• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

puts on tinfoil hat

I have an idea to propose. Direct seems to be before the end of August, right? August pretty much ends this week. We get a spirit event today: Paper Mario, 3 brand new spirits. A Mario RPG spirit event. Seems almost too perfect for a Geno reveal in a direct this week, right? Didn't something happen with a spirit event right before Byleth was announced?

Idk guys, as pessimistic as this thread can be about Geno, I wouldn't be too surprised, especially since Geno also fits the criteria of the "new worlds" theory.
Even if Geno does get in, it probably has nothing to do with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Does anyone here think there's a chance for a Fighter's Pass 3?
I think there's a chance for it. However, it is a pretty low chance. They've implied a couple times that FP2 will be the last, though I don't think they've outright stated such. Probably keeping the possibility of more CPs open, but I'm expecting CP11 to be the last.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah...

I’m calling nothing on 8/28. And probably nothing in September or October. Or until after Christmas.

Prove me wrong, Sakurai, and make me eat my blasphemous words. If you were half the mashpotato samurai that they make you out to be; you would deliver and deliver it tenfold.

In seriousness, I’m not expecting anything noteworthy on 8/28. A small portion of me is expecting, if anything, a Partner Presentation Part 2 or Tencent x Pokémon the Movie.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Does anyone here think there's a chance for a Fighter's Pass 3?
I feel like that would be DLC overstaying its welcome, the hype for Fighter Pass 2 is kinda tepid as is already (though the lack of information right now is likely a contributing factor). The second pass is estimated to be done by the end of 2021, so we still have a year. To get yet another round after that, whew, I dunno.

Also, Sakurai deserves rest.

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
Okay so.

If this direct really is Friday, when do you expect it to be announced?
I took a look through NoA's Twitter just now for previous Direct announcements. I only included actual general Directs and excluded E3 ones.

9/4/19 (Wed) was announced on 9/3 7:00AM PST
2/13/19 (Wed) was announced on 2/12 6:00AM PST
9/6/18 (Thur) was announced 9/5 10:00AM PST (This was later rescheduled to 9/13/18 due to the earthquake, but it was still announced a day before on 9/12 7:00AM PST)
3/7/18 (Wed) was announced 3/6 6:00AM PST

The last general Direct that was announced more than a day before was the September 13th 2017 Direct.

Basically, seems since 2018, we've typically gotten an announcement the morning before a general Direct, which makes me wonder why some people are getting the notion (not here, I think it's Youtube) that it needs to be announced two days before or else it'll be a mini.

So TLDR: Thursday morning between 6:00-10:00am PST.

It is true we never got a general Direct on a Friday though...assuming it's Japan's time, then we could get an announcement tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards Thursday.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Basically, seems since 2018, we've typically gotten an announcement the morning before a general Direct, which makes me wonder why some people are getting the notion (not here, I think it's Youtube) that it needs to be announced two days before or else it'll be a mini.

So TLDR: Thursday morning between 6:00-10:00am PST.
THANK YOU for saying this I was just about to make a post about that x)
I always thought general directs were announced the day prior to their release so it is weird everyone here seems to believe they are announced two days in advance...
Even Nate specified that if the direct was general it'd be announced on Thursday.
However if the direct happened to be a Mario 35th anniversary focused one then the announcement would be today (for Friday) since themed Directs are announced two days before airing (see -> Animal Crossing Direct for example)

I'm super late for the BotW2 talk, just wanted to share some thoughts about it anyway...

Someone brought the idea that people wouldn't be interested in a 4th Link, a 3rd Zelda or a 2nd Ganon (i think it was Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen ). I also think that a lot of people would be underwhelmed but there's also one simple thing to consider: it's Zelda. I mean, they could add a fricking Bokoblin in Smash and i'm convinced that more than enough people would still pay 5.99 for it (the Bokoblin example is an hyperbole but my point is, while it may not be the most popular choice here, i'm pretty sure that a BotW2 character would sell well even if it's another version of Link, Zelda or Ganon).

Again, i understand that some people would prefer a non triforce user (personally i'd prefer if they'd continue to add characters from new series/worlds, i'm also totally satisfied with the Zelda content we currently have in Smash) but i think it's worth pointing out that, among the triforce users, a 2nd Ganon is basically the only realistic possibility as of now (and still, we don't know **** about the game so even saying that is a long shot). BotW2 Link is technically already in Smash and Sakurai said, at some point, that he didn't add BotW Zelda to the base game because she's not really a fighter, more of a scholar (or something like that i don't remember the exact quote, point is, he already considered adding her but he didn't for some reason). So unless there's some major changes to their characters i think it's safe to say that BotW2 Link and Zelda are extremely unlikely.

But yeah, tbh i think it's still pretty early to speculate on a potential BotW2 rep in Smash since we don't even know if it'll be released by the time Smash DLC ends, it'll be much easier once we get at least some kind release date and/or more info about the game (on the characters basically). That said, i have absolutely no problem with people who want to take some shots in the dark and throw in some crazy ideas but imo there's pretty much nothing solid enough to base any kind of 'case' for (or against) the possibility of a BotW2 character right now (other than the specific cases of Link and Zelda like i mentioned).

Usually 3d Zelda games take a pretty long time to make so like i said, it's entirely possible that BotW2 won't be ready by the end of 2021 or, on the other hand, it's also reasonable to assume that it could be some kind of Majora's Mask situation where they're reusing the engine and/or a bunch of assets from the previous game, cutting the development time by quite a bit. We just don't know yet.

Hopefully we'll learn more soon... maybe in the next direct... maybe friday... a fully fledged trailer would be so nice...

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
i think it's safe to say that BotW2 Link and Zelda are extremely unlikely.
I agree on Link. Zelda, however, depends on how they implement her. There are a lot of rumors about co-op and playable Zelda going around. Of particular note is that her hair was short in the BotW2 teaser, which would be far easier to work with if they give her the clothing and armor options Link has. She could also be playable and still not much of a fighter. That could still translate to Smash depending on the abilities she's given. Villager, Isabelle, and Wii Fit are examples of characters who work in Smash despite having no combat skills in their games. It is worth keeping in mind that we still have a year and change until FP2 wraps up, assuming they don't delay FP2. That is a long time, and BotW2 could release within that time. We'll see

I agree on Link. Zelda, however, depends on how they implement her. There are a lot of rumors about co-op and playable Zelda going around. Of particular note is that her hair was short in the BotW2 teaser, which would be far easier to work with if they give her the clothing and armor options Link has. She could also be playable and still not much of a fighter. That could still translate to Smash depending on the abilities she's given. Villager, Isabelle, and Wii Fit are examples of characters who work in Smash despite having no combat skills in their games. It is worth keeping in mind that we still have a year and change until FP2 wraps up, assuming they don't delay FP2. That is a long time, and BotW2 could release within that time. We'll see
Good points. I also don't think that 'she's not a fighter' is a very good justification (c'mon Sakurai you can do better than this :p).

But yeah, I've heard the 'rumors' about Zelda being playable in BotW2 based on her having shorter hair in the teaser, i think it's a bit of a stretch tbh.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since Paper Mario is dead (both figuratively and literally), this leaves us with two prime candidates for a Mario DLC character, Waluigi and Geno. This spirit event reminds me a bit of the Astral Chain one we had a few days before Byleth's reveal. A sudden spirit event that kills what seemed like a likely candidate a few days before the next character's reveal. My heart wants it to be Waluigi......but deep down I know it's Geno. Grubb ****posting about him recently kinda made me realize it's him.

D

Deleted member

So, considering the fact the rumored 28th Direct is heading towards us fast, what kind of stuff are you hoping for from it?(assuming it's a direct at all and not a partner showcase of course)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, considering the fact the rumored 28th Direct is heading towards us fast, what kind of stuff are you hoping for from it?(assuming it's a direct at all and not a partner showcase of course)
Honestly all I'm realistically hoping for is Smash and NMHIII. Anything else is wishful thinking

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, this sure strengthens the possibility of the upcoming Direct being a Mini
Won't mind personally if it turns out to be a Mini. Of course, might not expect a 30 minute Mini, but hey, at least more signs of life.

I'm not going to be picky, but at least some news on say BOTW2 would be nice (even if it seems kinda unlikely). Likewise, any sign of strong third party support beyond say NMH3 and Bayo 3 would be nice to see. I know I'm talking in the most general of terms here, but the announced lineup is not exactly huge either.

As for FP7, would like to see it unveiled sooner rather than later (that is, at the 28th), but not terribly fussed if it's revealed later personally.

D

Deleted member

FP7
The Super Mario 3D collection
No More Heroes 3
I have other hopes but I think these 3 are the most likely to happen.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Since Paper Mario is dead (both figuratively and literally), this leaves us with two prime candidates for a Mario DLC character, Waluigi and Geno. This spirit event reminds me a bit of the Astral Chain one we had a few days before Byleth's reveal. A sudden spirit event that kills what seemed like a likely candidate a few days before the next character's reveal. My heart wants it to be Waluigi......but deep down I know it's Geno. Grubb ****posting about him recently kinda made me realize it's him.
Im pretty sure Grubb has said multiple times that he just really likes smrpg which is why he tweets about the game and geno. Like i think geno is super likely but grubb doesnt really have anything to do with it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another Spirit event, another day of questioning the lack of a PMD spirit event.View attachment 283488
There's no good reason for it's absence... unless they're coming with a fighter.
Sadly there is a reason for it's absence, Game Freak.
In spite of every Mario Spin-off and spirits from the Capcom Developed Zelda games being in Smash, the only Pokemon spin-off things in Smash are ones that the main Pokemon devs had a hand is, with an outlier from the HAL developed Pokemon SNAP.

I have no idea why they enforce it so but it's a business decision we have to deal with, sadly.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My expectations: TimeSplitters trilogy, F-Zero and Pokemon XD remake.
Reality: Expect nothing and be disappointed anyway.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The seventh Challenger Pack for Smash, some kind of Microsoft collaboration (whether it's Rare Replay, the Master Chief Collection, or Ori and the Will of the Wisps), and literally any footage of Bayonetta 3. (I'll even take screenshots at this point, or a five second teaser of Bayonetta's new appearance)

Also, a release date for the Switch versions of Doom Eternal and Rivals of Aether. (and No More Heroes 3, assuming that it's releasing this year)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Prove me wrong, Sakurai, and make me eat my blasphemous words. If you were half the mashpotato samurai that they make you out to be; you would deliver and deliver it tenfold.
Unfortunately for you, that's incredibly easy for him to do: 10 * 0 = 0

Alright so if Paper Mario has been dis-confirmed then a Pokemon from Gen 8 should have been out of the running ages ago. If not then Paper Mario is not dis-confirmed.
Not necessarily. Pokémon is one of Nintendo's biggest series (no Paper Mario in particular is not one of them. If it was then they'd allow creativity) so the extra advertising would make sense, especially with the upcoming DLC. It's also 1st party so you don't have to negotiate rights just to negotiate rights again. There's also the fact that none of the realistic candidates are Spirits, and the game itself doesn't have very many Spirits in general.

Meanwhile Paper Mario is more of a B-list franchise who's game is about a month old already and who's main cast got Spirited. They ain't the DLC character.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Smash character #77
Mario 3D Collection
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Breath of the Wild 2 Trailer
Bayonetta 3 Trailer

Pipe Dreams:
A new Donkey Kong Country (or even better a 3D platformer DK)
Super Mario Odyssey 2
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Smash character #78 alongside #77

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wonder, maybe the rumored direct is link to Gamescom somehow? I mean, insider have hint that there will be first and third party games but Nate said that the format isn't our traditionnal Nintendo direct. Gamescom's around the corner so maybe Nintendo decided to do something this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom