• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Debates can be fun yes, but not when the entire "debate" is people going head to head, tribal style. It would be pretty much like saying "geno is the worst character ever and should never get in /s" (I need to stress I'm using that phrase as an example, and I don't truly agree with it, for anyone curious) and it turns into a debate over whether or not Geno is good or bad, which as we all know, would go south very fast. It's just quite simply not a good idea to debate when we have nothing to debate over.(aside from the occasional question or hot take that pops up every now and then, that is)
Well that's different, and I don't agree with that. I don't actually disagree with fanbases going against each other, as long as they do it in a Constructive way and respect the people on the other side. Like as a Shadow fan, I feel threaten by the possibility of Arle, Tails, Kazuma Kiryu, Axel Stone, Sakura getting in, and I might be on the other side debating against those fanbases, but I can at least respect the people on the other side and give my reasoning and also look at the reasoning of other people.

So if Isaac fans and Waluigi fans go against each other, even if they don't agree on a conclusion, as long as they respect the decision of their fellow brothers on the other side it's not a problem. I mean, there are mods on this site right. If someone is roasting a fanbase pretty bad and telling them their character sucks, the Mods could come in, some of the Smashboard populace can come in, it's just like that.

And i agree, you got to at least have something to debate over. You can't just say Waluigi bad or anything and expect good stuff. If I say, "Waluigi has a chance, but if Geno is an option, than has me worried about his chances" then that's a good debate question. I think that could happen with Assist discussion. yes

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There was a fake leak forever ago that got me thinking about how a Pokemon Guess Who would go. Not a Galar guess who, but every Pokemon in the series' 20 year history. It'd probably go toxic quickly, but it'd be fun for at least a little bit to have more than four (Rillaboom, Cinderance, Urshifu, and Toxtricity) viable contenders.

D

Deleted member

Well that's different, and I don't agree with that. I don't actually disagree with fanbases going against each other, as long as they do it in a Constructive way and respect the people on the other side. Like as a Shadow fan, I feel threaten by the possibility of Arle, Tails, Kazuma Kiryu, Axel Stone, Sakura getting in, and I might be on the other side debating against those fanbases,
We've really gone full circle haven't we
All these fanbase going against each other. It should be a fun time. I know I would have fun Debating about Shadow again and people actually taking it somewhat seriously...
But frankly I'm tired of doing this and I'm probably pushing it as is so I'm outta here.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Well that's different, and I don't agree with that. I don't actually disagree with fanbases going against each other, as long as they do it in a Constructive way and respect the people on the other side. Like as a Shadow fan, I feel threaten by the possibility of Arle, Tails, Kazuma Kiryu, Axel Stone, Sakura getting in, and I might be on the other side debating against those fanbases, but I can at least respect the people on the other side and give my reasoning and also look at the reasoning of other people.

So if Isaac fans and Waluigi fans go against each other, even if they don't agree on a conclusion, as long as they respect the decision of their fellow brothers on the other side it's not a problem. I mean, there are mods on this site right. If someone is roasting a fanbase pretty bad and telling them their character sucks, the Mods could come in, some of the Smashboard populace can come in, it's just like that.

And i agree, you got to at least have something to debate over. You can't just say Waluigi bad or anything and expect good stuff. If I say, "Waluigi has a chance, but if Geno is an option, than has me worried about his chances" then that's a good debate question. I think that could happen with Assist discussion. yes
But see, that's contradictory by its very nature. Going against each other is NOT done with respect or constructive criticism. It's basically the difference between communicative speculation and mental fights.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There was a fake leak forever ago that got me thinking about how a Pokemon Guess Who would go. Not a Galar guess who, but every Pokemon in the series' 20 year history. It'd probably go toxic quickly, but it'd be fun for at least a little bit to have more than four (Rillaboom, Cinderance, Urshifu, and Toxtricity) viable contenders.
A guessing game probably isn't the best way to bring this about, but I would love to see what everyone would think of who would make a good candidate if all generations truly were on the table.

Unfortunately the main answer is still "do not want" but it would be interesting to see the answers of those who do want.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Catch me day one leading the Garchomp bois.
garchomp dawn.png

7NATOR

Smash Master
But see, that's contradictory by its very nature. Going against each other is NOT done with respect or constructive criticism. It's basically the difference between communicative speculation and mental fights.
Hmmm

Well you know what, for me it's just hard to word, but I just think people are overselling the potential flame wars that would happen if there was an Assist Guessing game, like I do think there will be some heat, and some salt, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's gonna tear the fabric of the website apart, and I think we should loo in fear of an Assist Guessing game because of that. that's all say

A guessing game probably isn't the best way to bring this about, but I would love to see what everyone would think of who would make a good candidate if all generations truly were on the table.

Unfortunately the main answer is still "do not want" but it would be interesting to see the answers of those who do want.
Gardevoir would probably be one of the standout Pokemon. I also believe that any Grass type Pokemon would probably get alot of hype as well simply because people really want some grass. I think Decidueye could also come back, since he did get shafted in favor of Incinearoar

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I also believe that any Grass type Pokemon would probably get alot of hype as well simply because people really want some grass.
Wait that would mean...

It's Sunkern time! Aw yeeeeeah!

EDIT: Fun Fact: The first Pokémon I ever caught was a Sunkern, so it has a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I bet there would be a lot of people wanting Cynthia as well. Gallade too.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd make a fighter who fights with its elbows...
Wait I'm confused. You mean Cynthia the Pokemon trainer or is there an actual Pokemon called Cynthia?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Ok but the funniest joke is claiming that ResetERA's progressive and wildly left wing
Not as funny as claiming that site is centrist.
Performatively left is what it is. It's got a homophobic owner, a transphobic general manager, an antisemitic admin, and a bunch of sub-communities that hate each other and want the site to be something its not while its staff run around trying to keep up the veneer of inclusivity. All while trying to reach the impossible standards of intersectionality despite not wanting to scare off the people that just want a general video game site to talk on (something that's kind of hard to do when a segment of the userbase wants to delete capitalism). Not that that's working very well seeing as they just permabanned the guy in charge of Halo despite not wanting to get rid of yet another of their vanishingly small list of industry people.

Actually, I'm curious. How many here think ResetEra is legit some den of insiders with a bunch of crazy secret information? Because I've seen that sentiment before when I still checked the Geno thread and it's downright hilarious to me. Needing a non-free email to get into the place (which wasn't even true when it first started with the migration from Neogaf, which was like 20 thousand people) doesn't make it some crazy exclusive club. Yeah, it did have some notable people back in 2017-early 2018 when Emily Rogers, Shinobi, Zhuge and a bunch of other people were still there, but that was a while ago. The place has since become a pariah in the community at large and all but a very specific segment of the industry. Natedrake is literally the only person left that's kind of informed on industry stuff.

Everyone's on Twitter these days getting wrong insider information, not forums.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Performatively left is what it is. It's got a homophobic owner, a transphobic general manager, an antisemitic admin, and a bunch of sub-communities that hate each other and want the site to be something its not while its staff run around trying to keep up the veneer of inclusivity. All while trying to reach the impossible standards of intersectionality despite not wanting to scare off the people that just want a general video game site to talk on (something that's kind of hard to do when a segment of the userbase wants to delete capitalism). Not that that's working very well seeing as they just permabanned the guy in charge of Halo despite not wanting to get rid of yet another of their vanishingly small list of industry people.

Actually, I'm curious. How many here think ResetEra is legit some den of insiders with a bunch of crazy secret information? Because I've seen that sentiment before when I still checked the Geno thread and it's downright hilarious to me. Needing a non-free email to get into the place (which wasn't even true when it first started with the migration from Neogaf, which was like 20 thousand people) doesn't make it some crazy exclusive club. Yeah, it did have some notable people back in 2017-early 2018 when Emily Rogers, Shinobi, Zhuge and a bunch of other people were still there, but that was a while ago. The place has since become a pariah in the community at large and all but a very specific segment of the industry. Natedrake is literally the only person left that's kind of informed on industry stuff.

Doesn't Shonobi still pop up from time or time? Like, wasn't his Banjo hint there? ResetEra still has people in the know, it's undeniable, it's just, they're a very small fraction.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Wait I got questions

-They actually banned the guy in Charge of Halo?

-Shinobi isn't on Resetera anymore?

-Besides Nate Drake, isn't King Zell pretty credible?

And actually, speaking of Resetera, You guys remember Tansut, the guy that leaked Cloud in Smash 4? I know he corr bated the rumors of Dragon Quest in smash, but after that I haven't seen him. do you think his source was deleted after Square fired the people for the leaks?

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Doesn't Shonobi still pop up from time or time? Like, wasn't his Banjo hint there? ResetEra still has people in the know, it's undeniable, it's just, they're a very small fraction.
Oh, does he? I thought he was mostly on Twitter these days. Not that he really leaks anything anyway. The Banjo thing was mostly a one-off and it was very close to the reveal itself. He was also an admin at the time, so it made sense to post it there.

Nate is really the only regular that openly flaunts his knowledge. There are definitely a few industry people that aren't actually open about their position there, but they don't really say anything of course, so it's irrelevant.

Wait I got questions

-They actually banned the guy in Charge of Halo?

-Shinobi isn't on Resetera anymore?

-Besides Nate Drake, isn't King Zell pretty credible?

And actually, speaking of Resetera, You guys remember Tansut, the guy that leaked Cloud in Smash 4? I know he corr bated the rumors of Dragon Quest in smash, but after that I haven't seen him. do you think his source was deleted after Square fired the people for the leaks?
-Yes, Stinkles aka Frank O' Connor, the current franchise director for Halo, is banned.

-Not to my knowledge, but the post above yours may imply otherwise.

-He falls for leakbait too much, so it's hard to say what is real and what isn't, but he does indeed have industry contacts. Listening to him is largely throwing darts though.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
That'd be the protagonist of Xenogears, currently under the ownership of Square Enix:

Oh, I actually seen the guy before, but I never actually caught his name.

You know, with both Square and Namco in smash, while I don't know if Fei Fong Wong would be Playable, it would be at least cool if they added some Xenogears and Xenosaga content to the game, for a Complete Xeno Collection of content...or something like that. From the sprite animation he seems like he'll be cool

And that one's the Dynasty Warriors character right?
I was thinking the Street Fighter character, So we could have Bruce Lee in Smash..

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Imagine if it's Decidueye. Going from the top request, thrown aside by Incineroar and then Rillaboom, and them making a return would almost be a good plot for a movie.
Catch me day one leading the Garchomp bois.
View attachment 283268
Garchomp's cool and all, but the real great Pokemon is Magneton Grovyle
I rest my case.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Smash community as a whole has an undeniable problem with only discussing the top layer of characters perceived as likely and nothing else. That should be fixed, for sure.

But to hope Sakurai goes "one of these 16 characters will get in, I'll give you three months to discuss who it is" as if that would solve the issue is incredibly naive, and puts the burden on the wrong people. This might sound cheesy but it's us who have to fix the problems of speculation, not Daddy Sakurai.

At best it would only be a very temporary reprieve; even if all the potential candidates are given a fair shake, only one will get in and the rest will fade from discussion even harder than before. It happened with ARMS and would happen with any guessing game. Nobody expects to get 2 ARMS fighters, or 2 Capcom reps, or 2 Pokemon characters, and if they actually made the distinction within Nintendo that the next character is an Assist Trophy, then it follows that we'd also expect them to be the only one, as it wouldn't make sense to note that otherwise. That's a really ****ty situation to put fans of ATs in, to be honest, as now it's a "there can be only one" deal and if you don't think you're character's the one you have to wait until they show who it is. Even if there isn't a fandom war, it's certainly a great way to get all the other fandoms to dislike your character.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Shinobi's still active.

-----

Lot of people love paying attention to places they hate though and that's pretty ****ing funny to me. Like, let a place that isn't a forum occupy that headspace.

toonito

Smash Ace
Nov 2018 left us with Kencineroar which had a mixed reaction. Let's imagine there were two other timelines for Smash Ultimate. In all three timelines Ultimate's final base game newcomers WILL be from Street Fighter and Pokemon Sun & Moon. The other timelines have Chunarina and Deciduguile (lol) as the final newcomers.

picture courtesy of Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12

Which timeline would you all pick?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Calling Grasshopper indie is roughly the equivalent of calling Falcom indie. Just being small is not what indie means.
Personally, I group Travis separately due to circumstances. No More Heroes 3 looks to be getting a substantial push from Nintendo, and he'd get added mainly because of that rather than representing indies. Other indie candidates, like Shovel Knight and Reimu, aren't tied to any specific company beyond their developers, so they'd have to work their way up through other means. As such, I think Travis would be treated as an exclusive third-party rather than an indie.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nov 2018 left us with Kencineroar which had a mixed reaction. Let's imagine there were two other timelines for Smash Ultimate. In all three timelines Ultimate's final base game newcomers WILL be from Street Fighter and Pokemon Sun & Moon. The other timelines have Chunarina and Deciduguile (lol) as the final newcomers.

Incineroar is the worst Pokemon outcome and Guile is the worst Street Fighter outcome so I'm going with Chunarina.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The one with Primarina. I'm a Water-type stan until the day I DIE!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shinobi's still active.

-----

Lot of people love paying attention to places they hate though and that's pretty ****ing funny to me. Like, let a place that isn't a forum occupy that headspace.
It's a real struggle not wanting to pay attention to resetera or twitter but still wanting to stay up on the TEA.

But ima retire soon enough anyway; none of this is worth it and I probably would've evaporated into the aether already had Pass 1 been the end of things.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

I know it's off topic/too late and a bit of swearing but why the hell is resetera a gaming forum at this point when they more concern about wanting more diversity in gaming than talking about the games.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Decidueye, in a heartbeat.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Chunarina, because A: Their designs grab me the most on first glance, and B: because I'm interested in how they'd be handled.
That being said, Chun-Li would be easier to translate to Smash than Guile, since he only has two charge specials and a ton of command normals, so seeing how Guile would be handled would be pretty interesting. Plus, I chose Decidueye when I played through SuMo, so I have a soft spot for him. Deciduguile would be acceptable as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom