• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
...Not exactly. Mortal Kombat hasn't had many official translations, and more importantly, the translations it's had aren't recent.

Touhou, on the other hand, has 12 of it's 30 games on Steam. While the majority of those games are left untranslated, that's only because the fans will just create their own translation in a couple days, which arguably is a point for Reimu-If the fans are dedicated enough that ZUN doesn't even need to translate the games, surely there's a Western market for Reimu. In addition, these ports have happened recently, ever since 2015 (Though they didn't hit Steam until 2017). It's not just for the games either; Forbidden Scrollery has gotten an official translation in 2017 as well.

In addition, Mortal Kombat is owned by a large Western company, while Touhou is owned by just one guy in Japan who's probably one of the most lax game makers there is. ZUN and Ed Boon both want their creations in Smash, but the road from ZUN to Nintendo is much shorter than Ed's.
Oh yeah, the Logistics are different. Touhou is much easier to license, and the Niche market in the West is probably bigger than MK Niche in Japan.

I only say Scorpion is Inverse Reimu because both have their reigons they are Very Iconic in, and one where it's not that much. They are both on extremes. the details are different, but the idea is kinda similiar between the both of them

Also separate from this post, but is there a Possibility that we'd get someone like Iron Man or Wolverine before someone like Goku. Goku's Licensing is Very Extreme, there's like 7 different companies. Marvel Characters are mostly owned by Disney from what I know. there is the whole spiel about the movie right,s but it's probably much easier than going for Goku.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course, we do have people like me doubting that they're trying to top Ryu and Cloud being part of Smash 4's DLC. I am willing to discuss plenty of third-party characters though as long as it's actually about the characters and not "They HAVE to be making Cloud's reveal look like Corrin's with every remaining FP2 character! I refuse to accept any other idea!"
I'm not sure how many people are actually saying that.

D

Deleted member

Alright, gots another question for ya'll:

If you could pick any 1 Mii/Assist trophy to get a full playable character upgrade, which would you pick?

For me?.. well it's obvious...
yOu'Re gOnnA HaVe A BaD TIme

Last edited by a moderator:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Sakurai is always raising the bar with how hype character reveals can be. From Sonic/Snake in Brawl, to Cloud in Smash 4. Which character would be internet-breaking upon reveal for Ultimate, one that would make people realize "holy ****, the floodgates have opened and now there are even more crazy possibilities for Smash!"

Not counting 4th parties, or characters already introduced in Ultimate.
Da Master Chief. Chief would be extremely huge. Chief could even lead to someone like Kratos joining who would be an honorable mention.

Chief is the face of Microsoft that shaped 2 entire generations of gamers and having him would tear the Internet in half. Cloud vs Samus vs Snake vs Chief? Come on, who wouldn't enjoy that?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

If you could pick any 1 Mii/Assist trophy to get a full playable character upgrade, which would you pick?

yOu'Re gOinG to HaVe A BaD TIme
As of current, I'm rooting for Isaac, and you all know I'm pretty confident in his chances.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

- Bomberman

29c.jpg

Still kind of shocks me that he didn't become a playable fighter and personally I think he got the biggest screw over out of all assist trophy's, Made a lot of sense and seemed like a shoe in among the likes of other 80's Arcade/NES icons such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man and Mega Man.

Personally I think he would have had a better chance if Hudson Soft was still around and the company wasn't absorbed under Konami probably facing new competition among the likes of Snake and Belmont.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Imagine how touching it'd be if Master Chief and Kratos/Sackboy got in, symbolizing the unification of the gaming industry instead of the way people typically think of it; consoles pitted against each other on a battlefield.

Though, I'm not sure how willing Sony would be to join in on the fun. I don't know much about Sony in the gaming industry to be honest, I was never into Playstation aside from the PS1. Would Sony really be that "stingy" if Sakurai reached out?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Tiki, she is one of if not my favorite Fire Emblem character. I thought she had pretty good chances before launch honestly, She appears in multiple games that are not sequels or remakes, She is popular, She would have an entirely unique moveset etc.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Bomberman without a doubt.

View attachment 282960

Still shocks me that he didn't become a playable fighter and personally I think he got the biggest screw over out of all Assist Trophy's.
Short of becoming playable I think he most got screwed over by getting taken out of the running right at the beginning and missing out on all the popularity that almost two years of primarily focusing on third-parties would grant a character who was already regaining demand thanks to his revival.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
As a longtime Touhou fan, it feels kind of nice to see how prevalent Reimu discussion has become, as she's been considered an impossible/meme pick for as long as I could remember.

For me it's Alucard all the way!
7149f87d3c319fd068fdf0993dd62695.jpg

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai is always raising the bar with how hype character reveals can be. From Sonic/Snake in Brawl, to Cloud in Smash 4. Which character would be internet-breaking upon reveal for Ultimate, one that would make people realize "holy ****, the floodgates have opened and now there are even more crazy possibilities for Smash!"

If we stick to videogame characters, the answer would be Sora, Master Chief or a Sony character, which I'd put above the other two to be honest, specially if it's Kratos or Nathan Drake. My reasoning is that, as we know, Nintendo and Microsoft are open to collaborate with each other, even if not that much. And of course, Banjo in Smash.
While in the other hand, Nintendo and Sony doing any kind of crossover or collaboration would be really surprising (and exciting). In my opinion the only character that would make a bigger buzz than a Sony character would be Goku or something like that, and honestly, I'm not even sure of that.

I mean Banjo was obviously incredibly surprising, but at that point Microsoft and Nintendo already collaborated together. Sony and Nintendo are in a different situation.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

All I can think of when asked this question, is...

I'd also just explode with happiness if Midna or Ashley got in.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Imagine how touching it'd be if Master Chief and Kratos/Sackboy got in, symbolizing the unification of the gaming industry instead of the way people typically think of it; consoles pitted against each other on a battlefield.

Though, I'm not sure how willing Sony would be to join in on the fun. I don't know much about Sony in the gaming industry to be honest, I was never into Playstation aside from the PS1. Would Sony really be that "stingy" if Sakurai reached out?
Probably. Sony's not very sociable compared to Microsoft, and their rogues gallery doesn't have the overwhelming support that Banjo did. Banjo got in through fan demand, and now Master Chief and Steve? have that as well, plus relevance and recency, but that would've meant nothing had Microsoft not wanted to play ball. Sony's reps have none of those advantages, and so their chances are pretty slim at the moment.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

Tough call between Alucard and Zero.
I quite like the idea of Zero bringing the real lightning loops to Smash though so probably him.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Honestly, I don't think any regularly speculated character would raise the bar anymore. The big 3rd party floodgates have been opened since Brawl, and the direct competitor ones are now opened with Banjo. Master Chief, Kratos, Ratchet, any big 3rd party; the fact these aren't in the realm of impossible anymore kind of brings down the bar-raising aspect of it imo. Even characters with their own company-related barriers like Sora, while hype, would feel almost pseudo-expected at this point.

I think to truly raise the bar, Sakurai would have to go beyond his already established stated rules (as in not fan-made ones). The thing is the only one that would actually break the internet is the 4th party one, and I don't think he wants to do that, nor do a lot of people want to see Smash become that.

So what if he chose a character on the border? Someone that technically didn't originate in a game, but in a space adjacent to games and has since gotten several to the point a major gaming company has a stake in their ownership. A juggernaut of memes, music (to the point of getting invited to Coachella before it got cancelled), and advertising with some of the most unlikely cross-overs both in the game world and out. Someone with several places to pull a moveset from.

If you still don't know who I'm talking about, well....

She would ABSOLUTELY break the internet, but it wouldn't just be hype obviously. There'd be a lot of salt, a lot of "ew anime", a lot of "technically not a game character!", some "meme pick!" and other such toxicity. A character that would probably be more divisive than even the most controversial regularly speculated characters. And for the non-extremely online people, a character that would probably mean absolutely nothing to them.

It's not gonna happen, but I genuinely think there's no (game) character that would cause a bigger reaction, both good and bad and not just your standard loud hype like what Chief would give us. You'd have to start adding in characters like Goku to go beyond that.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think any regularly speculated character would raise the bar anymore. The big 3rd party floodgates have been opened since Brawl, and the direct competitor ones are now opened with Banjo. Master Chief, Kratos, Ratchet, any big 3rd party; the fact these aren't in the realm of impossible anymore kind of brings down the bar-raising aspect of it imo. Even characters with their own company-related barriers like Sora, while hype, would feel almost pseudo-expected at this point.

I think to truly raise the bar, Sakurai would have to go beyond his already established stated rules (as in not fan-made ones). The thing is the only one that would actually break the internet is the 4th party one, and I don't think he wants to do that, nor do a lot of people want to see Smash become that.

So what if he chose a character on the border? Someone that technically didn't originate in a game, but in a space adjacent to games and has since gotten several to the point a major gaming company has a stake in their ownership. A juggernaut of memes, music (to the point of getting invited to Coachella before it got cancelled), and advertising with some of the most unlikely cross-overs both in the game world and out. Someone with several places to pull a moveset from.

She would ABSOLUTELY break the internet, but it wouldn't just be hype obviously. There'd be a lot of salt, a lot of "ew anime", a lot of "technically not a game character!", some "meme pick!" and other such toxicity. A character that would probably be more divisive than even the most controversial regularly speculated characters. And for the non-extremely online people, a character that would probably mean absolutely nothing to them.

It's not gonna happen, but I genuinely think there's no (game) character that would cause a bigger reaction, both good and bad and not just your standard loud hype like what Chief would give us. You'd have to start adding in characters like Goku to go beyond that.
I WOULD LOVE HATSUNE MIKU

you could consider her a video game character if you use the logic of Mario Paint, Mario Paint and Vocaloid are both tools and Mario Paint has an Assist trophy, Bada bing bada boom Hatsune Miku Confirm.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Assist Trophy: Shadow*
Mii Costume: Ninjara (:ultminmin's Echo)

*Base game

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I wanna say either Shovel Knight or Eevee. Can't quite decide between the two

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I WOULD LOVE HATSUNE MIKU

you could consider her a video game character if you use the logic of Mario Paint, Mario Paint and Vocaloid are both tools and Mario Paint has an Assist trophy, Bada bing bad boom Hatsune Miku Confirm.
Hell, we got a real-ass person in Smash (Dr. Kawashima). Software isn't too far of a stretch.

That said, I wouldn't really compare Miku to stuff originating in Mario Paint, a franchise that's still primarily gaming. She exists more in the real of characters like Clippy or Mavis Beacon, just obviously with more staying power and has branched out much further. And of course there's a big difference between assist trophies and fully playable characters.

I think it all depends on just how much Sakurai is willing to stretch his definition of "game character". Miku stands alongside Geralt as one of the few gray areas. Possible, but extremely unlikely, but man would I love to see it.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

My first thought was Bomberman, but he was already mentioned. There's some others that I'd like to see, also mentioned, but my biggest pipedream at the moment that fits into that category is X. I think he'd make great contrast with Mega Man, I'd love it if they used his weapons a bunch to give him more oomph.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I mean, she created Minecraft. That HAS to be deserving of SOMETHING, right?

Though I'll admit, I'm still confused on if she even qualifies for Smash. Sega apparently considered her for one of their racing games, though, so there's that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
"I don't feel so good. Why are all my limbs slack? Why can't I move my eyes? hooh... Why can't I move my mouth? Is this an internal dialogue? I can't see the end of the horizon-"

"HATSUNE MIKU?!?!? IS THAT YOU?!? Have you fum-finally come to put me out of my misery!? Please, I don't like feeling like a slack three-dimensional model!"

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice

Only if they get Scott to do her reveal trailer

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

If I had to choose one I'd go with Skull kid. Great moveset potential and Zelda is long overdue for a new characters. I would also enjoy a lot Ashley, Krystal and Cuphead (although I think that last one would pretty hard to respect the franchise art style in Smash).

I mean, she created Minecraft. That HAS to be deserving of SOMETHING, right?

Though I'll admit, I'm still confused on if she even qualifies for Smash. Sega apparently considered her for one of their racing games, though, so there's that.
That same game have Wreck it Ralph and Danica Patrick as a playable character so I don't think it's really a good source about if Miku could be in Smash.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I haven't played Kingdom Hearts so I could be super wrong but...Aren't Rex and Sora very similar characters? Like, if one bothered you wouldn't the other as well?
Not really, no. In terms of character I guess you could say they're kinda similar in the regards that both are the happy-go-lucky "my friends are my power!!!" kinda guy, but their respective arcs differ significantly.

In terms of combat though, they couldn't be any less similar. Rex has a variety of different close range weapons via switching blades, whereas Sora has a plethora of long and short range moves alongside a bunch of other stuff.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If I had to choose one I'd go with Skull kid. Great moveset potential and Zelda is long overdue for a new characters. I would also enjoy a lot Ashley, Krystal and Cuphead (although I think that last one would pretty hard to respect the franchise art style in Smash).

That same game have Wreck it Ralph and Danica Patrick as a playable character so I don't think it's really a good source about if Miku could be in Smash.
Okay, so I double checked, and apparently it went something like this. Fans wanted more characters added to Transformed, so the game director had them vote for characters for him to nominate to Sega. Those characters were Ryo Hazuki (who was later added), Hatsune Miku, Segata Sanshiro, Vectorman, ToeJam & Earl, Bayonetta, and Ristar. Figured it would be best to clarify that, though I don't know if it helps Miku's case any.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If there are any characters that would usurp Snake (Brawl AND Ultimate were hype) or Cloud, or Joker, I would have to say it would be Sora, Master Chief, or Kratos.

Sora is essentially the “white whale”. A character that has been asked for for years, but one that has never materialized. A character that involves one of the biggest and potentially complicated companies to negotiate with, and is still seen by some as an impossibility. Would be a major addition.

Master Chief is a console seller mascot. This would be on the same tier as Mario being added to PSASBR. Even with Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief is a character that very few people, let’s be honest, in their heart of hearts, believes is getting in. Would be earth shattering.

Kratos (or evening Nathan Drake) is similar to Master Chief, just without the foot in the door of Banjo-Kazooie. Is Mario in PSASBR-tier.

If you really want to make a “tier” list of speculated characters, the “profile” of the character and rank...you’d probably find these three in the “SSS” tier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom