• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’ve heard chatter, only chatter mind you, on the Japanese channels that I somewhat frequent that we won’t get F7 until the first week of October with a it’s release in the end of October and that would be it for the characters in 2020.

Hopefully that is a bull**** but I wouldn’t be surprised how things are going and the general lack of news as of late.
I can see it happening. Well, 4 characters next year is exciting atleast? I really hope the next 5 are as exciting as:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:. That was such a fun stretch of characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It could be that Nintendo at one point had plans to salvage some of what was planned for the E3 presentation, and held back most of the contents just in case those plans came together, including the Smash character. I mean, who's to say Nintendo's immediate reaction to E3 getting cancelled was "ok, we'll just wait until the fall (or later)". Even if not, I'm positive parts of what was intended for E3 have yet to be formally revealed.

Obv those intentions never came to fruition, and now it seems like almost everything is going to be pushed into 2021, so outliers like DLC, at this point, will probably not be tied to a Direct.

But, the hypothetical schedule for two reveals at E3 2020 isn't that strange, though it would probably result in only a single reveal at E3 2021.

E3 2020: FP6 & FP7 revealed, 6 released
Sept Direct 2020: FP7 released, FP8 revealed
Late 2020/Early 2021: FP8 released
Q1 Direct 2021: FP9 revealed
Spring 2021: FP9 released
E3 2021: FP10 revealed
Late Summer/Early Fall: FP10 released
Sept Direct 2021: FP11 revealed
Holiday 2021: FP11 released

Keep in mind that while FP2 existed for two years, it didn't actually begin until half way through the first.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Actually talking about Monster Hunter, Dusk Golem (the guy who has leaked the details on RE8, and previously RE3make) has just said that the Monster Hunter game for the Switch is going to be revealed soon. I have been keeping an eye on him and he's pretty much reliable so far, specially when it comes to Capcom info. He also was the one who talked about the problems behind Street Fighter 6 development, for example.

So, according to him, the MH Switch game is gonna be announced soon. Not gonna say that means a General Direct is coming, it could be revealed at the TGS, but I don't know, a Monster Hunter exclusive game is a very big card, specially nowadays because the franchise is super popular thanks to MH: World. And Kelios seem to have teased something happening soon. Granted, he could be talking about a Twitter announcement, and if that's the case that would be for a first party game.

Edit: this is the MH thing.

That would be quite interesting (regarding the engine details). The RE Engine is just straight better in every way compared to the MT Framework engine. It should also be more performant, which is important on the Switch.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I’ve heard chatter, only chatter mind you, on the Japanese channels that I somewhat frequent that we won’t get F7 until the first week of October with a it’s release in the end of October and that would be it for the characters in 2020.

Hopefully that is a bull**** but I wouldn’t be surprised how things are going and the general lack of news as of late.
If true, this is a little later than I'm expecting. But it's still on-schedule. I was hypothesizing an average of three months between character releases. Another person in this thread math'd it out and, going three months between each fighter, we'd end well before December. So, we could either wrap up FP2 sooner than expected, or some of the fighters will go four months between release. I know it probably annoys you that we didn't get a 3/3 split between 2020 and 2021 (at least, it annoys me a little) but we're still on track, believe it or not.

We could even get a 5 or 6 month gap, and then a 1 or 2 month gap. We'll see. I was worried they might need to delay the pass, but they still have a very generous window between releases.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Well I was thinking hearing about FP7 would happening in september or October, so this sounds reasonable. wish it was sooner, but still I'll be looking forward to it.

Still though... Nintendo is making bank without announcing anything... what a crazy world

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Still though... Nintendo is making bank without announcing anything... what a crazy world
The pandemic really is a double-edged sword for Nintendo. It's completely derailed their plans, but the skyrocketing gaming market has allowed them to wildly succeed while doing very little right now.

And then ultimately we, the fans, get to lose on both fronts, lol.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Actually talking about Monster Hunter, Dusk Golem (the guy who has leaked the details on RE8, and previously RE3make) has just said that the Monster Hunter game for the Switch is going to be revealed soon. I have been keeping an eye on him and he's pretty much reliable so far, specially when it comes to Capcom info. He also was the one who talked about the problems behind Street Fighter 6 development, for example.

So, according to him, the MH Switch game is gonna be announced soon. Not gonna say that means a General Direct is coming, it could be revealed at the TGS, but I don't know, a Monster Hunter exclusive game is a very big card, specially nowadays because the franchise is super popular thanks to MH: World. And Kelios seem to have teased something happening soon. Granted, he could be talking about a Twitter announcement, and if that's the case that would be for a first party game.

Edit: this is the MH thing.

Admittedly I do have trouble believing Dusk after he pulled the whole "there's been plenty of bad Xbox news, so lets put bad PS5 "news" out there" stunt. But he isn't the first to say a Monster Hunter for Switch is happening and its clear he has reliable contacts at Capcom. But an Switch version of the RE Engine sounds interest and can possibly open many doors like ports of Resident Evil 7 and the recent remakes of 2 & 3.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
A Switch port of the RE engine huh? Doesn't Devil May Cry 5 use the same engine? I'd like to see the Switch play that game without the Switch exploding.
Yup along with the recent Resident Evil games and a new IP they are working on for next gen systems are using it. Its basically replaced MT Framework as their in house engine.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH regardless of when FP7 launches (whether September or October), I kind of had a feeling we were looking at only two of those FP2 characters coming this year. 'Tis only a gut feeling with not much evidence to back it up, but at the rate things are going, I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest. My best guess is FP8 is gonna be a January announcement, with potentially another late January release similar to Byleth or maybe even early February. Depending on how things go, I have no doubt in my mind they're gonna really push it with that December deadline, lol.

I hope y'all are ready to experience Smash 4 DLC era's quietness again, lol. We're gonna be here a while.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
TBH regardless of when FP7 launches (whether September or October), I kind of had a feeling we were looking at only two of those FP2 characters coming this year. 'Tis only a gut feeling with not much evidence to back it up, but at the rate things are going, I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest. My best guess is FP8 is gonna be a January announcement, with potentially another late January release similar to Byleth or maybe even early February. Depending on how things go, I have no doubt in my mind they're gonna really push it with that December deadline, lol.

I hope y'all are ready to experience Smash 4 DLC era's quietness again, lol. We're gonna be here a while.
Personally, I'm 50-50 on CP8 being next year. It could release in November like Terry, be a month later and release in December, or it could be a three-month gap between all DLC and release in January after an October release for CP7. It could go either way, really.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Personally, I'm 50-50 on CP8 being next year. It could release in November like Terry, be a month later and release in December, or it could be a three-month gap between all DLC and release in January after an October release for CP7. It could go either way, really.

Well I guess we'll have to wait to see when Banjo's amiibo will release to have an estimate on when CP8 will be released.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The pandemic really is a double-edged sword for Nintendo. It's completely derailed their plans, but the skyrocketing gaming market has allowed them to wildly succeed while doing very little right now.

And then ultimately we, the fans, get to lose on both fronts, lol.
just don't be a fan and play other games then

KatarinaThonk.png

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly depends on how late it launches in September (if it's launching in September). Also depends on how development's been going.

Lots of questions that won't be answered until FP7 gives us a chance to check in with Sakurai, unfortunately.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know anything that isn't announced in General Directs is shovelware but Nintendo literally released Paper Mario The Origami King a while ago and recently revealed Pikmin 3 Deluxe. It's not like there was a complete radio silence like some people in this thread are acting like.

Also, just because Nintendo didn't cram all of their advertisement into a single one doesn't mean Switch has nothing to play now. You can even gasp try and play some third pary titles. I promise you that Nintendo ninjas won't break into your house to revoke your "real Nintendo fan" card.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
don't make that reference don't make that reference-
FEED ME KRELBORN, FEED ME NOW!

...I couldn't help myself. Good to know Sakurai also considers Mean Green Mother From Outer Space to be the national anthem of Plant players

Edit: Happily :ultgreninja:'d because it's always good to see others love Little Shop too

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I know anything that isn't announced in General Directs is shovelware but Nintendo literally released Paper Mario The Origami King a while ago and recently revealed Pikmin 3 Deluxe. It's not like there was a complete radio silence like some people in this thread are acting like.

Also, just because Nintendo didn't cram all of their advertisement into a single one doesn't mean Switch has nothing to play now. You can even gasp try and play some third pary titles. I promise you that Nintendo ninjas won't break into your house to revoke your "real Nintendo fan" card.
You're absolutely right, and I'm guilty of this. The classic saying "be grateful for what you have" went over my head, because looking back over the years, Nintendo has done so much for the Switch, and it's one of my all time favorite Nintendo consoles.

As silly as this is going to sound, thank you for reminding me of something so simple.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
You know what I do during these new release droughts? Play older games I haven't gotten around to finishing.
Lately I've been playing through the DOOM series in anticipation of the eventual Switch port of Eternal.
After I finish the series or get bored with it, I may transition to Castlevania or Metal Gear.
I've been wanting to play Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night for a while.

I actually kinda like game droughts because then I have no excuses to ignore my overstuffed backlog.

As far as Smash speculation goes, I hope the next fighter comes out in September.
Banjo and Kazooie came out just in time for my birthday last year and I'm kinda hoping for a repeat.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I don't agree with this level of snark, from you, and from everyone else with the same sentiment. From what I'm seeing, the lamenting on the lack of the Nintendo Directs stem from the lack of things to look forward to (unless a single port of a niche game revealed with absolutely no fanfare gets you excited) and a lack of transparency that keeps spirits low and expectations at a level that's potentially higher than reality. It's not boredom, just prolonged anticipation.

As for 3rd party stuff, a lot of it is incredibly niche, and hard to remember even if you were interested in it. And the stuff coming from the big names are technically-not-a-spin-off rhythm games and Gameboy ports. Combine this with everyone's anticipation being aimed at first party stuff and it's easy to see why people are underwhelmed even if there are one or two things they find interesting.

And sure, the idea that there's nothing to do is a complete falsehood, but it's ok to be disappointed, critical, and even a little frustrated with the current situation.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sorry if it's been discussed before, but what are the chances that the reason CP7 is taking this long to be revealed is because they want CP8 ready as well for a double reveal, like they did with Hero and B-K (and earlier than that, with Corrin and Bayonetta)? Depeding on how niche CP7 is, it would certainly explain the wait.
Maybe? Assuming E3 was to have a double reveal, I could see Nintendo shoving CP7 back while the devs get acquainted with distance working and sort out Min Min, and allow them to be revealed with CP8 while they're at it. Still, I'd expect CP8 to only get a Terry-style reveal with unique animation and no gameplay footage.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I’ll be honesty if they were waiting to do a double reveal because of the character being not well know I don’t think they would have done it for the :ultbanjokazooie::ulthero3: reveals but for the:ult_terry: but I could totally be off base

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sorry if it's been discussed before, but what are the chances that the reason CP7 is taking this long to be revealed is because they want CP8 ready as well for a double reveal, like they did with Hero and B-K (and earlier than that, with Corrin and Bayonetta)? Depeding on how niche CP7 is, it would certainly explain the wait.
Tbf, it's not been that long of a wait. Min Min came out only two months ago.

I also think those two reveals having two fighters had more to do with how big their announcement event was and less to do with niche-ness but that's just me.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Play more games/do your backlog" and "I wish Nintendo would give us stuff to look forward to" are both statements that can co-exist and still hold true.

Nintendo can and really should be doing better with letting us know what's in the pipeline but y'all can also explore your backlogs and look for games you might have originally missed out on. There's plenty of SNK games on the eShop if Terry got you interested, God Eater 3 is a great alternative to Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 is still a fantastic title. Maybe look into some Indies like Bloodstained or Goose Game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I subscribe to the theory of FPs worked on in threes. By this time FP7 has to be 97% done, and FP8 at least 75% done (at least having a full trailer ready)

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
"Play more games/do your backlog" and "I wish Nintendo would give us stuff to look forward to" are both statements that can co-exist and still hold true.

Nintendo can and really should be doing better with letting us know what's in the pipeline but y'all can also explore your backlogs and look for games you might have originally missed out on. There's plenty of SNK games on the eShop if Terry got you interested, God Eater 3 is a great alternative to Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 is still a fantastic title. Maybe look into some Indies like Bloodstained or Goose Game.
This is about where I'm at right now, because I do wish Nintendo was able to do a bit more, but at the same time they've also done a lot in the past few years alone so I'm satisfied, but maybe not completely? Idk! Mixed feelings are confusing.

Let me pose a question. Now that we've all been given the time to play games we couldn't get to, have any of you guys played Mother 3? Considered it? Not interested? I'd really love to hear Mother 3 opinions! :p

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I don't think a double reveal is very likely. Banjo and Hero were the least niche characters in FP1. I think they did a double reveal because Banjo would have disappointed eastern fans, and Hero would have disappointed western fans. I feel like this approach only makes sense in the context of E3. Since E3 was cancelled, they currently do not have incentive to do a double reveal. After all, Terry didn't get revealed alongside Byleth. They revealed him completely separately, and he's a character mainly loved by South America.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think a double reveal is very likely. Banjo and Hero were the least niche characters in FP1. I think they did a double reveal because Banjo would have disappointed eastern fans, and Hero would have disappointed western fans. I feel like this approach only makes sense in the context of E3. Since E3 was cancelled, they currently do not have incentive to do a double reveal. After all, Terry didn't get revealed alongside Byleth. They revealed him completely separately, and he's a character mainly loved by South America.
Actually, apparently the Japanese were pretty happy about Banjo. I think Nintendojust wanted to take advantage of E3 to get people on board with the entire pass using their two biggest characters. Joker was a modern success and completely unexpected, so he went first. On the other hand, Terry was more niche and Byleth wasn't even out when the pass was planned, so they went last. It's a business thing to get passes sold more than anything.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A smaller team is part of the reason why I think it's taking so long. Sakurai was given roughly a year and three months for the first pass which was five characters. He's been given almost two years for the second pass, even though it's just one more character than the first.

And this was before COVID mind you.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf, it's not been that long of a wait. Min Min came out only two months ago.

I also think those two reveals having two fighters had more to do with how big their announcement event was and less to do with niche-ness but that's just me.
Yeah I don't think we'll see a double reveal unless there's an E3 next year. There's not really much reason to, and I certainly don't think they'd hold onto a completed fighter until the next one is also done. It just sounds like a silly thing to do when you could alternatively just have the fighters release at a steady pace.

And yeah, while it's about time for the next reveal, that's just it: about time. I suppose two months can be an eternity if you're incredibly invested in who's next, but the wait time hasn't even dipped a toe into abnormal territory. I'm pretty confident we'll know soon, early October at the absolute latest.

Let me pose a question. Now that we've all been given the time to play games we couldn't get to, have any of you guys played Mother 3? Considered it? Not interested? I'd really love to hear Mother 3 opinions!
I would love to but there unfortunately isn't a legal way of playing it unless you live in Japan.

EDIT: And also probably have a lot of money, and also can read Japanese.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I don't think Banjo is really that niche. Certainly not to the point that they felt they needed to reveal a big name alongside him. I would estimate a majority of people playing Smash have at least heard of him. So I don't think the double reveal was to cover up "nicheness". I wouldn't expect a double reveal for the next two characters either; that just seems like clinging onto E3 precedent in a non-E3 year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
just don't be a fan and play other games then

View attachment 283749
I've only played one new game on the Switch this year, everything else has been on the PS4... but I like Nintendo the most and miss seeing new games from them. By my count there's only been three completely new, full titles revealed from them in the past calendar year. At least, three in my region.

And two of them are spin-offs.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've been playing stuff for sure. Persona 4 steam, Crosscode, Fall Guys the ultimate bean griefing game, and even Super Smash Flash 2 because why the hell not.

Nintendo is my favorite gaming company who has some of my favorite franchises though, so even if I'm having no issue keeping myself occupied, their total lack of news or transparency is still pretty disappointing and concerning

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll probably spend the rest of the year alternating between Three Houses and the BioShock Collection, and if I manage to get through those I still have a huge backlog.

I'd still like to see Nintendo announce some new games though, videogames are cool, I like to know more exist. Sony's been doing a great job with that and Microsoft has also tried, I wanna see what Nintendo can counter them with (or at least be reminded that they have BotW2, Prime 4, Bayo 3, etc all on the docket).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom