• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Oh, and as for Sega discussion?

They're fine in my book. They're making good games and I'm enjoyin' 'em, so can't say I personally got any problems with them. Wish 3D Sonic could get it's act together a little better, but Mania, IDW comics, the Movie, and the social media presence are all rad in my book, so even that side of Sega's looking pretty good to me.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To be fair, I've only played the first area of Monster Hunter Tri, and a bit of the second area. I know that there's more to Monster Hunter's combat that I haven't experienced, but as of now, all I really know is that the hunter has a lot of large weapons that take forever to swing, and a sword and shield that's faster but doesn't deal much damage. I think there might be crossbows and traps in the game, but I either didn't unlock them or didn't figure out how to use them effectively.
hoo boy let me introduse you to the Insect glaive

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
As a whole, past and present, is it fair to say that Sega is a successful company? I'm incredibly ignorant when it comes to most of Sega's IP, so the only thing I've observed about the company is that they make mediocre 3D Sonic game after mediocre 3D Sonic game. If you are knowledgeable about Sega, that probably makes me seem like a shallow prick, but I wanna learn more.
Overall, they've been on and off for the past I'd say 20 years. The Sonic games have been like that - the Adventure games are considered pretty good if aged in certain areas (and hotly debated), Heroes is okay, Shadow and Sonic 06... yeah. Unleashed was generally a small rebound - Colors and Generations promised that it was to stay, but then Lost World was seen as wonky and Forces... yeah.

As for other series, as Sakura Wars has seen a resurgence as of late, and Yakuza's doing well for itself. Puyo Puyo and Phantasy Star Online are still going IIRC, and Streets of Rage saw its return with 4.

SEGA does have other divisions. Beyond ATLUS, I'll highlight three notable ones:

Sports Interactive is the studio behind Football Manager, a long running managing simulator. Football Manager A) is actually used by real life teams (even massive football clubs like Manchester City and Barcelona) to help scout for players, since FM's scouting network and club catalog is enormous, and B) some sim up to 1000 years in game.

Creative Assembly are the Total War guys - they has been somewhat inconsistent since the late-00s but rebounded largely with the Warhammer Total War titles. Rome: Total War (I), released 2004, still sees play occassionally (and is my favorite personally, as janky as it could be).

Relic Entertainment are the ones behind the complex Homeworld strategy series and the Dawn of War series. While they've had a wonky past few years, Homeworld I is absolutely a recommend if you're into complex and difficult 3D strategy set in space (as janky as it can be). Relic are also the ones who are developing Age of Empires IV.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Overall, they've been on and off for the past I'd say 20 years. The Sonic games have been like that - the Adventure games are considered pretty good if aged in certain areas (and hotly debated), Heroes is okay, Shadow and Sonic 06... yeah. Unleashed was generally a small rebound - Colors and Generations promised that it was to stay, but then Lost World was seen as wonky and Forces... yeah.

As for other series, as Sakura Wars has seen a resurgence as of late, and Yakuza's doing well for itself. Puyo Puyo and Phantasy Star Online are still going IIRC, and Streets of Rage saw its return with 4.

SEGA does have other divisions. Beyond ATLUS and Platinum, I'll highlight three notable ones:

Sports Interactive is the studio behind Football Manager, a long running managing simulator. Football Manager A) is actually used by real life teams (even massive football clubs like Manchester City and Barcelona) to help scout for players, since FM's scouting network and club catalog is enormous, and B) some sim up to 1000 years in game.

Creative Assembly are the Total War guys - they has been somewhat inconsistent since the late-00s but rebounded largely with the Warhammer Total War titles. Rome: Total War (I), released 2004, still sees play occassionally (and is my favorite personally, as janky as it could be).

Relic Entertainment are the ones behind the complex Homeworld strategy series and the Dawn of War series. While they've had a wonky past few years, Homeworld I is absolutely a recommend if you're into complex and difficult 3D strategy set in space (as janky as it can be). Relic are also the ones who are developing Age of Empires IV.
Actually, I don't think Platinum is owned by Sega. Still, this is WAY more complicated than I thought.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Actually, I don't think Platinum is owned by Sega. Still, this is WAY more complicated than I thought.
I believe they were, hence why Bayonetta was a Sega character. Now they're owned by Nintendo.

Edit: I am completely wrong, ignore me.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, and Sega HARDlight is a good division. Both Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces Battle are great mobile games.

Sega's got all kinds of good divisions and teams under them making good stuff. Sonic Team is the only one I'd say really struggles.
Huh. Must be a management thing...
I believe they were, hence why Bayonetta was a Sega character. Now they're owned by Nintendo.
Wait, Nintendo doesn't own Platinum either. WHO OWNS PLATINUM!?!?!

By the way, Nintendo should consider buying out more studios. It might help in case we end up in another drought year, like this one.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sega's legacy will always be prone to different judgments based on region, especially by console. Genesis went face to face with the SNES in America,, ran the table in Europe, and felt like an also ran in Japan. Saturn's a beloved classic in the East while being remembered as the distant third to N64 and PSX in the US.

That's not even getting into the random popularity of the Master System in places like South America.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No? Sega just hired Platinum, Sega still owns Bayonetta fully and Platinum's worked with too many non Sega companies and are self-publishing Project GG
Yeah, Platinum's been going around for various different publishers, like Sega, Nintendo, Square Enix, etc. Project G.G. is their first self-published title.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh, and Sega HARDlight is a good division. Both Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces Battle are great mobile games.

Sega's got all kinds of good divisions and teams under them making good stuff. Sonic Team is the only one I'd say really struggles.
Pretty much this, but wait, I believe Sonic Team makes the Puyo Puyo games as well. They just seem to suck at Sonic Games.

Pretty much Sega's Pitfall is with Sonic's Console games. Everything else Sonic related is honestly pretty good. The comics, the Movies, Mobile Games, even the Sonic Boom Cartoon (Despite being given a bad time slot, it still got lots of views before being ended), Plus everything else Sega is doing well. If Sonic Team can finally manage their way into Sonic games and make a GOTY Sonic game, Sega will be on fire on all fronts

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Huh. Must be a management thing...

Wait, Nintendo doesn't own Platinum either. WHO OWNS PLATINUM!?!?!

By the way, Nintendo should consider buying out more studios. It might help in case we end up in another drought year, like this one.
First of all Platinum's like Wayforward, they get hired but are independant in terms of ownership.

Hell no, you've seen how many Nintendo franchises stopped getting games for no damn reason, hiring studios like MercurySteam and Next Level Games on a project by project basis, like what happens to Platinum, is already working and Nintendo flatout owning new companies changes nothing

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, realized that and edited it out. My mistake.

Currently, Platinum's independent - they did recently get capital investment from Tencent so Platinum could self publish titles. That investment didn't change anything about Platinum's internal structure though according to Kamiya and co.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Pretty much this, but wait, I believe Sonic Team makes the Puyo Puyo games as well. They just seem to suck at Sonic Games.

Pretty much Sega's Pitfall is with Sonic's Console games. Everything else Sonic related is honestly pretty good. The comics, the Movies, Mobile Games, even the Sonic Boom Cartoon (Despite being given a bad time slot, it still got lots of views before being ended), Plus everything else Sega is doing well. If Sonic Team can finally manage their way into Sonic games and make a GOTY Sonic game, Sega will be on fire on all fronts
Honestly, Sonic should be undergoing a comeback right now, but Forces left a black mark on his recent record and there hasn't been anything to wash it off yet. Forces was developed by some new people who had no experience with Sonic, which is why it's so meh. Had it not been for Forces' aggressive averageness, Sonic's reputation would be a good deal better right now.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Sega being Evangelions biggest funder and sppnsor which would led to the creation of fooly cool and other gainax properties, gainax becoming a greedy shady company, and eventually led to Studio Trigger and Studio Khara forming is an underrated domino effect in media.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I agree. Mega Drive Sega was so much better! The Genesis never got Ball Jacks, Namco's finest, crab robot... ball grabbing game.

I think we should change topics now...

Speaking of dead franchises, what do you guys want to see come back? Apparently, there are rumors of one being announced next Direct, but that's assuming the next Direct is a thing.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Honestly, Sonic should be undergoing a comeback right now, but Forces left a black mark on his recent record and there hasn't been anything to wash it off yet. Forces was developed by some new people who had no experience with Sonic, which is why it's so meh. Had it not been for Forces' aggressive averageness, Sonic's reputation would be a good deal better right now.
I do feel kinda bad for Sonic as a whole. Not only is there an infamous stigma regarding his fanbase, but for the past 20 years the Sonic team at Sega just can't seem to find the rhythm for his games, it's always ups and downs without consistent stability. It's a shame because I always felt like the Sonic universe is very intriguing, with cool characters and settings. But then again, a lot of the best characters are relegated to one-off mainline appearances unless you're Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, or Eggman.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I do feel kinda bad for Sonic as a whole. Not only is there an infamous stigma regarding his fanbase, but for the past 20 years the Sonic team at Sega just can't seem to find the rhythm for his games, it's always ups and downs without consistent stability. It's a shame because I always felt like the Sonic universe is very intriguing, with cool characters and settings. But then again, a lot of the best characters are relegated to one-off mainline appearances unless you're Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, or Eggman.
At least the Sonic Real Time Fandubs are a thing.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Definitively. I just hope Sega is actually being serious about making sure Sonic Team takes time with their game (and that they aren't just slacking off for 4 years either.). Like i say, if we get a GOTY Sonic Game, It will be hype. I believe Someone important at Sega t stated he wants Sonic to beat Mario this time. That's a long way to go, But I hope the drive is there

Well I mean, Sonic did beat Mario at Mobile gaming, so that's a Start

Sega being Evangelions biggest funder and sppnsor which would led to the creation of fooly cool and other gainax properties, gainax becoming a greedy shady company, and eventually led to Studio Trigger and Studio Khara forming is an underrated domino effect in media.

What's the story behind this one?

Speaking of dead franchises, what do you guys want to see come back? Apparently, there are rumors of one being announced next Direct, but that's assuming the next Direct is a thing.
It would probably never happen, but If they ever brought back F-Zero, I would want Rocksteady to make an Arkham like Game with F-Zero. Racing during the day with the Blue Falcon, Bounty Hounting during the Night!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's wild that the average Sonic game sells less than the average Fire Emblem game these days. Sonic's issue is mismanagement imo, Forces seems like a game that focused primarily on the Hedgehog Engine 2's development, though the mostly new dev team certainly explains Forces' mediocrity

I'm not a religious woman but every night I pray for Uprising HD on the Switch

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I see discussion on Monster Hunter and I see an opportunity to shill my fan made moveset for the character :dkmelee:

btw Megadoomer Megadoomer if you want to give Monster Hunter another shot I recommend going with Monster Hunter World. It's the most beginner friendly game of the series and it introduced a ton of quality of life improvements that helps new players integrate well. If you want a fast paced play style I recommend both the dual blades and the insect glaive.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
This. Eveything Sonic's been pumping out has been pretty stellar recently, it's just that Forces had an unfortunate set of circumstances surrounding it: It was a game made by a small team of developers completely new to the series with only a year to get something out after focusing 2 years of development on an engine. It was a recipe for disaster. I feel hopeful for whatever comes next, though. I think Forces had excellent ideas behind it, it just needs good level design and more time put into it. I'm excited to see what Sonic Team does next, honestly.

Anyways, I guess some of this stuff might be starting to veer off topic, soooooo...Since we're already talking about Sonic, who would y'all want if we ever got another Sonic character on the roster? I'd give my vote Blaze, Eggman, Shadow, or Amy. I think any one of those four could bring something unique, interesting, and fun to the table.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sadly, being "cool" is both Sonic's greatest strength and his biggest weakness. While it allows for more creative freedom, it also means they have to change something every new game, be it gameplay, story, you name it. For comparison, Mario is always meant to be "fun". While that doesn't offer as much variety, it allows it to maintain consistency, if that makes any sense.

Or maybe I'm just rambling again...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Ah, I guess that's why the Saturn appears in that one episode
Sonic had a cameo in the saturn Eva game too

SEGA funded Magic Rayearth Knight and Utena as well hence why both got inhouse developed games exclusive on Saturn. Utena was by SEGA AM1 and Rayearth was by the Phantasy Star team.
Both are fantastic if you're willing to emulate a saturn.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyways, I guess some of this stuff might be starting to veer off topic, soooooo...Since we're already talking about Sonic, who would y'all want if we ever got another Sonic character on the roster? I'd give my vote Blaze, Eggman, Shadow, or Amy. I think any one of those four could bring something unique, interesting, and fun to the table.
Definitely Blaze. And if not her, then Eggman. That guy's just consistently a joy to watch in most modern Sonic stories, and his mechs offer a lot of potential.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sadly, being "cool" is both Sonic's greatest strength and his biggest weakness. While it allows for more creative freedom, it also means they have to change something every new game, be it gameplay, story, you name it. For comparison, Mario is always meant to be "fun". While that doesn't offer as much variety, it allows it to maintain consistency, if that makes any sense.

Or maybe I'm just rambling again...
It really doesn't though. A problem for Sonic games is that you need to create large stages that will only last a few minutes considering Sonic's speed. People underestimate the difficulty of making 3D Sonic games. Not to mention Lost World had zero 'cool' vibes and Forces' issue lied in lackluster level design as everything outside of the gameplay fits Sonic's Adventure style edge.
Blaze any day of the week. Omega's my second choice, never cared for Tails and Knuckles, I don't like Shadow's current characterization and I feel Eggman would need to have a moveset that's like 90% original

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
What's the story behind this one?
Dont want to veer off topic much but too make it short basically EVA was a Gainax first huge big success which led to them becoming power hungry, shady, and mismanaged. Creators had fights and disagreements with higher ups, that led to Trigger and Khara being formed.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as dead franchises, I'd love for Nintendo to bring back all the Mario sports series that aren't Tennis. Even with online services that appear to be largely based on tin can and string technology, there's fun and money to be had by a return of Mario Golf, Strikers, Sluggers, etc utilizing online play.

Heck a Mario Golf game where you can create and share courses (even mini-golf ones) online to other players. There's easy money right there.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

There's this one franchise that ends with 0 and starts with F, I'm sure several people would love to see return. Myself included.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
mostly new dev team certainly explains Forces' mediocrity
I dont believe thats it, the issue stems from Sonic 06 making SEGA very careful and limited with the franchise. You will likely never see something like shadow with a gun or a werehog a newer game, That's limits creativity so you get very basic bland games in response. While the gimmicks were badly recived you can atleast tell someone in the team had a vision atleast.

Some of the sonic team guys that worked on sakura wars literally going "FINALLY IVE BEEN WANTING TO DO THIS FOR YEARS" is something you will probably never see them say for a sonic game lol.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
As far as dead franchises, I'd love for Nintendo to bring back all the Mario sports series that aren't Tennis. Even with online services that appear to be largely based on tin can and string technology, there's fun and money to be had by a return of Mario Golf, Strikers, Sluggers, etc utilizing online play.

Heck a Mario Golf game where you can create and share courses (even mini-golf ones) online to other players. There's easy money right there.
I don't even need a new one, they could just port Sluggers to Switch full price, and they'd have my money day 1.

7NATOR

Smash Master
For another Sonic Character, Trying to talk about something else other than Shadow for this one

-Silver would be Awesome, but I do wonder how he'd be balance in a game where Pushing people off the map is the goal, considering his powers

-Infinite Very Much Intrigues me in a hypotehtical Smash Moveset. Reality Warping with the Phantom Ruby could introduce some interesting gameplay elements not just to Smash, but also to Fighting games in General. Plus I do like Infinite (Unpopular Opinion: But I actually like his Backstory)

-Chaos 0 would pretty much be the Venom of Smash, And I Like Venom, so...

-Knuckles would be alot of Punch, but Digging under the ground and Summoning Meteors are interesting moves. It would also be cool to have Gliding come back for a character Properly balanced around it

-Blaze is Cool as a character, But very underused unfortunately. She'll have alot of Flaming moves, and can summon Fire Pillars, along with Gliding with her shoes and boosting, some stuff there

-Metal Sonic would be Awesome. He has alot of material, like Laser beams, some Electric type attacks, Copying moves, Maybe even Transformtions (though I believe they don't want to use Metal Overlord anymore), he can even do the Psycho Crusher. And he has Big, Metal, Claws

-Mephiles would be that unnerving character that would use Shadow Clones like Noob Saibot. Plus he killed Sonic, he's a great Villain, and His voice is Delicious

-Eggman I'm not sure how he'd work because he has so Many Mechs, and alot of them are bigger than Ridley. He has much potential and Personality

-Zavok is Very Meh, but he could be the Captain Commando with the Deadly Six, Except even then I don't think the rest of the Deadly Six have any cool Powers from what I've seen, so still eh

-Amy would be very Graceful, while at the Same time very Aggressive with her Hammer usage.

-Omega is Just cool, enough said

-Big the Cat is already in the game, and he even took up Wrestling and lost some weight, and it also Seems Blaze has been giving him lessons.

-Tails has potential with the Gadgets, and maybe he could be an Air Grappler with his Aerial Prowess . despite that, I actually not really into Tails like that. He doesn't have as much Swag has the other characters, he's still cool though,

Honestly I'd be pretty cool with any Sonic Character, except for Zavok, and would be slightly dissapointed by Tails, but yes. However I want Shadow above all else. What needs to happen is that Sonic needs another Official Fighting game. Something like DB FighterZ, but with More Single Player, Better A.I, Rollback Netcode, and maybe some unlockabale Auto Combos for the Casual Players. maybe even a Smash style Special system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom