• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
Obvious other reasons to doubt dubious 4chan posts aside, I seriously doubt Nomura is a sticking point on the licensing process. He personally drew multiple pieces of promotional art for Cloud in Smash. Obviously something is getting in the way of greater FF content in Smash in the Square Enix licensing department, but Nomura seems pretty enthusiastic about it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Speaking of Project X Zone

how would y’all react if we got Project X Zone 3 for Switch, with a few more guest Nintendo characters like Corrin, Byleth, Min Min, Shulk, Elma, Akira Howard, Pit, Palutena, Captain Falcon and Off The Hook and some Sega/Capcom characters that make it into Smash in any form, like Bayonetta, Joker, even bosses like Rathalos?
I'd love to get into the series so I'd be all for it.
View attachment 283128
thoughts on this? I call BS on the "angry over Cloud being base" thing, and the FF lore thing (HOW would Smash conflict with FF lore when KH is a thing??)

i just hope this guy's false... I need my Neku
I like how this post has a tone like "I have information that could lead to the arrest of Masahiro Sakurai"

Aside from that, I see no reason to believe a random 4chan poster claiming to know things that only people in the upper echelons of Nintendo and Square Enix would know.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 283128
thoughts on this? I call BS on the "angry over Cloud being base" thing, and the FF lore thing (HOW would Smash conflict with FF lore when KH is a thing??)

i just hope this guy's false... I need my Neku
Sounds like someone who is against any of AHEM

Geno, Lara Croft, 2B, Sephiroth, Aerith, Tifa, any other FF rep, Adam Jensen, Neku, Rico Rodríguez, nor our lord and savior Gex. I feel like at least ONE of these characters appeals to pretty much everyone.

Seriously though, none of this makes sense. A lot of the FF not getting stuff in Smash reeks of old contracts that probably limits a lot of crossover stuff.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's the literal opposite of Joker's gun, the other characters being yakuza would never be referenced in the context of Smash as Smash doesn't even bother telling us stuff like Shulk, a very basic protagonist, being a man of science who spends almost all day in his lab prior to the events of the game. They'd just show a jpg or some stage cameos and show their names and nothing else. Not to mention Smash has characters who have so much worse **** in their backstories and stuff with no problem
That'd be a solid argument if it weren't for one thing:

The Super Smash Bros. X Yakuza tagline.

....Actually, now that I think about it, the series is called Like a Dragon in Japan, so it actually could be entirely possible to eliminate all direct mentions of the Yakuza from the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate where it would cause the most trouble. Now I really don't see why Kiryu would raise the age rating.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Obvious other reasons to doubt dubioius 4chan posts aside, I seriously doubt Nomura is a sticking point on the licensing process. He personally drew multiple pieces of promotional art for Cloud in Smash. Obviously something is getting in the way of greater FF content in Smash in the Square Enix licensing department, but Nomura seems pretty enthusiastic about it.
He's also close friends with Sakurai, possibly the closest as far as non-Nintendo industry people go.

SQEX's stinginess is a spider web of IP ownership nonsense more than it is any individual person (with the exception of Sugiyama).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Obvious other reasons to doubt dubioius 4chan posts aside, I seriously doubt Nomura is a sticking point on the licensing process. He personally drew multiple pieces of promotional art for Cloud in Smash. Obviously something is getting in the way of greater FF content in Smash in the Square Enix licensing department, but Nomura seems pretty enthusiastic about it.
Thinking about it, man, Nomura's got it good

Not everyone has the bragging rights to say they drew officially-liscenced artwork for both Mario and Mickey Mouse

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

....Actually, now that I think about it, the series is called Like a Dragon in Japan, so it actually could be entirely possible to eliminate all direct mentions of the Yakuza from the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate where it would cause the most trouble. Now I really don't see why Kiryu would raise the age rating.
Honestly I don't see the issue with the age rating to begin with, the game still shows the logos of all games the stages are from, even the M rated ones

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
can anyone do the Playlist Checking Thing(TM) and check if any new private videos have been added to a playlist?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In my experience, some people seem to always think part of why a character gets into Smash is because Sakurai is supposedly close friends with the developers.

Is it because of Snake? It's probably because of Snake.
Prior to a character getting in, people argue that since Sakurai met or knows or mentioned some developer before, they must be friends. After a character gets in, people argue that Sakurai must be a big fan of that series.

Sakurai is a revered, longtime figure within the Japanese game development community, and plays thousands of games. Literally thousands, because he's crazy. Are people expecting he'll speak negatively of any of the people he's met, or he'll malign a game series after it's been included?

I think there's a bit too much reading into to Sakurai's personal life and opinions when trying to make deductions. As far as I'm concerned, Sakurai's bias only extends to Kirby (negatively, at that), and his "friends" getting their characters included began and ended with Snake in Brawl. Even in Ultimate it was due to the demand, since Kojima had already parted ways with Konami.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
there needs to be at least one fake leak with Layton. Someones gotta care about him enough to put him in a fake leak
I'm sure you could just anonymously make your own over on 4chan.

I think. Dunno how it actually works. Still, from what I can gather, hypothetically any one of us could dump a fake leak over there and everyone else would be none the wiser.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I don't know about that, Nomura and Sakurai didn't even know each other prior to Cloud joining Smash.
I mostly meant in the sense of friendships associated with people that still have characters that could get in. Not that we know a ton about Sakurai's relationships, but publicly, Kojima seemed to be at the top but isn't really in the conversation of speculation anymore since Snake got in over a decade ago. Then there's people like Nomura, Kamiya, and Suda51. People also mistake Sakurai being a fan of something with him being friends with the creators, as is the case with Yoko Taro who he met for the first time in December and Kodaka/Uchikoshi who I'm not sure they've ever met.

Again, I'm speaking about what we've seen publicly. Sakurai probably doesn't want to reveal his relationships precisely because of how much of a mess the Smash speculation scene is.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

That's exactly what I was thinking should happen. With the version of the image seen in the western direct making for some good chuckles.

Just make the spirits revolve around most of the heroes of the franchise and I'm sure it would be fine, and a Nishiki spirit. You gotta have him there.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think people really overthink Yakuza's tagline. If it really was a problem (I doubt it would be), just call it "Like a Dragon".

Truth be told, Yakuza is very, very easy to tone down for Smash. Toning down Kiryu is incredibly easy when there isn't much to do already: The dude punches, kicks, throws, and swings around and throws big objects, which Smash characters already do lol. Heck, even Majima would be fine: He has plenty of heat actions and moves that would work in an E10 rating by simply not having blood.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think people really overthink Yakuza's tagline. If it really was a problem (I doubt it would be), just call it "Like a Dragon".

Truth be told, Yakuza is very, very easy to tone down for Smash. Toning down Kiryu is incredibly easy when there isn't much to do already: The dude punches, kicks, throws, and swings around and throws big objects, which Smash characters already do lol. Heck, even Majima would be fine: He has plenty of heat actions and moves that would work in an E10 rating by simply not having blood.
This is the absolute worst I've seen Kiryu get, and barring one or two moments, Kiryu's non-fatal takedowns are so over-the-top that they actually would work SUPER well in Smash.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
This is the absolute worst I've seen Kiryu get, and barring one or two moments, Kiryu's non-fatal takedowns are so over-the-top that they actually would work SUPER well in Smash.
Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone: Those bullets were rubber and everyone was wearing ketchup packets that day.

What's hilarious is that even when Kiryu uses a weapon to straight up stab a dude, they'll show them fine after the encounter lol.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone: Those bullets were rubber and everyone was wearing ketchup packets that day.
You people have little faith. It's obvious he's only taking people's stocks, not killing them.

Every fight in Yakuza is just a Stamina Match, that's all.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So, Direct Friday apparently?

I've been out of the loop for a few weeks now, anyone got an ELI5 of the newest rumors?
Nate Drake and Captain Tsubasa and Jeff Grubb and Gamexplain are all talking about a non-partner direct for the 28th after they nailed the indie world from this week. Kelios also returned from the grave to support their claims.

D

Deleted member

I've been out of the loop for a few weeks now, anyone got an ELI5 of the newest rumors?
That's the rumor. It's the last possible chance for one in August since they don't have them on Saturdays or Sundays.

You got some twitter people we've never heard of before hyping it up and you've got people on restera who said this would be the big direct whereas the ones before this were 'appetizers' (though they weren't very appetizing).

All 'leaks' and 'rumors' since the beginning of August have been leading to this one.

So as far as whether there will be a Direct this Friday or not, I can give you a hard 'maybe'

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
To be a bit fair to the guy, it was something he said in the heat of the moment while he was getting bombarded by hundreds of angry messages
Because toying with the hearts of starved Nintendo fans with something as shaky and unpredictable as the primary news source for the newest of all things Nintendo is a great idea in the first place.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Because toying with the hearts of starved Nintendo fans with something as shaky and unpredictable as the primary news source for the newest of all things Nintendo is a great idea in the first place.
lol "toying with the hearts". Relax. The guy said there would be a Direct on that day and there was one. Nobody anticipated it was a new type of Direct created to fulfill some contractual obligations.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Regarding Xenoblade characters.

I feel its Rex or no one.

Remakes don't really affect character choice (barring maybe two characters in Brawl) and Xenoblade Chronicles X has to directly compete with its more successful younger sibling.

I don't see how Elma or a XC1 will get picked.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
lol "toying with the hearts". Relax. The guy said there would be a Direct on that day and there was one. Nobody anticipated it was a new type of Direct created to fulfill some contractual obligations.
Oh, that.
Honestly, I don't really pay attention (or sometimes even remember) the specific names of leakers all the time but I do remember that particular day.

In that case, I personally wasn't all that bitter and I think people overreacted a bit too much.
In fact, I resonate with the claim that Nintendo probably wanted to separate some of the partner focused games from their own showcase of Nintendo-related content, thus creating Partner-Focused directs in order to temper expectations.

(Although, I still feel that leakers sometimes cause too many problems for themselves and for people who they're leaking to over stuff which would be better announced by Nintendo themselves).

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Well, Asha does have her Pepelogoo that she can command, leap off of, and hang onto. She'd also probably have a big, invincible shield she could pull out like Pit's down special from Brawl. I think stuff like that could make her unique enough.

Nigel? Uh... Guess you got me there. Maybe he could make use of his different magical swords? They're all listed on this page, which I'm linking since I don't feel like explaining what they do myself.

If this imaginary game were real, I'd be pretty bummed if Ali was considered but didn't make the cut, lol. It's your call in the end, though.
Im thinking terms of fast MvsC gameplay so i dont really think Asha would work well in that regard. I played Landstalker, I still dont think theres enough to go with Nigel sadly, Friday only really heals him so thats really only her use. The summoner character I had in mind was DemiFiend but couldn't fit him in lol, so it had to be Joker in the end and a weirder character.

I finished the roster but smash boards image posting still doesn't work.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Quick question about the rumored Direct, do you guys think we'll get anything ARMS related? I know a few people still think Min Min was meant to be a "shill pick", so I wanted to see how prominent that belief was.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Quick question about the rumored Direct, do you guys think we'll get anything ARMS related? I know a few people still think Min Min was meant to be a "shill pick", so I wanted to see how prominent that belief was.
i guess they COULD give a story mode expansion for DLC a la Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion, though idk how they'd pull it off

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Regarding Xenoblade characters.

I feel its Rex or no one.

Remakes don't really affect character choice (barring maybe two characters in Brawl) and Xenoblade Chronicles X has to directly compete with its more successful younger sibling.

I don't see how Elma or a XC1 will get picked.
Yeah but like, Elma is so much cooler.

Makes me kinda sad they would go with a less interesting character if they went with Xenoblade in the Pass.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The first thing in my recommendations after seeing this video was "Majima has a problem with killing people."
Ah, the duality of man.

At the very least, the date given by the leakers is the 28th, though I'm not sure if that's the date for the actual livestream or if it's just the announcement, with the actual presentation being on the 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom