• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ok but the Wii VC had up to N64 games which took the end of the Wii U's lifespan to add, but the Wii U also had GBA games, Nintendo's ****ty dripfeed system contradicts itself in that regard
Oh but see, they didn't realize they could just slap a "Deluxe" on it and sell it for $60. :4pacman:

Earlier, I was told that anything 20+ years old is retro, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Like, I don't think something like the Wii should be considered retro by 2026. That's just...weird.

And of course, the dictionary definition of it is so broad that, technically, something that happened yesterday is retro, which is just silly.

EDIT: I'll accept the idea that a console is retro when 20+ years have passed after its death. So like, the N64 would become retro in just 2 years, but the Gamecube & Wii wouldn't be for a few decades.

EDIT EDIT: This reminds me of the time the superintendent of my school system assumed that us students wouldn't be familiar with the song "Unwritten". Like, I'm sure 2004 is ancient in regards to the music industry considering last month's songs are old news, but c'mon. That song was still playing when I was 10. It's not so old that the freshmen hadn't at least heard it before.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

PushDustin is trying to find out the guy who did the Grinch Leak.
I don't know, that sounds awfully intimidating...

Though I am curious as well. But I pray for their soul should they come clean.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well about the retro character talk, Ice climbers were considered retro in Melee and they where 17 years old (1984 Ice climber released, Melee released in 2001). 17 years ago, we were in the middle of the Gamecube/Ps2/Xbox era. So technically I agree that those characters should be pretty much consider retro, I just don't want to admit it because it make me feel old.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

PushDustin is trying to find out the guy who did the Grinch Leak.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone try to claim that they made this particular leak?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone try to claim that they made this particular leak?
I think Mariotehplumber (Rosalina amiibo scalper) did but people dismissed it

This mystery may be like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop: the world may never know...

SKX31

Smash Master
EDIT: I'll accept the idea that a console is retro when 20+ years have passed after its death. So like, the N64 would become retro in just 2 years, but the Gamecube & Wii wouldn't be for a few decades.
That definition would still have Gamecube as retro around 2027 (since Nintendo phased the GameCube out around 2006) and the Wii as retro ca. 2032 (largely phased out when the Wii U arrived, and I'm not counting the revisions for simplicity's sake).

Again, the concept of "retro" is not easily defineable, but we should remember that the under-18s of today were born late 2002 or later. One could argue that the majority of under-18s don't have any memories of the GameCube or its contemporaries period. Saying the majority because yes, there are those that grow up with used / older consoles.

As much as it can be painful to admit, time is just like that.

(Belated edit: Did not mean any malice here, just worded it admittedly poorly.)

Unless there's another factor pushing for them like being hella popular, highly iconic, or staging a comeback, I doubt we'll get a retro rep for DLC. The odds are there, it's not impossible, but I think they'll probably rather go for characters like Mega Man or Simon, which are retro in origin and appeal to retro fans but never really went away. Many have mentioned Hayabusa and yeah, that kind of character fits the bill better imo. Off the top of my head, I guess I could see a retro rep if Konami gets a character (though YMMV if it counts, as Contra and Frogger did get games in the modern age), and maybe like, Crono or Dig Dug or the Lee Bros. as outside shots.

I wanna say though, kudos for the Zeke & Julie shout-out. No way will we get them because Disney owns them and we'll definitely get Sora and even Guybrush and Manny Calavera over them, but still, that game's a classic.
TBF most would probably count Contra and Frogger as retro, because they are heavily associated with their roots. Sure, they've had games in the modern age, but several of the modern Contra games underperformed. And the one that did really well - Contra Return - has been exclusive to China / SEA. I'm a little surprised that Frogger hasn't apparently seen a game since 2011, but Konami likewise hasn't found much of a footing with that series.

If anything, those two would very likely be designed around their retro appearances if they got into Smash.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well about the retro character talk, Ice climbers were considered retro in Melee and they where 17 years old (1984 Ice climber released, Melee released in 2001). 17 years ago, we were in the middle of the Gamecube/Ps2/Xbox era. So technically I agree that those characters should be pretty much consider retro, I just don't want to admit it because it make me feel old.
It is kind amazing to realize that if Geno, Bandana Dee, or Dixie Kong were to get into the game, they'd be older than Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. were at the time of their respective Smash debuts.
Imagine being a post retro character and still taking longer than it took Ice Climber's to make it into Smash...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
TBH if Nintendo doesn't say anything by Wednesday morning, I'd say the odds for a General are dead. It'd be a Mini, a Partner Showcase, or nothing at that point.

Nothing this morning, so the next two mornings are gonna be fun. :yeahboi:
Idk, I could still see an announcement coming on Thursday. Whenever the supposed Direct iself is though, it'd need to be an earlier one, since otherwise it'd be on a Saturday for Japan, and I really doubt that they'd do that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
With the exception of Banjo, how likely do you guys think it'd be to get a retro rep (NES/SNES era) in for FP2?
I doubt it would happen but I would love a new retro rep from that era. :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:

An original character called "NES Remix"... whom is based on Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, and Bubbles (Clu Clu Land). The four NES characters who were rejected in favor of Ice Climbers in Melee join forces to become NES Remix.

1598278410219.png
1598278421283.png
1598278430873.png
1598278438610.png

Mr. Game & Watch was an original character who made his debut in Melee and he was based on Game & Watch games... so why not another one?

NES Remix's moveset would have:
  • Urban Champion's punches (like Little Mac)
  • Balloon Fighter's balloons (Up B like Villager)
  • Excitebiker's bike (Side B like Wario)
  • Bubbles as a tag team partner (like Rosalina's Luma)

Duck Hunt technically is like that too... you play as the dog and duck from Duck Hunt but the dog also uses the cans from Hogan's Alley and the outlaws from Wild Gunman.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just a reminder that the last Mini was a shadow drop.
Yup, it was. However, NateDrake's original rumor was about a General, so if it is a General and it sticks to Nintendo's usual way of doing things, Wednesday morning is probably our announcement time. Thursday could potentially have it as well, but usually the big ones are announced at least two days in advance.

To be honest, NateDrake's reply to Grubb was interesting to me. He's been adamant about a General until Grubb said anything: After Grubb's tweet, Nate then said "Even if it's a Mini". As for Kelios, he only said "It should be a General". I'm starting to wonder if we're in another situation where they only really know the date for this thing and are making assumptions on its actual contents, 'cause it seems to me that they're just a little bit unsure themselves.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
TBH if Nintendo doesn't say anything by Wednesday morning, I'd say the odds for a General are dead. It'd be a Mini, a Partner Showcase, or nothing at that point.

Generally, announcements for general directs have been made as short as a day before, so I think even by Thursday there could be something. Though personally, I'm not too confident on it either. I haven't even followed a lot of stuff, just gonna wait and see if there's a proper announcement.

SKX31

Smash Master

So I suppose we should prepare the brooms in case there is no announcement this week?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/icgnev
And in case there is a Direct announcement:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ie47qx
:4pacman:

(We need a Charles Barkley emote too when we have Shaq.)

Generally, announcements for general directs have been made as short as a day before, so I think even by Thursday there could be something. Though personally, I'm not too confident on it either. I haven't even followed a lot of stuff, just gonna wait and see if there's a proper announcement.
Yeah, I'm not too confident on it as well - Nintendo does seem to have shifted a bit towards smaller piecemeal announcements due to the current situation. A General would break that "trend" if one can call it that.

Could a General happen still? Yes, not doubting that. But as you said, gonna wait and see.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Question that may or may not have an effect on the rumored Direct: is Nintendo going to be at Gamescom this year? It starts on Thursday, so I don't know if that would mess with anything.

Honestly, I kinda wish Emily Rogers was more specific when she said Pikmin 3 got delayed "because of Covid". Obviously, Nintendo was hit particularly hard, but I want to know HOW hard so I can set my expectations accordingly.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If the 28th rumors are true i'm thinking that on the 28th we will get an announcement that reveals the date for the next Mini Direct or Partner Direct.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Question that may or may not have an effect on the rumored Direct: is Nintendo going to be at Gamescom this year? It starts on Thursday, so I don't know if that would mess with anything.

Honestly, I kinda wish Emily Rogers was more specific when she said Pikmin 3 got delayed "because of Covid". Obviously, Nintendo was hit particularly hard, but I want to know HOW hard so I can set my expectations accordingly.
Nope, they aren't. Nintendo typically only shows off previously-announced stuff at Gamescom, anyway. And since Gamescom this year is an online-only event, it's really not that surprising anyway.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There were those French modders who claimed to have made the Cacomallow leak, saying they made Grinch 2.0 and bragging about how it only took them a couple of minutes to do. Also if I remember correctly, the Grinch leak had a caption that said **** Nintendo in french and the workshop that the leak was made was done in France. Don't quote me on it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yup, it was. However, NateDrake's original rumor was about a General, so if it is a General and it sticks to Nintendo's usual way of doing things, Wednesday morning is probably our announcement time. Thursday could potentially have it as well, but usually the big ones are announced at least two days in advance.

To be honest, NateDrake's reply to Grubb was interesting to me. He's been adamant about a General until Grubb said anything: After Grubb's tweet, Nate then said "Even if it's a Mini". As for Kelios, he only said "It should be a General". I'm starting to wonder if we're in another situation where they only really know the date for this thing and are making assumptions on its actual contents, 'cause it seems to me that they're just a little bit unsure themselves.
Going by the comment Nate made about the tweet, it sounds more that they know the contents and are assuming based off of that as he said it had both first and third party content. So assuming he's correct, then the options are a Mini or a General.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There were those French modders who claimed to have made the Cacomallow leak, saying they made Grinch 2.0 and bragging about how it only took them a couple of minutes to do. Also if I remember correctly, the Grinch leak had a caption that said **** Nintendo in french and the workshop that the leak was made was done in France. Don't quote me on it.
Im qouting you anyway

by for real, imagine if it was them, those sneeks

I.D.

Smash Lord

Nate has been saying since before July 20th they have no way of knowing if Nintendo will brand a Direct mini or whatever. They only talk about it because desperate people pressure them to. The whole reason they know about the dates is because they know games are getting announced there, not because they've seen a direct.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I present to you all, a possible future, one from a timeline most dark and unsettling...

Link 'cause this image is huge.

Is it a prophecy? Is this the world line we currently inhabit: One bound for chaos and destruction? Only time will tell...

Okay, silly memes aside, real talk time: As pessimistic as I am about this week, I legit hope we get something cool so everyone can be happy. :)

Also, please, please, please don't get upset at Insiders. Thankfully this place was pretty tame, but the crud Kelios and the others went through wasn't cool. Remember to keep expectations realistic, hype responsibly, and just all in all, remember that this is all just about video games.:dr^_^:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I present to you all, a possible future, one from a timeline most dark and unsettling...

Is it a prophecy? Is this the world line we currently inhabit: One bound for chaos and destruction? Only time will tell...

Okay, silly memes aside, real talk time: As pessimistic as I am about this week, I legit hope we get something cool so everyone can be happy. :)

Also, please, please, please don't get upset at Insiders. Thankfully this place was pretty tame, but the crud Kelios and the others went through wasn't cool. Remember to keep expectations realistic, hype responsibly, and just all in all, remember that this is all just about video games.:dr^_^:
How dare you wish we all get something we want, why, that very statement vexes me like nothing else, I shall now send you grave threats and horrid remarks for this blatant disregard of my opinions, which are better than yours

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Alright, discussion starter: Is there anyone you've heard about and want to know more of, but don't know too much about them?
I know nothing about Reimu outside of memes and the fact she's a big Japanese indie with a strong legacy. I've always kinda written her off because of the Indie ceiling catching Commander Video, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, and Cuphead, but her being a Japanese character and one with decades of history could make the difference. Is there anything else about her that may be of note?

SKX31

Smash Master
Alright, discussion starter: Is there anyone you've heard about and want to know more of, but don't know too much about them?
For me, Ni No Kuni.

Saw it for the first on the Japanese download charts, and it sounds exactly like the kind of series Sakurai would go for on a surface level. It also apparently has a decade of history behind it, so there's apparently quite a lot to pull from. At the same time, don't remember the protagonist's name off the top of my head, so I'd like to learn more about that series.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Shantae and Issac. I know the most basic information about them, but I never really played any of their games. A couple years ago I downloaded the most recent (I think?) Shantae game from the Switch eShop, but I never got around to completing it. The game never hooked me, but that's probably because Smash came out around the same time so my attention immediately shifted towards that game. As for Issac, I hear nothing but good things about the Golden Sun series, and my favorite genre is RPG games so maybe I should try it out someday. Oh, and not sure if this counts as answering your question, but I definitely want to try an Advance Wars game in the future.

I've been trying to stay on the more optimistic side lately, but I would say my overall expectations for the future remain grounded in reality (at least I hope!)

Many believe that due to COVID, Nintendo isn't going to announce anything substantial this year with the exception of Smash characters and the alleged Mario 3D collection. But what's stopping them from announcing/showing off bits of gameplay from games coming up in 2021/2022? I'm sure Nintendo isn't stupid and they know their lineup for 2020 so far has been weak, relying mostly on Animal Crossing as well as the quarantine period to sell Switches.

So why not announce things to come? Give Nintendo fans something to look forward to while also giving the general public more reasons to buy a Switch, especially with those new consoles are coming out at the end of year. Nintendo is constantly developing new titles and they must have an itinerary of games to work on and release for the future, it's not like COVID happened and Nintendo decided "that's it, no more games, cancel all the future releases."

Also, regardless of the upcoming Direct length, something that always helps me remain positive is the minuscule chance of a localized Mother 3 being announced. I've been going into every Direct for the past 6-7 years with that in mind; I know it likely won't happen, but watching a Direct live and being on the edge of my seat just in case is a lot of fun!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yakuza is a series that I really want to try for a long time but I still never played it. Kiryu is brought up more and more and I actually don't know a lot about him.

Another one would be Tales of that is brought up quite often and I never played. To be fair that one interest me less because I'm not a huge jrpg players, but I know nothing about Tales of and his characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know nothing about Reimu outside of memes and the fact she's a big Japanese indie with a strong legacy. I've always kinda written her off because of the Indie ceiling catching Commander Video, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, and Cuphead, but her being a Japanese character and one with decades of history could make the difference. Is there anything else about her that may be of note?
Funny you should mention that, because I'm currently working on a concept for a Touhou Challenger Pack at the moment (Albeit a little exaggerated with the Spirits and cameos), an intro to the series included.
In case you want a shorter version, another thing to note about Touhou is that aside from being indie, it's also big in the doujin scene. Doujins are amateur developers, similar to indies, meaning Touhou has an extra bit of overlap that could help give it a push.
The most important thing to note, I think, is the fact that ZUN is so incredibly lax with the IP, meaning it has mountains of fanworks, fangames, and remixes, with some even surpassing the original song in popularity, most notably Bad Apple. That impact with all the fan creations is something I think gives Touhou an edge. Is there any other series that can say most of it's songs have 60-200 remixes?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
When people talk about Level-5, it's usually about Professor Layton or Jibanyan. While perfectly understandable, I wonder if there are any sleeper picks they may have, like Ni No Kuni or even Inazuma Eleven.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Many believe that due to COVID, Nintendo isn't going to announce anything substantial this year with the exception of Smash characters and the alleged Mario 3D collection. But what's stopping them from announcing/showing off bits of gameplay from games coming up in 2021/2022? I'm sure Nintendo isn't stupid and they know their lineup for 2020 so far has been weak, relying mostly on Animal Crossing as well as the quarantine period to sell Switches.

So why not announce things to come? Give Nintendo fans something to look forward to while also giving the general public more reasons to buy a Switch, especially with those new consoles are coming out at the end of year. Nintendo is constantly developing new titles and they must have an itinerary of games to work on and release for the future, it's not like COVID happened and Nintendo decided "that's it, no more games, cancel all the future releases."
Seeing how Nintendo can't keep Switch's on shelves, they don't really have any incentive to try and boost console sales more right now. They already cannot fulfill demand.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If this IS a General, think they’d announce the Switch Pro or whatever?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yakuza is a series that I really want to try for a long time but I still never played it. Kiryu is brought up more and more and I actually don't know a lot about him.
Ok so imagine Hank Hill but as a Japanese man who used to be part of a crime syndicate, a certified Good Lad who tries to keep in touch with modern trends and constantly finds himself in serious drama with the Yakuza and **** like this

Yakuza games tend to go for cheap due to sales, but if you just want a crash course without buying the games to see the appeal, there's also this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom