• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Nate has been going a bit more into detail with everything surrounding that last partner showcase.

Basically: Chaos behind the scenes, plans changed last minute-ish, he doesn't expect any general Directs this year anymore at this point, keep an eye out on Twitter.
I dont wanna brag and say I told you all so

but

I told yold you all so

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I won't wallow in despair until after September. As unprecedented as it would be, they could still reveal Holiday 2020 stuff next month. That would be about a two month gap, just like Origami King and Pikmin 3 Deluxe. Not saying we'll get anything, but at least hold on to hope for one more month.

Anyway, this latest Partner Showcase is just further proof that people shouldn't put too much stock in what insiders say, regardless of how reliable they are. Nintendo has made a lot of sudden and last-minute changes this year, so the information these insiders get might not be accurate anymore.
Yeah, if the insiders themselves are saying they're unreliable, only a statement from Nintendo themselves is going to clear anything up. Which essentially means we're going to be waiting anywhere from a few weeks to half a year. Fun!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, if the insiders themselves are saying they're unreliable, only a statement from Nintendo themselves is going to clear anything up. Which essentially means we're going to be waiting anywhere from a few weeks to half a year. Fun!
If anything, leakers are only good for a vague timeframe, and that's all we can really rely on for the moment.

Basically, everyone has to act like Grubb now.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Someone just needs to create a Nintendo presentation generator that you can use to predict the type and date of any future Direct; it would be about as accurate as half the insiders.

"Well the speculation says that its most likely going to be..."

throws dice

"...a Mini Direct on the 15th."

Last edited:

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
Reminder to anyone getting stressed about the lack of a Direct about Nintendo's own games: I know it's been said before, but please feel free to disengage with the speculation and just go play through something in your backlog.

Didn't finish Xenoblade, or Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or Dragon Quest XI, or some other long game? Pick it up again. Haven't played through all of the classics currently on the NES/SNES app? Give Super Metroid or Yoshi's Island a whirl. Doesn't even have to be on Switch - I still need to finish up Persona 4 Golden on Steam.

Point is, video games are still around and you almost certainly have a good number you could play right now. Eagerness for news is fine, but try not to take that to the point of despair.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Reminder to anyone getting stressed about the lack of a Direct about Nintendo's own games: I know it's been said before, but please feel free to disengage with the speculation and just go play through something in your backlog.

Didn't finish Xenoblade, or Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or Dragon Quest XI, or some other long game? Pick it up again. Haven't played through all of the classics currently on the NES/SNES app? Give Super Metroid or Yoshi's Island a whirl. Doesn't even have to be on Switch - I still need to finish up Persona 4 Golden on Steam.

Point is, video games are still around and you almost certainly have a good number you could play right now. Eagerness for news is fine, but try not to take that to the point of despair.
I mean, considering all that's been going on and how long it's been going on, I don't think it's unreasonable to judge Nintendo on not entertaining its audience for so long. I play old games most of the time, but that doesn't make the lack of new games any better. And I might be in the minority on this, but I despise sudden shadowdrops, because there's no way to prepare for them and it causes unnecessary confusion. At least use something different rather than rely on uncalled shifts in the way we understand how Nintendo distributes news.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Spongebob really does have something for every situation.

Not really we still don't know the release date, price, or launch line up for the systems. In fact Playstation fans are pretty annoyed at Sony right now for not communicating these to us. Then you got Xbox which just delayed their only big first party game for the rest of the year and got pretty nothing else for the rest of the year to the point I would argue Nintendo's first party line up for 2020 is still better then MS's.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I mean, considering all that's been going on and how long it's been going on, I don't think it's unreasonable to judge Nintendo on not entertaining its audience for so long. I play old games most of the time, but that doesn't make the lack of new games any better. And I might be in the minority on this, but I despise sudden shadowdrops, because there's no way to prepare for them and it causes unnecessary confusion. At least use something different rather than rely on uncalled shifts in the way we understand how Nintendo distributes news.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more news on what they've got in the works too. We all know why they're behind schedule, and are eager to see what they have when it's ready to show off. That said, it's not hard to understand why they're talking around it either. From a strict PR management angle, I feel like the intense pushback against some kind of "Directs are cancelled for the forseeable future" statement overrides any potential benefit. The Nintendo fanbase on social media has spun itself into a frenzy over the next "big hype Direct" but honestly Nintendo hasn't promised anyone that. It's clear they want to hold their cards close until they're sure they can guarantee a timely release, and not have stuff like the situation they're stuck in right now with Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 where the early teaser announcement has left people hanging for an inordinately long time.

You're allowed to agree or disagree with that approach, but there is a logic to it. And that's why I'm saying it's pointless to get too upset when you can go and play any of the many good games that are already out rather than fret over games and content that they aren't ready to show off.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Someone just needs to create a Nintendo presentation generator that you can use to predict the type and date of any future Direct; it would be about as accurate as half the insiders.

"Well the speculation says that its most likely going to be..."

throws dice

"...a Mini Direct on the 15th."
There was a website that generated a fake E3 leak. It's out of date now, but i remember enjoying it when It was relevant.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I mean, considering all that's been going on and how long it's been going on, I don't think it's unreasonable to judge Nintendo on not entertaining its audience for so long. I play old games most of the time, but that doesn't make the lack of new games any better.
A backlog of old games can only hold people over for so long, before they eventually start jumping ship to other platforms like Sony or Microsoft's consoles and never looking back, because even if most of the currently-known PS5 and XSX games don't have a release date, at least said games are being shown off and talked about, whereas Nintendo is showing off nothing.

Say what you will about Halo Infinite being delayed, at least we know that it actually exists in an official capacity and that it'll be coming out eventually, even if not for a while. The supposed Mario 3D remasters? We're only talking about those because insiders have been telling us about them for months by now, and if they truly exist, then Nintendo hasn't said a single damn thing about them, not even a teaser just to confirm that the remasters are a thing.

It's clear they want to hold their cards close until they're sure they can guarantee a timely release, and not have stuff like the situation they're stuck in right now with Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 where the early teaser announcement has left people hanging for an inordinately long time.
This would make sense... if it weren't for the fact that, when Nintendo had to announce that Metroid Prime 4 had to be delayed and restarted development, most people were understanding about it. This radio silence approach they're currently going with, on the other hand, is just pissing people off unnecessarily.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pretty much this (though I don't hate shadow drop Smash stuff since I can get my hands on it right away, whereas other stuff I just have to remember exists for later). I think the reason why I would like a Nintendo Direct specifically is that, while I do have like a 300+ hour backlog what with all the RPGs I haven't finished/started yet, and I do enjoy my time with them, I've just been under quite a bit of stress for the past...well, year actually (nothing too serious, but a lot nonetheless). I think a lot of this year has been wasted time not doing things that I particularly want to do because I haven't done the things I need to do yet and not doing the things I need to do I just can't seem to get started, and I guess I just want something to look forward to even if it isn't related to what's important right now. Can't really get that from shadow drops on a social media site I don't even use.

...I hope this doesn't read to anyone as me being mentally ill and hinging my happiness on the whims of Nintendo. That's not what I'm saying. I'm just a little bummed out is all, and I think something cool that's coming in the foreseeable future (even if it's just Spring 2021) to think about would help. I'd settle for just a status update on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
This would make sense... if it weren't for the fact that, when Nintendo had to announce that Metroid Prime 4 had to be delayed and restarted development, most people were understanding about it. This radio silence approach they're currently going with, on the other hand, is just pissing people off unnecessarily.
People were relatively understanding when it was one game. Saying something to the effect of "nearly all Nintendo-published games are delayed indefinitely" (which seems to be the case) would be another story altogether.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well so much for the more news this week nate was saying. Guess we can say for certain no insider knows info other then a vague idea

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm sure whatever Grubb is hinting at is just going to wound up as another Partner Direct lol

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
People were relatively understanding when it was one game. Saying something to the effect of "nearly all Nintendo-published games are delayed indefinitely" (which seems to be the case) would be another story altogether.
Maybe so, but there's an easy solution to this, and they've already done it with New Pokemon Snap: reveal their games with a "Coming Soon" release date. This way, Nintendo doesn't have to commit to a specific date and potentially delay the game if things aren't going smoothly, while still revealing stuff and get fans excited and talking about future games.

That's a way better approach than "You know those games that are being rumored about by insiders and that you're excited to see announced? Yeah, we're gonna remain completely silent about them and leave you hanging until about two months before their release."

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If it helps, Grubb says we'll get something from Nintendo before Tokyo Game Show... And that's about it. Beyond that, it seems he knows as much as we do.
For those who want to know TGS is the 23rd of September, Grubb is almost certainly talking about a Partner Showcase though

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
"You know those games that are being rumored about by insiders and that you're excited to see announced? Yeah, we're gonna remain completely silent about them and leave you hanging until about two months before their release."
The easy solution to this is to always assume alleged "insiders" are wrong until proven otherwise. You're not left hanging if you don't put stock in unverified rumors.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’ve heard chatter, only chatter mind you, on the Japanese channels that I somewhat frequent that we won’t get F7 until the first week of October with a it’s release in the end of October and that would be it for the characters in 2020.

Hopefully that is a bull**** but I wouldn’t be surprised how things are going and the general lack of news as of late.

D

Deleted member

I’ve heard chatter, only chatter mind you, on the Japanese channels that I somewhat frequent that we won’t get F7 until the first week of October with a it’s release in the end of October and that would be it for the characters in 2020.

Hopefully that is a bull**** but I wouldn’t be surprised how things are going and the general lack of news as of late.
To be honest, thats a better rumor to 'hold on to' since it would mean I wouldn't have to waste my time hoping for something every 3 days throughout the month of September.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
For those who want to know TGS is the 23rd of September, Grubb is almost certainly talking about a Partner Showcase though
A partner show case right before TGS does make sense, I can see both Rune Factory 5 and No More Heroes 3 being there plus there is a Monster Hunter game for Switch that Capcom has teased being in development a couple of times that I can see being revealed there.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, a lot of it is just speculation. Another one is the belief that Nintendo knew days in advance that the PM of Japan would resign on 28th (despite only telling his Cabinet the morning of his evening announcement) so they didn’t want to conflict between the two So they did the Partner Presentation. That’s stretching it, I think.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The easy solution to this is to always assume alleged "insiders" are wrong until proven otherwise. You're not left hanging if you don't put stock in unverified rumors.
I get not wanting to trust insiders due to their information not always being reliable, but that still doesn't make it any better when all we officially know about Nintendo's first party lineup for the holidays are one Switch game (which isn't even a brand new game anyway), one DLC expansion, and maybe a Smash DLC character. If they have more stuff than that lined up, they should just announce them already instead of leaving us stuck in limbo for what feels like an eternity.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't think there's going to be too big of a gap between a character's reveal and release date now. I think they'll just keep doing the Byleth/Min Min thing where they reveal and present the character then release them 1 or 2 weeks later.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, a lot of it is just speculation. Another one is the belief that Nintendo knew days in advance that the PM of Japan would resign on 28th (despite only telling his Cabinet the morning of his evening announcement) so they didn’t want to conflict between the two So they did the Partner Presentation. That’s stretching it, I think.
Wow, the Nintendo Ninjas are everywhere...

Also, for my own two cents, I keep forgetting New Pokemon Snap even exists, so maybe having a "Coming Soon" wouldn't be the BEST solution, as preferable as that would be.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
On the bright side, we're officially a week away from the anniversary of the last Nintendo Direct.

Yay....?
This is indeed a bad thing as other people already said; anyway, let's think about how even before covid, we have been half year without a general direct. This is IMO the sign that Nintendo is changing their way to do announcements, and that the Directs are not their favorite method anymore (not the general ones at least).

Anyway, not based on anything, just what I feel, I think that the next character will be teased around mid september and released around end of october/beginning of november; but a september announcement with "avaliable now" might also happen too, it's just less likely IMO. The character after will probably be teased in late december and released the next year similar to Joker in FP1.
As unlikely as it may seem, I think that it will probably be a first party once again. Most of the times, third parties were leaked in a way or another. With Byleth they were able to keep the secret until the end, and with min min kinda too, more or less. It seems that it's easier to avoid leaks when the character is first party because they have more control over the informations; this is why I think that the next character is likely another first party (or second if not first). What franchise I don't know... Some of the possible ones are Pokèmon, Kirby, Zelda, DK (basically just Dixie), Rhythm Heaven; but I don't know really.
It can still be third party though, maybe they just became better at keeping their stuff secret and first or third party doesn't matter at all.
This can be wrong, it's just some random personal predictions.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Considering how we're days away from the start of September, I'm gonna bring up the possibility that I first mentioned in the beginning of July. Maybe Min Min was always planned to be the only character revealed at E3.

A lot of people dismissed this because, "Nintendo would never do that. They always reveal more than one character," but waiting until September when they typically do another Direct (three to four months between each fighter) does seem to line up better with the 2021 deadline. If the next fighter is released in September or October, then that means 2021 will have four fighters to be spread out over twelve months.

Just a theory though. Personally, I'm not sure why they didn't reveal F7 alongside Min Min if they had already planned to reveal it at E3 anyway.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This might bring up some irritation after what happened last time, but it seems that Grubb says we'll be getting something from the Big N before Tokyo Game Show... Which doesn't change much, to be honest. Still saying September 3rd, just to cut it that close to a year between directs.

In the meantime, I politely request a nickel for every person who says September Partner Showcase in response to this.
I'm sure whatever Grubb is hinting at is just going to wound up as another Partner Direct lol
Your nickels. Hand them over.
Gruesome.png

Considering how we're days away from the start of September, I'm gonna bring up the possibility that I first mentioned in the beginning of July. Maybe Min Min was always planned to be the only character revealed at E3.

A lot of people dismissed this because, "Nintendo would never do that. They always reveal more than one character," but waiting until September when they typically do another Direct (three to four months between each fighter) does seem to line up better with the 2021 deadline. If the next fighter is released in September or October, then that means 2021 will have four fighters to be spread out over twelve months.

Just a theory though. Personally, I'm not sure why they didn't reveal F7 alongside Min Min if they had already planned to reveal it at E3 anyway.
To be fair, Hero and Banjo were revealed at E3, followed by Banjo's release and Terry's reveal in the September direct. Had it not been for COVID, I could easily see a repeat with CP7 and CP8.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
To be fair, Hero and Banjo were revealed at E3, followed by Banjo's release and Terry's reveal in the September direct. Had it not been for COVID, I could easily see a repeat with CP7 and CP8.
The difference is 5 characters in 1 year vs 6 characters in 2 years.
If E3 was always supposed to be a double reveal, then it would mean that FP2 would have got 2 reveals each year, one of them being double, and about six months of nothing between each one. In my opinion not the best way to plan out the whole thing.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
A partner show case right before TGS does make sense, I can see both Rune Factory 5 and No More Heroes 3 being there plus there is a Monster Hunter game for Switch that Capcom has teased being in development a couple of times that I can see being revealed there.
Actually talking about Monster Hunter, Dusk Golem (the guy who has leaked the details on RE8, and previously RE3make) has just said that the Monster Hunter game for the Switch is going to be revealed soon. I have been keeping an eye on him and he's pretty much reliable so far, specially when it comes to Capcom info. He also was the one who talked about the problems behind Street Fighter 6 development, for example.

So, according to him, the MH Switch game is gonna be announced soon. Not gonna say that means a General Direct is coming, it could be revealed at the TGS, but I don't know, a Monster Hunter exclusive game is a very big card, specially nowadays because the franchise is super popular thanks to MH: World. And Kelios seem to have teased something happening soon. Granted, he could be talking about a Twitter announcement, and if that's the case that would be for a first party game.

Edit: this is the MH thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom