• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakurai: “Yeah so Western picks require overcoming the language barrier and therefore can be more difficult”

Dudes: “Bruh, Sakurai is a troll! He says one thing but he’s a troll, don’t you know? He doesn’t mean what he says! How do I know that? Isn’t it obvious??? It’s convenient for my argument!!!”
View attachment 284050
Whippity whine the Rowlet image is now mine

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not necessarily Smash related, but I saw someone post this on the Geno thread:

this is kinda off topic but at the same time it’s not because it talks about square Enix as well.

this link is to a reddit post, it explains the rules of paper mario massively in more detail and theres some interesting stuff about square working on mario RPG as well in it

there’s also some interesting stuff to do with AlphaDream. It’s stated in here that as soon as AlphaDream went bankrupt they bought the mario and Luigi series rights off them so that they didn’t experience what happened with Square Enix again.

Assuming I'm reading this right, then the rumored "Mario Quality Assurance Team" isn't as strict as we all think. Basically, as long as it doesn't contradict with the main details, developers can do whatever they want. "Add, but don't replace", as it says. Though that begs the question of how it would affect Smash representation, assuming it even does...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakurai: Good news! There's going to be very special content from a Mario game that Square Enix made in Smash!
Fans: !!!!!!!!
Sakurai: Yep, Waluigi's in and he's bringing the entire Mario Hoops 3 on 3 soundtrack with him!
Fans:
"This is from a Mario game? Wow, it's a really interesting departure from the general vibe you usually get from Super Mario music."

"Huh, I guess that means Nintendo wouldn't allow anything like that nowadays..."

...Never have I been so amazed and depressed in such a short beat.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not necessarily Smash related, but I saw someone post this on the Geno thread:

Assuming I'm reading this right, then the rumored "Mario Quality Assurance Team" isn't as strict as we all think. Basically, as long as it doesn't contradict with the main details, developers can do whatever they want. "Add, but don't replace", as it says. Though that begs the question of how it would affect Smash representation, assuming it even does...
The lack of good sources and the language of that post just screams "I can't comprehend the fact that Paper Mario isn't an RPG anymore and I need to harass someone for that rather than moving on to something else" so to answer your question I don't think that anything said there will effect Smash at all.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There was a point in time where Sakurai stated how difficult it was working with third-parties to get characters in Smash. Just third-parties in general, not of any specific region. The statement would regularly get bandied about, and this curbed expectation as to how many we'd receive, thinking it'd number no more than two or three a game.

And for a while we were right, and then we were wrong. And then we were spectacularly wrong.

I've no doubt it's difficult to negotiate with third-parties, and I've no doubt the language barrier adds even more difficulties to an already strenuous task. But no one remembers the original quote of Sakurai speaking on how hard it will be to add third-parties in general to Smash, and even if they do it no longer affects their expectations. Eventually, perhaps not with this game, but eventually, people will no longer factor in the one specifically talking about western third-parties either.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Eventually, perhaps not with this game, but eventually, people will no longer factor in the one specifically talking about western third-parties either.
Or we just may not see many, or any, western third party characters being added. It's been intimated that we won't be seeing another game like Ultimate. I would argue it's less likely we will see western characters if future games aren't such crazy crossover events.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Or we just may not see many, or any, western third party characters being added. It's been intimated that we won't be seeing another game like Ultimate. I would argue it's less likely we will see western characters if future games aren't such crazy crossover events.
Just because the character count likely won't reach as high as Ultimate's again doesn't mean they'll forego what seems to draw the most eyes to Smash these days: the addition and reveal of big new characters to the series. That's Smash's bread and butter now, its status as a crazy crossover isn't going to conclude with this title, much like it didn't begin with it either.

And that goes doubly so when they eventually have to compensate for the inevitable cuts with new additions. The stature of most remaining first-party newcomers aren't what they used to be, and meanwhile there's no dearth of third-parties left to mine; it's only a matter of time before western game series play a bigger role in the series.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think that we would need to cross that bridge when we get there. Speaking on hypothetical scenarios is kind of unlikely. It honestly could be just as likely Nintendo just ports Smash Ultimate a few times ala Mario Kart 8 or their original plans for Brawl if Sakurai did not direct (a literal Melee port with online).

I think the big hurdle is the number of Western characters that are realistic for Smash are kind of slim. You need either a character who has insane fan demand and/or is relevant in Japan. If your character is not the latter, they need to especially be the former. That is part of the reason Banjo got in. Banjo has historically been such a big fan request that the fact that Xbox is a joke in Japan was a non issue. The only Western character that I feel very confident in is Crash, but he is such a unique case (huge revival, popular in Japan and West, formerly Sony's mascot) he kind of hits both of those categories.

I will say though that the one thing that I think has changed for Smash is that Smash has a lot more leverage in terms of third party negotiations and the like than in the past. Smash basically has solidified itself over the past decade since Brawl as gaming's greatest crossover. Not Nintendo's. Gaming's. Smash was able to negotiate contracts as byzantine as with Hero and Dragon Quest, which in Brawl would be unthinkable. Getting your character in the biggest crossover in gaming is an advertiser's dream, since Smash is a great place to shill characters to promote a new game. Smash can help revive franchises or bring them across the seas. Smash is a giant. There is a reason that three switch games were planned from its inception: Smash, BotW, and Odyssey.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Assuming I'm reading this right, then the rumored "Mario Quality Assurance Team" isn't as strict as we all think. Basically, as long as it doesn't contradict with the main details, developers can do whatever they want. "Add, but don't replace", as it says.
You can't even do that really. They're not allowed to make a new character design from an existing species. It's why there are so many freaking generic Toads and Shy Guys in the newer Paper Mario games.

It seems to me like Super Mario games aren't allowed to give off any sort of different vibe from the mainline titles. The closest we've got to that was Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle since it throws in the low-brow Rabbid humor alongside what you'd normally expect from he Super Mario series. Something like Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door or Mario Strikers: Charged though? I don't think we'll see anything like that for at least long time.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Last I heard, no direct this year, so we might get a random non direct smash reveal.
I've come to accept that as most likely happening. Hell, the last 2 were revealed in sakurai prsents, so why not the next 5?

Oh god, I keep pushing the fact that the Lumiose City theme made it out of my mind.
Oh god, I keep pushing the fact that the only music from any Johto game is that garbage medley out of my mind.

Gotchu covered:
thanks for that rundown.

Basically, what Nate said is supposed to happen, but he either got outdated info or jumped to conclusions, so he doesn't know exactly when. In the meantime, Grubb placed a Nintendo Wildcard at an unspecified date before Tokyo Game Show, though we don't know exactly what it is.

Personally, I'm guessing the 3rd, so we're exactly one day away from the one-year anniversary of the last direct.
man i get having outdated info is easy with nintendo, expecially right now. but might have been best to just double check. oh well.

Namco did apparently finally get the rights back, if this trailer is any indication, but yeah, it was probably too late for the base roster.

I would l,ove a free echo fighter added for Ms Pac Man. She is like the most needed Echo for this game. She is, or I think she is, the first ever playable female character in gaming. or at least one of the first. Plus she outsold Pac Man and helped keept the video game industry running. She by far deserves to be in, even as an echo as it fits her fine.

sauce

I swear this happens every week it is getting to the point where I am convinced that these games don't actually exist
Watch this 3d COllection be the new Team Star Fox Racing.

BZocky

Smash Ace
I have doubts about Waluigi mainly because I have no idea how they'd scrap together a bundle featuring him.

How would they even handle the Spirit Board? Ten Spirits of Waluigi featuring artwork from various games?
Here's one I made when I was bored the other day. I tried not to use too many spirits featuring Waluigi himself and to cover a lot of bases in 8 spirits.

Waluigi Spirit Board small.png

Wario from a Mario Tennis game - origin/Mario Tennis series
Daisy - she returned in his debut game and he has a romantic interest towards her. In Mario Strikers, Waluigi and Daisy share the defensive captain trait.
Piranha Plant
Wario Car- first Mario Kart appearance and represents his camaraderie with Wario
Mario from DDR Mario Mix - that time Wah was the big bad (sorta)
Wrecking Crew spirits - Waluigi has ties to Foreman Spike/Eggplants/the game in general
it only felt right the most powerful character on his board was Luigi, his ultimate rival (or so Waluigi thinks).

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think that we would need to cross that bridge when we get there. Speaking on hypothetical scenarios is kind of unlikely. It honestly could be just as likely Nintendo just ports Smash Ultimate a few times ala Mario Kart 8
Wouldn't Sakurai still have to go through all the hoops to get the licensing from all of those 3rd parties? I think an Ultimate port is one of those scenarios that might just be impossible.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wouldn't Sakurai still have to go through all the hoops to get the licensing from all of those 3rd parties? I think an Ultimate port is one of those scenarios that might just be impossible.
He would have to get all the licensing costs. at the least all the content already in the game wouldn't have to be worked on, so they could just add new content, but all the licensing cost tied with Ultimate would have to be Paid for again.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
He would have to get all the licensing costs. at the least all the content already in the game wouldn't have to be worked on, so they could just add new content, but all the licensing cost tied with Ultimate would have to be Paid for again.
That's true, maybe impossible wasn't the right word, but who knows if Nintendo may somehow get on bad terms with one of the 3rd parties in the future. Regardless, I'd love a Smash Ultimate Deluxe and I want it to happen on the next console.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's true, maybe impossible wasn't the right word, but who knows if Nintendo may somehow get on bad terms with one of the 3rd parties in the future. Regardless, I'd love a Smash Ultimate Deluxe and I want it to happen on the next console.
The licensing question will be answered once Rockstar releases GTAV on PS5 and we can see if they can get all of the radio songs back.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ive been on a Danganronpa binge lately and I got to thinking, if DR got in smash, would nintendo let Monokuma have a final smash if the blood was still pink and the execution was one of the more cartoony ones? Like
Mondo turning to butter
which had no blood?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ive been on a Danganronpa binge lately and I got to thinking, if DR got in smash, would nintendo let Monokumas have a final smash if the "blood" was still pink and the execution was one of the more cartoony ones? Like
Mondo turning to butter
which had no blood?
I'd imagine it would be a custom Monokuma themed one with maybe references to a bunch of executions from the series but nothing super explicit or If I had to choose one specific execution I would choose Blast Off! because that is the first one we see in the franchise.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Just recently, I had an idea of what would be a viable pick for a Pokemon Gen 8 rep. I know that people have been dreading the idea of another highly marketed Pokemon making it in, so I thought, "Why not do something different and add a trainer instead?" Then it hit me.
87ec76cde8507665e0f932d5e2cb1e25.jpg

Bea would be the perfect choice. She's a karate master, so she could easily do most of the fighting while her special moves would involve summoning different Pokemon and use their signature moves to disrupt opponents. Would anyone else like the idea of a human character representing Pokemon in the roster? I still want Inteleon, but I'd be happy with this sort of change for once as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just recently, I had an idea of what would be a viable pick for a Pokemon Gen 8 rep. I know that people have been dreading the idea of another highly marketed Pokemon making it in, so I thought, "Why not do something different and add a trainer instead?" Then it hit me.
View attachment 284061
Bea would be the perfect choice. She's a karate master, so she could easily do most of the fighting while her special moves would involve summoning different Pokemon and use their signature moves to disrupt opponents. Would anyone else like the idea of a human character representing Pokemon in the roster? I still want Inteleon, but I'd be happy with this sort of change for once as well.
It sounds like a cool idea on paper, but you have to understand that we're choosing a rep from a world filled with weird animal-like creatures with mystical, magical powers.

Bea is no different from any other human character. Her talents are not limited to her, and there are plenty of martial artists capable of doing everything Bea can do and more. Now I suppose you could have Pokemon spawn to assist her with certain attacks, but then that begs the question of why you wouldn't add the Pokemon themselves instead of Bea.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Just because the character count likely won't reach as high as Ultimate's again doesn't mean they'll forego what seems to draw the most eyes to Smash these days: the addition and reveal of big new characters to the series. That's Smash's bread and butter now, its status as a crazy crossover isn't going to conclude with this title, much like it didn't begin with it either.

And that goes doubly so when they eventually have to compensate for the inevitable cuts with new additions. The stature of most remaining first-party newcomers aren't what they used to be, and meanwhile there's no dearth of third-parties left to mine; it's only a matter of time before western game series play a bigger role in the series.
This ties into something I've thought about recently. Say the next Smash game has to cut 20 characters, but then there are around 20 base game newcomers, all of them pretty hype additions, and DLC after that to bring even more hype characters. That would help soften the blow of having to trim the roster a lot.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It sounds like a cool idea on paper, but you have to understand that we're choosing a rep from a world filled with weird animal-like creatures with mystical, magical powers.

Bea is no different from any other human character. Her talents are not limited to her, and there are plenty of martial artists capable of doing everything Bea can do and more. Now I suppose you could have Pokemon spawn to assist her with certain attacks, but then that begs the question of why you wouldn't add the Pokemon themselves instead of Bea.
Yeah, I think a better choice would be having the trainer be the support in some way be it through battle items or summoning other Pokémon for Special Moves (though you do have to make sure the main Pokémon's traits are still able to shine through).

toonito

Smash Ace
View attachment 284061
I like the idea mainly because I'm not really crazy about any of the leading choices for a Galar rep. I also like the idea because we already have playable pokemon, and a trainer who uses a team of pokemon to fight so why not have a trainer who fights alongside her Pokemon. The pokemon she uses would be based on her Gym and Champion Cup teams.

my basic ideas for Bea below

i'm increasingly liking the idea of a trainer who fights since we already have pokemon that fight and a trainer who uses a team of pokemon to fight

Bea whose normals, tilts, and smash attacks could be her fighting while her specials could be her pokemon and her final Smash is either gigantimax Machamp or a duo attack with Machamp

Hawlucha could be her Up Special (Bounce, operates similar to Cloud's Up Special)
Falinks could be her Down Special (Megahorn)
Hitmontop could be her Side Special (Triple Kick, operates similar to Ken's Side Special)
Sirfetch'd could be her Neutral Special (Leaf Blade)
Grapploct could act as her grabs (said to have high gripping strength, operate similar to Peach and Toad)

If Pokemon was to get another rep I'd like it to be Bea

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 284061
Honestly, given "Pokemon Trainer" (not "Red" or "Leaf"), this seems unlikely. Smash is pretty hesitant to depict NPC human Pokemon characters - note how 100% of the Pokemon spirits are Pokemon themselves, and none of the series' human characters. Not even big names like Oak, Lance, Giovanni, or Cynthia.

She'd be a fun pick for a :ultbrawler: costume, though.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Bunch of TGS lineups announced.

Any changes to your speculation based on the games here?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I heard Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom said he heard chatter or a rumor of a early October reveal and a late October release for the next Smash fighter.
Nothing substantial. Just various Japanese Smash communities, discussion groups, and the like that I check in every so often. I wouldn’t put any stock in it though. Especially given that I’ve seen speculation that there is an executive/corporation shake up going on or that Nintendo avoided an 8/28 Direct to avoid it clashing with Prime Minister Abe’s resignation. Again, I’m not willing to bet any of these, even the October release, to be factual. Just interesting speculation within the Japanese scene- much what we do here.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Just found this guy on Twitter who seems pretty trustworthy. His name is Sexyguypictures, and he teased Bayo 3 news in a Direct that will supposedly air September 3rd.

I think we can believe him.
Actually, I only said they'd announce when they'd show the Bayo 3 news on the 3rd. An announcemnet of an announcement if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom