• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
The controls are 64 DS's biggest problem. Playing it on the 3DS or via Wii U Emulation solves some of that, but not all of it.

An ideal form would have the content (and some of the graphical updates) from the DS version and the controls of the N64 version.
That doesn't solve any of it.

64DS is programmed to only go in 8 directions, not a full 360 movement that the original game on N64 had. Even if you use the 3DS's circle pad, you're effectively just using a round D-pad.

There are unofficial fan-hacks to add in 360 movement to 64DS, but newer hardware doesn't change it when the game is programmed for only 8 movement directions.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like I'd like 64DS if Yoshi and Wario felt... necessary?

Like, outside of 1 star in Snowman's Land, do you ever 'need' to use Yoshi after you unlock Mario?

And Wario.... is probably the worst character to play as, period. Slow, can barely jump, you use him to break black bricks and the metal cap, you could replace him entirely with the Metal Cap being given to Mario and you'd lose absolutely nothing.

At least Luigi is broken as hell.... which causes its own set of problems and more-or-less invalidates Mario's existence aside from Bowser fights.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Interesting. Has it ever updated like this out of nowhere before?
This is something I have never tracked the full history of (and trying to go back now would be a pain in the bottom dollar, believe me I tried), however, this occurrence I believe has been pointed out in the past near a direct announcement. So... I guess take that for what you will. Although, definitely still keep a grain of salt as website maintenance can indeed be a thing.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just want that 64 remaster to be real. Especially if they finally add two player co-op and Mario and Luigi can roam the castle together at last.
Silly RealLuigisWearPink RealLuigisWearPink . Don't you know player 2 has to be a flying critter with extremely limited ways to interact with the world? :4pacman:

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I'm a little late to this but just thought I'd mention: I played Mario Galaxy last week with a PS4 controller and it was fine. Using the right stick for the pointer was only slightly clunky for collecting star bits or particularly involved pull star segments, but I think that could be easily fixed (as far as I could tell the emulator wouldn't let me speed up the pointer movement, which was a big part of it). Nothing else in that game really needs motion controls.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Same here. They’re my mains & fit my playstyle like a glove. I was just playing some sets with my buddy last night & doing well with them. :’)

Who does everyone here main? In addition to Banjo, Joker is my co-main. While Lucina & Wario are my secondaries.

I love Terry too, but IDK if I’d consider him one of my mains. I’ve been playing some Hero recently & really liking him, might throw him into the mix more often. FP1 was really kind to me lol
Joker/Incineroar co-main here. Ike, Shulk, and Pokemon Trainer as secondaries. And then, I have a K Rool specifically for free-for-alls because I think he becomes really strong in that format. And a Yoshi because my boyfriend mains Yoshi and how can I not double Yoshi exploshi if we play doubles? Then a bunch of others for fun/specific matchups, and learning the game with different playstyles to develop better fundamentals.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
"That's it?! That's the Nintendo Direct?!"

*Boiling kettle noises are heard as face turns red.

"NINTENDO BETRAYED US!!!"
"I'M GONNA GET RID OF ALL MY SMASH BROS STUFF!!"
*RIPS smash underwear off
"I'M GONNA RUN AWAY THAT'S WHAT I'LL DO! RUN AWAY!! sobs"

Smash logo comes on tv screen revealing a newcomer.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Add a damn Gyromite stage already, ROB can’t afford to rent Mario Bros. any more
R.O.B. is a toy. Video games are also toys. Therefore, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate itself is R.O.B.'s home stage.

So apparently, the Nintendo Direct Archive Page was updated today.
View attachment 284175
Of course, don't get any hopes up, but it is fascinating.
Hmm, very interesting! Hopefully this means something. (inb4 King Zell was actually hinting at something with his final message and a Direct gets announced tomorrow morning for the 3rd)

I just want that 64 remaster to be real. Especially if they finally add two player co-op and Mario and Luigi can roam the castle together at last.
Complete "Pie-In-The-Sky" hope, but I'd absolutely love this collection to be paired with the '95 demo of Super Mario 64.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Does anyone expect this to be another Nintendo mini Direct Partners Showcase or no?
It's possible, but so far every Partner showcase we've gotten was near the end of the month.

Them updating this at the beginning of the month seems to point otherwise, granted, this is also based off nothing more than both our minis coming out around the end of their months and nothing more.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if anyone doubts that the Mario collection exists purely because "it's too good to be true" or "it's too big to be announced on Twitter/outside of a big direct" I'll have you know that it's extremely likely that the games included won't be more than simple remasters.

NateDrake described Mario 64 to be on the same level as the Turok ports on the Switch, and while his credibility has taken a nosedive in the last month, at the end of the day the reason we even know about this collection is because of insiders like him, so I see no reason to consider this to be the most likely outcome. There's also no sign that Galaxy 2 would be included, so it really seems that haven't put much effort into it.

But even without those rumors, I don't think we should expect anything special. A simple collection of ports with no additional content or major graphical overall sold at 60 dollarydoos for the big Mario anniversary it's something that Nintendo would do.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, if anyone doubts that the Mario collection exists purely because "it's too good to be true" or "it's too big to be announced on Twitter/outside of a big direct" I'll have you know that it's extremely likely that the games included won't be more than simple remasters.

NateDrake described Mario 64 to be on the same level as the Turok ports on the Switch, and while his credibility has taken a nosedive in the last month, at the end of the day the reason we even know about this collection is because of insiders like him, so I see no reason to consider this to be the most likely outcome. There's also no sign that Galaxy 2 would be included, so it really seems that haven't put much effort into it.

But even without those rumors, I don't think we should expect anything special. A simple collection of ports with no additional content or major graphical overall sold at 60 dollarydoos for the big Mario anniversary it's something that Nintendo would do.
Oh I more than believe that they'd easily throw it up on Twitter randomly one day/reveal it in a mini Direct.

I'm just cautious about its existence.

We've been waiting on Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch for years now, and SF GP was leakbait this entire time. I think that the HD remasters could happen sure, but at the same time, we don't even know when we'll even get our next news drop.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, are you sure? It wouldn't be the first time...

At least it came with a history book and soundtrack. I can't remember what the price was but the Mario Wiki seems to indicate that it was slightly more expensive (makes sense given it's physical and has some extras) or in some regions cheaper than what it would be to buy the games off the Vitrual Console.

Glad I got it for my birthday because I've seen this release marked at insane prices now.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, the new Sakurai column leaked, and uh.

We really could have had better online.
I feel like I should point this out.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What game is Rollback Netcode from? How would it work in Smash? It must be well sought out after if it’s crossovered into so many games nowadays including indies.

Well, consider me a support for Rollback Netcode for Smash and hopefully it‘s FP7! I just wonder what it’s home stage and spirits would be...Regardless, I’m totes maining it if it does - even if it breaks the game and ends up being more OP than Sm4sh Bayo.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
From a dev that has actual experience working with rollback netcode

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
From a dev that has actual experience working with rollback netcode

Damn, 8 players isn't even an issue as you can only play with a maximum of 4 people. Smash ****ing sucks man

SKX31

Smash Master
I feel like I should point this out.

Considering the tweet Schnee117 Schnee117 posted here (and the guy's worked on KI and Skullgirls, two rollback games). it sounds like the reasons why rollback wasn't implemented were "time constraints" and "while it's feasible to do, it would take a lot of time and effort to implement". Nintendo might've also balked at the idea since the organization generally been fiscally conservative. However, A) the #FixUltimateOnline uproar, B) Ultimate being pulled from EVO Online (before that was cancelled) and C) Melee getting Slippi's rollback netcoding might've caused some Nintendo head honchos to reconsider that stance.

Still believe that it's possible to implement rollback in Ultimate - perhaps an Ultimate DX port to the next console? Also:

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Why am I suddenly hearing rumours about a Smash reveal coming soon? I took a break from the speculation train but now people seem to be expecting something. Did I miss a hint?

Heoj

Smash Ace
Why am I suddenly hearing rumours about a Smash reveal coming soon? I took a break from the speculation train but now people seem to be expecting something. Did I miss a hint?
I mean i think someone else can explain it better but basically there hasnt been an event tourney/spirit event announced today(or yesterday depending on your timezone) meaning something could be announced this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom