• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think we should change topics now...

Speaking of dead franchises, what do you guys want to see come back? Apparently, there are rumors of one being announced next Direct, but that's assuming the next Direct is a thing.

This. Eveything Sonic's been pumping out has been pretty stellar recently, it's just that Forces had an unfortunate set of circumstances surrounding it: It was a game made by a small team of developers completely new to the series with only a year to get something out after focusing 2 years of development on an engine. It was a recipe for disaster. I feel hopeful for whatever comes next, though. I think Forces had excellent ideas behind it, it just needs good level design and more time put into it. I'm excited to see what Sonic Team does next, honestly.

Anyways, I guess some of this stuff might be starting to veer off topic, soooooo...Since we're already talking about Sonic, who would y'all want if we ever got another Sonic character on the roster? I'd give my vote Blaze, Eggman, Shadow, or Amy. I think any one of those four could bring something unique, interesting, and fun to the table.
I'm fine with most characters. Shadow was one of my first most-wanted characters back when I first hopped on the speculation train, but I've expanded to pretty much anyone now. That being said, the IDW comics have promoted Silver to best boy as of late.
Out of all of them, I think Eggman is the most likely, on the basis that he has the most to pull from for his Spirit Board, via Badniks and boss fights.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Anyways, I guess some of this stuff might be starting to veer off topic, soooooo...Since we're already talking about Sonic, who would y'all want if we ever got another Sonic character on the roster? I'd give my vote Blaze, Eggman, Shadow, or Amy. I think any one of those four could bring something unique, interesting, and fun to the table.
I know it's the most uncreative choice, but Tails. He's the best Sonic character!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Speaking of dead franchises, what do you guys want to see come back? Apparently, there are rumors of one being announced next Direct, but that's assuming the next Direct is a thing.
My number one choice would be F-zero, but I also wish that Jet set radio and Samba de amigo could come back. It seems that Sega is interested to bring back old franchises recently so maybe one day they will have their chance. Also not Nintendo direct related because Playstation but I would like to see Ape escape and Twisted metal come back. With the popularity of Battle royale, I think a modern Twisted metal have a lot of potential.

SKX31

Smash Master
As far as dead franchises, I'd love for Nintendo to bring back all the Mario sports series that aren't Tennis. Even with online services that appear to be largely based on tin can and string technology, there's fun and money to be had by a return of Mario Golf, Strikers, Sluggers, etc utilizing online play.

Heck a Mario Golf game where you can create and share courses (even mini-golf ones) online to other players. There's easy money right there.
Yeah, honestly - there's a lot of untapped potential there, and there's a lot of potential to do a more customizable Strikers or Sluggers too. Never played the Golf games, but they could benefit not just from a stage creator but also something like club customization to help accomondate the stage creator.

As far as the online - it is a shame. It never appears to have been Nintendo's priority though either - systems like the Friend Code have frustrated many, and it's a missed opportunity to extend games' lifespans for very long time. Valve and Riot in particular have largely mastered that art (albeit Nintendo's getting there with Splatoon to its credit).

Ultimate's online does improve on Smash 4's in some areas (Smash 4's was limited in some areas, For Glory and Team Matches especially), but it took two steps back too and the steps forward felt too much like baby steps. No switching characters in a rematch is one of the biggest drawbacks IMHO* since GSP is too tied to the character. (It doesn't help that GSP is often a very vague and borderline-meaningless number, but that's an other issue.)

*(Edit: Crud, forgot about Preferred Rules being automatically ignored sometimes without warning and no connection indicators at all. Those are really bad too.)

I'm fine with most characters, but lean towards Tails and Eggman. Tails could easily work with the flight as the main separating point and gadgets to differentiate him from Sonic, and Eggman's got a lot of different weapons that could be intriguing. He does have a normal-sized walker in Sonic the Fighters, so that's a good base to go from.

Of course, I'm a staunch proponent of reworking :ultsonic: too. His current design is not fun to fight against (especially not when behind, since he can then play a more campy style), and he could certainly use some of the abilities he got in the games. Reworking some of the ball moves could be a way to go.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm still staunch in my view that Tails should be the next character if Sonic ever got more in Smash. He has a legacy that Sega still respects (Even if that comes with the caveat of making him a wimp in games like Sonic Forces) by including him with a good amount of speaking roles even in games where only Sonic is playable.

Given again, he's who they use at the very end of the movie as the stinger for the sequel hook

In a game that's already included Ryu's best buddy in Ken, and it's make a duo that matches well with some of the 1st party pairs/sidekicks/teammates from Mario/Luigi, Fox/Falco, Donkey Kong/Diddy. It's just a natural fit.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Of course, I'm a staunch proponent of reworking :ultsonic: too. His current design is not fun to fight against (especially not when behind, since he can then play a more campy style), and he could certainly use some of the abilities he got in the games. Reworking some of the ball moves could be a way to go.
Oddly enough, Sonic's current design is kind of how he's portrayed in media; He dodges his opponent's lasers and stuff, then rushes in to hit them. This is also how boss fights work (though this flow isn't unique to hte Sonic the Hedghog series). He should probably keep some form of his hit and run playstyle, but with a lot more aggression than before. Something to emulate this state of flow the games seem to have when you're going full speed.

At least, that's the impression I get from surface level knowledge + having played Sonic Mania.

He has a legacy that Sega still respects (Even if that comes with the caveat of making him a wimp in games like Sonic Forces) by including him with a good amount of speaking roles even in games where only Sonic is playable.
I wouldn't say that's respect exactly. Acknowledgement sure, but respect? Eeeeeeeeeh...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm pretty impartial to a specific Sonic character I'd be happy if we get another one, my only requests are: Bring back Sonic Rush music, Add What I'm Made of, and Make the Stage Space Colony ARK

I'd rather have a million other SEGA reps though like Sakura and Kiryu

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I have to ask though

Do you guys personally think Another Sonic Character has a shot as a DLC fighter in FP2? Do you think the Kids would love it? I'm not asking if they are the most likely characters, just that if they have a shot, and what are some potential pitfalls

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I have to ask though

Do you guys personally think Another Sonic Character has a shot as a DLC fighter in FP2? Do you think the Kids would love it?
Then I have to answer

No. Depends on the kid.

EDIT: I'm sure most kids with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would likely be affluent at worst. The ones that would hate Shadow would mostly be the ones with the "ew cartoons are for babies" mentality, though I doubt many of them would have the game or a Switch.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Then I have to answer

No. Depends on the kid.
I Only ask the Kid thing because I know the Kids love Sonic. Also I read a Amazon Review on FP2, and it was a Mom saying the Kid would be hyped for Goku and Shadow the Hedgehog. Coincidentally both those characters are my Most wanted, but I swear I did not make that post

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

I for one, would like to see Star Gladiator make a return even if it has been over 20 years since the release of Plasma Sword.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have to ask though

Do you guys personally think Another Sonic Character has a shot as a DLC fighter in FP2? Do you think the Kids would love it? I'm not asking if they are the most likely characters, just that if they have a shot, and what are some potential pitfalls
Nope. If Shadow can't even get in as an echo for base game, I very much doubt the prospect of any company, even Sonic with its long-standing Smash support, would ever get a second unique character. Kids I think would love it, but they also would love Spongebob and Fortnite Jonesy, so I don't put much stock in that kind of thinking.

As for my personal opinion, the only reason I'm kinda against another Sonic character isn't because I dislike Sonic, but rather I would much rather Nintendo shine a spotlight on other Sega owned properties. Also helps my most wanted is from a subsidiary of Sega's.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I have to ask though

Do you guys personally think Another Sonic Character has a shot as a DLC fighter in FP2?
No. Only possibility in my mind is if Echoes are put back on the table on DLC and they include Shadow then (As much as I know the thought of him being an echo annoys you). A 2nd Sonic character and probably any non-echo character from a 3rd party franchise (Ex: Chun-Li, Proto Man, another Final Fantasy protagonist, etc.) is going to have to wait for it's chance in the next game. However long it will be until that happens.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have to ask though

I do think there's a shot.

As for the kids question, I guess it depends on the age and the character. I guess younger kids will be stoked with anyone, then you get the ones who prefer "cool" characters like Shadow over the likes of Tails, and the oldest group is probably gonna think Sonic is lame.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Acutally though, Considering Geno is owned by Square, wouldn't he pretty much be a "3rd Party unique character to a Represented Franchise"

Like I get he's a Mario Character at heart, but the Legalities doesn't care about that. Despite that, he's still considered a Likely character for some, or at has a Genuine shot as a character. I'm just saying

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Acutally though, Considering Geno is owned by Square, wouldn't he pretty much be a "3rd Party unique character to a Represented Franchise"

Like I get he's a Mario Character at heart, but the Legalities doesn't care about that. Despite that, he's still considered a Likely character for some, or at has a Genuine shot as a character. I'm just saying
Yeah, he's a third party Super Mario character.

I think the reason why people don't think we'll get a second character from anywhere is that Nintendo won't want to appeal to the same specific subset of fans twice. Fortunately and unfortunately for Geno, it ain't the Super Mario fans that he appeals to.

SKX31

Smash Master
Oddly enough, Sonic's current design is kind of how he's portrayed in media; He dodges his opponent's lasers and stuff, then rushes in to hit them. This is also how boss fights work (though this flow isn't unique to hte Sonic the Hedghog series). He should probably keep some form of his hit and run playstyle, but with a lot more aggression than before. Something to emulate this state of flow the games seem to have when you're going full speed.
Yeah, puretty much. I do agree that he could keep some of his hit and run. That said: redesigning some of his ball moves into something else (like a more risky Boost from the modern games or a likewise risky Lightspeed Dash from the Adventure games replacing his current Side B) could help with that. The ball moves' ambiguity allow a Sonic to safely fake out approaches or switch to homing attack on a dime, which reinforces the campy playstyle.

Still, it is seen as a major problem (and I also think it's a major problem) - especially online, where the opponent has to react on a dime because of the lag. A Sonic main wins an online tournament? The Like / Dislike ratio's 375 Likes and 419 Dislikes. The same Sonic main loses in another Grand Finals? Instantly 455 Likes and 28 Dislikes. And the person Sonix lost to was BestNess. This is not meant to rag on Sonix - the character's playstyle is currently seen as that bad.

I have to ask though

Not a big one, but it exists. Depends heavily on if Nintendo themselves are open to including a side character / villain in FP2. The big hurdle (IMHO) is that SEGA has other protagonists that appeals to other series' fans.

As far as kids - besides what GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 said (and I pretty much agree with him there): it would depend somewhat on the moveset too. Younger kids can have different opinions - like some preferring big and powerful attacks, other prefering flow (as in how well a character controls), and others preferring something like a color scheme. Or something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/i10kej
(Damnit, the video's kinda obscured since it's vertical. Still, point made.)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
as for the other Responses

No. Only possibility in my mind is if Echoes are put back on the table on DLC and they include Shadow then (As much as I know the thought of him being an echo annoys you). A 2nd Sonic character and probably any non-echo character from a 3rd party franchise (Ex: Chun-Li, Proto Man, another Final Fantasy protagonist, etc.) is going to have to wait for it's chance in the next game. However long it will be until that happens.
I Mean, I don't have much to say honestly. It's just a matter of opinion. Even I'm wary of a unique character from already represented Franchise. I do think sonic has the leg up to get one, but it just depends and such

Nope. If Shadow can't even get in as an echo for base game, I very much doubt the prospect of any company, even Sonic with its long-standing Smash support, would ever get a second unique character. Kids I think would love it, but they also would love Spongebob and Fortnite Jonesy, so I don't put much stock in that kind of thinking.

As for my personal opinion, the only reason I'm kinda against another Sonic character isn't because I dislike Sonic, but rather I would much rather Nintendo shine a spotlight on other Sega owned properties. Also helps my most wanted is from a subsidiary of Sega's.
but the Kids matter though. I mean I do say that most of the characters in FP1 were more geared towards Teens or Adults. Banjo is the only character I'd say really appeals to Kids. Maybe Hero too because He looks like Goku. that's just me though, it depends on the kids

As for no Sonic Echo in base game, Like I say, I was spreading the message during base game speculation that Shadow wouldn't be added as an echo because that's just not the way. Now I was wrong on him being a unique charcater on Base roster, but My message could still be complete...In DLC

Yeah, puretty much. I do agree that he could keep some of his hit and run. That said: redesigning some of his ball moves into something else (like a more risky Boost from the modern games or a likewise risky Lightspeed Dash from the Adventure games replacing his current Side B) could help with that. The ball moves' ambiguity allow a Sonic to safely fake out approaches or switch to homing attack on a dime, which reinforces the campy playstyle.

Still, it is seen as a major problem (and I also think it's a major problem) - especially online, where the opponent has to react on a dime because of the lag. A Sonic main wins an online tournament? The Like / Dislike ratio's 375 Likes and 419 Dislikes. The same Sonic main loses in another Grand Finals? Instantly 455 Likes and 28 Dislikes. And the person Sonix lost to was BestNess. This is not meant to rag on Sonix - the character's playstyle is currently seen as that bad.

Not a big one, but it exists. Depends heavily on if Nintendo themselves are open to including a side character / villain in FP2. The big hurdle (IMHO) is that SEGA has other protagonists that appeals to other series' fans.

As far as kids - besides what GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 said (and I pretty much agree with him there): it would depend somewhat on the moveset too. Younger kids can have different opinions - like some preferring big and powerful attacks, other prefering flow, and others preferring something like a color scheme. Or something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/i10kej

(Damnit, the video's kinda obscured since it's vertical. Still, point made.)
Yeah I know there's other Sega Characters like Arle (Especially), Kazuma Kiryu, Axel (but I don't think he has a shot), and Sakura. but I mean, It's Sonic. there maybe hurdles, but Sonic can just go through that Hurdle with Speed

and I think the moveset thing is covered pretty well. Like I've been Saying, NO BIAS, Shadow would be one of the most unique characters in the game, and he would have Swag. If you give him a Taunt that summons guns, The Kids would love that, The people would love that. It's just that simple. It's all about if he can be a Priority to Nintendo.

And I think at the same time Shadow would be the Redesign Sonic would need honestly, Kind of. I don't know if Shadow would have as much hit and running, but I know he would be the aggressive character people wanted Sonic to be. Plus he could utilize moves Sonic doesn't use like Boost, Light Speed Dash, and Black tornado, while at the same having his Chaos Powers, teleporting everywhere, doing DBZ Like combos. I guess Sonic would look lame in comparison, but that's what Shadow does alot of the time

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh by the way, if we get a Spirit Event today, does that mean we are likely to get a reveal?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was referring to his moveset on a macro scale, but I totally agree that one of the spin moves needs to go. There's literally no reason for them both to exist in the same moveset. They could even make them the same move. Hold to charge? You get Spin Dash. Tap to charge? You get Spin Charge.

Then you could change the move from a camping tool to a movement option. Make it almost like a wavedash so he can use it to zip around the stage in a way that he couldn't with just running (but also not in a way that's so elusive it's basically just another form of camping). It could make his combo paths really interesting too. Oh man it'd be so much fun to watch and play if Sonic had some combos that looked like a Ragnarok style super move.

Oh yeah, as for his other moves...I dunno what they would be. I just know that the moveset is stuck in one era, and it would be great if it were to branch out.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Alright, discussion starter: Is there anyone you've heard about and want to know more of, but don't know too much about them?
This is more about wanting to play their games rather than learning about them but let’s go:

Geno/Super Mario RPG, Lloyd & Yuri/Tales series, Sakura/Sakura Wars & Kiryu/Yakuza.

As for characters that are in the game I really need to atone my sins of not playing a Pokemon or Mother game. Going to start with Pokemon Red & Earthbound for those two.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

F-Zero, Golden Sun, and a NOT crappy Star Fox

uhhh maybe KI:U HD and EarthBound Trilogy too

Alright, discussion starter: Is there anyone you've heard about and want to know more of, but don't know too much about them?
Rean and Estelle - for the latter I've started a stream series of Trials in the Sky on my Twitch, but haven;t been able to continue due to time and other factors and would still like to know what makes them stand out

also uhhhh Hat Kid

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
but the Kids matter though. I mean I do say that most of the characters in FP1 were more geared towards Teens or Adults. Banjo is the only character I'd say really appeals to Kids. Maybe Hero too because He looks like Goku. that's just me though, it depends on the kids

As for no Sonic Echo in base game, Like I say, I was spreading the message during base game speculation that Shadow wouldn't be added as an echo because that's just not the way. Now I was wrong on him being a unique charcater on Base roster, but My message could still be complete...In DLC
Banjo is a character from people's childhoods 22 years ago. I would hardly count that character as an appeal for kids today.
Dragon Quest as well is a massively historic franchise which appeals more to grumpy salarymen than it does to children in grade school today. It has nothing to do with him looking like Goku, and that line of logic is honestly ridiculous beyond words.
I doubt you are going to get anywhere with thinking "kids will like it" when that logic could apply to just about any videogame character that isn't rated M.

Honestly your second paragraph isn't even making sense anymore so I'm opting to ignore most of it. Shadow was already unlikely for the base roster, Shadow (and any other Sonic character) is nigh impossible as DLC.
(At least that's what I think)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

7NATOR

Smash Master
Banjo is a character from people's childhoods 22 years ago. I would hardly count that character as an appeal for kids today. Dragon Quest as well is a massively historic franchise which appeals more to grumpy salarymen than it does to children in grade school today. It has nothing to do with him looking like Goku, and that line of logic is honestly ridiculous beyond words.
I doubt you are going to get anywhere with thinking "kids will like it" when that logic could apply to just about any videogame character that isn't rated M. ignoring the fact Shadow's game was M.

Honestly your second paragraph isn't even making sense anymore so I'm opting to ignore most of it. Shadow was unlikely for the base roster, Shadow (and any other Sonic character) is nigh impossible as DLC.

(At least that's what I think)
Shadow's game was rated E-10 I believe, they couldn't even get a Teen Rating.

You know, Smashfaqs has told me to Stop being so Sure about Shadow being DLC in FP2. I'm trying to tone that down and not be so sure, however seeing as you Said Shadow (and any other Sonic character) is Nigh Impossible as DLC, I must Flex my confidence

Honestly, I'm thinking Shadow will be DLC. Now I actually don't have any current evidence that's not Conspiracy Level. you just have my word on this one. Like yeah Shadow is an Assist, and he does come from an already represented Franchise, but that doesn't automatically kill character's chances. I mean Sonic is very big.

It's kinda like how People throw out Scorpion because of the Japan thing (I used to do it too), but there are other merits. There are factors in the backroom. Yeah we can't really speculate too much about that since we're not in the room, but That's all I say. I will Die on this board still claiming Shadow is In guys. If he makes it in, Just know that I was keeping my word

Is Raidou your most wanted or s it Demi-Fiend?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Banjo is a character from people's childhoods 22 years ago. I would hardly count that character as an appeal for kids today. Dragon Quest as well is a massively historic franchise which appeals more to grumpy salarymen than it does to children in grade school today. It has nothing to do with him looking like Goku, and that line of logic is honestly ridiculous beyond words.

I doubt you are going to get anywhere with thinking "kids will like it" when that label could apply to just about any videogame character that isn't rated M... ignoring the fact Shadow's game was M.

Honestly your second paragraph isn't even making sense anymore so I'm opting to ignore most of it. Shadow was unlikely for the base roster, Shadow (and any other Sonic character) is nigh impossible as DLC.
Banjo & Kazooie may not be recognizable to today's youth but to say that they don't appeal to them is a bit strange. Same with Dragon Quest, especially in Japan. Though I suppose judging by your next statement this isn't quite what you meant.

On that note, I'd argue that a rated M character would appeal to kids as well. As long as they appeal to a kid's tastes (whether they like cute things or cool things or what have you) they're gonna like it.

I think the difference between kids and adults is that they're easier to please when it comes to the picks. Not saying that none of them get their heart set on something specific, but they can be more open to whoever gets chosen since there's not as much...brand loyalty for lack of a better term. If it is something they're familiar with though, they're just as if not more excited than an adult is. So really, there's not much difference, and if anything, they're more likely to like something than an adult is.

If we're to go by a recent tweet by the series' front-runner, there doesn't seem to be any down the pipeline anytime soon

It's dead, Jim
Oh I know that. It wouldn't happen, and we probably wouldn't get a new game in the series ever, but in the hypothetical situation in which we got one this or next year it would mean the series was still alive and thus, it's not an actual revival. Ya feel me?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sol Badguy and Kiryu Kazuma. The latter because I'm stuck with Majima and his Munancho hustle.

Kiryu is a guy that can learn some special abilities by recording stupid and crazy **** that happens around him and then he goes and posts about it in his personal blog because he's trying to be in touch with the times.

In the other side, Guilty Gear doesn't really has much meme/funny videos potential as Yakuza, but someone could tell you that buying a Guilty Gear game is just purchasing a full album of rock/metal bangers songs, inspired by multiple classic artists and groups because the director of the series is obsessed with bands like Queen (Sol Badguy is a walking Queen reference). The game itself is just a bonus gift that comes with the music, so you can play while listening to the music.

Well, there's also this video about GG, which has 1M views and is certainly funny, and shows who's the true waifu of the series.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have to ask though

Not really. I think if we’re getting another Sega character it’s going to be Kiryu from Yakuza. That’s easy money. Anyone who was going to be excited for another Sonic character already has Smash at this point though the same can’t be said about Yakuza. And on the flip side there are WAY too few people here who have played a Yakuza and those who haven’t are missing out on so much.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m definitely down for another Sonic character. It’s really deserved & I think they could be fun. Dr Eggman, Tails & Knuckles would be my picks.

Eggman’s one of the most iconic video game villains. Arguably the second most iconic after Bowser, though I could see arguments for Sephiroth too. I feel he’d have the most unique moveset of the other Sonic characters. As well as a super fun personality.

Tails should get in for the reasons SonicMario said. A Sonic/Tails vs Mario/Luigi matchup is something that probably should’ve happened already tbh.

As for Knuckles, I don’t really have a reason besides him being my favorite Sonic character. I guess his deuteragonist role in Sonic & Knuckles would be a reason for him being picked. I just think he’s cool & would be fun af.

I’m not a Shadow fan. I’ve always thought he was really lame & I’ve never understood why he’s so much more popular than Eggman/Tails/Knuckles. I guess it hurts that I didn’t like the Adventure games at all which is where he shines for most people.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have to ask though

Considering the development hell that Big Red Button went through and all the changes they made to Sonic for Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric only for Sega to bin them, I'd say no. Sega seems to be very strict with how Sonic is handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom