• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Y'know, I don't know why I didn't make a hypothetical pass for Fiora when I did ones for Rex, Elma, and Lora, but better late than never I guess (oh, and Melia too since Future Connected exists).

Really, the only reason it's human Fiora and not Mecha is because I couldn't find a good looking DE render of her. Anyway, plenty of potential with Fiora alone. It's weird how Gaur Plain was the only area theme added in Smash 4. Yeah, I guess without remixes most of the area themes don't really sound like battle themes but there's Animal Crossing music in the game so who cares. As long as they're good tracks might as well include them.

The NPCs that aren't in as spirits yet are more than enough to make up a spirit board, the DE party member renders are just there for filler. Upgradeable spirits should be Gadolt (Into Jade Face), Egil (Into Yaldabaoth), and Zanza (Into Zanza the Divine or something).

It might end up being a flat stage but Prison Island would be a cool stage, whether it is above Eryth Sea or inside the Bionis.

Take a wild guess as to why the classic mode theme is what it is.

I'll admit, Melia does have more potential for a unique playstyle that isn't in Smash yet than Fiora. Managing her elements at all times would make for a very interesting character. Every soundtrack added in Future Connected was great. Add in a couple of High Entia themed tracks and Melia's potential track list could be amazing. All of them would fit well in Alcamoth, too.

Spirits are High Entia and Future Connected characters. I don't think there has to be an upgradeable spirit among these characters, maybe one for Kallian or Lorithia. I'm still debating whether or not Kino and Nene should be separate or together but I'll have them separated for now.

Speaking of Alcamoth, I'd be OK with any version. Pre-Telethia, Telethia infested, or Future Connected, any version would do. It's a unique setting all the time.

Melia was next to the throne of the High Entia so why not pit her against other heirs to the throne? I couldn't find 6 princes/princesses' without repeating series but this line-up should make for a neat classic mode run.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Aww, I loved that little fella!
Honestly, if they were FP11 I'd be all for it lol

I was kinda hoping that the original creator of that animation would make a full-on moveset for Labo Man at one point though, since there's still loads of potential left to be uncovered.
Yeah, I thought he would be the perfect joke character. After the Everyone Is Here trailer it was said to see that his support died down because he wasn't a "fan favorite" pick.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Something interesting to note is that once I saw some comments regarding Doomguy; One of them was that Master Chief would be better because he actually has a plot (Technically the newer Doom games do have a plot, but the Slayer doesn't have even one **** to give about it). Japanese audiences generally prefer a linear, plot-driven experience, while Western players lean more towards a free-roaming experience where they can just do whatever. Think it's a cultural thing. Still, the Japanese fans seem to prefer Master Chief out of the FPS candidates, especially considering how we got an actual Halo anime at some point (Or at least an animated short).
Hmm... interesting. That could be a reason as to why they apparently said no to Doom. They must’ve had several reasons to say no to an iconic franchise like that from a developer that’s been really supportive of them lately.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I was mainly thinking of Bandai-Namco using SoulCalibur as a basis and making it's own thing off of it, but ArcSys works too.
a FE fighting game by ArcSys is the only FE fighting game Id play. I think it would look better in 2D anime form

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yes he is, and he's not even a spirit in Ultimate.
neither is the Bit Trip Runner, who was the first indie character to have a Trophy in 4
Of all the franchises that have been in Smash (discounting those only mentioned in the Brawl Chronicle), the following are not represented in Ultimate:
Miiverse, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Doshin the Giant, bit Generations, English Training, Soccer, Thru/Ketzal's Corridors, BitTrip, Shadow Land, Bravoman, and Tales

I wonder if any will return via DLC or spirit events?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hmm... interesting. That could be a reason as to why they apparently said no to Doom. They must’ve had several reasons to say no to an iconic franchise like that from a developer that’s been really supportive of them lately.
Yeah, that and Japan isn't as big on blood and gore. While Doomguy can be separated from the bloodiness just fine, Nintendo may have though that he wouldn't have enough global appeal, or maybe they're going for a different Bethesda property, like Skyrim.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Of all the franchises that have been in Smash (discounting those only mentioned in the Brawl Chronicle), the following are not represented in Ultimate:
Miiverse, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Doshin the Giant, bit Generations, English Training, Soccer, Thru/Ketzal's Corridors, BitTrip, Shadow Land, Bravoman, and Tales

I wonder if any will return via DLC or spirit events?
I guess Tales is going to be back eventually, maybe wityh a playable fighters but if not I don't see why the mii costume wouldn't be back.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, that and Japan isn't as big on blood and gore. While Doomguy can be separated from the bloodiness just fine, Nintendo may have though that he wouldn't have enough global appeal, or maybe they're going for a different Bethesda property, like Skyrim.
The Vault Boy costume makes me think Dovahkiin is out. Fallout is Elder Scrolls’s sister franchises so I imagine they would’ve saved Vault Boy for then.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright here it is:

Some character playstyle summaries:

Arle (Puyo Puyo): A spell caster +trap setter character. Set up puyos that upon being chained by another releases a elemental magic explosion depending on which color was chained. Once chain reaction hits its time to punish with her magic skills.

Greedy(Ristar): A defense oriented character, Has ton of close range projectiles like black holes, orbs, and laser beams. You work into trying to get the opponent off balance to go for the kill.

Sakura (Sakura Wars): stance change(based off the Stratagems) samurai mech fighter

Sumire (Sakura Wars): a long range Naginata mech fighter, uses similar gimmick Sakura has

Rika (Phantasy Star): A rushdown character, uses her metal claws to tear opponents apart

Risa (Phantasy Star): The super projectile character, based off PSO2 Ranger class, uses Launchers and Rifles for massive destruction

Vyse (Skies of Arcadia): A cross up double sword fighter, uses moon magic for buffs. Receives assist by other Blue Rogue members.

Drachma (Skies of Arcadia): A heavy grappler that can also use moon magic

Busujima (HOTD/Zombie Revenge): a brawler, melee weapon, and gun user. can summon random zombies from the HOTD series like Frank West.

Magician(HOTD): A Zoner character that sets up his fire powers for massive combo damage

Temjin(Virtual-On): a fast rushdown/cross up character. If he gets an opponent from behind its over.

Space Harrier: a projectile character with RNG mechanics. Pulls out Weponalds shop to buy random weapon that could change the fight. Can get Opa-Opa to assist him.

Alex Kidd: a Rock(slow but powerful), Paper(fast but low attack) , Scissor(balance) stance brawler. Also brings out his vehicles.

NiGHTs: Air Juggler fighter. The more the opponent stays in air the more danger their in.

Hotsuma (Shinobi): A fragile but powerful character. Low HP and His sword takes slowly damages him so you need to kill the opponent as fast as possible.

Ulala (Space Channel 5): A trap setter that uses dancing moves and a blaster to fight. You can set up trap up, down, left, right. if caught the opponent gets stunned.

Beat (Jet Set Radio): A crazy leg combo fighter. Depends on stunning opponents with his spray can. Fighting style is reminiscent of Skate from Streets of Rage.

Green(Gunstar Heroes): A form change fighter. changes to his different forms from his boss battle to due rekkas damage.

Alpha Trio (Dinosaur King): a weird Summoner character. Urusula calls out Ed and Zander in her attacks destroy opponents strategies by surprise. Can also call out Terry the T-Rex during supers. Has High HP but is difficult to learn.

If you're wondering where your favorite Sonic or SEGA/Atlus character, they're likley in the game as an assist or stage backgrounds. Some will obviously be saved for DLC or sequel.

Went with 30 unique characters cause thats a good universal roster limit for a first time game series, going anywhere above that would cost alot and be more time consuming. You have to build up.
This is a great roster and I can tell there's a lot of love put into it, but there's some glaring omissions. It feels way too Japan-centric, for one, when Sega historically has done amazing business by targeting every territory with games that appeal to them. Some choices like Ristar and Joe Musashi being out when other characters from their franchises are just odd. Many of the picks are pretty deep cuts, you'd expect this theoretical first game in a series to feature moreso the mainstays of Sega.

It's a great idea though! Would love to see what roster you could come up with for a sequel. And kudos for putting tons of thought towards playstyles, most people who do this kind of thing just make a varied CSS and call it a day with no regards for potential imbalance and redundancies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait, doesn't Nintendo usually gain full rights whenever that happens?
Usually, but exceptions are possible. Comes down to whatever the legalities stipulated, which aren't always the same from case-to-case.

I'm just reading the terrain of the situation, wherein Doshin is the only (non-Rare) IP that has been completely absent since Melee, which is also the last game the developer existed for. And, between the stickers and the spirits, that's a pretty comprehensive list. I mean even Cubivore came back.

It did show up in the Chronicle iirc, but I don't think Nintendo actually needed the rights to list it. I mean Banjo-Kazooie and Final Fantasy are in there.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Usually, but exceptions are possible. Comes down to whatever the legalities stipulated, which aren't always the same from case-to-case.

I'm just reading the terrain of the situation, wherein Doshin is the only (non-Rare) IP that has been completely absent since Melee, which is also the last game the developer existed for. And, between the stickers and the spirits, that's a pretty comprehensive list. I mean even Cubivore came back.

It did show up in the Chronicle iirc, but I don't think Nintendo actually needed the rights to list it. I mean Banjo-Kazooie and Final Fantasy are in there.
I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed that Nintendo owns all the copyright from the Doshin games. I may be misremembering, but I recall watching a Did You Know Gaming video where the director of the games said something to that effect.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Quick question about the rumored Direct, do you guys think we'll get anything ARMS related? I know a few people still think Min Min was meant to be a "shill pick", so I wanted to see how prominent that belief was.
I think we're more likely to see an ARMS 2 next generation than anything more this generation.

I think Nintendo wants it to be an evergreen title. Although, new IPs do lead to same console sequels. I mean, Pikmin 1 and 2 both released on Gamecube for example.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think we're more likely to see an ARMS 2 next generation than anything more this generation.

I think Nintendo wants it to be an evergreen title. Although, new IPs do lead to same console sequels. I mean, Pikmin 1 and 2 both released on Gamecube for example.
Not usually with their multiplayer games, though.

I do think ARMS 2 is an inevitability, I just think it won't be as soon as I originally thought.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do think ARMS 2 is an inevitability, I just think it won't be as soon as I thought.
Oh for sure.

ARMS was a financial and critical success and people like the IP and its characters.

ARMS 2 is an inevitability. But you're right, multiplayer games usually wait til the next console.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Probably for the best that they let ARMS cook a while longer before releasing a sequel. They really need to think of some ways to expand on the concept. The orginal was a good launch title to showcase the capabilities of the Joycons, but the Switch is no longer shiny and new. ARMS needs to be able to stand on its own, and I don't think new stages and characters will be enough.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Many of the picks are pretty deep cuts, you'd expect this theoretical first game in a series to feature moreso the mainstays of Sega.
Really?
Most of the franchise in the roster got new entries, still appear in crossovers, mobile games, referenced, or are still revered by SEGA in general (SoJ loves Gunstar/Guardian Heroes)

The only deep cut one is Greedy cause Ristar popularity is fairly small and I chose him cause he looks cooler as a fighter than Ristar.
Hotsuma is just better than Joe in every way and is a easy clone for Hibana.

A very deep cut is something like Vectorman or Sketch Turner which neither have been acknowledged by SoJ or SoA for decades lol.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If they're going to do an ARMS 2, they're going to do it before the next console generation since unless they're planning on keeping the Joy Cons or something very similar, ARMS won't really be able to exist on the next console.
ARMS can be played with buttons only.

I don't see this as an issue.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Really?
Most of the franchise in the roster got new entries, still appear in crossovers, mobile games, referenced, or are still revered by SEGA in general (SoJ loves Gunstar/Guardian Heroes)

The only deep cut one is Greedy cause Ristar popularity is fairly small and I chose him cause he looks cooler as a fighter than Ristar.
Hotsuma is just better than Joe in every way and is a easy clone for Hibana.

A very deep cut is something like Vectorman or Sketch Turner which neither have been acknowledged by SoJ or SoA for decades lol.
Kinda redundant with my last reply to your roster, but on the Sonic side of things in a Sega-only fighting game I feel there's no universe where they'd include Shadow but not Tails and/or Knuckles in the base roster. I'd argue even if they didn't want Sonic to make any huge percentage of the roster and limited it to 3 at first. At the very least Sonic, Tails, and Eggman (or Knuckles if Eggman is designated a boss-only character which might be a possibility) would be the 3 and they plan from the very beginning to include Shadow as DLC (Where it'd seem like they're answering the inevitable loud campaigns that would be made for Shadow to get in this game once it was shown he's not in the base roster, but really they're grabbing cash from those who are really Shadow-centric in the fanbase). Though perhaps it'd just be easier to include 4-5 Sonic characters (In order to make room for Shadow) in the base which is still what'd I'd expect at minimum out of Sonic even if Sega kept things tight at the 30 character roster spread across all franchises they decide to include.

Even ignoring my favoritism for Tails or even how Tails has rarely been absent from a Sonic game even with games with limited cast, I just can't see the first character other then Sonic and Eggman to appear in the franchise's first motion picture (That had a successful box office performance for Video game movie standards) in the longest time's sequel hook where he'll have an inevitably bigger role in the coming sequel to be passed over if Sega greenlighted a crossover fighter of their own that includes Sonic characters

Perhaps it's a little picky to bother you only about one Sonic character. But when it's a character that still shows up all the time AND one of the few characters comparable to Luigi where the Player 2 is instantly recognizable even amongst those who don't pay attention to Video games as often. It's kind of a big omission :p

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Mega late on this but I suppose I'll leave my Dream pass here as well as my more realistic prediction pass.

Dream
77. Bandana Waddle Dee
78. Rayman
79. Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
80. Hades
81. The Knight

Predictions
77. Rayman
78. Rex and Pyra
79. Neku
80. Bandana Waddle Dee
81. Travis Touchdown

Honorable mentions to Eggman and Kass for the dream pass and Lloyd and Sol for the prediction pass.

Speaking of dreams, I had one this morning that fighter 7 was some enhanced version of female Robin. "Awakened Female Robin" or something like that. Had a very uninspired trailer to. Just a fight between Marth and Mario and her coming to help the former.

Not to open the FE can of worms again but that sounds like a reveal that would be universally hated.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Kinda redundant with my last reply to your roster, but on the Sonic side of things in a Sega-only fighting game I feel there's no universe where they'd include Shadow but not Tails and/or Knuckles in the base roster. I'd argue even if they didn't want Sonic to make any huge percentage of the roster and limited it to 3 at first. At the very least Sonic, Tails, and Eggman (or Knuckles if Eggman is designated a boss-only character which might be a possibility) would be the 3 and they plan from the very beginning to include Shadow as DLC (Where it'd seem like they're answering the inevitable loud campaigns that would be made for Shadow to get in this game once it was shown he's not in the base roster, but really they're grabbing cash from those who are really Shadow-centric in the fanbase). Though perhaps it'd just be easier to include 4-5 Sonic characters (In order to make room for Shadow) in the base which is still what'd I'd expect at minimum out of Sonic even if Sega kept things tight at the 30 character roster spread across all franchises they decide to include.

Even ignoring my favoritism for Tails or even how Tails has rarely been absent from a Sonic game even with games with limited cast, I just can't see the first character other then Sonic and Eggman to appear in the franchise's first motion picture (That had a successful box office performance for Video game movie standards) in the longest time's sequel hook where he'll have an inevitably bigger role in the coming sequel to be passed over if Sega greenlighted a crossover fighter of their own that includes Sonic characters

Perhaps it's a little picky to bother you only about one Sonic character. But when it's a character that still shows up all the time AND one of the few characters comparable to Luigi where the Player 2 is instantly recognizable even amongst those who don't pay attention to Video games as often. It's kind of a big omission :p
Pretty much this

Honestly Even as Someone that's a Huge Shadow Fan, While I would like Shadow to be on Base roster for this hypothetical Fighting game, He makes more sense as DLC. He's definitely the type of character people would pay for. It's like how Rose Black in Xenoverse 2 was the most hyped DLC in the first 4 seasons of Xenoverse 2 DLC. that would be Shadow. Honestly though Shadow would make for a more interesting character with the Time Manipulation and stuff, but yeah DLC

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Something interesting to note is that once I saw some comments regarding Doomguy; One of them was that Master Chief would be better because he actually has a plot (Technically the newer Doom games do have a plot, but the Slayer doesn't have even one **** to give about it). Japanese audiences generally prefer a linear, plot-driven experience, while Western players lean more towards a free-roaming experience where they can just do whatever. Think it's a cultural thing. Still, the Japanese fans seem to prefer Master Chief out of the FPS candidates, especially considering how we got an actual Halo anime at some point (Or at least an animated short).
You mean this?
doomsmash.PNG

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Probably for the best that they let ARMS cook a while longer before releasing a sequel. They really need to think of some ways to expand on the concept. The orginal was a good launch title to showcase the capabilities of the Joycons, but the Switch is no longer shiny and new. ARMS needs to be able to stand on its own, and I don't think new stages and characters will be enough.
I don't know why people think ARMS is tied to the Joycons. Most people who play ARMS competitively use buttons and it's the best way to play the game.

There's this myth that ARMS is just a "tech demo" for the Switch like Wii Sports. But it's actually a game with real depth.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
If anything, i would speculate that both are extremely unpopular in Japan (doom 16 sold like...10k copies and even Halo 3, the very peak of the franchise sold....50k although it was attached to an irrelevant console). But i think the real argument should be whether a truly foreigner driven pick does justify the ambivalence in their home country (to which, naturally the halo franchise is more successful/bigger financially than doom).

But i do want to point out that there is no indication that Nintendo even had any conversations with bethesda on that, especially with the recent Hugo comments. More likely that it wasn't even on their radar - the pool of candidates for a pack of 6 is still very huge and competitive.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
If anything, i would speculate that both are extremely unpopular in Japan (doom 16 sold like...10k copies and even Halo 3, the very peak of the franchise sold....50k although it was attached to an irrelevant console). But i think the real argument should be whether a truly foreigner driven pick does justify the ambivalence in their home country (to which, naturally the halo franchise is more successful/bigger financially than doom).

But i do want to point out that there is no indication that Nintendo even had any conversations with bethesda on that, especially with the recent Hugo comments. More likely that it wasn't even on their radar - the pool of candidates for a pack of 6 is still very huge and competitive.
110k for Halo 3 actually.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Alright here it is:

Some character playstyle summaries:

Arle (Puyo Puyo): A spell caster +trap setter character. Set up puyos that upon being chained by another releases a elemental magic explosion depending on which color was chained. Once chain reaction hits its time to punish with her magic skills.

Greedy(Ristar): A defense oriented character, Has ton of close range projectiles like black holes, orbs, and laser beams. You work into trying to get the opponent off balance to go for the kill.

Sakura (Sakura Wars): stance change(based off the Stratagems) samurai mech fighter

Sumire (Sakura Wars): a long range Naginata mech fighter, uses similar gimmick Sakura has

Rika (Phantasy Star): A rushdown character, uses her metal claws to tear opponents apart

Risa (Phantasy Star): The super projectile character, based off PSO2 Ranger class, uses Launchers and Rifles for massive destruction

Vyse (Skies of Arcadia): A cross up double sword fighter, uses moon magic for buffs. Receives assist by other Blue Rogue members.

Drachma (Skies of Arcadia): A heavy grappler that can also use moon magic

Busujima (HOTD/Zombie Revenge): a brawler, melee weapon, and gun user. can summon random zombies from the HOTD series like Frank West.

Magician(HOTD): A Zoner character that sets up his fire powers for massive combo damage

Temjin(Virtual-On): a fast rushdown/cross up character. If he gets an opponent from behind its over.

Space Harrier: a projectile character with RNG mechanics. Pulls out Weponalds shop to buy random weapon that could change the fight. Can get Opa-Opa to assist him.

Alex Kidd: a Rock(slow but powerful), Paper(fast but low attack) , Scissor(balance) stance brawler. Also brings out his vehicles.

NiGHTs: Air Juggler fighter. The more the opponent stays in air the more danger their in.

Hotsuma (Shinobi): A fragile but powerful character. Low HP and His sword takes slowly damages him so you need to kill the opponent as fast as possible.

Ulala (Space Channel 5): A trap setter that uses dancing moves and a blaster to fight. You can set up trap up, down, left, right. if caught the opponent gets stunned.

Beat (Jet Set Radio): A crazy leg combo fighter. Depends on stunning opponents with his spray can. Fighting style is reminiscent of Skate from Streets of Rage.

Green(Gunstar Heroes): A form change fighter. changes to his different forms from his boss battle to due rekkas damage.

Alpha Trio (Dinosaur King): a weird Summoner character. Urusula calls out Ed and Zander in her attacks destroy opponents strategies by surprise. Can also call out Terry the T-Rex during supers. Has High HP but is difficult to learn.

If you're wondering where your favorite Sonic or SEGA/Atlus character, they're likley in the game as an assist or stage backgrounds. Some will obviously be saved for DLC or sequel.

Went with 30 unique characters cause thats a good universal roster limit for a first time game series, going anywhere above that would cost alot and be more time consuming. You have to build up.
Alright but where’s JOE MUSASHI BABY

How do I delete a post

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I don’t know, it seems like Bethesda had some
form of discussions with Nintendo. I guess Nintendo just wasn’t interested sadly.

The solution to these Doom and Halo debates is simple. Add both characters, their home games have such radically different design philosophies that they'd end up being completely unique in terms of moveset and playstyle
I agree 100%. If we can get such good representation for the JRPG genre (justifiably), then it shouldn’t be unreasonable to ask the same for the FPS genre. Chief, Doom Slayer, Gordon Freeman, Tracer & Heavy could be as diverse in playstyle as Marth, Cloud, Joker, Hero & Pikachu.

I’m definitely the Master Chief guy, but I really want Doom Slayer too. I just don’t support him too much anymore since Bethesda basically said he’s out of the running. But I’ll die of happiness if it turns out they were just lying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom