• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.D.

Smash Lord
This reads out like speculation more than a leak.

Remember, he said this exact same stuff before and after the last Partner Showcase.
100% sure he never said anything about knowing first party games would be shown on July 20th.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
No, last time he went "WHAT THE **** THIS SUCKS THEY HAVE MORE THEY JUST DON'T WANT TO SHOW" a bit before that direct aired
NGL I still doubt this guy on specifics.

He's getting dates right but his and Kelios' track records for specifics so far is 0. Not sayin' this ain't a possibility, but I have major doubt on next week being the big news blowout everyone wants. :drshrug:

Would love to be wrong, though. :dr^_^:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
NGL I still doubt this guy on specifics.

He's getting dates right but his and Kelios' track records for specifics so far is 0. Not sayin' this ain't a possibility, but I have major doubt on next week being the big news blowout everyone wants. :drshrug:

Would love to be wrong, though. :dr^_^:
As far as I know Nate hasn't said anything that off yet. Unless you've kept up with everything he said?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'll believe Nintendo. They have a flawless track record in predicting when directs happen.
Not to mention that they're the most reliable leakers out there. Who else told us Lucario would be in Brawl? Who else let people see Ryu and Roy? Who else told us how many characters were left for the base game? Who else gave us Brave and the SNK leak?

MooMew64

As far as I know Nate hasn't said anything that off yet. Unless you've kept up with everything he said?
It's more about insiders in general this year: Every Direct that's leaked were touted as being Generals, but then wound up being something completely different. I don't think anyone truthfully knows 100% what's going on at Nintendo right now and Emily Rogers' news this morning already confirms some suspicions I've been having about the extent of how hard they were hit by things this year. I just don't think there's that much to show.

Not to mention we have sources back from earlier this year, who are the original sources for the Mario Remasters, supporting Paper Mario (which happened), no E3 Direct (which happened), no E3 replacement for all of summer (which is proving true so far), more major announcements to be shadow dropped on twitter (has proven true thus far), and Pikmin 3 (was confirmed and shadowed dropped in a tweet, just as original sources claimed).

Then there's the Partner Showcase format, which was introduced as something new and was confirmed by Nintendo to be a series, which implies that there would be more of them. Pikmin 3 was also announced just a few weeks ago before rumblings of a Direct began, and I honestly do not believe Nintendo has enough to show right now that they just dropped Pikmin 3 two or so weeks before they had a major presentation coming. Major presentations like a Nintendo Direct aren't just cobbled together: It takes planning with partners and is done ahead of time to make sure everyone is on the same page and that regional marketing knows what to push. Looking at all these things in play at the moment, I personally don't see this E3 Replacement the fanbase wants right now coming any time soon.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's more about insiders in general this year: Every Direct that's leaked were touted as being Generals, but then wound up being something completely different. I don't think anyone truthfully knows 100% what's going on at Nintendo right now and Emily Rogers' news this morning already confirms some suspicions I've been having about the extent of how hard they were hit by things this year. I just don't think there's that much to show.

Not to mention we have sources back from earlier this year, who are the original sources for the Mario Remasters, supporting Paper Mario (which happened), no E3 Direct (which happened), no E3 replacement for all of summer (which is proving true so far), more major announcements to be shadow dropped on twitter (has proven true thus far), and Pikmin 3 (was confirmed and shadowed dropped in a tweet, just as original sources claimed).

Then there's the Partner Showcase format, which was introduced as something new and was confirmed by Nintendo to be a series, which implies that there would be more of them. Pikmin 3 was also announced just a few weeks ago before rumblings of a Direct began, and I honestly do not believe Nintendo has enough to show right now that they just dropped Pikmin 3 two or so weeks before they had a major presentation coming. Major presentations like a Nintendo Direct aren't just cobbled together: It takes planning with partners and is done ahead of time to make sure everyone is on the same page and that regional marketing knows what to push. Looking at all these things in play at the moment, I personally don't see this E3 Replacement the fanbase wants right now coming any time soon.
Well someone can say to be an insider but that doesn't mean they have good credibility. Some have better track records than others anyway.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Well someone can say to be an insider but that doesn't mean they have good credibility. Some have better track records than others anyway.
So far, those sources for the Mario Remasters are backed up by multiple major publications and near everything they've said has panned out exactly the way they said it would.

Nothing is infallible with insiders, but that's a pretty good track record to me.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If there is a big direct on friday, I would guess it'd have to be in the morning, since japan would want to see it too before the weekend.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Plot twist; it’s a game specific direct introducing a new collab Project between a first party and third party IP.
Fire Emblem + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
(Honestly I said that as a joke but now I kind of want to see it happen just to witness the absurd tone clash between the two franchises)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In which case, maybe it'll be Thursday in the US and the 28th date that's been floating around is the JP date?
I don't know, I guess it could happen. I think there's been a late direct once before tho.. so like, if it's at 8am in america, it'd be around 8=9pm in japan.
Writing it out makes me wonder if really there'd be one that late for them on a friday though.. hmm

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hot Take: If the Super Mario remasters are real, they will be revealed at next year's E3 should it exist. No sooner. There are a few reasons why I think this:
  1. Nintendo seems incapable of getting a full direct together. If that remains true, they likely won't be able to give these games the fanfare they would normally have.
  2. If COVID-19 delayed Pikmin 3's port for three months during its early stages, these could easily suffer the same fate, but since they'd theoretically be holiday titles, that would mean their new release date is next year.
  3. This is the kind of thing that, if it was coming soon, they would have announced it by now. In fact, we probably would have known about it by at least a month or two ago.
Fire Emblem + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
You joke, but watching the Fire Emblem cast wielding guns would be completely worth Rabbid Marth, Rabbid Lyn, Rabbid Robin, and others.

Actually, I think Rabbid versions of the Fire Emblem cast would be a treat in and of itself. lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Quick question: Would this be a good place
You mean this?
View attachment 283177

In all honesty I'd be down for Doomguy in a Jaeger punching out kaiju-sized demons.

D

Deleted member

The direct on the 28th may be another Partner's Showcase.
Kinda figured there was gonna be a catch. Assuming this is true then the odds of a smash reveal this Friday.. well.. goes
752.jpg

It's still possible... maybe? I dunno, Nintendo has only ever done 1 thus far in recent memory so for all we know another company could reveal the next character. I wouldn't put any bets on that though.

MooMew64

To be fair, just because it's a mini doesn't mean it's a Partner Showcase. We could have a standard mini and still get some decent content out of it.
IMO this is the best outcome and what I'll be hoping for. It's also a scenario where the earlier Pikmin 3 announcement could make sense, as a Mini would be an excellent time to do the follow up trailer that showcases what's new.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Amiibo Theory is bullcrap. They have released patches that added nothing but Amiibo compatibility before.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wouldn't that... only help the theory though? Why patch the game with only Amiibo compatibility when you aren't going to release a fighter relatively soon? Why not also.. idk.. do some nerf/buffs, stuff like that while you're at it?
It's something that they have done before. Check the game's patch history. I'm also not expecting a new fighter anytime soon.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nintendo fans: We want a full general direct especially with FP7 announced.
Nintendo: Here's another short boring mini Partner direct with nothing interesting instead.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Then hear my wisdom, and be the judge!

World hard. Kitty cats soft. Watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
First of all, you spelt My Hero Academia wrong.

Secondly, what even IS Amiibo Theory? People always throw it around, but I still don't understand it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nintendo fans: We want a full general direct especially with FP7 announced.
Nintendo: Here's another short boring mini Partner direct with nothing interesting instead.
Bold of you to assume that the Partner direct wouldn't have NMHIII and the NMH1 remaster, exciting fans everywhere while the only people who are upset are the ones expecting every first party ever and Persona 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom