. I'll be...somewhere else. And if you must know, I don't have a main, but I think I play Min Min a lot because she's new and Byleth a lot because he's in the center of the screen.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
...And I was considering a write up on why Football Manager should totally be the next SEGA rep, but I'll just give three reasons why a Football Manager moveset would be awesome:

1. FM would be able to employ incredibly complicated approaches and swap between them on the fly. Exactly like the FM games.
  2. The character would uniquely incorporate sonic waves into the moveset - because (s)he'd shout and yell a lot. Just like on the pitch.
  3. FM would also have the Sonic All Stars Racing car as a recovery move.
Completely unbiased here coming from an lifelong football / soccer fan. :4pacman:

Nah but seriously though, out of the SEGA characters I'm partial to Arle because there's a lot one can do with a Puyo-based moveset. Especially the kinds of effects one could get if one manages to stack Puyos "correctly" - although that could be incredibly tricky to work practically into the game since Smash's stages tend to run the gamut between pretty small and humongous. Would be perfectly okay with other SEGA characters like Kiryu and Sakura.
SEGA has a long history of making soccer games since the genesis days so you COULD techincally make a case for him and have his stage and music originate from other SEGA soccer games(Virtua Striker, Victory Goal, Soccer Slam,etc)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've been a Megaman main since Smash 4 and the only thing that could change that is if a MW of mine actually ends up in FP2 and is really fun.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

My original main was King K Rool, then I switched to Cloud, then to Chrom, then to Bowser and now I main Roy.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not saving my breath for anything crazy. Small Battlefield was nice, but it was also an incredibly simple stage to make.

Out of all the missing stages, I'd probably want Rainbow Road the most though.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
My main & secondaries are in my signature (although at this point I'd say I co-main ROB and Byleth with how much Byleth I've been playing recently and how much fun I've been having with them).

Also, combining this Sega discussion with the bonus stage discussion, one franchise that I think would be phenomenal for a stage (if it didn't get a fighter) is Nights. There are so many unique and colorful environments with interesting layouts that would work great for a stage. When I first played Sonic Adventure, I didn't really know about Nights, but the cameo pinball level alone made me interested in checking it out, so something like that in Smash would be a lot of fun. Honestly I don't think it's at all likely, but I would be happy if it somehow managed to happen.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I main King K. Rool because I love the guy and Little Mac because I'm a true masochist and want the difficulty as high as it can go.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As far as Sega published games, I'd love to see a Wonder Boy/Monster Boy character in Smash. Transformation or not, the moveset would be tremendous and the songs from the soundtrack alone would be worth it:
TECHNICALLY, Monster Boy is only a spiritual successor to the Wonder Boy/Monster World franchise, and is not actually owned by Sega.

Black Knight could have been a boss in addition to AT too, and MAYBE Dr. Wily as well

I was also hoping so hard for Sephiroth to get the Rathalos treatment for the Nov 1 2018 direct but lo and behold, FF7 didn’t even get a new AT :c
I imagine Sephiroth would be something like Ganondorf. Where he's a playable character, with a Final Smash that's transforming into Safer Sephiroth. And also, Safer Sephiroth is a boss.

Wily Machine would make a great boss. Black Knight is too normal to be a boss.

Last edited:

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
During the wait, I got to play a lot of old games I never got to play or even finish during childhood. Beat Bomberman Quest, which is basically Link's Awakening meets Bomberman.

So far, halfway through Chrono Trigger. I spent my entire 30 years not knowing the plot of this game aside from there being multiple endings, and it's kind of refreshing in a generation where game content gets spoiled before release.

I do have Breath of the Wild, but I spent 2017 very engrossed in work so I never really got to get past even the first hour and was lucky enough to not get spoiled much on that. I might end up saving that game a few months before the sequel comes out.

The drought is painfully long, yes, but playing these games makes me hype for other potential reps in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
except fire emblem. sakurai knows everything about fire emblem, even things that the developers don't know
I know it's a joke, but funny enough, we actually know this isn't the case.

Sakurai was on record during an interview talking about the release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon that if he knew the game were coming out, he'd have updated Marth's design for Brawl. That's why during Smash 4, Sakurai changed his look to reflect his design change in Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

With Smash I rarely focus on one character at the time, I like to keep switching characters. I guess I could say my mains are Palutena, Ike and Terry, but then the ones I see as my secondaries are not just a few: Ken/Ryu, Pikachu, Joker, Samus Zero, Pit, Cloud, Byleth, Diddy, Incineroar... that would be the list, more or less.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
No update on the weekly event yet. I know it's been late before; I think the last time it happened, we got Small Battlefield, though another time, it was just an ordinary spirit event with no new spirits.
The Paper Mario event is still happening tomorrow

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Out of curiosity, who's a character that you don't have much of a connection with, but you think that they're likely regardless?

To give an example of what I mean, I've barely touched Ninja Gaiden as a series - I've tried the first level or two of the NES version through the NES Online app, I've played the first two levels of Ninja Gaiden Sigma (and my frustration with them is well-documented), and I just got Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge recently. However, despite that lack of experience, I feel like Ryu Hayabusa's a likely candidate for DLC. His series stretches back to the NES era, but it's still fairly relevant in modern times, and it seems like the developers would jump at the chance to recreate the environments of the classic games (along with his classic NES look, assuming that hasn't already been done in the 3D games) in HD.

Also, much like with Castlevania, I could see the composers being eager to include or remix as many songs from the series as possible. As for a stage, I have absolutely no idea, though if it has hazards (I don't think any of the DLC stages have had hazards so far, aside from the trains in Mementos), I could see there being random hawks that swoop in when you're trying to recover to knock you into a bottomless pit, as is tradition. (probably not, but that seems to be a common thing in the NES games)

The Paper Mario event is still happening tomorrow
The Paper Mario event already started this past weekend. I'm not sure how much longer it's going on for. Today might be the last day, actually. (though it should only take 15 minutes at most to get all of the spirits)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom