• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I dunno, the one time I looked at what a League of Legends character could add to the game I was quite intrigued. If most or all of the candidates are like that I think the discussion could be quite fun.
That's true, the game has a lot of very interesting choices. 3BitSaurus is more familiar with the game and its characters generally than I am, but that game's figureheads are pretty diverse and have different mechanics to them that can work well with Smash. Riot would probably be willing to help since they've made a Smash mod in the past.

I'm just thinking the general reaction would likely be negative - especially within the Japanese community, where LoL is niché and there are likely to be some complaints that Nintendo "sold out to Chinese and Korean interests". Also: no matter which forums we're talking about - Western, Chinese, Korean, whatever - the guessing game would likely wear itself out quickly because it'd likely devolve into "X is going to get in because Sakurai usually prefers the mascot", "Nuh uh, Y would get in since that character's got the most iconic passive!" etc.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
After the ARMS guessing game, I highly doubt it. You could make some pretty good cases for the entire roster, but in the end, it was just Spring Man vs. Min Min. Plus, ARMS hype was pretty low. If we did ATs, everyone would have a second chance again, but only one would get in. The salt and flame wars would be unimaginable.

Again, no guessing games period.
That's why I want a Guessing Game. It would make people more passionate than ever. Just imagine it

All these fanbase going against each other. It should be a fun time. I know I would have fun Debating about Shadow again and people actually taking it somewhat seriously instead of people looking at me like some Disillusioned Conspiracy Theorist. And also I think because the Assist Guessing game would be much more broad than ARMS (because each Assist Character have more different merits from each other) it won't just be Waluigi vs Isaac. those two would have the most people, but I bet more voices will be taken seriously

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's why I want a Guessing Game. It would make people more passionate than ever. Just imagine it

All these fanbase going against each other. It should be a fun time. I know I would have fun Debating about Shadow again and people actually taking it somewhat seriously instead of people looking at me like some Disillusioned Conspiracy Theorist. And also I think because the Assist Guessing game would be much more broad than ARMS (because each Assist Character have more different merits from each other) it won't just be Waluigi vs Isaac. those two would have the most people, but I bet more voices will be taken seriously
Nono. It wouldn't just be passion on display, it would be a kill or be killed mentality. For the vocal Waluigi and Isaac fans, their character would be the only correct choice and anything else would be blasphemous, especially the only other one that actually has a shot. It wouldn't be a fun debate. It would be war.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I saw people complaining about this dry period in speculation, but I actually like that. The fact that we have no leak or no news is a great period to just make random theory and talk about less popular character a bit. Imo it's definitely more fun than talking 3 weeks about Ryza or 3 months about Arms.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
“Hey Smashboards, did you the progressive left leaning video game form bad??”

well I’m here to remind you that, now please ignore the context, see how clearly not everyone wasn’t upset there and how people are perfectly allowed to be upset that they didn’t get what they wanted (considering how this forum always does it all the time) and laugh
Dude that thread on Era got so bad it had to be locked, and they had to put a freaking disclaimer in it.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I saw people complaining about this dry period in speculation, but I actually like that. The fact that we have no leak or no news is a great period to just make random theory and talk about less popular character a bit. Imo it's definitely more fun than talking 3 weeks about Ryza or 3 months about Arms.
Ah yes, it is time to shill my most wanted again, Young Wizard

On a more serious note, yeah I kinda agree with you. Talking about the same 2 characters for weeks on end gets very.. very boring and this news drought is a nice change of pace for once.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't agree with your point with Arc systems. The difference with Arc sys situation and Ubisoft is that mii costume always come in wave with a character, so it would be weird to have Ubisoft costumes with a Ubisoft character later. The spirit release is much more random (aside from DLC characters have spirits from that franchise at the same time). Also River city wasn't the most likely Arc systems characters in the first place, it was Blazblue or Guilty gear.
I acknowledge that, and Even I know if Arc Systems got a character, it would be Sol or Ragna

and that's why I put it in Low tier and not bottom tier with Bethasda and Ubisoft. having said that, because I Don't believe they would just

that's just asking for people to get riled up and angry at each other, and I for one say

Nono. It wouldn't just be passion on display, it would be a kill or be killed mentality. For the vocal Waluigi and Isaac fans, their character would be the only correct choice and anything else would be blasphemous, especially the only other one that actually has a shot. It wouldn't be a fun debate. It would be war.
Look I understand it will definitely get heated, but at the same time I think we as Smash Speculators can be responsible people and not let it have it get to us. Plus sometimes we need a Speculation War. It gets people out her giving their reasons and let's every side really show off their full potential or something like that

D

Deleted member

Look I understand it will definitely get heated, but at the same time I think we as Smash Speculators can be responsible people and not let it have it get to us. Plus sometimes we need a Speculation War. It gets people out her giving their reasons and let's every side really show off their full potential or something like that
ya know, I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt this entire time, despite your odd and weird opinions(also your weird capitalization but that's fine) but unless I'm misreading something, you're straight up asking to start a flame war for no reason other than to start one. Which.. I have to say... what the ****? More specifically, WHY the **** would you ever think that's a good idea?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Good lord, you really do want us to go down in a raging bonfire. Are we sure Sundowner isn't behind this account?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
ya know, I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt this entire time, despite your odd and weird opinions(also your weird capitalization but that's fine) but unless I'm misreading something, you're straight up asking to start a flame war for no reason other than to start one. Which.. I have to say... what the *? More specifically, WHY the * would you ever think that's a good idea?
Pretty sure he's the same guy who came up with the theory that Sakurai would add more female characters based on their chest size or some ****.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dude that thread on Era got so bad it had to be locked, and they had to put a freaking disclaimer in it.

With the caveat that this doesn't apply to everyone there, the problem with Resetera's mentality about Smash is they're conflating their hopes with their expectations. Like, I understand the point they're making about representation, and if you want to have that guide your desires and who you support, that's completely fine. People want who they want for the reasons they want.

But the problem arises when they take their perspective, and somehow believe Smash will now operate the way they want it to. Smash will continue to choose the characters in the way it does, which is not the way many of them do. Smash doesn't give weight to the same factors they do, yet they continue to expect that it will. Then, when it doesn't, the dissonance created results in a backlash... even though there was never any reason to believe it would operate that way, other than their belief that it should.

However you want the roster to take shape is fine for your own reasons to support a character. But when it comes to expectations, you have to march to the beat of Smash's drum. They set the rules, they choose the characters, and lending credence to outside, irrelevant factors will inevitably lead to upset.

Though it is also emblematic of the way resetera carries itself in general, where diverging from the approved stances is a recipe for trouble.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So anyway, if Capcom were to get a fighter, here's my perception of likelihood:
  • Extremely Likely: Dante
  • Likely: Phoenix Wright
  • Unlikely: Morrigan, Arthur
  • Very Unlikely: Monster Hunter, Mega Man X
  • lol: Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe
  • Disconfirmed: Zero
Personally I would put Phoenix and Dante on the same wavelength. both have their own merits and pitfalls, and honestly both are kind like polar opposites to each other

Dante is a character that's recently been on Nintendo consoles, has a Vast moveset pool, but that could be a problem with it's Implementation, and while doesn't rep unique Genre, is the founder of the genre already in Smash (the Stylized Action game).

Phoenix is a Psuedo Nintendo character that's recently been on other consoles, doesn't have that much material for moveset on the surfact, but wouldn't have as Many problems with Implmentation liek Dante would have, and would rep a new genre, the Visual novel.

Stuff like that

ya know, I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt this entire time, despite your odd and weird opinions(also your weird capitalization but that's fine) but unless I'm misreading something, you're straight up asking to start a flame war for no reason other than to start one. Which.. I have to say... what the *? More specifically, WHY the * would you ever think that's a good idea?
Okay maybe i should re word it

I don't want a straught flame war that has people Insulting the person or anything, but I don't see a problem with a Full on Debate that could get heated though. If something is out of line there will be people to come in and stop it, and I think we as a Speculation community could be more responsible with these discussions. I think we can.

Pretty sure he's the same guy who came up with the theory that Sakurai would add more female characters based on their chest size or some ****.
I feel like I'm gonna have this fact brought up if I'm being questioned. to be fair though, I at least tried to Accurately give my thought process on why I thought of this idea, and I do see where perhaps this line of thinking was flawed

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The "guessing game" worked because ARMS wasn't constantly getting normal attention from buyers at the time, despite them pushing the game lightly with various tournaments and such. The scene was active on Nintendo's side, but not on the customer's side.

It doesn't work with other franchises as easily, because they don't need attention in the same way. And most other franchises also have a clear cut main character(something ARMS never actually had) so it's not as easy to create a discussion front on Nintendo's part either. It made sense for ARMS.

Not that more discussion is a bad thing in itself, but there's little reason for Nintendo to attempt it again. It has to be a franchise that needs the attention outright. One example could be Shining Force, as it has tons of main characters and all, but that series is pretty much dead right now and barely acknowledged by SEGA(the owners). It's not even active like Banjo-Kazooie is via Rare Replay. It's actually legitimately dead, not "technically by virtue of having no new games".

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
sigh Someday, Captain Commando... someday.
Well, I'd correct my post to acknowledge him, but that would probably come across as mean so I'll just say I'd put him in lol tier because he's got a lot of waiting to do for his turn to come around. Unless of course he gets a revival that really takes off, which I wouldn't be opposed to.

You want fire, eh? Well, here's your anthem.
Why does this sound like a Power Rangers theme song?

D

Deleted member

Okay.. I can understand the couple of people here who advocate for more women in smash,(not entirely but I'm not opening that can of worms)but that reasoning... is just... what?

I don't want a straught flame war that has people Insulting the person or anything, but I don't see a problem with a Full on Debate that could get heated though. If something is out of line there will be people to come in and stop it, and I think we as a Speculation community could be more responsible with these discussions. I think we can.
That's still kinda a flame war though? Again, why do you think this is a good idea, period? Knowing the kinda people who frequent here, irregardless of what precautions you take, a small debate can and will turn into a flame war very.. very quickly. Better to not even bother and just be polite when talking about other's views instead. I'm legit curious as to what your thought process is here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why does this sound like a Power Rangers theme song?
...I wish the latest theme songs were as neat as that. They just tend to go with some boring ones lately. Beast Morphers and R.P.M. had pretty mediocre theme songs(they get catchy after a while), but had actual good script writing/characterization in return. Albeit, it's not like others lack that but also have good music(Time Force, Lightspeed Rescue, Dino Charge) either, but yeah.

...Frankly, it'd be neat to see a theme song like that for the next series, being Dino Fury.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay maybe i should re word it

hahahaha

You underestimate the argumentative nature of humans. If there's a reason to get angry at someone, no matter how petty, we will take it. It is inevitable and inescapable.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay.. I can understand the couple of people here who advocate for more women in smash,(not entirely but I'm not opening that can of worms)but that reasoning... is just... what?

That's still kinda a flame war though? Again, why do you think this is a good idea, period? Knowing the kinda people who frequent here, irregardless of what precautions you take, a small debate can and will turn into a flame war very.. very quickly. Better to not even bother and just be polite when talking about other's views instead. I'm legit curious as to what your thought process is here.
For the Women thing

It was based of a Sakurai interview where he stated his Fetish was "I guess the breast". Because i also heard that the reason Yabuki likes Min-Min so much (and a factor of why she got into Smash) was because yabuki likes Ramen, I thought even such a simple reason like liking breast could actually have an effect on a character's chances, however the line of reasoning is kinda flawed though, for reasons, and I think I learned my lesson

for the Assist Discussion thing, I guess my thought process is that it's not a bad thing if we have a Assist Trophy guessing game. It brings out more voices of other Assist Characters besides Waluigi and Isaac. If a Discussion gets heated we'll figure that one out. and I think we as a community can come together and discuss, with Passion, but without insulting the person and stuff. yes

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For the Women thing

It was based of a Sakurai interview where he stated his Fetish was "I guess the breast". Because i also heard that the reason Yabuki likes Min-Min so much (and a factor of why she got into Smash) was because yabuki likes Ramen, I thought even such a simple reason like liking breast could actually have an effect on a character's chances, however the line of reasoning is kinda flawed though, for reasons, and I think I learned my lesson

for the Assist Discussion thing, I guess my thought process is that it's not a bad thing if we have a Assist Trophy guessing game. It brings out more voices of other Assist Characters besides Waluigi and Isaac. If a Discussion gets heated we'll figure that one out. and I think we as a community can come together and discuss, with Passion, but without insulting the person and stuff. yes
In order to figure out how we'd react to a situation such as this, let's look at how we handle most passionate discussions.

Hmm... It appears that we rammed ourselves against a wall over and over again, to no avail. I'd imagine we'd react similarly to an AT guessing game.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So guys, I got bored, so I decided to make a Tier List based of the Likelihood of a Company getting a character

It's bound to be controversial, so Give your thoughts if you want to. The Indie label Includes Travis, I only mention that because there may be some people that might not consider him Indie, or some that do. It depends

Actual Tier List

Note: Rates chances on Company getting Character, not any other sort of content in the game. It’s also in Order

Top Tier (Confirmed):
Nintendo

High Tier (Highly Likely): Indie

Mid Tier (Goes from Likely to maybe): Activision, Netherrealm Studio, Riot Games, Microsoft, Level-5, Capcom, Square, Falcom, Namco, Sega, Koei Tecmo, Konami

Low Tier (Unlikely, but could still be in): Spike Chunsoft, Arc System Works

Bottom Tier (Very Unlikely, to Almost impossible): Sony, Ubisoft, Bethesda, EA, SNK
Calling Grasshopper indie is roughly the equivalent of calling Falcom indie. Just being small is not what indie means.

7NATOR

Smash Master
In order to figure out how we'd react to a situation such as this, let's look at how we handle most passionate discussions.

Hmm... It appears that we rammed ourselves against a wall over and over again, to no avail. I'd imagine we'd react similarly to an AT guessing game.
Well even then, I still don't think we should just limit the discussion of an Assist Guessing game because it will likely result in some heated debate. Like i say, If we see people ramming themselves into Walls, we try to stop them ramming, simple as that

Plus I think it will do more good than bad. It would make Speculation more interesting, People that are fans of Assist Characters will have their voices heard more often, I can finally discuss Shadow on here again without being seen as Crazy, and in the end we get a Character promoted from Assist to Playable in the same game for the First time. If a Flame war starts that's not good, but it's not like someone is gonna get assassinated or anything

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Well even then, I still don't think we should just limit the discussion of an Assist Guessing game because it will likely result in some heated debate. Like i say, If we see people ramming themselves into Walls, we try to stop them ramming, simple as that

Plus I think it will do more good than bad. It would make Speculation more interesting, People that are fans of Assist Characters will have their voices heard more often, I can finally discuss Shadow on here again without being seen as Crazy, and in the end we get a Character promoted from Assist to Playable in the same game for the First time. If a Flame war starts that's not good, but it's not like someone is gonna get assassinated or anything
If speculation on such a topic like Assist Trophies become playable characters should happen, I think it should happen naturally instead of forcefully.
Perhaps based on evidence, rumors, or even character reveals themselves, instead of a mere thirst for a discussion which would probably run itself off a cliff in due time.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because DragonForce.
You know, this was my second exposure to DragonForce's music. The first? This.

...I wish the latest theme songs were as neat as that. They just tend to go with some boring ones lately. Beast Morphers and R.P.M. had pretty mediocre theme songs(they get catchy after a while), but had actual good script writing/characterization in return. Albeit, it's not like others lack that but also have good music(Time Force, Lightspeed Rescue, Dino Charge) either, but yeah.

...Frankly, it'd be neat to see a theme song like that for the next series, being Dino Fury.
My favorite themes are the ones for Dino Thunder, SPD, and Dino Charge. Never watched the last one but it's theme is really pretty. Not a fan of every theme post RPM being a rendition of the first one though.

EDIT: Coincidentally, Dino Charge's theme is the most original of the newer ones.

I thought the reason was going to be something something sex sells but uh...yeah it's probably best that we just leave this be.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If speculation on such a topic like Assist Trophies become playable characters should happen, I think it should happen naturally instead of forcefully.
Perhaps based on evidence, rumors, or even character reveals themselves, instead of a mere thirst for a discussion which would probably run itself off a cliff in due time.
Well we haven't really gotten Evidence, Rumors, or Character Reveals for awhile have we, but we still discuss characters all the time. Alot of stuff is promoted on the basis of a thrist for Discussion

Calling Grasshopper indie is roughly the equivalent of calling Falcom indie. Just being small is not what indie means.
Well in that case, Where is the Separation between Indie (Independent Companies) and the Regular gaming companies meet at. I'm honestly not entirely sure, that's why just for the tier list, I considered Travis an Indie

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Guessing games are fun until you run out of new points to make, which is usually by the second day.

Then the following few months are not as fun when the conversation is dictated by one topic on loop so there's nothing left to do but get all tribal about it.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
There isn't one. At least, not yet.
There are cases where that's blurry TBF. Torchlight III did appear on the IndieWorld presentation, but its developer (Echtra Games) is fully owned by Perfect World (rather large Chinese company, Valve's Chinese partner).

So... business as usual?
Yup. People keep coming back to the topics seemingly made out of Nintendium after all.

(Edited)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So you’re implying that simply discussing about potential smash characters in a smash forum isn’t interesting as having fanbases go against each other and start debates?
Yeah, ok....
Debates can be fun though. Honestly Myself I Like Debates. I wish I was better at it, but I like debates

Debates doesn't automatically mean flame wars and such. I mean when we discuss Potential Smash characters alot of time it turns into Debates. It's not just people just agreeing with each other

Like If i said Crash as a chance for Smash, there will be some discussion of how likely it will be, but it's not like many are gonna disagree and have new thought processes. Meanwhile, If I said Shadow would be more unique than Axel Stone, there probably be more division on that statement. More new ideas to the table and more new thoughts. Yes

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Guessing games are fun until you run out of new points to make, which is usually by the second day.

Then the following few months are not as fun when the conversation is dictated by one topic on loop so there's nothing left to do but get all tribal about it.
So I guess that means the big brain play is to tell us the category on Friday, then reveal the character on Monday. :p

D

Deleted member

Debates can be fun though. Honestly Myself I Like Debates. I wish I was better at it, but I like debates

Debates doesn't automatically mean flame wars and such. I mean when we discuss Potential Smash characters alot of time it turns into Debates. It's not just people just agreeing with each other

Like If i said Crash as a chance for Smash, there will be some discussion of how likely it will be, but it's not like many are gonna disagree and have new thought processes. Meanwhile, If I said Shadow would be more unique than Axel Stone, there probably be more division on that statement. More new ideas to the table and more new thoughts. Yes
Debates can be fun yes, but not when the entire "debate" is people going head to head, tribal style. It would be pretty much like saying "geno is the worst character ever and should never get in /s" (I need to stress I'm using that phrase as an example, and I don't truly agree with it, for anyone curious) and it turns into a debate over whether or not Geno is good or bad, which as we all know, would go south very fast. It's just quite simply not a good idea to debate when we have nothing to debate over.(aside from the occasional question or hot take that pops up every now and then, that is)

Last edited by a moderator:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

do you really want the newcomer speculation to be lock due to flame wars and possibly online harassment from a lot of fanbases because that's a terrible idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom